PDA

View Full Version : Fried, smoked or baked.....

Donziweasel
11-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Just wondering how everyone is fixin' thier turkeys. Me, 2 13 pounders in the fryer.

The Hedgehog
11-27-2008, 11:52 AM
For a second there I thought you might be talking about the cook!:nilly::nilly:

Donziweasel
11-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Smoked Bill???? And you call yourself a Southerner! Fried baby, fried!

Barry Eller
11-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Two 8 lb breasts, injected with Italian dressing, smoked in pecan with apple juice in the steam pan.

Denise and I don't like dark meat.

Ghost
11-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Okay, I lied. My sister-in-law is baking the turkey today, but when I cook it, it is always fried.

The Hedgehog
11-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Smoked Bill???? And you call yourself a Southerner! Fried baby, fried!

Actually it will be baked. But that is because it is not my project. I just got a funny look for mixing a drink and jumping into the hot tub at 10:45. I may have to sneak off for a safety meeting.:pimp:

Donziweasel
11-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Ghost, once you have fried, hard to go back.

Barry, that sound amazing.:wink:

Don and the Senator, why no turkey???:confused:

zelatore
11-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Not really doing anything here today. Michele is back in Indiana with family. I had planned to go back as well this year, but things got complicated with work and travel wasn't a very good idea. Maybe next year I'll go back.

Since I'm alone for the long weekend, I plan to make the best of it and install my spiffy new Zieger steering system, then Sunday I'll head down to the 'big' boat and do a little cleaning; we're supposed to be about 70 degrees by then.

Anyway, I'm not a big food guy. I subsist largely on ham and cheese sandwiches, coke, chips and pretzels, and pizza. Although as 4-0 gets closer I can see a change will be in order.

I will say this though - the one time I had Thanksgiving dinner with a Texan it was great! I pretty much decided right there I'd try pretty much anything that guy cooked!

mattyboy
11-27-2008, 06:27 PM
we spent most of wed nite in the ER with our daughter jamie seems she picked up a severe stomach virus which the dr said was going around and is an extremely strong strain which lasts 36 to 48 hrs and judging by the way it crippled my daughter i do not doubt him, the bad news she is on a clear liquid diet and the dr said marie and i are most likely going to get so we were given the news not to be around people and seeing our plans were to see my mom 86yrs old who just got out of the hospital then to marie's sisters to be with her family and young nieces and nephews the dr basically said this strain is going to be extremely hard on those two age groups this year, so we are on house arrest the good news is she is home with us and we spent a quiet day around the house and we'll have the big turkey dinner one day during the weekend when she is able to enjoy it.

and we roast ours in an oven with a special blend of spices( my families and marie's family recipe) i have had a fried turkey and it is delicious but nothing
beats the smell of the house as the turkey roasts to a tender golden brown I just can't explain it it is somewhere between a pack of hammerhead sharks smelling blood in the water working up to a feeding frenzy or a slow strip tease by a large brested marilyn monroe :bigboys:
you don't get that with a fried bird i mean if you think about it in my terms would you want pop out of the cake marilyn or a hot steamy 4 to 5 hrs of marilyn

;)

Last Real Texan
11-27-2008, 07:06 PM
one of each.....!

Tex

Donziweasel
11-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Matty, sorry to her that, hope she is alright.

Poodle, are you so fat right now that you have your own gravitational field?:wink:

LRT, I hoped you would step up to the frying plate after Bill smoked his turkey. (wonder if he got high, I hear smokin a turkey is killer man LOL:))

Donziweasel
11-27-2008, 07:16 PM
My gravitational field is so great that Venus and Mars aligned tonight..

I thought I felt a slight pull towards southern Florida tonight......:wink:

onesubdrvr
11-27-2008, 07:25 PM
My gravitational field is so great that Venus and Mars aligned tonight..

As long as they aren't aligned with Uranus, we should be OK :crossfing:

Misc.

Tony
11-27-2008, 08:15 PM
nothing
beats the smell of the house as the turkey roasts to a tender golden brown I just can't explain it it is somewhere between a pack of hammerhead sharks smelling blood in the water working up to a feeding frenzy or a slow strip tease by a large brested marilyn monroe :bigboys:
you don't get that with a fried bird i mean if you think about it in my terms would you want pop out of the cake marilyn or a hot steamy 4 to 5 hrs of marilyn ;)

I have SO missed your posts, Matty, and this is a great example of why!
Hope the worst is over for Jamie, and that maybe you and your wife won't get hit too bad.
Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving...whenever you celebrate it.

:beer:

Team Jefe
11-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Fried, but we also had Beef Wellington, and Honey Glazed Ham so that we had all Major meat areas covered.

Plus lots of little nibbln' I made up on the fly...like shrimp and smoked oyster jerk spice eggrolls with pineapple-mango tequilla dippin' sauce

onesubdrvr
11-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Fried, but we also had Beef Wellington, and Honey Glazed Ham so that we had all Major meat areas covered.

Plus lots of little nibbln' I made up on the fly...like shrimp and smoked oyster jerk spice eggrolls with pineapple-mango tequilla dippin' sauce

Those sound like AWESOME eggrolls!!!!!

Wayne

roadtrip se
11-28-2008, 09:19 AM
and everyone left happy.

Speaking of gravitational fields, the smoker is outside now and primed, might as well throw a brisket on the thing.

mattyboy
11-28-2008, 10:18 AM
i take back you can't smell a fried bird you can even after they put out the fire :eek: have you guys seen the new att commercial for joe didn't get that call to make sure you defrost the turkey before you use the deep frier pretty funny

thanks for the kind thoughts jamie looks to be on the mend

:)

Lenny
11-28-2008, 12:39 PM
None, Thanksgiving was October 13th here. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(Canada)

At least ours is ALWAYS a long weekend.

zelatore
11-28-2008, 12:59 PM
No turkey's still in the lead...

Carl C
11-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Tortino's Pizza Rolls:pizza:......microwaved:lightning.

Team Jefe
11-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Those sound like AWESOME eggrolls!!!!!

Wayne

thought you might like those....I got lots of ideas for the party:wink:

onesubdrvr
11-28-2008, 05:34 PM
thought you might like those....I got lots of ideas for the party:wink:

Sounds good amigo,... just forward me a list of anything I need to pick up :D

Getting close now, last assignment due this weekend :D:D:D

Wayne

brwn234
11-28-2008, 06:11 PM
I gotta try the fried turkey, I hear it's supposed to be the best thing ever. KFC will aparently deep fry one for you now. I gotta look into that. We baked ours this year, but first we wrapped it in bacon. Probably just as bad for you as the deep fried. One thing I can't stand is dry turkey, to the point where I wont eat it. With the bacon it always stays nice and juicy.

Carl C
11-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Veggie oil is not bad for you, it actually boosts your hdl or good cholesterol. You can get giant containers of it cheap at Costco.

mjw930
11-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Gave up the fryer last year when I got the Char-Broil "Big Easy"

http://www.charbroil.com/Consumer/ProductSeriesPromo.aspx?ProductSeriesID=95

http://www.charbroil.com/bps/char-broil/char-broil/product/images/1_1_08101480_regular.jpg

http://www.charbroil.com/bps/char-broil/char-broil/product/images/1_1_08101480_alternate_c021e580-f.jpg

Just marinate/inject with your favorite concoction, put on a nice rub about 30 minutes before you start and you end up with the EXACT same taste as a fried bird without the $40 in peanut oil and none of the mess. Worth every dollar.

Schaf
11-29-2008, 03:15 PM
one fried one baked. both were great.