PDA

View Full Version : Whipple..?

fogducker III
11-25-2008, 10:18 AM
So I got this reply to my enquiry to Whipple.......just wonder what the "programing" entails...?

Jeremy,

Not sure if this was ever answered, but we no longer mfg. the Scorpion kit. We have some new kits that can be made to fit the motor with ease, but the computer calibration will not be 100% accurate. If you have access to someone that can help you with programming, this would be a very easy installation. The motors, with 6psi made 525hp @ 5600rpm and 550 lbs/ of torque.

Thanks,
Dustin Whipple
Whipple Superchargers
3292 N. Weber
Fresno, CA 93722
559.442.4153 Fax
dustin@whipplesuperchargers.com
www.whipplesuperchargers.com

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or
the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended
recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and
that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.

----- Original Message -----
To: tech@whipplesuperchargers.com (tech@whipplesuperchargers.com)
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 2:24 PM
Subject: Whipple for 377 Scorpion

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am interested in your supercharger for a 2000 377 Scorpion motor. Can you tell me the total price including S/H to my address below? Or if you are able to ship it to a business address to waive customs/duty? Or do you have a distributor here on the West Coast of Canada?
I also would like to know the availability? Do you have one on the shelf? And finally, what do horsepower and torque specs change to from the original Scorpion specs? Thank you.
Jeremy Poole
Shop Foreman
Flynn Canada
Victoria Branch
#8-6836 Kirkpatrick Cres.
Saanichton, BC V8M 1Z9
250-652-0599 Ph. Ex. 2534
250-652-0596 Fax.
250-880-1067 Cell.
jpoole@flynn.ca

zelatore
11-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Mostly, I think programing entails sticking sharp sticks in your eye. At least for the average home mechanic.

:boggled::nilly::boggled:

fogducker III
11-25-2008, 11:35 AM
I take it specialized equipment needed? Anybody know the process? Thanks.

Lenny
11-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Jeremy, GEOO used to remap his ECU while driving the X-18 :eek:

You might try a PM to him...

I can't imagine what your boat will be like with that hanging off of it :eek: :eek: :eek:

zelatore
11-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Generically speaking, if you wanted it to truly be spec'ed for that motor you would need to 'hack' the control programming. That's not a DIY option for normal people. If you're a biker, think PowerComander III...too bad such a beast doesn't exist for boats (to my knowledge)

Assuming it's pretty close in it's base configuration, you could probably work with the guys at Whipple to get an ECU program dialed in. Install the gear and appropriate gauges to monitor everything (including an A/F meter), then see what you get with their base-line setup. Contact them and say 'OK, I'm running lean in the 4000-4800 range, or whatever, then send them your ECU for re-programming. I don't know if they would do that or not, and you can bet there would be several back-and-forths to get it right.

Alternatively, I believe there are some people out there who can do custom ECU mapping for you. I think Hedge and Silverback might be able to suggest some people here.

Either way, it's going to involve trial and error work. The best way is to find one of these guys who can plug his laptop in and take real-time measurements while the boat is running in real-world conditions, then go back to his shop and modify your ECU program to correct for what he found on the PC. It's not going to come cheap, and if you don't have a guy around you capable of this level of work it will just be that much more of a PITA to take the boat to him. I'm guessing BC isn't quite the hotbed of performance boat techs you might find in say Miami.

cutwater
11-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Jeremy, GEOO used to remap his ECU while driving the X-18 :eek:

You might try a PM to him...

I can't imagine what your boat will be like with that hanging off of it :eek: :eek: :eek:

What did he use to do the real-time programming?

I bet you can learn a TON about whatever engine you're turning by being able to remap it on-the-go...

fogducker III
11-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Wow, sounds, confusing, time consuming and expensive...........:shocking:

So would a pro-charger be the same PITA..........? Pros and cons?

PS. Sunday weather is looking REAL good Lenny........:boat::wink:

kramsay1234
11-25-2008, 12:16 PM
:shocking:Wait a minute here...What happened to I owe, I owe, and I don't have any more money to spend, etc. Now a blower???

