PDA

View Full Version : Steering actuator leak

brwn234
11-18-2008, 09:53 PM
I got all kinds of leaks. The newest, I noticed the other day. The bottom of the bilge had a good amount of ATF in it. I checked the tabs, good to go. Checked the trim, no leaks there. I tried to look at the steering ram behind the motor. Couldnt see any obvious signs but a it looked wet. Checked the power steering pump reservoir and sure enough it was low. It's a bravo I. Can this actuator be rebuilt, or seals replaced? I found one on ebay right down the road really cheap. Are they pretty much the same throughout the years? It doesnt have a part number. The only other leak is an internal leak in the drive pump. It isnt that noticable until you come back the next day and the drive has dropped.

MOP
11-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Not worth re building, you can get new off Ebay pretty cheap!

Phil

BlownCrewCab
11-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Do you have a pic of the one you have? I have an aftermarket one laying in my tool box for years now. if it looks to be the same you can have it for shipping. (now I'll need to go find it)

fogducker III
11-19-2008, 02:32 PM
I believe that Merc changed to the new style in 1994...? If yours is pre-1994 I also have a spare one.........

brwn234
11-19-2008, 07:49 PM
It's from a 2000 22zx with a bravo I. I'll have to see how involved it is to remove and take some pics. I've got a merc factory manual which makes it look pretty easy but are there any tricks to removing it so the new one can be installed correctly?

brwn234
11-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Removed the actuator today and took some pictures. It wasnt that bad, kinda tight. Hardest part was the fittings were pretty rusted. One of them broke off. Theres alot of slack on the hose so I think I'll be able to have a new fitting pressed on. Does anybody know of a hydraulic fitting dealer in the Fort Lauderdale area that could help me? I think that would be cheaper than buying a new merc hose. The last pic is as good as I could do in the dark, it's the broken fitting. It's a crimped on hardline hose. The hardline if flared and has an o-ring on it.

BUIZILLA
11-20-2008, 07:35 PM
find Lester's Diner on 84

south on that 4 lane road about 2 blocks, right side, on the corner..

Hydraulic Supply Co.

brwn234
11-20-2008, 08:09 PM
You the man

BUIZILLA
11-20-2008, 08:20 PM
buy yourself some flare nut wrenches... :wink:

BlownCrewCab
11-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Isn't Dollar Marine just a block away also? they could hook him up for twice the price..Lol....I miss Lesters Diner, haven't been there in years.

brwn234
11-20-2008, 09:32 PM
I've got some flare nut wrenches in my tool box but didnt plan very well and forgot to grab them when I went to the boat. I still think it would have broke. The tubing was actually rusted and siezed to the flare nut so they wouldnt turn independently. One was completley rusted the other pretty much fine. I dont get it.

BlownCrewCab
11-20-2008, 09:45 PM
I've got some flare nut wrenches in my tool box but didnt plan very well and forgot to grab them when I went to the boat. I still think it would have broke. The tubing was actually rusted and siezed to the flare nut so they wouldnt turn independently. One was completley rusted the other pretty much fine. I dont get it.

so you think the actuator is fine but you had a hose/fitting problem? if not I'll look for my actuator tomorrow. It's New (I forgot to mention) If I find it I'll send it to you and you can store it in your tool box:shades:

brwn234
11-20-2008, 10:37 PM
The Actuator is leaking and then I broke the hose fitting removing it. Nothing is ever easy with my boat.
If you or someone you know could wear a new XL Donzi TShirt I'll send that with a check. Brand New, if you want it. Too big for me to wear.

BlownCrewCab
11-21-2008, 10:12 AM
That would fit Me. PM Me your address.

brwn234
11-24-2008, 06:57 PM
I just noticed some of the newer Merc actuators and hoses have quick release fittings. Why would someone need this. I couldnt see carrying an extra actuator in my boat "just in case" and then needing quick release fittings to install a new one. Or is because some boats have less room to work near the transom?