PDA

View Full Version : zieger steering fun

zelatore
11-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Started installing my steering today.

When I got around to messing with the new helm, I found out my Grant wheel won't match up to either of the two bolt patterns on the Zieger helm.

WTF?? Seems like when I pulled the stock Dino off the Grant bolted right up, no problem. Why do these guys have something different?

What - do they expect you to buy 'their' wheel too?

Screw that! I’m keeping my nice mahogany wheel! Where's my drill!

Too bad I won't be able to finish it this weekend - I'll need to get a stainless shop to knock out a nice 1/8" plate to cover the old helm cut-out, and then I'll have to have the hoses made up. But other than that I expect to have it all installed.

The hardest part about the whole job so far has been getting the old steering cable out. I couldn't get the sheath to pull though - it was hanging on something. I lost my patience and broke out the dremel tool. Job over.

BigGrizzly
11-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Don I had the cable problem so I just cut it and pulled it. After all it wasn't going back on never.!!!!

bob haver
11-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Started installing my steering today.

When I got around to messing with the new helm, I found out my Grant wheel won't match up to either of the two bolt patterns on the Zieger helm.

WTF?? Seems like when I pulled the stock Dino off the Grant bolted right up, no problem. Why do these guys have something different?

What - do they expect you to buy 'their' wheel too?

Screw that! I’m keeping my nice mahogany wheel! Where's my drill!

Too bad I won't be able to finish it this weekend - I'll need to get a stainless shop to knock out a nice 1/8" plate to cover the old helm cut-out, and then I'll have to have the hoses made up. But other than that I expect to have it all installed.

The hardest part about the whole job so far has been getting the old steering cable out. I couldn't get the sheath to pull though - it was hanging on something. I lost my patience and broke out the dremel tool. Job over.
it is most likely hanging up on the fatory wiring clamps ,if you have a speaker in the back you can reach up there with 90 degree screw gun or a stubby phillips.Also make sure the spacer behind the helm is a half inch spacer .They should of asked what steering system you had so they would of get you the proper plate to cover the cut out from the old system,good luck on the install and keep us posted,it is the best investment you can make on a classic:wink:

zelatore
11-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I think it was hanging on a zip tie or clamp or something. I pulled the side panel out but still couldn't reach it. No big worry - like Griz said, it wasn't like I was going to put it back on and I can't imagine I'd get a lot out of it on ebay....the dremal took care of it in about 2 minutes.

I actually bought the system used on boatfreaks (oso? one of them); it was brand new, still in the box. Even came with the drill fixture for the transom brackets. The only things it didn't come with were a plate to cover the old helm cut-out and a hose assembly tool. I figure I'll buy the tool since I don't really want to run the hoses to see how long to make them then pull them back out to have them assembled. I might check with my local aeroquip guy and see if he's got one in stock while I'm at work next week.

I'm thinking I'll make a backing plate of 1/4" aluminum, then have a piece of 1/8" polished stainless cut for the outside of the dash. Should be strong enough and look good too.

Carl C
11-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Has anyone ever bought an aftermarket bolt on part that actually did?:mad:

zelatore
11-28-2008, 04:37 PM
I've learned that 'bolt on' is a relative term.

This project has gotten more expensive and time consuming than I expected. I haven't gotten a thing done on it today and it's already 2:30.

Started out this morning planning to bolt the transom plates on. Oops - I'm out of anti-seize. Well ok then, I'll go pick some up. Oh, the local store in my little town isn't open. Ok then, I guess I'll have to brave the black Friday crowds and actually go to Sacramento. Hmmmmm.....as long as I'm here, it sure is frustrating trying to find anything in my over-stuffed roll-away, and there are some nice sales going on; might as well stop by the Craftsman store.

So, now it's 2:30, I've got a new mid-cabinet for my roll-away and about a half-dozen other bits and pieces, my wallet is about $600 lighter, and I'm about to get to work.

*#%@ Anti-seize....it'll get ya every time.:shocking:

I'm probably lucky I left my truck at the office and couldn't buy anything that wouldn't fit in the back of the car. Although I once put a full roll-away into an Alfa Spider with the top down, so there's no telling what sort of damage I could do. :convertib:

CHACHI
11-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Don, I had the same issues after my Zieger system was installed, wheel didn't fit. Oh, well now I had a reason to buy a new one.

Call Paul at Zieger, I believe he has dash plates to cover the hole and bolt up the helm and pump.

Ken

Air 22
11-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Don, I had the same issues after my Zieger system was installed, wheel didn't fit. Oh, well now I had a reason to buy a new one.

Call Paul at Zieger, I believe he has dash plates to cover the hole and bolt up the helm and pump.

Ken

Yes they have the polished dash cover plates...$70.00 2 sizes a 5" and a 6"..if u have the factory helm u should need the 6" plate..Thats what I used to cover up my dash. They also carry all the fittings u may need and ship stuff over-night. Zeiger makes top quality stuff and have outstanding customer service. Paul Everett is terrific. his # is 877-621-7770.:wink:

I installed a Zeiger full hyd sys with Bravo One...U can do it....keep us posted and plz ask if u need help:wink:

zelatore
12-01-2008, 11:19 AM
I know Zieger makes plates - I've got the catalog. I'm going to check with one of my local fabricators today to see if he can bang one out for me this week, otherwise I'll give Paul a call. I think he's in Chicago or somewhere in the mid-west - with the price of shipping these days I'd rather just get something local. Plus I think I'm going to have an oval shape made, just a little larger than the stock helm was.

I also need to check with my local aeroquip guy to see if he has a mandrel for the hose ends.

I've got another week here at the office before I can get back to the boat, so hopefully I'll track everything down locally.

It's going together pretty smoothly. The included instructions were good. Just a few little items to sort out. The biggest hurdle is my own lack of momentum...

ThruHull
12-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Hey Don, I am the one that sold you the steering, if I can help at all, just let me know. Glad it is working out so far! Tosh