PDA

View Full Version : A Texan's take

Cuda
11-30-2008, 09:29 PM
THE COUNTRY OF TEXAS

Please note that Texas is the only state with a legal right to secede from the
Union. (Reference the Texas-American Annexation Treaty of 1848.) We Texans love y'all, but we'll probably have to take action since B. Hussein Obama won the election. We'll miss you too.

Here is what can happen:

#1: Barack Hussein Obama becomes President of the United States, Texas
immediately secedes from the Union.

#2: George W. Bush will become the President of the Republic of Texas.

So what does Texas have to do to survive as a Republic?

1. NASA is just south of Houston, Texas. We will control the space industry.

2. We refine over 85% of the gasoline in the United States.

3. Defense Industry--we have over 65% of it. The term "Don't mess
with Texas," will take on a whole new meaning.

4. Oil - we can supply all the oil that the Republic of Texas will need for the
next 300 years. Yankee states? Sorry about that.

5. Natural Gas - again we have all we need and it's too bad about those
Northern States. John Kerry will have to figure out a way to keep them warm....

6. Computer Industry - we currently lead the nation in producing computer chips
and communications--small companies like Texas Instruments, Dell Computer, EDS,
Raytheon, National Semiconductor, Motorola, Intel, AMD, Atmel, Applied
Materials, Ball Miconductor, Dallas Semiconductor, Delphi, Nortel, Alcatel,
etc, etc. The list goes on and on.

7. Medical Care - We have the largest research centers for cancer research, the
best burn centers and the top trauma units in the world, as well as other large
health centers. Dallas has some of the best hospitals in the United States.

8. We have enough colleges to keep us going: University of Texas, Texas
A&M, Texas Tech, Rice, SMU, University of Houston, Baylor, UNT (University
of North Texas), Texas Women's University, etc. Ivy grows better in the
South anyway.

9. We have a ready supply of workers. We could just open the border when we
need some more.

10. We have essential control of the paper industry, plastics, insurance, etc.

11. In case of a foreign invasion, we have the Texas National Guard and the
Texas Air National Guard. We don't have an Army, but since everybody down
here has at least six rifles and a pile of ammo, we can raise an Army in 24
hours if we need one. If the situation really gets bad, we can always call the
Department of Public Safety and ask them to send over Chuck Norris and a couple
of Texas Rangers.

12. We are totally self-sufficient in beef, poultry, hogs, and several types of
grain, fruit and vegetables, and let's not forget seafood from the Gulf.
Also, everybody down here knows how to cook them so that they taste good.
Don't need any food.

This just names a few of the items that will keep the Republic of Texas in good
shape. There isn't a thing out there that we need and don't have.

Now to the rest of the United States under President Obama:

Since you won't have the refineries to get gas for your cars, only
President Obama will be able to drive around in his big 9 mpg SUV. The rest of
the United States will have to walk or ride bikes.

You won't have any TV as the Space Center in Houston will cut off satellite
communications.

You won't have any natural gas to heat your homes, but since Mr. Obama has
predicted global warming, you will not need the gas as long as you survive the
2000 years it will take to get enough heat from Global Warming.

Signed, The People of Texas

P.S. This is not a threatening letter - just a note to give you something to
think about!

SLEEP WELL TONIGHT THE EYES OF TEXAS ARE UPON YOU!!

harbormaster
11-30-2008, 09:45 PM
That about sums it up...

txtaz
12-01-2008, 06:34 AM
Yep we are pretty self sufficient.

We were at one time our own Nation from 1836 to 1846 and created as a result of the Texas Revolution.

We are a rare and unique state.

Da Taz<---Vote yes for open carry laws.

gcarter
12-01-2008, 06:38 AM
I remember in '73 when the oil embargo was in place and Congress took away the depletion allowance (ya see, Congress is no ones friend), the most favorite bumper sticker in Texas read;

"Let the bastards freeze in the dark"

zelatore
12-01-2008, 11:56 AM
And they say the people out here in the Bay area of CA are different.

Everyone I've met from Texas was......different.

But damn, can they cook.

A lot of what you've enumerated is good stuff. But you can have W back - we're good there.

gcarter
12-01-2008, 12:33 PM

But damn, can they cook.

A lot of what you've enumerated is good stuff. But you can have W back - we're good there.

One thing you can say about most Texans is they don't want government doing anything for them.
They're definately not lined up asking for more, or special "rights".

txtaz
12-01-2008, 02:18 PM
But damn, can they cook.

