PDA

View Full Version : thanksgiving and perspective

smokediver
11-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Hope everyone has a great thanksgiving and takes a little time to give thanks and recognize all the good in our lives . I ran a call this past week on a 6 year old boy who was in cardiac arrest . There was well over 100 years of combined experience in the crew I was with but we were not able to bring the little guy back . Especially sad was his mother who was in the parking lot , there to pick him up after work . It was at a daycare facility ... Dive calls , fires , car wrecks ... They are kinda generic anymore but kids are always tough .. real tough ... I asked myself what that family was going to be thankful for this year and then I looked at myself and my little what I thought were problems ... Anywho ... Give thanks to all the good and maybe a prayer to those in need ...

Donzi Vol
11-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the remarks, smokediver. And you're absolutely right. When we put things in perspective, our problems tend to dwindle down quite a bit. Now we all have legitimate problems/issues going on, but many times they're not quite the mountains that we make them into. I was just talking with my dad a little bit ago about how this will be the first Thanksgiving without my beloved grandfather saying Grace before the meal. It will be difficult, but I am reminded of his constant optimism and thankfullness for all the blessings that he had in his life. Thus, I choose to do the same.

Have a good one, guys!

All the best,
David

chappy
11-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Hope everyone has a great thanksgiving and takes a little time to give thanks and recognize all the good in our lives . I ran a call this past week on a 6 year old boy who was in cardiac arrest . There was well over 100 years of combined experience in the crew I was with but we were not able to bring the little guy back . Especially sad was his mother who was in the parking lot , there to pick him up after work . It was at a daycare facility ... Dive calls , fires , car wrecks ... They are kinda generic anymore but kids are always tough .. real tough ... I asked myself what that family was going to be thankful for this year and then I looked at myself and my little what I thought were problems ... Anywho ... Give thanks to all the good and maybe a prayer to those in need ...

Smoke,

I think it's amazing what you do day in and day out. I wish people like yourself could see yourself through our eyes a little. It's impressive, to say the least. A lot of us don't have the strength or resolve to do what you do. Putting yourself in harms way on a regular basis to help others. Anyway, I've got a lot to be thankful for, but people like you are on a short list of things I'm most thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving.:angel:

Rich

Team Jefe
11-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Its funny how when I start feeling sorry for myself how quickly I can be reminded that as I leave my good job, in my nice truck, and go to my comfortable home or take out my Awesome Donzi....that I don't have it bad at all, not even in the same ball park as bad.:yes:

Thanks Smoke for doing a little part to keep MY feet on the ground, and for what "You Guys" do. Your a hero every day...I couldn't do it.