If you do get one, I would be jealous though. I guess 73mph is just too slow. :wink:

fogducker III
11-25-2008, 12:22 PM
SSSHHHHH! I owe I owe is the line I tell the other half when we go shopping.........:wink:

Once I get a bunch more seat time in this thing and pick everybody's brains I can, I will weigh up the pro's and con's to a blower or other methods of more HP........

Over 70 is a blast and pumps the adrenaline, I can only imagine what over 80 would be like..............:boggled:

ky-donzi
11-25-2008, 01:08 PM
I don't believe that the procharger will be as much of a problem to install. The procharger has a boost reference fuel regulator that mointers fuel pressure and when boost in sensed it ups the F.P. to increase the fuel. The pulse time of the fuel injector is not change, just the amount of the pressure. The reprograming of the ecu for the whipple is probably more proper since it modifies the pulse width threwout the rpm band. The procharge is probably much simpler to install, I did not retune my ECU. And to properly retune your ECU you will need to tune on the fly or on a dyno.

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is pretty acuart, except for speeellling sorry Zelator

zelatore
11-25-2008, 01:32 PM
KY- I think you pretty much got it. The Procharger is a less sophisticated system but seems to work pretty well on more 'mild' applications. The Whipple is a more inclusive system, however that means it has to be designed more specifically for each application. That tailoring means (at least the opportunity for) better power delivery, but at a cost.

As for spelling, you don't want to know what a dumba$$ I'd look like without spell-check...:bonk:

zelatore
11-25-2008, 03:31 PM
KYDonzi - just in case you thought spelling was all that important...try reading this:

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas t ghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it

fogducker III
11-25-2008, 03:37 PM
KYDonzi - just in case you thought spelling was all that important...try reading this:

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas t ghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it

Beautiful thread hijack.................:wink:

zelatore
11-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Beautiful thread hijack.................:wink:

I do what I can :bonk:

SilverBack
11-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Fogducker...What computer do you have? If it is a Mefi 3 or 4 it may not be that bad to get a calibration done. The best way to do it is on a dyno but if you can find someone that has done another scorpion you can mail them your computer and they can load the right program for your engine...blower..boost..fuel pressure.

Cal-Man is one of if not the best in the country. The name of his company is Precision Marine. I think his web address is pmefi.com

You can call and talk to Mark if you want to go this route. He is in contact with Dustin Whipple all of the time to my knowledge.

fogducker III
11-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Fogducker...What computer do you have? If it is a Mefi 3 or 4 it may not be that bad to get a calibration done. The best way to do it is on a dyno but if you can find someone that has done another scorpion you can mail them your computer and they can load the right program for your engine...blower..boost..fuel pressure.

Cal-Man is one of if not the best in the country. The name of his company is Precision Marine. I think his web address is pmefi.com

You can call and talk to Mark if you want to go this route. He is in contact with Dustin Whipple all of the time to my knowledge.

Not sure what "computer" I have.........:confused:

I have done some research and between the fine details of hooking up a Whipple that is not really meant for the engine, as well as the time and cost of sending parts and information back and forth, I think a good route for what I want might be a procharger set-up ...?

I am not out to break any records, just would like to have something different, mind you, an 18C at over 73mph with a safe comfortable ride is different in some eyes...........

I just would like to have something that, when I learn to drive it, might make me buy some Depends.............:eek:

LKSD
11-26-2008, 12:42 AM
I don't believe that the procharger will be as much of a problem to install. The procharger has a boost reference fuel regulator that mointers fuel pressure and when boost in sensed it ups the F.P. to increase the fuel. The pulse time of the fuel injector is not change, just the amount of the pressure. The reprograming of the ecu for the whipple is probably more proper since it modifies the pulse width threwout the rpm band. The procharge is probably much simpler to install, I did not retune my ECU. And to properly retune your ECU you will need to tune on the fly or on a dyno.