At least we we put murderers to death and not let them free for other states to deal with and we know which gender clothes to wear.

Da Taz

Tony
12-01-2008, 02:46 PM
We are a rare and unique state.

As evidenced by the content of this thread! :yes:

:beer:

Tony
12-01-2008, 02:49 PM
#2: George W. Bush will become the President of the Republic of Texas.

Well, okay... :eek:

By the way, Harbormaster, your new avatar is saweeet!

chappy
12-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Can we send the Dixie Chicks back to Dallas, or do we have to keep them?

:kingme:

Donziweasel
12-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Rich, unfortunatly, I don't think Texas wants the Dixie Chicks back.:wink:

Cuda
12-01-2008, 09:10 PM
At least we we put murderers to death and not let them free for other states to deal with and we know which gender clothes to wear.
Da Taz
I liked when GW was governor of Texas, and his bother, Jeb, was the governor here in Florida. They had a contest going on who could fry the most murderers.

gcarter
12-02-2008, 03:42 AM
I don't know, you Texans can dress kinda funny all on your own... :eek: :eek:
Scott, that is not a Texan.
He's obviously a circus performer, after all (he?) appears to be in a parade.

txtaz
12-02-2008, 06:13 AM
I don't know, you Texans can dress kinda funny all on your own... :eek: :eek:

Nice try pissy fuzzy one. My guess is that's from a parade in San Fransisco.

Yeah Joe, GW did a great job as governor and we did put down some bad people. I didn't know there was a competition going on and it sounds like it was a good one.

Who ever has the Dixie Chicks can keep them. They might get shot around here.

Da Taz

Cuda
12-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Yeah Joe, GW did a great job as governor and we did put down some bad people. I didn't know there was a competition going on and it sounds like it was a good one.
Da Taz
The Dixie Chicks should be shipped to Gitmo.

Cuda
12-02-2008, 06:31 AM
Da Taz
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_JZUHFuklo8

BigGrizzly
12-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Hey I like Texans, they don't beg congress for anything, Like Iowa during the flood, More homes and buisiness were lost then New Orleans did and no FEMA AND NO complaints they just fixed it. BTW you didn't hear much on the news about it either. Maybe the others could listen to them thar people in these states and fix their own problems.

Cuda
12-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Hey I like Texans, they don't beg congress for anything, Like Iowa during the flood, More homes and buisiness were lost then New Orleans did and no FEMA AND NO complaints they just fixed it. BTW you didn't hear much on the news about it either. Maybe the others could listen to them thar people in these states and fix their own problems.
That's the truth Randy.

They were brought up not expecting the govt to care for them from the cradle to the grave.

Read my sig line.

justleft
12-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Texas controls the paper industry ?

Thought it took trees to make paper. :bonk:

Don't get me wrong, I have lived in Houston, Dallas, San Angelo and spent
allot of time in Austin. I think Texas is great but I don't remember
the great Texas forest.

I guess that must recycled paper :wink:

zelatore
12-02-2008, 12:11 PM

Don't get me wrong, I have lived in Houston, Dallas, San Angelo and spent
allot of time in Austin. I think Texas is great but I don't remember
the great Texas forest.

I guess that must recycled paper :wink:

I saw that as well. I thought maybe the people in the NW might question it, but like me they've decided to keep their head's down for fear of a giant steeming pile of doo being flung their direction.

(duck!)

gcarter
12-02-2008, 01:24 PM
East Texas is the geographic center of the pulp and lumber industry.
If you start about 30-50 miles east of Houston, go north all the way to the OK border and then east to Louisiana, you'll see tens of thousands of square miles of forests.
In fact, that industry extends due east through Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and the Carolinas.

gcarter
12-02-2008, 01:29 PM
There's no question the NW raises a lot of large trees.
What the southern forests are noted for is "Super Trees" that mature in 20 years and are ready for harvesting for pulp and pine lumber.

Team Jefe
12-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Actually, I'd bet our Pink Cowboy is closer to Cuba than San Fran. Maybe a little island that Buffett and Hemingway used call Home.:lookaroun:

Before we get off on one of our little Texas against the World tirades, let me just say that with all our boasting and posturing about how great Texas is.....and Every Word of its TRUE:wink: I have been blessed with meeting people associated with this website from all over this country and all-a-y'all are the only reason I have any hope for that this great nation will not got to he!l in a hand-basket.

