PDA

View Full Version : Mighty Mouse

DonziJon
11-26-2008, 06:55 PM
I've been looking at the pictures recently re-posted showing the "Mighty Mouse" (X-18) engine installation. How in the HELL do you install that engine in that space? There is absolutely NO Freakin Room around that motor to get down in there to hook up engine mounts and whatever else needs to be hooked up down along side... or aft of the motor. Probably a PITA just changing the plugs. I have heard of installations (Cats) that require the engine to be pulled to change the plugs. Just wondering. :bonk: John

gcarter
11-26-2008, 07:37 PM
GEOO is pretty trim.

MOP
11-26-2008, 08:36 PM
He is a couple of shots from the the first 1K run, yup a little tight! I think that was the year he got it into triple digits speed wise.

DonziJon
11-27-2008, 09:51 AM
GEEO is absolutely a contortionist. I have to pull At Least one seat to get under the dash on my Minx. He must be a bunch lighter than my 200# 6'2''. :lookaroun:

MOP: When I first saw the picture of GEEO with his head down next to the motor, I thought the guy standing behind him was holding onto his ankles. John

mattyboy
11-27-2008, 09:56 AM
geoo
also had some help from CDMA he is the first guy i have ever seen slip into a bilge of a v 8 16 and crawl forward

chappy
11-27-2008, 10:02 AM
geoo
also had some help from CDMA he is the first guy i have ever seen slip into a bilge of a v 8 16 and crawl forward

That's impressive:eek:.................I'm a real skinny punk, 5'11", barely 140, and I got stuck in the bilge of my 18 reaching for a plug I dropped.:boggled:

DonziJon
11-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Here's a totally wild idea. Picture the engine mounted on an aluminum frame "chassis" which is solid bolted to the inside of the transom. In turn..the drive is bolted up to the "chassis" through the transom. The WHOLE Engine, Transom, and Drive....As A Unit..slides aft..Out of the boat on tracks like an electrical console slides out of it's cabinet. A rubber gasket and a bunch of studs with elastic stop nuts secure the "Propulsion UNIT" into the boat.

Unplug the harness, and in 10 minutes you have the whole unit out of the boat to walk around, and work on, with complete access to everything. Is that Nuts....OR What? :bonk: John

mattyboy
11-27-2008, 11:44 AM
i am sure i have some unflattering pics somewhere but he can be seen in this thread, going to get an easter egg

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23152&highlight=mattyboy%27s+tank+lifting+party

olredalert
11-27-2008, 12:30 PM
-------Cant remember exactly what I was doing but I once got stuck completely inside the engine compartment of my last Corsican. It was starting to look pretty hopeless, but somehow I corkscrewed myself out of there with minimal loss of skin.......Bill S

The Hedgehog
11-27-2008, 02:21 PM
I have done that trick to get up under the front of my X-18. Dang near got stuck:shocking:

cutwater
11-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Here's a totally wild idea...

...The WHOLE Engine, Transom, and Drive....As A Unit..slides aft..Out of the boat on tracks like an electrical console slides out of it's cabinet. A rubber gasket and a bunch of studs with elastic stop nuts secure the "Propulsion UNIT" into the boat.

Unplug the harness, and in 10 minutes you have the whole unit out of the boat to walk around, and work on, with complete access to everything. Is that Nuts....OR What? :bonk: John

It's called an outboard :nilly::wink: :wink:

DonziJon
11-27-2008, 04:54 PM
It's called an outboard :nilly::wink: :wink:

YUP: Picture 1000 HP in outboards on the back of an X-18 :nilly::nilly::nilly: John

BigGrizzly
11-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Guys remember it was Chris not Geeo in the bilge. Besides it is only a small block,