PDA

View Full Version : Depth

rtgogo
11-28-2008, 07:46 AM
I have a transom mounted transducer on my 22zx that needs to be replaced / upgraded before next season. It took me a while to figure out how the bracket got so twisted and cracked, but reading a few threads I realized it was probably caused by my poor landing skills comin off my first big wake jump. So...with the work ahead of me, was going to compare the transom mount with the thru hull version and wanted to get your advise. She's a step hull, so not sure either is going to give me a decent reading on plane, but figured I'd throw the topic out there, before I bought any parts. Before I shattered the one on there now, I think it did OK up to 40ish, so basically it was used when I was docking the boat or pulling out of the slip. Is a thru hull mounted transducer going to give me much more readings over that speed?

Thanks!

brwn234
11-28-2008, 08:53 AM
My thru hull doesnt work any time the boat even thinks about coming up on plan. The step, by design, introduces air and creates alot of turbulance that wont allow a clean signal to the bottom of the water. I have just accepted the fact that if I want it to work I've got to be ideling. I've got a 22zx as well.
Just a thought, I would think that if you were to place a thru hull in front of the step it would work more consistenly. But I dont know how you'd get it there with the kockpit liner and gas tank in the way. Then again you might run into the same problem depending on where the water breaks on the keel.

DonziJon
11-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Something to think about. I have a Ping Through The Hull transducer in my Minx, (No Steps) epoxied to the inside of the hull in the foreward part of the engine room. It works pretty reliably up to 50 or so. Weeds on the lake bottom, or a soft mud bottom are what interupts the signal usually.

Keep in mind when you are doing 50.. the depth reading you just looked at is now a couple of hundred yards BEHIND you and that Ledge ahead won't show up until you HIT it.

I suspect mounting the transducer ahead of the first step would be out, because it's already Aired Out at speed....not even in the water. Steps seem to be problematic.

This topic comes up every so often. I don't recall anyone having come up with a solution for stepped hulls at speed. :bonk: John

MOP
11-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Step boats have a real problem with transducers, the only place that gives a good reading is ahead of the step. Problem is at speed that area many times is out of the water, but if you are traveling that fast very few depth finders will save your butt when a shoal pops up.

brwn234
11-28-2008, 07:09 PM
I guess you could think of it kinda like an idiot light on the dash of a car. It's probably safer to become knowledgeable of the area and/or get a mapping GPS rather than rely on a depth guage. Probably a better idea to use you guage to figure out how much anchor line to put out rather than pick a safe route to cruise.
Jon, thanks for bringing that to my attention about the reading being behind you, never thought of that.

rtgogo
11-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks guys...guess I'll put a new one back on the transom and practice keepin the nose down when I'm gettin air. Appreciate the insight, always lookin for an upgrade and didn't want santa to bring me the wrong part! :shades:

sweet 16 1966
11-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Is one brand better than another when shooting through the hull? Mine works about 1 in 5 times I need it. The rest of the time it does not register.
Is the hull too thick?

DonziJon
11-30-2008, 06:31 PM
The hull thickness is less important, than how much AIR was introduced into the laminate when the hull was layed up. How careful was the guy who squeeged the stuff around? If your current location for the transducer is less than satisfactory.....move it a few inches to one side or the other and try again.

This problem is very common...and probably has not much to do with quality. However: I suspect some manufacturers will pay particular attention to the AREAS in the hull where a transducer will likely be placed. AIR bubbles in the lamiate will destroy the transducer signal. Air bubbles in the epoxy used to "stick" the transducer to the inside of the hull are equally important. When mixing up the epoxy, stir the epoxy slowly and thoroughly to eliminate AIR bubbles. John