Besides, there are really two kinds of people...Texans anf those that want to be Texan:kingme:......what, you didn't think I was gonna end with that touchy-feely stuff did you?

zelatore
12-02-2008, 06:40 PM
What was that old line?

Something about 'There's only two things that come from Texas....'

Asbestos underwear on!

gcarter
12-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Jefe, I second every word you wrote.

Don, I guess we get a little defensive and it must seem like being bombed from the sky from a large bird, but we still like you guys from the Left Coast.

As far as your last post, well, I don't know if it's actually true. But I do know having visited your neighborhood that if you saw or met one, you would know.:wink:

txtaz
12-03-2008, 07:03 AM
What was that old line?
Asbestos underwear on!

AND I bet it's pink with frilly lace.:eek::nilly: You asked for it.

Actually it's a compliment because the more people make fun of something usually means they are jealous of it.

Did you see the news article about San Francisco and the moral attitudes about sex? Basically you guys are writing yourself out of existence. The weirder you get, the less the world wants to do with you. This is a shame since there is some culture there. It's a case of left wingers gone wild. See what you get?

Da Taz<---Yeah let some pinko commie fag walk down my street, it would look like a shooting gallery. :shocking::shocking::shocking:

gcarter
12-03-2008, 09:01 AM
AND I bet it's pink with frilly lace.:eek::nilly: You asked for it.

Actually it's a compliment because the more people make fun of something usually means they are jealous of it.

Did you see the news article about San Francisco and the moral attitudes about sex? Basically you guys are writing yourself out of existence. The weirder you get, the less the world wants to do with you. This is a shame since there is some culture there. It's a case of left wingers gone wild. See what you get?

Da Taz<---Yeah let some pinko commie fag walk down my street, it would look like a shooting gallery. :shocking::shocking::shocking:
Don, please note it wasn't me that said this....whether I agree w/it or not.:wink:

zelatore
12-03-2008, 09:59 AM
I had a nice reply comparing California and Texas, then I accidentally bumped the esc key and lost it. Probably for the best. I think I could be on thin ice here...

To summarize, Californian, and San Francisco specifically, has a very 'if it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone, why should I make you stop?' sort of attitude. Just like those in the rest of the country only see little snippets of this area and think 'there go the fruits and nuts again', we sit here in our bay area looking out at all of you and think 'there go the fanatics and wackos again'.

And like always, I rarely agree with the extreme from either side.

And also like always, neither group actually sees very much of the other. Believe it or not, we have right-wingers here too! And you know what? I bet there are some Texans who aren't Conservative Christian, Right Wing Republican, Straight White American Males.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVkPKIo2Kew
(sorry, I was waiting to work that into the song chain thread but just couldn't pull it off)

Now, you should probably stop speculating about my underwear if you want to keep some distance from that whole steers and queers sort of thing....:wink:

(FWIW, I also dig Lyle Lovett’s ‘You’re not from Texas’ – and I saw it performed here in the Bay area. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMhaehb5AnE )

txtaz
12-03-2008, 10:19 AM
I had a nice reply comparing California and Texas, then I accidentally bumped the esc key and lost it. Probably for the best. I think I could be on thin ice here...

Usually "CTRL + Z" will undo the last keyboard action. Sometimes F2.

Now we can agree on something.

Now, you should probably stop speculating about my underwear

You put your head on the chopping block, I just took a swing. :wink::bonk:

George is a chicken for not taking a stand.:kingme::nilly:

Da Taz

Cuda
12-03-2008, 12:08 PM

:wink:

What are you talking about? Last time I drove through Texas, I drove out of my way to see BOTH trees in the state, which is one more tree than Kansas has.

Cuda
12-03-2008, 12:09 PM
I don't give a rat's azz about gays either. Let 'em screw themselves out of existance. There is a reason why they can't reproduce.

txtaz
12-03-2008, 12:48 PM
I don't give a rat's azz about gays either. Let 'em screw themselves out of existance. There is a reason why they can't reproduce.

Joe that is hilarious and true.

Da Taz

Ghost
12-03-2008, 01:40 PM
To summarize, Californian, and San Francisco specifically, has a very 'if it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone, why should I make you stop?'

Totally agree about the extremes usually being out of whack.

One thing I would say is that the SF philosophy as characterized above is that it describes the good part of an incomplete picture. What I mean is that the SF left will happily stomp all over the Bill of Rights when it suits their preferences. (Gun grabbing is a good example, and nothing on earth is more anti intellectual and totalitarian than speech codes at our publicly funded universities, etc, etc.)

