PDA

View Full Version : 009 boats.....

Donziweasel
11-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Just watching the video on Donzimarine.com about the 009 boats. I know they have been discussed before, but I just don't get it. Yeah, the offset strip is kinda cool, little scoop on the hatch is alright, but I think they missed the mark with the graphics. Considering this is the first "specail" boat they have done since the Shelby, you would have though it would look better. I think the Shelby was a flat homerun. They just look kinda ho hum to me.

mattyboy
11-29-2008, 08:54 AM
Jon,

they are tribute to the double 0's 007 and 008 that's the theme with a little of 'THE CIGARETTE" thrown in

Donziweasel
11-29-2008, 08:59 AM
I know Matty. They are going for the early Don racing retro look. Still, could have gone a little more contemporary. Other than Donzi owners who know Don's racing history would understand that. Anyone else who sees the boat and does not know the history would probably not be a huge fan.

mattyboy
11-29-2008, 09:13 AM
DW
don't think you are Giving Don's Fans enuff credit there are more fans than just us donzi owners and not sure how you go retro but still contemporary???
the shelby cost to much to build they weren't going that route again this one can cash in on it's heritage without having to pay cash out

the black white and red layout is the nicest the yeloow is aweful

zelatore
11-29-2008, 09:26 AM
I like it better than the Shelby. But I'm into the whole 'retro with modern updates' thing....with the exception of the radical 22 done by TOAD posted a few weeks ago, I don't think I've ever seen a modern graphics package on a Classic that I liked.

Keep it simple. It works best with this design.

I'll admit I may be in the minority.

Carl C
11-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Does anyone know what the aproximate real world out the door price is on these boats?

Ghost
11-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Funny, I think they nailed it. It was definitely interesting that they worked with Shelby some, but to me the color scheme they almost had to go with on the Shelby is not nearly as well suited to the boats as the 009s. I honestly can't think of a limited edition that is sharper than the 009s--the classic block colors, with a good amount of white, is the sweetspot if you ask me.

f_inscreenname
11-29-2008, 11:41 AM
I like the blue and white but not big on the off set stripe. Maybe if it had a smaller one next to it or something. The 009 Donzi needs to be smaller and the flag (sorry) would have to go. Maybe a real one off the transom would be better. It’s laid out nice. I like the hood scoop. Looks like it belongs. In the real world I would hate to suck a bunch of salt water over spray down it though.
I really cant get excited about new boats being they cost so much. What's the starting price for a new Donzi? Maybe in 20 years I can give it a second look.:wink:

Donziweasel
11-29-2008, 01:35 PM
DW
don't think you are Giving Don's Fans enuff credit

Yes and no. Don's racing heyday, especially 007, was a long time ago Matty. To be honest, I am 39 and it was before my time. Things have changed. A 25 year old buying his first Donzi probably doesn't know who Don is and if he does, then probably has no idea what his early race boats looked like. I applaud Donzi honoring Don's legacy in racing with the boats, but, I think they could have done a better job. Off setting the stripe, a hatch vent, 009 and an American flag seems like Donzi simply slapped it together, called it another SE, and was done. The Shelby had a performance gain as well by raising the X. Don't think the 009's have that.

How do you make it contemporary? How about modernizing the 009? Giving the straight flag a little movement? I am not agianst simple graphics if they are done well and compliment the boat. I just think Donzi missed the boat on this one.

I guess we all have different tastes. I am simply not a fan of this particular Donzi design.

The yellow ones do look horrible.:wink:

Donziweasel
11-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Here's a yellow one-
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/johnnyalltrans/93862185_1thumb_550x410.jpg

I guess I thought the Shelby was a truley unique Donzi because everything was different, controls, seats, color, hatch, raised X, fairing, etc... I feel a lot more time went into designing that boat vs. the 009.

Ghost
11-29-2008, 04:00 PM
My preference for the 009 over the Shelby is purely aesthetic--the Shelby is more appealing from a design perspective, no doubt.

I also think the flag on the 009 22 is just a hair too big--just barely--but noticeable.

MOP
11-29-2008, 04:32 PM
I am very patriotic but the flag on the side must go, I may have been more palatable had it been a flowing graphic.

mattyboy
11-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Yes and no. Don's racing heyday, especially 007, was a long time ago Matty. To be honest, I am 39 and it was before my time. Things have changed. A 25 year old buying his first Donzi probably doesn't know who Don is and if he does, then probably has no idea what his early race boats looked like. I applaud Donzi honoring Don's legacy in racing with the boats, but, I think they could have done a better job. Off setting the stripe, a hatch vent, 009 and an American flag seems like Donzi simply slapped it together, called it another SE, and was done. The Shelby had a performance gain as well by raising the X. Don't think the 009's have that.
How do you make it contemporary? How about modernizing the 009? Giving the straight flag a little movement? I am not agianst simple graphics if they are done well and compliment the boat. I just think Donzi missed the boat on this one.
I guess we all have different tastes. I am simply not a fan of this particular Donzi design.
The yellow ones do look horrible.:wink:

DW

the 009 in both versions have a raised X and are supposed to be real runners

what would your version of a contempary tribute to Don's donzi racing boats look like????

the true purist wonder why a 22 was used for a tribute to Don in the first place??? what did he have to do with the 22??

the 35 makes more sense for that and it is more advanced and on the leading edge of technology which is what don and his people were known for

a 25yr old buying a 100 k performance boat is not looking at a 22 classic trust me on that, that's the problem

Donziweasel
11-29-2008, 08:05 PM
I am glad they at least raised the X. It at least gives it some performance edge on the regular 22.