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is pretty acuart, except for speeellling sorry Zelator

Actually there is no procharger kit for that specific application, Also that one May have the pcm 555 on it. THat is not a ECM to monkey with unless you know what you are doing. You would have to plan to modify an existing procharger kit to work on that application and custom fit the boost tube to the intake to make it work at minimum. The Whipple would be a little easier to get going but there are only a few that CAN program your ecm if you have the 555 unit. Otherwise the mefi 4/5 can be done a little easier, but you still need a special set up for it. NOW if y ou are going to run an all out custom efi set up on it with a different ecm & wire harness and tune it on a dyno it doesnt really matter whos blower you use.. But no matter which way you would go on this engine it will be more time consuming and costly than most other small blocks or applications because of what you will need to do.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

fogducker III
11-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks for all the VERY useful info! How do I tell which ECM it has?

I am not really keen on pulling the motor and having to have it dyno'd.....especially around here, I don't think there even is a dyno local.........:confused: also trying to find somebody around here that even knows what an ECM is might be a challenge......:eek:

I guess it looks like I keep her as she is or look at a different motor......naw.......it is fine how it is.........:yes:

BigGrizzly
11-26-2008, 10:50 AM
If I was going to Wippe it I would use the Holly system because Wipple was no help to us. Garry's Dad did his truck with it.

fogducker III
11-26-2008, 11:01 AM
If I was going to Wippe it I would use the Holly system because Wipple was no help to us. Garry's Dad did his truck with it.

Thank you sir, I did not even know Holley did a system......:eek:

I will Google it and see what I come up with, do you personally know of any marine applications along the lines of my set-up?

fogducker III
11-26-2008, 11:48 AM
I just contacted Holley about the Weiand line of blowers, they do not make anything that will fit my application anymore..........:frown:

I have an email into BDS and Hampton as well, see where that goes.........:crossfing:

BUIZILLA
11-26-2008, 12:07 PM
your not going to find anything...

kramsay1234
11-26-2008, 12:21 PM
without being an expert, my guess is that because you already have a "built" motor, that you will not find many manufacturers designing a system to modify a modified motor. Just pick up a 500EFI and away you go. You missed out on the other one of those when Air bought his. The blue motor will match your boat as well as the scorpion does, but will also inspire some Depends. And by the time you buy a supercharger and install and fiddle and blah blah, you would be better off buying the new motor and selling yours. Just my couple of pennies.

fogducker III
11-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Points taken, heard, understood and heading back to the drawing board...........:bonk::cussball:

BigGrizzly
11-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Let me fix that drawing board. Unless you are very good and have a dyno It will cost you big. Geoo worked with BDS and Craig. over the phone. You can make anything work if you know how. BTW unless your a known engine guy you won't get good information from these guys. If your really serious then save your pennies and do it right.

fogducker III
11-26-2008, 03:03 PM
I agree with you 100%

I am old enough and at least smart enough to know when I am in over my head on most things, but I do have to find out enough information before hand to come to this conclusion.............:yes:

Obviously unless you have DEEP pockets or are a VERY capable mechanic, a blower is not in the future.........:frown:

I now think that I keep my boat as it is, enjoy it, get LOADS of seat time and then look at either swapping out the engine or changing boats/power packages all together...........at least I know I can swap an engine out........:wrench:

Thanks again for all the great info............

PS. Happy Thanksgiving Day to all our "southern" folks..........:salute:

The Hedgehog
11-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Jamie is right on the money. If you have a PCM 555 you are probably SOL.

If you have a MEFI 3 or 4 Cal Man probably has a program that's pretty close. Contact him he will tell you what you need to do.

Eddie Young has done a similar setup before but I don't think he has a base cal.

TREYSTJOHN
11-27-2008, 09:53 AM
May want to give guys at Arizona Speed a call http://www.azspeed-marine.com/ Pretty sure they can help you. They were the guys that developed the original EFI for the Merc 320hp small blocks and have done many various applications since so they probably have several base maps you could use with their Ingenious system. They may even be able to reprogram your ecu depending on which one you have.

DONZI
11-27-2008, 10:28 AM

I bet you can learn a TON about whatever engine you're turning by being able to remap it on-the-go...