At the same time, if they keep their hands on their own wallets and uphold the Constitution, I'll take a sea of the most effite self-proclaimed-godless gays in a$$le$$ leather pants over a bunch of white, God-fearing, straight, Big-Government Republicans. Every time.

But if they want to show me someting, let's see the SF left and the ACLU march against the abomination that is the "Fairness Doctrine."

Of course, they likely won't. Rather, the SF left will toss me onto the heap with all the others who all look alike to them, concluding that a ridiculously simplistic one-dimensional liberal-conservative scale will serve to allow them to judge and censor every piece of content that goes on the air.

But I don't think we disagree on the real details of any of this--it's just that I couldn't resist an attempt to round out the overall picture of the SF philosophy beyond its good parts. :)

Regards,

Mike

zelatore
12-03-2008, 01:56 PM
In the interest of fair play, would you care to comment on your views of the Texas philosophy?

BTW- I'm not disagreeing with what you said about the bay area. There's no question some of them are way over the top.

Ghost
12-03-2008, 02:05 PM
In the interest of fair play, would you care to comment on your views of the Texas philosophy?

Happily-hey, when would I pass up a chance to rant about something? (I sorta took a quick stab at fair play above with the leather pants thing, but I'm not sure I know to what you're referring--do you mean the first post in the thread with the 8 points or so?)

Mike

gcarter
12-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Mike, what would you think of a bunch of white, God fearing, straight, little government Republicans?

mike o
12-03-2008, 02:44 PM

BTW- I'm not disagreeing with what you said about the bay area. There's no question some of them are way over the top..... I cant wait for Mikes disquisition on texas............:wink:

Tony
12-03-2008, 03:23 PM

Da Taz<---Yeah let some pinko commie fag walk down my street, it would look like a shooting gallery.

Is there more here than meets the eye? :bonk:

zelatore
12-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Happily-hey, when would I pass up a chance to rant about something? (I sorta took a quick stab at fair play above with the leather pants thing, but I'm not sure I know to what you're referring--do you mean the first post in the thread with the 8 points or so?)

Oh we've move way past the original 8 points...we're all about the thread hijack here.

I was thinking you could give us your take on the accepting nature of the Texas native based on comments such as these above:

Yeah let some pinko commie fag walk down my street, it would look like a shooting gallery
or
The Dixie Chicks should be shipped to Gitmo

For example, if one could color San Franciscans as gun grabbers, would one also describe Texans as .... (insert description of your choice here)

zelatore
12-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Is there more here than meets the eye? :bonk:

hmmmmmm.....they always say those that complain the loudest about homosexuality usually have the most to hide.

<Sinfeld voice on>
Not that there's anything wrong with that...
</Sinfeld voice off>

Ghost
12-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Mike, what would you think of a bunch of white, God fearing, straight, little government Republicans?

I'm all for 'em!!! :beer:

Cuda
12-03-2008, 05:31 PM
hmmmmmm.....they always say those that complain the loudest about homosexuality usually have the most to hide.
<Sinfeld voice on>
</Sinfeld voice off>

I'm secure enough in my masculinty, that I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade, or a fag a fag.

Cuda
12-03-2008, 05:33 PM

Given the choice between Gitmo, and SF, I'd take Gitmo everytime.

I've been to Sf, and dad said Gitmo wasn't bad duty.

txtaz
12-03-2008, 05:37 PM
<Sinfeld voice on>
</Sinfeld voice off>

WHAT??? Joe is right, call it what it is. If you are afraid to call it for what it is, maybe you need a little introspective time out and bolster your manhood.

Besides I don't know if your Mother taught you, but it is not polite to call people names directly or implied. It's just not classy.

Da Taz<---Now get back on topic.

Ghost
12-03-2008, 06:19 PM
I was thinking you could give us your take on the accepting nature of the Texas native based on comments such as these above:

Yeah let some pinko commie fag walk down my street, it would look like a shooting gallery
or

For example, if one could color San Franciscans as gun grabbers, would one also describe Texans as .... (insert description of your choice here)

Warning: may contain foul or graphic language or imagery

Ahh, I see. Well, to be totally fair, I don't think I heard any Texans actually say anything as sweeping about Texas philosophy as was the SF perspective you gave. So, I'd be kinda shooting from the hip and painting with a broad brush. Hmmm. Most of what I hear has been "Leave Texas the F%#$ Alone." Which, come to think of it, is a lot like the more official "Don't mess with Texas."