All in all it is kinda mute point as they are only making 13 of them. 2 or 3 on boat trader already.

I'd like an answer to Carl's question if anyone knows, how much is the 009 Edition? Bet it ain't cheap, but hey, it is a buyers market.

mattyboy
11-30-2008, 08:08 AM
DW
i don't think it is a mute point that they are only making 13 as a limited edition i think that is the point, i just hope the fit and finish is better than the shelbys i have seen, from what i understand you can order in any color(basic donzi colors) red yellow black blue

Donzi Vol
11-30-2008, 09:31 PM
I just watched the video, and I've gotta say that they're pretty sharp. When I first saw the pic of the yellow one, I didn't like it at all. But the black/white with bikini-clad girls is quite nice. Do those come along in the package?:wink:

And btw, I'm 25 and if I had 100k to drop on a performance boat I would certainly be considering the nostalgia that goes along with this special edition Donzi. But I concede that not everyone in my age group has had the solid upbringing that I have...hehe.

VetteLT193
12-01-2008, 08:13 AM
I honestly believe that over the years Donzi has had 2 kinds of special edition boats. The kind they put time and effort into and the kind they throw together to make more sales.

LKSD
12-01-2008, 08:14 AM
I guess this model is a bit of an aquired taste.. There are some things I like though, like the steering wheel & deck stripe, but the reverse flag in the wind kind of kills it for me... But different strokes I guess... :) Jamie

mattyboy
12-01-2008, 08:51 AM
AMH is responsible for the a good majority of the LE SE type boats
their first go round was the 30th ANN 16 18 22 which was a special red and white color scheme it also introduced the 2+2 seating in the 16
then not a bad start a fresh idea

the BLACK HAWK gold bling but also a superfast super loose ride

the 22 SE which by far is the ultimate in limted production special editions with it 500 efi and the special graphics only three made

now we start with the let's recycle what' we think is hot

the 40th ann let's use pearson hatch and we'll throw some old colors on them will call them limited but we'll make a ton of them

the AE/GT/SHELBY

ok let's make the hulll all one color take 22zx seats put a hood scoop and Ranman's stainless DONZI letters we put on bluliners stripes and we'll use a fairing not a windshield on it, again limited but we'll make a ton of them

the 009
maybe many things but a re hash of or a plageristic copy of someone elses ideas it is NOT, it is a tribute to the 007 and 008 boats

the steering wheel is a nice touch not just a trophy plaque saying the boat is special no that hasn't happened in 40 years a unique steering wheel , the off set stripe is true to the boats intended persona the black and white is sharp would like to see it in red

i do have a problem with the flags sorry i am old school on that and it seems that the new school has no problem with them so i let it go

BUIZILLA
12-01-2008, 09:34 AM
eh Matty...

is your keyboard missing the COMMA button?? you know, the same button this < is on... :bonk: :nilly:

Marlin275
12-01-2008, 09:37 AM
i do have a problem with the flags sorry i am old school on that and it seems that the new school has no problem with them so i let it go

A real tribute should be authentic.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40878&d=1228145812

mattyboy
12-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Marlin,
that 's not the boat they are trying to pay tribute to, altho,( pregnant pause)
it does have a striking similarity!

Matt
king of the run on sentence

Marlin275
12-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Marlin,
that 's not the boat they are trying to pay tribute to, altho,( pregnant pause)
it does have a striking similarity!
Matt
king of the run on sentence

008 was red with a white stripe on the sides
So I think we have mixed metaphors to pay tribute to?

mattyboy
12-01-2008, 10:16 AM
yes so was 007 they were both red, not sure why they didn't suit one up in those color schemes, The Cary is not a bad boat to mimic but i am sure if you ask officially any similairy is strictly coincedence

Donziweasel
12-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Overall, it is the flag that kills me. I like the flag tilted on the Cig much better.

gold-n-rod
12-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Anyone have the pic of the black/white 007 Edition with the red interior. It was posted last year. That thing was badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHACHI
12-02-2008, 12:34 PM
The black/white version just looks good period.

Donzi should never have offered this model in the other colors, espically yellow, and I own a yellow 22.