If i remember right Geoo used the F.A.S.T. system.
http://www.fuelairspark.com

Grizz mentioned Craig from B.D.S. who is Nationally known as one of the best and very busy of course.
These systems aren't exactly for beginners.
The Accel system is suppose to be a lil more user friendly. I have the earlier version Cal Map 6 which is complicated.Here's a link to the newer version
http://www.accel-dfi.com/Default.aspx
Mine-
http://inlinethumb09.webshots.com/9928/2089082950101021175S200x200Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2089082950101021175Xjhpgn)

The Hedgehog
11-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Be careful with AZM. We have a guy from Bama that sent his pleneum out to be extrude honed. It got caught up over there for 6 months. I have heard a bunch of stories like that. I have heard that their products are good but service is not that good.

I have heard about other tuners getting to fix their stuff after they don't tune it right. One actually has a "wall of shame" of all of their stuff that did not work.

LKSD
11-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Jamie is right on the money. If you have a PCM 555 you are probably SOL.

If you have a MEFI 3 or 4 Cal Man probably has a program that's pretty close. Contact him he will tell you what you need to do.

Eddie Young has done a similar setup before but I don't think he has a base cal.

Thanks Bill...

I am pretty sure it is a PCM 555 as this engine I think has the Motorolla Mototron set up on it..

FAST has stuff that you can adapt and or sometimes plug directly into the oem sensors and improve upon from there. However You really outta think of doing that on a Dyno... ;) Jamie

LKSD
11-27-2008, 12:28 PM
If i remember right Geoo used the F.A.S.T. system.
http://www.fuelairspark.com

Grizz mentioned Craig from B.D.S. who is Nationally known as one of the best and very busy of course.
These systems aren't exactly for beginners.
The Accel system is suppose to be a lil more user friendly. I have the earlier version Cal Map 6 which is complicated.Here's a link to the newer version
http://www.accel-dfi.com/Default.aspx
Mine-
http://inlinethumb09.webshots.com/9928/2089082950101021175S200x200Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2089082950101021175Xjhpgn)

Yes You are correct, FAST has stuff that can be made to work well, but it is not really a weekend worrior type of thing to do.. And yes the Holley or Accell stuff on the market is really only for a NA engine set up unless you have a dyno and or good knowledge of how to tweak & cal this stuff, not to mention the tools and software for it.. :) Jamie

LKSD
11-27-2008, 12:34 PM

Yes, but you can shorten it's life span even faster than you can learn about the engine in messing with it. That is if you dont already know what you are getting into.. It is something best left to someone that has knowledge of how to do this already, or be shown.. Otherwise it can be a costly learning process if you dont pay complete attention to every aspect of what you are doing.. ;)

LKSD
11-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Not sure what "computer" I have.........:confused:

I have done some research and between the fine details of hooking up a Whipple that is not really meant for the engine, as well as the time and cost of sending parts and information back and forth, I think a good route for what I want might be a procharger set-up ...?

I am not out to break any records, just would like to have something different, mind you, an 18C at over 73mph with a safe comfortable ride is different in some eyes...........

I just would like to have something that, when I learn to drive it, might make me buy some Depends.............:eek:

I am pretty sure you have the motorolla/mototron 555 on that engine.. I am thinking that because Merc started into that stuff around the late 90's early 2k's if my memory is correct.. Serial # of engine & info off of the ecm ( numbers) would help also to determine which one is on your engine. ;) J

Lenny
11-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Jeremy, just pull the Scorpion out of there, we'll drop it into my LE18, then you can pick-up a 496 MAGHO and P/C it :D

fogducker III
11-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Jeremy, just pull the Scorpion out of there, we'll drop it into my LE18, then you can pick-up a 496 MAGHO and P/C it :D

:eek::yes:

The Hedgehog
11-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Yes, but you can shorten it's life span even faster than you can learn about the engine in messing with it. That is if you dont already know what you are getting into.. It is something best left to someone that has knowledge of how to do this already, or be shown.. Otherwise it can be a costly learning process if you dont pay complete attention to every aspect of what you are doing.. ;)

Yes indeed. Go to a dyno and actually watch someone program one and you will see that a novice playing trial and error could melt one down quick.

J is right, leave the programming down to the pros. The ONLY person that I know of that has a key to the PCM 555 is Dustin Whipple and I don't think that he can do much more than play with the timing.

