PDA

View Full Version : speedo

rtgogo
11-28-2008, 08:01 AM
My speedo crapped out this past season and I'm looking for any suggestions on my project to upgrade. It has a cheap lookin white plastic pickup mounted on the transom that seems to be the problem. I checked to see if the line was clogged, but looked ok at the time. I noticed a loose tube in the bottom of the lower unit on my Bravo and assume it is where the speedo pickup was located originally. I'm wondering if i should try hooking up the outdrive pickup or just replace the transom mounted unit with a metal one? I'm not sure if the outdrive was disconnected and replaced for a reason and wondered if anyone had points for guidance on the differences in these two setups.

Thanks for your help!

mattyboy
11-28-2008, 08:20 AM
water pickup air pressure speedos are not the greatest they really aren't worth the trouble in todays world of affordable handheld gps i would go that route but if you want accurate speed readings viewable to your passengers you could also go gps speedo

not sure on the bravo hook up put i had a plastic and a metal hook up, the best test is to remove the tube from the back of the speedo and blow air back thru the tube for this test also remove it from the pickup and make sure it is clear and not obstructed then put a golf tee in the tube on either end then retest to make sure it is plugged and not broken then perform the same test reconnect the speedo at the pickup end see if you can move the needle might need a pump of some kind do the same test with a small piece of tube connected to the pickup that will test ech piece the tube the gauge and the pickup

rtgogo
11-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Agreed on the GPS, keep one on the boat, just want the gauge to stop bouncin all over the place and wondered if I'd be better off hookin up the old outdrive pickup or replacing what I have...Thanks

mattyboy
11-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Agreed on the GPS, keep one on the boat, just want the gauge to stop bouncin all over the place and wondered if I'd be better off hookin up the old outdrive pickup or replacing what I have...Thanks

thats just their nature to bounce

BlownCrewCab
11-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Use your next $400 and buy a gps speedo that fits in the hole, no more bouncing. Pitot tube speedo's are history, they had their place, long ago....

zimm17
11-29-2008, 05:57 PM
I like my Livorsi GPS speedo. Has a recall switch which is really nifty.

TNPMARINE
11-29-2008, 08:08 PM
rtgogo,
If you are interested in a Livorsi GPS, you can see the different options on my site. Send me a PM with what you like and I'll PM you back with a price.

gcarter
11-29-2008, 08:09 PM
A good Livorsi glycerine filled speedo w/a SST pitot is hard to beat.
Does not bounce
Usually accurate to about 1 mph
SST pitot is very durable
Lots for sale on eBay