Ken

Mr X
12-02-2008, 09:05 PM
AMH is responsible for the a good majority of the LE SE type boats
their first go round was the 30th ANN 16 18 22 which was a special red and white color scheme it also introduced the 2+2 seating in the 16
then not a bad start a fresh idea
the BLACK HAWK gold bling but also a superfast super loose ride
the 22 SE which by far is the ultimate in limted production special editions with it 500 efi and the special graphics only three made
now we start with the let's recycle what' we think is hot
the 40th ann let's use pearson hatch and we'll throw some old colors on them will call them limited but we'll make a ton of them
the AE/GT/SHELBY
ok let's make the hulll all one color take 22zx seats put a hood scoop and Ranman's stainless DONZI letters we put on bluliners stripes and we'll use a fairing not a windshield on it, again limited but we'll make a ton of them
the 009
maybe many things but a re hash of or a plageristic copy of someone elses ideas it is NOT, it is a tribute to the 007 and 008 boats
the steering wheel is a nice touch not just a trophy plaque saying the boat is special no that hasn't happened in 40 years a unique steering wheel , the off set stripe is true to the boats intended persona the black and white is sharp would like to see it in red
Matty, you are off on your facts,
More than 3 SE's made.....5-6 that I know of.
The Stainless letters were originally used on the 39ZSC a couple years before ANYONE had them copied and put them on a classic.
The seats in the Shelby are not the same as a 22ZX.
I realize this is a public forum and everyone has an opinion. I sure respect that, but it seems that alot of your posts have been very negative in the last few months..
What gives? :confused:

mattyboy
12-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Ted
Sorry if you think I am negative i actually like the 009 except for the flag thing as stated i think it is a fresh Idea, the SE still at 5-6 is still very limited and very special I know of 2 blue and one black
but i am not a fan of the shelby the 3 i saw the fit and finish was far from what should be expected for the name of Donzi

RickSE
12-02-2008, 10:06 PM
More than 3 SE's made.....5-6 that I know of.

Ted, can you elaborate? I know of (3), all 2002's, but heard there may have been one other built with non-SE graghics.

#1 was at the 02' Dealer Show, Blue, built summer 01', now in Canada?
#2? went to the NE, Blue w/blower installed by owner
#3? mine, Black, invoiced May 01'

If there were more built, do you know if they were all 02's and had the graphics? Although the SE model was offered in 03' I'm not aware of any 03's being built; advertisement stopped after 03'. The 03's would have had the all plexi windshield and the 03' SE catalog boat is actually the #1 02' boat with a photoshopped plexi windshield. I consider the SE boats those that had the graphics and HP options.

I've asked Josh, Bill M. & others at Donzi but no one has ever been able to give me a real production number.

...I'm still waiting for an "SS" (S. Simon) version of the 22C with a bumble bee stripe around the aft end of the boat, over the hatch and down to the chine. Maybe I need to order my own, all black with a white stripe and a 525.

mattyboy
12-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Rick
those are the 3 that I know of yours being the black one

Ted,

I have re read my post's and I am sorry if you read them and get a feeling I am being negative I was being honest and stated what I know I know of 3 SE's yes true there could have been more but again at 5 to 6 boats still very limited and rare not so with the 40th how many were made over 40 in 22's not to count the 16 and 18's and how many shelby's were produced?? seems you can't search any classified without 3 or 4 of them popping up so were there alot made or just a few and those few are not selling??

Please re read my quote AMH is responsible for a majority of the SE LE type boats and I gave the thumbs up on the 30th the black hawk and the SE along with the 009 i didn't think the 40th was all that special nor the shelby as they seem to "borrow" from other ideas again not so with the 009 besides the flags i think it is a unique boat that shows some thought and nice touches

I admit I didn't not know the SS letters were on a 39zxc as the chance to see one of those is far and few between i thought Ranman did the SS letter so I admit I was wrong on that and the reference to the zx seats was tongue in cheek as we all now they never put solid blue ,gray or red capt's chairs in a 22 zx but they do use capt's chairs in the shelby not the classic style buckets

you should really read some of the other posts on the 009 and the hull crack thread now there's some negativity

ok more positive I must be positive :) ;)

Mr X
12-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Matty, its no biggie. I am not trying to start something.

mattyboy
12-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Matty, its no biggie. I am not trying to start something.

Ted
I know, sometimes in this media my sense of humor and communication skills don't always come thru in the way I mean them i guess i could have used a smiley or two,
recalibrated

;)

gcarter
12-03-2008, 02:45 PM
I am very patriotic but the flag on the side must go, I may have been more palatable had it been a flowing graphic.

I don't know Phil, if you go back tgo the '60's pictures, flags were everywhere. American and British in particular.
To me it's like the retro look of Blue/White hood stripes on American owned sports racing cars of the same period. Ya sure see a lot of them today.
Well anyway, I don't mind the flags.

FISHIN SUCKS
12-04-2008, 11:51 PM
my $.02, I like it in the black. I especially like the 35zr. Very cool with the offset stripe and also tastefully matched in the sunpad. I'm with George, I don't mind the flags. Flowing or slanted flags could maybe be cool as well. Nothing personal to the future owner of the yellow 22, but it's not for me. Two thumbs up, Donzi:clap::clap:!

As for the Shelby, I never got up close on one to inspect fit and finish, but they looked sharp! That's saying a lot for me, 'cause I think Carroll Shelby is a total dick (and yes I have met him a couple of times). But, he's the legend and I'm just a guy.