BigGrizzly
11-28-2008, 09:23 AM
TresJohn, Arizona speed Marine did not design the original EFI for Merc, they did their own for the 350. It just sounded like you meant they did it for Mercury. I personaly know the tean leader for that project and he no longer works there he was a contractor ie temp employee.

LKSD
12-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Update... :) Fogducker, I just spoke with Dustin tonight when I was ordering up another unit for a customer in my shop. I talked with him on your need.

I could sell & drop ship you that kit however the throttle body is a little different from the one that was originally used thus the remote possibility of having to reflash the ecm again after the original flash for the install. The reason fo that is the SF window would be run a whisker on the rich side for you because the new TB flows a little bit more air. You may or may not need a little bit of extra fuel because of that, or it may be perfect and not need a tweak period after install & base fuel psi is set.. If the ecm after install & water test needed a tweak he would cover it under the price I give you. He would also supply modified instructions that would apply to the new style TB used on this kit. If it interests you let me know as I can give you a price on the Whipple Scorpion kit. ;) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

BUIZILLA
12-01-2008, 06:54 PM
now that's some wacky paddle good service rat der.... :pimp:

The Hedgehog
12-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Way to go Jamie. Nice homework!

LKSD
12-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Way to go Jamie. Nice homework!

Thanks.. I do try.. :) Jamie

fogducker III
12-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Update... :) Fogducker, I just spoke with Dustin tonight when I was ordering up another unit for a customer in my shop. I talked with him on your need.

I could sell & drop ship you that kit however the throttle body is a little different from the one that was originally used thus the remote possibility of having to reflash the ecm again after the original flash for the install. The reason fo that is the SF window would be run a whisker on the rich side for you because the new TB flows a little bit more air. You may or may not need a little bit of extra fuel because of that, or it may be perfect and not need a tweak period after install & base fuel psi is set.. If the ecm after install & water test needed a tweak he would cover it under the price I give you. He would also supply modified instructions that would apply to the new style TB used on this kit. If it interests you let me know as I can give you a price on the Whipple Scorpion kit. ;) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

I love it when you talk dirty................:eek:

So what does that mean in English? I understand most of it but bottom line, should I be screwing with this engine or not?

My gut instinct is to leave well enough alone and when I move up to a 22 I can "play" with power packages.............:popcorn:

zelatore
12-02-2008, 09:50 AM

So what does that mean in English? I understand most of it but bottom line, should I be screwing with this engine or not?

My gut instinct is to leave well enough alone and when I move up to a 22 I can "play" with power packages.............:popcorn:

Your gut instinct is probably right on almost every logical count.

A while ago I was talking to a guy here at my office who was asking about my Donzi. 'How fast is it now?' Low 70's I tell him. 'And why would you ever want to make it faster?! Isn't that fast enough? Isn't it going to be dangerous to go 80 mph? When can you ever go that fast anyway?' I started to try to explain to him, then I realize he owned a sailboat....:bonk:

But really, you've got a 'fast' boat now that's dead reliable and interesting as-is. So do I. So by most logical measures there's no need to be looking at blowers - they just cost money, make the boat less reliable, add some danger factor, and all for what? Well, just because people like us always want to go a little faster; get a little bigger thrill. Nothing wrong with that.

In your case, if you plan to move up any time soon I could make a sound argument against doing the blower. You'll never get your money back out of it, yada, yada, yada. But if you plan to keep it, I say do what you want! You'll have the only one, and that alone may be enough payoff for you.

fogducker III
12-02-2008, 10:13 AM
VERY good points Don, thanks for helping put my feet back on the ground......:wink:

It is interesting though looking at options for different power plants isn't it....?

You are 100% right about cost, I never new really how much a blower would cost, I don't mean just off the shelf price, all the money it would take to set it up, test it etc........:frown:

Donziweasel
12-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Cost wouldn't necessarily deter me if I was Jeremy. Lack of support in his area, adapting a system not designed for his setup, and the major headaches of the ECU would do it though.:wink:

I've seen his boat run. Airs out really nice. Had at least 3-4 mph on Lenny's setup including the Alpha SS. I bet you can get 75+ when it is all done.

