PDA

View Full Version : driving sims?

zelatore
11-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Any video game enthusiasts out there?

I'm not one - I'm pretty much out of touch with the whole video game world. The last game console I owned was an Atari 2600 although from time to time I did play some friends' games in collage...even that was a good 10 years ago.

But I'm thinking this might be the year to pick up one of the driving sims. I think a console game (Play Station, etc) would be best so I don't have to run out and buy a new PC to run a state of the art game, but I'd consider that option as well if I could get what I want.

Here's what I'm looking for:

As close to real-life physics as possible, along with the ability to tune the cars via suspension and tire setup.

Real cars - specifically, I'm looking for my BMW 335i

My local tracks - Sears Point/Infinion Raceway, Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, Reno-Finley, Buttonwillow, & Willow Springs.

I'm not interested in on-line racing; what I want is a way to practice with the video game before I actually take the car out so I can get more out of my weekend's track time. i.e. I can get up to speed faster without 're-learning' the track. Real track days are expensive and time consuming, this seems like a way to get a little more out of each weekend.

Problem is, I'm totally in the dark on what's what in the video game world. I don't have any friends who are really into it, and I don't know any kids to ask about the games - although I suppose their input would be questionable since they wouldn't have any actual experience to compare the game too.

Can anybody point me to a list of cars/tracks in particular games? I tried looking for the track and car list for Gran Turismo tonight, but I didn't get very far.