PDA

View Full Version : My favorite boat

zelatore
11-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Since I'm at home today I thought I'd snap a couple pics of my 'favorite' boat.

My grandfather built this from plans for a 1932 Ed Monk design. Overall, it's about 18" long (1'=1") and lives on my dining room table.

I'm not sure where he got the plans; sometimes he gets them from places like Wooden Boat magazine, sometimes he takes pics of a full size boat somewhere and scales it back then lofts his own drawings, and sometimes he just builds from memory.

As a young man, he worked for years in a small marina on the Ohio River in Evansville, IN. He later opened his own shop on Lake Barkley, which he moved to Cadiz, KY in the 70s. He sold it in the late 80's or early 90’s – I don’t recall the exact year.

As for the model, I'm amazed at the level of detail. I could never pull this off. Pretty much everything but the prop he made by hand. The hull planking and stringers go together exactly like a full size boat, except he didn't screw the planks to the frames, he only glued them. Although knowing how detailed (anal, some might say) he is I wouldn't have been surprised if he had told me he made then installed hundreds of tiny screws and bungs to cover them.

The gauges are wood blocks he painted, glued down a paper 'face' with needle for the front, then floated a drop of clear over the front to create the lens.

Note the 6v battery, complete with actual wires; the rule-type bilge pump with rubber hose going to a thru-hull; the spark plugs with wires; the copper fuel line running from the tank in the back to the fuel pump; even the tank vent to a thru-hull on the stb. side. Just about everything is cut from wood, even the 'metal' parts which he covered with a rub-on silver leaf type finish. I believe the rub rail, prop, shaft, and fuel line are the only metal parts on it. The seats are wood (because 'I don't do upholstery'); and the coaming bolsters are split pieces of wire sheathing.

The sled it sits on is modeled on one of the service skids they had at the first marina where he worked as a mechanic. They'd pull a boat onto it, then use a tractor to drag it up the bank.

I know some of you either have an appreciation for old boat or are model builders in your own right. I don't know how long it took him to build this model, but it was (is) his favorite. He's built quite a few models over the years, but I'm lucky he chose to give this one to me. I suspect it's because I'm the only person in the family still working in the boat business.

My family isn’t especially close. Plus, I live on the other side of the country, so I don’t often see any of them. This boat is my touch-stone to my grandfather and probably my single most prized possession. It's about 10 years old now and holding up pretty well, although I did have to re-glue part of the bow rub-rail after it's trip from TN to CA when he gave it to me a few years ago.

Fair warning: the pictures are big.

f_inscreenname
11-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Very nice!

boxy
11-21-2008, 02:30 PM
That is one of the coolest things I ever seen posted here.
(and I was around for the original Donzi Girls :D)

CJmike
11-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Great workmanship.

Craig S
11-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Nice!!!

zelatore
11-21-2008, 03:54 PM
That's a pretty sweet looking example you've got there yourself Poodle. Looks like all the rigging is functional too - that's a ton of work.

I'm fascinated by the people who have the patience and skill to create these exact miniature replicas - even people who have the skill to pull it off often don't have patience to do it. It's a rare few who can build these things.

While I was on vacation last month I spent an entire day at the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath http://www.mainemaritimemuseum.org/
They had a large sailing model on display in the entrance that was originally built for a world's fair (?) or similar event, It was a big sucker - 4 or 5 mast'er as I recall - and accurate. It was about 10' long and 6' high I think. It was also a working sailing model, and apparently fast enough they couldn't keep up with it in the rowboats of the day when they sailed it, so it was a chore to catch it and bring it back to shore.

I'd post some pictures, but they're all on Michele's laptop and she's off in Detroit trying to sell some LEDs or something...:wink:

I don’t know all of my grandfather’s models. Some were pretty simple, while others like this one were quite elaborate. Almost all of them are powerboats, since he didn’t have a sailing background. I know at one point he was contacted by somebody with Mystic Seaport about displaying some of his work but I don’t know if anything came of it. He is a stickler for detail though. I can remember him looking at pictures in model maker magazines and saying things like ‘just look at that cleat – it’s completely wrong for that year!’ or ‘that line is totally off-scale!’ While that may make for a good modeler, it did make him a bit difficult to get along with…

Ghost
11-24-2008, 01:22 PM
That model is stunning.