PDA

View Full Version : Help With Hull Numbers

Captain Steve
11-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Hay Now,
I'm having trouble Identifying my hull numbers, Can Anyone help?
Thanks Steve

brwn234
11-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Huh??? Are you talking about the Hull Identification Number, HIN?

mattyboy
11-23-2008, 01:36 PM
18-77 ?????? 16-77 ???????

ferro who the hell is ferro

brwn234
11-23-2008, 01:41 PM
What do those numbers refer to? Where are they located?

mattyboy
11-23-2008, 01:54 PM
the older pre 73 model year boats did not have a HIN the HIN's were mandated by the coast guard a stamped number on the transom . the older boats were hand written hull numbers it looks like capt steve has posted a pic of the hull number written by the bow eye which was one of the areas were they marked the hull the back of the dash was another area

Captain Steve
11-23-2008, 01:58 PM
What do those numbers refer to? Where are they located?

The numbers are at the bow , The two nuts are the back of the bow eye , I have seen the older hulls have the numbers here . written in magic marker and then fiberglassed over. Im trying to see if they can help me trace the hull . Also I have no idea who Ferro is he may have been one of the guys who laid the fiberglass. Or is that an FCRRO?

Ghost
11-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Sure it's not a cement boat?? (http://www.ferrocement.org/) :nilly: :nilly:

Or a steel backing plate? :wink:

BERTRAM BOY
11-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Like Matty said, none behind the dash?

Captain Steve
11-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Or a steel backing plate? :wink:

O.S. Very Cool info on the cement boat I never heard of that, however I know where a cement sail boat is located around 40' in length on Long Island. I have seen this since I was a little boy and wondered to this day if it would float.Well now I know Its real .Thank You for answering a life long question. On the other hand what is a steel backing plate?

ps: The boat is not a cement boat it is a Donzi and it's 18' long More info on the hull tomorrow.

I will check behind the dash on Wednesday

Bob
11-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Ferro is a (was a?) gelcoat manufacturing company. Maybe the numbers refer to a Ferro color for the gel. As stated, hull numbers were frequently written on back of dash by the instrument panel and by the bow eye. Usually with a magic marker.
I also found my hull number stamped on the steel bracket that connects the bow lifting eye to the hull (down by the keel at the end of the threaded rod). It was stamped on the back side.
Of course the foil tag goes without saying. Good luck playing where's Waldo ....i mean hull #.

Ghost
11-24-2008, 11:10 PM
On the other hand what is a steel backing plate?

In this context, it's just me being unhelpful and piling on the silliness, but every use of 'ferro' I've run across has to do with iron, often steel, but I think that is simply because steel is mostly iron. I believe the Latin word for iron has the root 'ferr', and I always assumed that's why the chemical symbol for iron is 'FE." (I also understand that Milwaukee is an Indian word, pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land" :)) Anyway, ferrocement, whether for boats or other construction, as I understand it, is concrete reinforced with steel, often wire mesh. In the case of my comment, it looks like something is encapsulated in the glass, and they labeled it 'ferro' for some odd reason.

Bob's note above about gelcoat gets my vote for the most plausible answer.

f_inscreenname
11-25-2008, 03:58 PM
In this context, it's just me being unhelpful and piling on the silliness, but every use of 'ferro' I've run across has to do with iron, often steel, but I think that is simply because steel is mostly iron. I believe the Latin word for iron has the root 'ferr', and I always assumed that's why the chemical symbol for iron is 'FE." (I also understand that Milwaukee is an Indian word, pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land" :)) Anyway, ferrocement, whether for boats or other construction, as I understand it, is concrete reinforced with steel, often wire mesh. In the case of my comment, it looks like something is encapsulated in the glass, and they labeled it 'ferro' for some odd reason.

Bob's note above about gelcoat gets my vote for the most plausible answer.

http://www.supernova19.com/forumcw/Smileys/classic/clueless.gif (javascript:void(0);)
I guess................................:boggled:

Captain Steve
11-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Ferro is a (was a?) gelcoat manufacturing company. Maybe the numbers refer to a Ferro color for the gel. As stated, hull numbers were frequently written on back of dash by the instrument panel and by the bow eye. Usually with a magic marker.
I also found my hull number stamped on the steel bracket that connects the bow lifting eye to the hull (down by the keel at the end of the threaded rod). It was stamped on the back side.
Of course the foil tag goes without saying. Good luck playing where's Waldo ....i mean hull #.

Hi Bob,
Where is the foil tag located? I am not familiar with it.

mattyboy
11-26-2008, 07:52 AM
i have seen them in two spots behind the rear seat cushion and on the bulkhead for the rear seat in the bilge

if they are written on the bow eye they are written on the back of the dash as well, post pics of the boat if it is an early barrelback i doubt it has a foil tag

mattyboy
11-26-2008, 08:24 AM
ferro was a gel supplier do you glass finish guys know if different gels need different treatments or setup techniques, i guess my point is why would they mark the type of gel on the inside of the hull??

Captain Steve
11-26-2008, 09:47 AM
I am going to check it out and I will post pics of what I find.....Thanks' Matty

Captain Steve
11-28-2008, 10:06 PM
I found the numbers under the dash but I did not find the numbers under the lifting bolt hold down plate or any foil tags anywhere . However here are the pics of dash numbers. It also says "FERRO" under the dash...

Bob
11-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Tough to read but looks like a match between the hull (bow eye) and the deck (dash). Post the numbers and we can translate.

BUIZILLA
11-29-2008, 06:13 AM
looks like 18-98
6-66

Captain Steve
11-29-2008, 11:06 AM
It does look like 18-98 on top then a funky number like 39 then 6-66 then the word FERRO........Yes It matches the bow eye numbers
So what does it all mean?