(Though I have to say, as good as these slogans are, I was always partial to the parody of the "Don't Tread on Me" flag that replaced it with "Bite My Crank.")

Of course, I never have gotten the whole animosity toward gays, except that I think some of it maybe stems from a lot of annoyance about flaky political stuff that gets thrown in the mix with sexual preference. A lot of the visible gay activism, like so much activism, gets done by the kooks. I think there are a lot more gay people who have a whole lot more sense. And, it's a political world of strange bedfellows, and it happens that one side of the aisle doesn't [yet] stand with me on being supportive enough of gays. And the other wants to invent a lot of nonsense
privilege for all sorts of groups that vote for it. Both are missing the point in my book.

I don't think I'm alone when I say that if you showed me the gun-totin'est, root-toot-enest, chaps-wearin'est, pole-smokin'est, whiskey-swillin'est, strict-Constitutionalist-est flamer ever that rode the plains doing Yosemite Sam impressions, that there's a guy I'd gladly pound beers with and round up some "all-hat-and-no-cattle" big-gumm'nt RINOs just to brand 'em for what they really are.

Or maybe I am alone when I say that.

1. So much for any hope of a political career I ever had.
2. Hey, I said "graphic imagery."
3. The views and opinions expressed here are strictly my own, and in no way are claimed to be the opinions of Texas, with whom I don't mess.
4. I thought the Dixie Chicks were meant to be seen and not heard LONG before it was cool to think they either should or should not be heard.

Cuda
12-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Warning: may contain foul or graphic language or imagery

Ahh, I see. Well, to be totally fair, I don't think I heard any Texans actually say anything as sweeping about Texas philosophy as was the SF perspective you gave. So, I'd be kinda shooting from the hip and painting with a broad brush. Hmmm. Most of what I hear has been "Leave Texas the F%#$ Alone." Which, come to think of it, is a lot like the more official "Don't mess with Texas."

(Though I have to say, as good as these slogans are, I was always partial to the parody of the "Don't Tread on Me" flag that replaced it with "Bite My Crank.")

Of course, I never have gotten the whole animosity toward gays, except that I think some of it maybe stems from a lot of annoyance about flaky political stuff that gets thrown in the mix with sexual preference. A lot of the visible gay activism, like so much activism, gets done by the kooks. I think there are a lot more gay people who have a whole lot more sense. And, it's a political world of strange bedfellows, and it happens that one side of the aisle doesn't [yet] stand with me on being supportive enough of gays. And the other wants to invent a lot of nonsense
privilege for all sorts of groups that vote for it. Both are missing the point in my book.

I don't think I'm alone when I say that if you showed me the gun-totin'est, root-toot-enest, chaps-wearin'est, pole-smokin'est, whiskey-swillin'est, strict-Constitutionalist-est flamer ever that rode the plains doing Yosemite Sam impressions, that there's a guy I'd gladly pound beers with and round up some "all-hat-and-no-cattle" big-gumm'nt RINOs just to brand 'em for what they really are.

Or maybe I am alone when I say that.

1. So much for any hope of a political career I ever had.
2. Hey, I said "graphic imagery."
3. The views and opinions expressed here are strictly my own, and in no way are claimed to be the opinions of Texas, with whom I don't mess.
4. I thought the Dixie Chicks were meant to be seen and not heard LONG before it was cool to think they either should or should not be heard.

I might have to make you vice emperor! lol

gcarter
12-03-2008, 08:15 PM
I personally think that entertainers should remember that they're entertainers......if they want to continue to be successful. If they insist on political discourse, they're bound to alienate at least 1/2 the country.
Take the Dixie Chicks for example, if they had figured it out, they could have sold a lot more CD's if at least one of them had kept their mouths shut.
I suspect Lyle Lovett has much the same leanings as the DC's (I really don't know 'cause I don't listen to him much) but at least he doesn't seem to attempt to indoctrinate his audiances.
I also think entertainers should keep their opinions to themselves unless they want to pursue a carreer in politics. Not many people have been able to do that.

Lenny
12-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Who ever has the Dixie Chicks can keep them.

All three of 'em are in my bed and I ain't EVER giving any of 'em up.