You could also try and find an Alpha SS, would add probably 6-7 mph.

fogducker III
12-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Cost wouldn't necessarily deter me if I was Jeremy. Lack of support in his area, adapting a system not designed for his setup, and the major headaches of the ECU would do it though.:wink:

I've seen his boat run. Airs out really nice. Had at least 3-4 mph on Lenny's setup including the Alpha SS. I bet you can get 75+ when it is all done.

Your right John, up here it would be double the cost, IF you could find somebody to help, to set up a blower or even a pro-charger...........

I will just play with props, learn how to drive the damn thing and get our butts down to AOTH in May...........:crossfing:

roadtrip se
12-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Your right John, up here it would be double the cost, IF you could find somebody to help, to set up a blower or even a pro-charger...........

I will just play with props, learn how to drive the damn thing and get our butts down to AOTH in May...........:crossfing:

As a factory Scorpion 18 alum, I thought the thing was fast enough at 75-ish,
especially when she decided to remind you that she was running 75-ish and throw a little twist or dive in the mix.

Besides she runs fast enough to serve notice to most 22's out there. I will never forget the look on the Undertaker's face
last year when we ran with him all the way back from Lee's Ford. Or the compliment Phil Lip paid Jill for her detrmination to
stay up in front of the pack during the start of the lunch run at AOTH.

The Scorpion runs awesome in that package, so enjoy it.

BigGrizzly
12-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Well frogducker, I was going to stay out of this part of the post but I think you need to know a few things. One putting a wipple on an engine that the homework wasn't done for you (unless you were in my situation) is not a smart move. Now Some on the board can do it fairly well, but it is not easy. The chances of making a fatal error in building the unit would be the norm not the exception. Two Driving a 75 to 85 mph 18 is not all it is cracked up to be. Lets not bring Geoo into this because that was a 6+ year experience. Then there is the steering, with out dull hydraulic you are making a grave error. So the answer to your last question is don't do it unless you have many Doubloons stashed away.

Donziweasel
12-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Randy, he's got full hydraulic steering and a imco shorty on the drive.

zelatore
12-02-2008, 11:39 AM
You are 100% right about cost, I never new really how much a blower would cost, I don't mean just off the shelf price, all the money it would take to set it up, test it etc........:frown:

Stop reminding me of the cost! I'm trying to put that out of my mind and just send Jamie my Visa number...

LKSD
12-02-2008, 06:48 PM

Im not sure what what part of the bottom line you need more info on, but that is ok. If you would like me to explain anything more or possibly rephrase it for you feel free to give me a shout during the day.. I know that not everyone has gone in to these things as far as I and some other have.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628

LKSD
12-02-2008, 06:54 PM
VERY good points Don, thanks for helping put my feet back on the ground......:wink:

It is interesting though looking at options for different power plants isn't it....?

Yes, mods can get sometimes get more indepth than just bolting on some kit.. :) It is always wise to ask if there are any other things that may need to be done in addition to any upgrade.. For example when people inquire about blowers with me I always tell them that there are other things to also keep in mind at least financially. Things like steering, drive showers, planes/tabs, other possible drive or engine mods if applicable, etc.. And thats just on some of the blowers.. SO it is good to try to look at the overall view before you pull the trigger on a lot of things.. :) Jamie

fogducker III
12-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Im not sure what what part of the bottom line you need more info on, but that is ok. If you would like me to explain anything more or possibly rephrase it for you feel free to give me a shout during the day.. I know that not everyone has gone in to these things as far as I and some other have.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628

I understand what you are saying Jamie, I guess what I am saying is that after receive ALOT of info, taking this engine and boat package I have much further is not the best idea. As well as most here on the site, I am on a learning curve and with time, experience and $$$ restrictions, some things are best left alone...........

Randy, I hear what you are saying and appreciate the info, just so you know, I am not a newbie at boating, just new to this boat..............:wink:

LKSD
12-02-2008, 07:03 PM

John, It isnt that there is headaches in the ECM on this application. The only thing that is slightly in question it will the ecm have to stay a sliver on the rich side due to the new style throttle body allowing air to flow in a little easier than the old one. They already have a tried & true calibration for the Blue 377.. So the ecm cal on this kit we would just have set a tiny bit on the rich side incase it needs it during water testing. If it is a little too rich yet then it can always go back to the standard blower calibration. Otherwise it can stay a little fat as long as it isnt allowing a excessive fuel into the crank case or excessive transom suit. Also that said some transom suit on some is not always uncommon. If nothing else a engine a whisker on the fat side is safer than being too lean.

