PDA

View Full Version : How I spent my week

mphatc
11-26-2008, 01:22 PM
working on the Magnum 27 . . . :)
Since winter is coming, we've already seen the flakes of snow, and with my desire to use this boat next spring I new this boat needed some love after sleeping for 11 years. Using two of my techs and a couple of shop days would be a wise waste of company time. :confused: :yes:

Tuesday AM start, we made both engines run well, insert a BIG SMILE HERE! :):):) checked the charging systems and some other circuits. We then proceeded to pull both engines, to change oil, change freeze plugs as these were steel and rusty, :bonk: :bonk: rewire the bilge pump, replace one oil pan gasket, install oil drain hoses, rebuild both water pumps, clean the bilges . . replace a starter motor, and get everything back together before the holiday! It's now 1:45PM Wednesday, my Techs have gone home for the holiday, and we're done!

We cheated, the port engine is only standing in place as I'll need to pull that again to access the intermediate shaft for the Volvo drive. It needs seals and bearings. 10 minutes to pull one these babies out . .

My upholstery guy stopped by and picked up my chewed up seats, after a quick inspection he feels that all the vinyl is still soft like new and pliable, so he can repair the interior . . in the red white stripe pattern for less then $800.00! I think that is a home run?

And that painted on name . . removed without damage to the black finish . :cool: my body shop foreman told me to try the cheapest spray on oven cleaner. Three applications, let it soak for an hour, wipe off with a towel. . . buff black paint . . which I found out was Imron, this stuff is amazingly tough.

So now I have a list of parts that I need:

Volvo steering cable block, hold cable and bolts to pivot post . .I'd like another to better secure the steering set up.
Volvo tilt motor assemblies for 250 drives.
Bennett Trim tab pump and hoses.

Now I have this secret smile for the holiday weekend, and my wife has no idea why I'm so happy . . . :wink:

Mario

Team Jefe
11-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Good Luck Amigo, can't wait to see this old girl back to her former luster

superhatz
11-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Pretty sweet.....:popcorn:

MOP
11-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Good to see the cat is out of the bag! Do you have a picture of the steering block? I may have what you need and glad to get rid of some of my treasure trove!

HallJ
11-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Mario,

Nice progress!

Could you see what the pn is for the intake manifolds?
Located behind the carburetor flange.

Jeff

mphatc
11-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks guys . . I buffed the side of the boat yesterday . . WOW, Imron is tough, but buffs out well w/o swirl marks . . all traces of the old name are gone along with scratches from the cover that was on the boat for 11 years all went away .

I'll get the intake manifold number tomorrow.

I'll post a picture of the boat in shiney black as soon as I have one.

Mario