PDA

View Full Version : High performance Cat.........

SilverBack
11-30-2008, 02:54 AM
How many of you own or have owned a high performance cat??? What are the pro's and con's? I am thinking about getting a boat that can handle more people. I was thinking about a bow rider cat. I love the 28 ZXO but it is too close to what I have. I have spent too much time and energy on my 25 to ever sale it!! I think I will have it for life. I would like a boat that can handle 9 or 10 people but still be sporty.

I do NOT want to spend 100 K but was just kicking around the idea of a Party Cat....

I just want some objective feedback!!

gero1
11-30-2008, 07:25 AM
i know the advantage dealer in nashville. talk to andrew and tell him you talked to the crazy man with the black hawk. 615 826 2655. he might have a used one laying around. 28 party cat

osur866
11-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Tri toon pontoon with twin 300 o/b's, I see a few at LOTO and they will run into the 80's :shocking: with the BBQ grill and all on it :cool: Steve

zimm17
11-30-2008, 10:01 AM
A family we boat with has a 2007 Ultra 26 Shadow w/525EFI/XR drive. They love it, holds tons of people, and most importantly, is insured as a "deck boat" not a catamaran which makes a HUGE difference. Most companies will hang up on you if say the cat-word.

It came with a 496 and barely touched 70mph and gave him problems so he had it changed out for a 525/XR and now is really happy with it. I think it runs 75-78mph, but my memory is fuzzy.

https://www.ultraboats.com

So I recommend a "deck boat"- lots of other brands out there too.

fast fun 2
11-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Hustler 25 Talon is running 90+ with a 525. They have an open version too.

BUIZILLA
11-30-2008, 10:34 AM
pick up any issue of Powerboat rag that has any writeups on the Havasu/Parker theatre of events and parties.. if you can't find it there, it just doesn't exist...

there IS a metal deckboat/toon on Center Hill with a pair of 300's... but I think the plastic ones are sexier..

I like this orange one, it could be bought in the high 30's last I talked to the guy, but he's rebuilding the powerheads and transoms now, boat IS done right, it's a killer sweet ride, runs GPS low 80's with 10 people... a tad over 90 with 1 or 2 onboard

Air 22
11-30-2008, 10:52 AM
100mph right outta da box...not to shabby...:wink: The guy I purchased my 22C from got one of these and loves it..:)

http://brucebullockmarine.com/eliminator/eliminator_25daytona.html

BigGrizzly
11-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Cats are fine until you turn. Some people love them. Most of the fast guys here who have fast cats also have V hull boats for the rough days and cabin space. Very few have cats here under 32 feet. They just are not my cup of tea. They are fast but there is more then fast.

fogducker III
11-30-2008, 12:32 PM
A couple of years back I drove down to Lake of the Ozarks to pick this up for a friend of mine, it had at one point three 2.5 Mercs on it and for some reason one was removed and then one of the remainding two blew up so when I picked it up after he bought it off Ebay it had one Merc left on it.

When I got it up here he put two OMC V8's on her, this thing flies.......:yes:

I am not keen on the graphics but the hull is VERY well put together.

BlownCrewCab
11-30-2008, 01:25 PM
A couple of years back I drove down to Lake of the Ozarks to pick this up for a friend of mine, it had at one point three 2.5 Mercs on it and for some reason one was removed and then one of the remainding two blew up so when I picked it up after he bought it off Ebay it had one Merc left on it.

When I got it up here he put two OMC V8's on her, this thing flies.......:yes:

I am not keen on the graphics but the hull is VERY well put together.

Thats a 27 Cougar, I Used to build those. The only one that had 3 2.4's on it was Steve Curtis's own Race boat called smokey cougar, I remember going across lake X in it with Bill Sirois(the real Popeyes throttleman) driving and throttling, he told me to hold the throttles wide open so he could use a stopwatch to get real speeds, we where heading towards the edge of the lake at 118mph and the trees where coming up fast, really fast, about 100yds from certain doom he trims it down and cranks the wheel, we made a 90* turn instantly and probably didn't scrub off 10mph, fun times (if your whacko) those are great lil cats but only seat 4 (5 at best)

fogducker III
11-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Thats a 27 Cougar, I Used to build those. The only one that had 3 2.4's on it was Steve Curtis's own Race boat called smokey cougar, I remember going across lake X in it with Bill Sirois(the real Popeyes throttleman) driving and throttling, he told me to hold the throttles wide open so he could use a stopwatch to get real speeds, we where heading towards the edge of the lake at 118mph and the trees where coming up fast, really fast, about 100yds from certain doom he trims it down and cranks the wheel, we made a 90* turn instantly and probably didn't scrub off 10mph, fun times (if your whacko) those are great lil cats but only seat 4 (5 at best)

Nice to see somebody who knows the boats, yup, it is a Cougar, was sold as a 28 but we never measured it. Interesting that only one had the tripple Mercs, this must have been Steve's because it was definately rigged for three Mercs........