Actually a little know trivia on the earlier 496s is that Merc had let the ecms leave fat to help keep the combustion temps down a little. After they had a good many out there they had leaned it up a bit because there were many that coomplained about the transoms getting black after just a little use. The transoms still get suitted up a little on them these days, but not as bad as some of the earlier ones. They also offered some of the people with the earlier 496s a recal to help clean up the transom a little after they were comfy with having more that were a little leaner in the field.. :) Jamie

LKSD
12-02-2008, 07:05 PM

Fog, yes these are good things to also take into consideration. Competent and carefull install and set up of any blower is just as important if not more important than choosing the unit to be installed.. :) J

LKSD
12-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Well frogducker, I was going to stay out of this part of the post but I think you need to know a few things. One putting a wipple on an engine that the homework wasn't done for you (unless you were in my situation) is not a smart move. Now Some on the board can do it fairly well, but it is not easy. The chances of making a fatal error in building the unit would be the norm not the exception. Two Driving a 75 to 85 mph 18 is not all it is cracked up to be. Lets not bring Geoo into this because that was a 6+ year experience. Then there is the steering, with out dull hydraulic you are making a grave error. So the answer to your last question is don't do it unless you have many Doubloons stashed away.

Griz, is right. Again install is something that does require some knowledge and attention to detail on. And yes the faster you go, the more you will need to pay attention to things, and the more skill and knowledge in driving and maintainance you will need to gain. They are aquired skills though that are learned over time.. They are also part of the learning and growing process. :) J

LKSD
12-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Stop reminding me of the cost! I'm trying to put that out of my mind and just send Jamie my Visa number...

I like how you think...

Now stimulate the economy !.. Lol.. just teasing ya.. :) Jamie

LKSD
12-02-2008, 07:17 PM
I understand what you are saying Jamie, I guess what I am saying is that after receive ALOT of info, taking this engine and boat package I have much further is not the best idea. As well as most here on the site, I am on a learning curve and with time, experience and $$$ restrictions, some things are best left alone...........

Randy, I hear what you are saying and appreciate the info, just so you know, I am not a newbie at boating, just new to this boat..............:wink:

Fog, No problem. No matter what you ever decide to do your blue 377 is already a very stout formitable adversary for a lot of boats out there. I also perfectly understand where you are coming from. A blown application is not for everyone. And as far as performance work is concerned there are many times that there are more than one option to consider. I just wanted to if nothing else elaborate on the topic for you and other that were interested in it. Also if you havent aready noticed I really like to shoot the breeze about this type of stuff, as do a bunch of others obviously do as well.. lol..

undertaker
12-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Damn Jaime you are a post whore...:wink::wink::bonk::bonk:

LKSD
12-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Damn Jaime you are a post whore...:wink::wink::bonk::bonk:
ooooooooooooH... Climax..!!! YES!
I guess I did get a bit chatty & post happy in this thread.. lol :) J

zelatore
12-02-2008, 07:39 PM
.. SO it is good to try to look at the overall view before you pull the trigger on a lot of things.. :) Jamie

He's such a buzz-kill...

LKSD
12-02-2008, 07:50 PM
He's such a buzz-kill...

lol.. SHhhh, Thats supposed to be a secret! . :)

BigGrizzly
12-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Frog I was sure you were not new to boating. I have been going fast on everything with an engine in it and I will tell you even in a well set up 22, 85+ is not an easy task. The only times I go full tilt is to prove a point or see if I can still do it. Only a hand full of people know how fast my boat is and that is because I quit at a certain speed unless I have my Depends on.:shocking: Just saying it sounds like your 18 is bullet proof to a point so just enjoy it. As for the engine set up, I am lucky I have the drag racing hall of fame people here as friends, so it is pretty safe for me to do the blower route.