In fact, I think I am gonna take another run at Natalie, Emily and Martie right now :D

http://i.rollingstone.com/assets/rs/11/3566/images/23194_lg.jpg

Cuda
12-03-2008, 10:49 PM
I don't think the other two Dixie Chicks wanted the one fat one to speak for them all in front a bunch of Pommies in London.

Team Jefe
12-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Don, Wes, et. al one big point we have missed about Texas....or Texans, is that we strive to be friendly. That is as much the State moto as "Lone Star". When I meet people, I want them to leave me with a smile on their face, and thinking "those Texas Boys are all right".

I ain't ever been to Frisco, but when I do....Don, you're getting a call to be tour guide and we're gonna paint the town Red, Pink and Chartuse...or whatever the "In" Color is this season. It outta be a blast.

Besides, you gotta know that Taz is in San Antonio...right on the front line of the Big Q population in Austin:party:

Lenny
12-03-2008, 11:04 PM
I want them to leave me with a smile on their face, and thinking "those Texas Boys are all right".

:party:

You cooked for me, I thought you were "alright" ... :D

in fact, you can cook anything you ever want for me... You seem to have that figured out just fine :yes:

fogducker III
12-03-2008, 11:04 PM

In fact, I think I am gonna take another run at Natalie, Emily and Martie right now :D

Move over and share Lenny, its a Canuck thing............

Cuda
12-04-2008, 05:41 AM
Their are two things a Texan won't share; their woman, and their hat. :)

BUIZILLA
12-04-2008, 06:55 AM
Their are two things a Texan won't share; their woman, and their hat. :) that's not the way it works in Austin..

txtaz
12-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Jefe is right, we are friendly people and will help anyone with anything if we can. BTW, Chartuse should look good on you.:yes::):wink:

As far as gays are concerned, I don't care what they do, just don't try and make me accept it. I don't have to and I don't. All these parades, bills and official days are an attempt for them to make others accept them lending them some credibility. The same holds true for other groups who do the same thing.

Da Taz<---I don't make others accept my boating problem...

txtaz
12-04-2008, 07:01 AM
that's not the way it works in Austin..

Eeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww, I sometimes were a mask and rubber gloves when I go to North SA. It's pretty close to Austin.

Da Taz

boxy
12-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Eeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww, I sometimes were a mask and rubber gloves when I go to North SA. It's pretty close to Austin.
Da Taz
Taz getting ready for South Austin ...... :yes::yes:

boxy
12-04-2008, 07:10 AM

Now your other post makes sense, I was so confused this morning. :nilly:

Surfer
12-04-2008, 08:52 AM
A little fun fact in this mornings news...." Texas has remained the institution capital of America. The Justice Department has concluded that Texas which has six times more mental patients than any other state is stubbornly out of step with modern mental health practices." This may, in part, explane some of this.

txtaz
12-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Taz getting ready for South Austin ...... :yes::yes:

Double Eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww.

More like this boxy...

zelatore
12-04-2008, 09:50 AM
I was going to try to make nice by saying my (almost) brother in law lived in Texas for a while. Problem is, he lived in Austin.

That doesn't seem like it will help at this point.

Perhaps I should also mention he was only there a little while and has now moved back to Indiana?

Cuda
12-04-2008, 08:48 PM
A buddy of mine is from Indiana. He said they have two seasons; winter, and mud.

gcarter
12-04-2008, 08:58 PM
A buddy of mine is from Indiana. He said they have two seasons; winter, and mud.
Winter and road repair.

zelatore
12-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Winter and road repair.

George beat me too it...

Don't forget the 90% humidity and 90 degree days during construction season. I may see 100-110 in the summer out here, but at least the humidity is usually around 20%

Cuda
12-04-2008, 09:11 PM
George beat me too it...
Don't forget the 90% humidity and 90 degree days during construction season. I may see 100-110 in the summer out here, but at least the humidity is usually around 20%
I live in St Pete for 33 years and never once saw it over 98. The all time record high is 99.

I saw 100 seven times two years ago, and I think twice this summer, here in Deland.

gcarter
12-05-2008, 05:15 PM
I stil say ya'll are weird...

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40994&stc=1&d=1228513225

I bet that picture originated near Okechobee. They gotta bunch of cows there.
In all seriousness, that looks like a pretty good idea.

Cuda
12-05-2008, 05:25 PM
I bet that picture originated near Okechobee. They gotta bunch of cows there.
In all seriousness, that looks like a pretty goo idea.