My friend is very handy with OMC outboards and built the big V8's (we call them refridgerators...) himself and tweaked them up a little....:wink:

On a number of local Poker Runs he has scared the crap out of me...:eek:

Yes the seating is definatley TIGHT in this one! As far as turning at speeds, this thing rides on rails, not sure where the "myth" about cats not turning well came from...:confused:

fast fun 2
11-30-2008, 03:24 PM
If you dont need a cabin a 24 or 28 Skater would blow away just about any boat in the size range.

BlownCrewCab
11-30-2008, 04:14 PM
If you dont need a cabin a 24 or 28 Skater would blow away just about any boat in the size range.

Agree 100%

Planetwarmer
11-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Get a Hobie Cat 18 or a Prindle 19. They hold lots of people and I hear they get great gas mileage too!

Donzi Vol
11-30-2008, 04:39 PM

You know, I was always comfortable riding with you knowing that you have LOTS of experience in high performance boats, but now I can REALLY rest easy. I'm fairly certain that I'll never be in a vessel going 118mph with you, but it's nice to know that I would live through it if I were. Wow...:shocking:

DonziFreak
11-30-2008, 05:04 PM
As far as turning at speeds, this thing rides on rails, not sure where the "myth" about cats not turning well came from...:confused:

Because "Cats" don't turn well at all while at speed, but "tunnel boats" (which that couger seems more like) turn on a dime with a little negative trim!

fast fun 2
11-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Agree 100%
I didnt realize you worked for Cougar, thats really cool. My dad always tells a story about racing a 24 Skater (killer bee) against a 27 Cougar on the Kew West storm course in the 80s. He said it so rough neither boat was dry but just rough enough that the Cougar had the edge. Those were 6-7 foot seas.:cool:

BlownCrewCab
11-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Because "Cats" don't turn well at all while at speed, but "tunnel boats" (which that couger seems more like) turn on a dime with a little negative trim!

Donzifreak, Chris Hodges was a big player in the design of that cat. They built the molds in england and shipped them to Miami. Chris was a big time circuit cat builder, Molinari and others used his boats. he would come to the US to repair the boats that raced here. Bill Seebold even came by our shop to check it out. you can almost tell from the pic's that the boat is a foot wider in the front than the rear, 6" on each side. (obviously)

BlownCrewCab
11-30-2008, 06:21 PM
I didnt realize you worked for Cougar, thats really cool. My dad always tells a story about racing a 24 Skater (killer bee) against a 27 Cougar on the Kew West storm course in the 80s. He said it so rough neither boat was dry but just rough enough that the Cougar had the edge. Those were 6-7 foot seas.:cool:

I Did, about the whole time they where here. then when they left I worked for Tony Roberts (who bought the Donzi/Cougar building).I was in the building when Aronow got shot, about 300' from where I was standing, I didn't hear anything because of the compressors and grinders, but I sure heard all the sirens. Being on the water we'd go water skiing for lunch, usually had some sort of Really Bad Azz boat to test. and met some of the most famous people ever. It was probably the most fun times of my life. Now it's a self storage Yaaaaaa....(Kidding obout the yaaaa)

fast fun 2
11-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Thats really cool, my dad was Keith Hazels shop foreman in the 70s and 80s. Was testing cool boats at the same time as you.:kingme:

BlownCrewCab
11-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Thats really cool, my dad was Keith Hazels shop foreman in the 70s and 80s. Was testing cool boats at the same time as you.:kingme:

Keith Hazel was a true hero, legend and all around tallented guy. I used to like to go up to Dania and see what cool things he was working on. he left us way too early...

fast fun 2
11-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Keith Hazel was a true hero, legend and all around tallented guy. I used to like to go up to Dania and see what cool things he was working on. he left us way too early...
I never got to meet him.:frown: Kieth was nice enough that after my dad got all his stuff (including Kieth;s dyno) moved up north and opened shop, he flew up to hang out for a week and make sure we werent screwing up. That was in 1986 give or take 1 year

DonziFreak
11-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Donzifreak, Chris Hodges was a big player in the design of that cat. They built the molds in england and shipped them to Miami. Chris was a big time circuit cat builder, Molinari and others used his boats. he would come to the US to repair the boats that raced here. Bill Seebold even came by our shop to check it out. you can almost tell from the pic's that the boat is a foot wider in the front than the rear, 6" on each side. (obviously)

Thats crazy! Have you been to Bill's shop in St. Louis? He's got a pretty neat set-up there and a entire wall devoted to his, and his sons racing history! Lots of pics of both Mikey and Timmy!

