PDA

View Full Version : 29z Termites terminated - SEACAST

piazzafatb
11-28-2008, 09:19 PM
I have a 1988 29z terminated by termites. Its incredible, all stringers and transom wood is over. You can see the fiberglass mold of the stringer in perfect condition without wood inside. My question, Can I use Seacast product to do all the project(transom and stringers). It could save me lot of time and hard job.

farmer tx
11-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Don't know about seacast but the same thing happened to this 85-22 critter.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54377
Sure wish the photos were still there.

piazzafatb
11-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Seacast is a pourable core material. The idea is to cut the top section of the stringers and pour this material after cure then recap the stringer. Look in www.transomrepair.com (http://www.transomrepair.com)

Trueser
11-29-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm not sure how you would fill the transom. Our Z29 center stringer was hallow from the rear seat bulkhead almost to the transom. And most of the transom was wet from the drives down.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47746&highlight=1986+z29

Donzigo
11-29-2008, 09:06 PM
I suppose that new things can be successful; but, I can't understand how this new way of repairing stringers would insure that the old material was completely out of the stringers and how does the new material bond with the fiberglass withour grinding.

piazzafatb
12-01-2008, 07:38 AM
I suppose that new things can be successful; but, I can't understand how this new way of repairing stringers would insure that the old material was completely out of the stringers and how does the new material bond with the fiberglass withour grinding.

[quote=Trueser;479797]I'm not sure how you would fill the transom. Our Z29 center stringer was hallow from the rear seat bulkhead almost to the transom. And most of the transom was wet from the drives down.

TRUESER, I will take the cocpit, nose, engine hatch apart, I will work in the hull, has to do all stringers. DONZIGO, the material set at 160-190F* I think that vulcanize, weld? I dont know. The reason I want to do it this way is because it would be much easier. I just want an opinion and if you know someone tha have use seacast. I read in the web some good reviews of people who have use it. Thanks.

gcarter
12-01-2008, 08:24 AM
I've always been curious about how to fill around the drive cut out.
I suppose you could fill through the drive cut out until it's full to that point, then use "something" to seal off the upper part of the cut out and finish filling from the top.

DonziFreak
12-01-2008, 08:26 AM
I've always been curious about how to fill around the drive cut out.
I suppose you could fill through the drive cut out until it's full to that point, then use "something" to seal off the upper part of the cut out and finish filling from the top.

Duck tape anyone? :biggrin.:

Trueser
12-01-2008, 09:06 AM
[quote=Trueser;479797]I'm not sure how you would fill the transom. Our Z29 center stringer was hallow from the rear seat bulkhead almost to the transom. And most of the transom was wet from the drives down.

TRUESER, I will take the cocpit, nose, engine hatch apart, I will work in the hull, has to do all stringers. DONZIGO, the material set at 160-190F* I think that vulcanize, weld? I dont know. The reason I want to do it this way is because it would be much easier. I just want an opinion and if you know someone tha have use seacast. I read in the web some good reviews of people who have use it. Thanks.

My opinion would be to pull the stringers and transom and do it correctly. At 60MPH I would hate to have a motor come loose. From what I saw inside the transom and stringers you would not be able to clean out the mess.

Just my opionion.......

harbormaster
12-01-2008, 09:32 AM
I had a z29 that someone gave me. I was going to redo it but also found it totally infested/destroyed by termites. I ended up running over it with a bulldozer and putting it in a dumpster.

Trueser
12-01-2008, 10:00 AM
I had a z29 that someone gave me. I was going to redo it but also found it totally infested/destroyed by termites. I ended up running over it with a bulldozer and putting it in a dumpster.

I had someone that wanted to give me a Z33. Told him the same thing.

Did you ever get rid of the dash from that beast?