I read somewhere that Florida's number two agricultural/food business was cattle.................behind oranges. That's where the term "Cracker" originated.

Jraysray
12-05-2008, 05:59 PM
I read somewhere that Florida's number two agricultural/food business was cattle.................behind oranges. That's where the term "Cracker" originated.

Elaborate please, I don't get it. I am from TEXAS you know. WAIT a minute,,, I was born in Northern Cali on a military base then moved to TEXAS at age 6 month to adult hood. Wife same but from Georgia. Got love for everyone though. Good people are good people.

zelatore
12-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Elaborate please, I don't get it. I am from TEXAS you know. WAIT a minute,,, I was born in Northern Cali on a military base then moved to TEXAS at age 6 month to adult hood. Wife same but from Georgia. Got love for everyone though. Good people are good people.

NorCal military base....wouldn't be someplace where they fly big, slow airplanes, would it?

onesubdrvr
12-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Yes, but beef cattle, not milk cattle :D

Where's the beef??

Wayne

Cuda
12-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Cracker originated from the Florida cowboys. They'd crack their whips, to drive cattle across the state. I had a buddy, who's dad knew where they sold the cattle. He's go there and find Spanish Dubloons (sp). He never would tell us where it is. Somewhere around Boca Grande.

They still have a drive across the state every year, to commemorate the cattle drive. I think it starts near Yee Haw Junction, and goes west torwards Ft Meyers.

Jraysray
12-05-2008, 11:04 PM
NorCal military base....wouldn't be someplace where they fly big, slow airplanes, would it?
big but fast, black birds were sighted. that's were I got my SR out of the SR22.

Tony
12-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Taken from etymonline.com

cracker (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=cracker) http://www.etymonline.com/graphics/dictionary.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=cracker) Cracker, Southern U.S. derogatory term for "poor, white trash" (1766), is from c.1450 crack "to boast" (e.g. not what it's cracked up to be), originally a Scottish word. Especially of Georgians by 1808, though often extended to residents of northern Florida.
"I should explain to your Lordship what is meant by crackers; a name they have got from being great boasters; they are a lawless set of rascalls on the frontiers of Virginia, Maryland, the Carolinas and Georgia, who often change their places of abode." [1766, G. Cochrane]:beer:

zelatore
12-06-2008, 10:54 AM
big but fast, black birds were sighted. that's were I got my SR out of the SR22.

ah - I was thinking of Travis and the big C130s. Alwasys a little freaky to drive past and see them 'hanging' in the air like they're barely moving.

gcarter
12-06-2008, 12:00 PM
ah - I was thinking of Travis and the big C130s. Alwasys a little freaky to drive past and see them 'hanging' in the air like they're barely moving.
Have you ever seen a C-5 land?
It's so all out of proportion, size wise, that it looks like a kite hanging in the air.

Ghost
12-06-2008, 01:53 PM
George, you beat me to it. I was golfing (and slightly hungover) near Hanscom AFB about 15 years ago when a C-5 spent half an hour buzzing the countryside at extremely low altitude. The thing was so big and slow it was like a false horizon--enough that you could get motion sickness just watching for a few minutes.

Jraysray
12-06-2008, 03:06 PM
George, you beat me to it. I was golfing (and slightly hungover) near Hanscom AFB about 15 years ago when a C-5 spent half an hour buzzing the countryside at extremely low altitude. The thing was so big and slow it was like a false horizon--enough that you could get motion sickness just watching for a few minutes.

Yeah, the Mighty C-130 Hercules is the real worhorse of the A.F. and the C-5 shouldn't be able to fly. The engine noise is like no other. As soon as you hear it you don't even need to look up. Its that unique.

txtaz
12-06-2008, 06:39 PM
We have c-130's and c-5's landing close to our in-town house. They fly low and slow and are amazing to watch. It's hard to believe they can fly being so big.

Da Taz

Team Jefe
12-07-2008, 04:23 PM
You cooked for me, I thought you were "alright" ... :D

in fact, you can cook anything you ever want for me... You seem to have that figured out just fine :yes:

Thanks Lenny... that was a lot of fun:kingme:

A little fun fact in this mornings news...." Texas has remained the institution capital of America. The Justice Department has concluded that Texas which has six times more mental patients than any other state is stubbornly out of step with modern mental health practices." This may, in part, explane some of this.

If what you are saying is that we don't coddle people in Texas, then you are absolutely right.