BlownCrewCab
11-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Thats crazy! Have you been to Bill's shop in St. Louis? He's got a pretty neat set-up there and a entire wall devoted to his, and his sons racing history! Lots of pics of both Mikey and Timmy!

I never got to go to the seebold shop, but I'll say standing next to him in our shop and meeting him was like standing next to God, well at least the God of tunnel boats. I expect GOD to be taller and not wear a Bud Light Shirt...Have you raced this year??

DonziFreak
11-30-2008, 07:10 PM
I never got to go to the seebold shop, but I'll say standing next to him in our shop and meeting him was like standing next to God, well at least the God of tunnel boats. I expect GOD to be taller and not wear a Bud Light Shirt...Have you raced this year??

We were at every single Champ race that fielded the 120's this year, next year we will be at every single Champ race period, since the new F-1 is on the way and due to be completed and delivered this winter! We are very excited!

By the way, I don't have any rock solid proof, but the word is since Bud was bought out by the Swede's I think it was, they decided to drop their sponsorship of the Seebolds.......those bastards.....on the brighter side, I believe Geico picked them up.

Makes you realize our racing God may still be a God on the water, but he's mortal just like the rest of us on land.....I just can't believe after 26 or 27 years of sponsorship, those outsiders can just come in, and forget about tradition, and just throw them out like that!......:mad:

BlownCrewCab
11-30-2008, 07:22 PM
That totally sucks if the swedes just drop them like that, they obvoiusly have no idea of the tradition. I hope Geico sticks around for a while, at the rate I see them spending on Sponsership and advertising I hope they dont go belly up. Seabolds will definatly find a good supporter though, they are a very professional group.

DonziFreak
12-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Well, I'm going to assume geico must be doing really good, I mean, they are one of the Champ series supporters, and are heavily involved with the off-shore guys, I too hope they stick around!

But that cougar has to be a sweet ride! Reminds me of some of the other vintage boats I've seen around lately, the old vintage tunnels seem to be making a huge comeback.

VetteLT193
12-01-2008, 07:54 AM
I was in an Eliminator fun deck down in the keys a few years ago. It had supercharged merc in it, I don't remember the power, but it would do in the 90's.

The good: The layout is flat out awesome. It truly is a party craft that can fly. beach it, walk off the front. Blend margaritas in the blender, the ladies can go to the bathroom, keep your beer in the fridge instead of screwing with a cooler.

The bad: They are just downright weird to drive. If your boating experience is like mine and you have run Vee's your whole life it is quite a change. Also, the fun deck is odd because it has no real deck to tie the sponsons together (boxes work better than "H" shape for structure). So, even in a light chop you can visibly see the sponsons acting independently of each other.

So... my final answer is, yes I would own one if the price is right. I keep my eye out for them and have yet to see a 'deal' by any means.

LKSD
12-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Cats are fine until you turn. Some people love them. Most of the fast guys here who have fast cats also have V hull boats for the rough days and cabin space. Very few have cats here under 32 feet. They just are not my cup of tea. They are fast but there is more then fast.
I am with you. They arent my cup of tea either. I would have to find one that really really impressed me, beyond being fast for me to ever think of owning one.. That said I hated the Advantage party cat that I worked on & ran for a customer back in the 1990's. I was not impressesd with the speed or handling on it. I am not sure how much that line has changed sine the 1990's because there arent many over here on this coast. It is more of a west coast boat.. ;) Jamie

Last Real Texan
12-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Trying to insure one with any speed and no previous HP performance experience to speak of is going to be like getting a bravo drive to survive a full throttle hole shot with 1500 HP on a heavy boat.

Tex

SilverBack
12-01-2008, 07:06 PM
You are right...insurance is crazy for those things with big power. Those big skaters sure are fine down at Mark's shop though. I have given up on the cat idea....i was just kicking it around.

BlownCrewCab
12-01-2008, 08:01 PM
So you where Kicking The Cat Around.....

SilverBack
12-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Lol.....