PDA

View Full Version : Valve spring oilers

cutwater
11-18-2008, 07:52 PM
I got an email from KE Performance, which is now making a valve spring oiler system for BBC. Anyone know if someone makes a set for SBC (not already integrated into the valve covers)??

You would think this might help extend valvetrain life in boats since we generally run them at 50% of WOT or above for long periods of time...

wagspe208
11-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Check CV Products in North Carolina. They are big NASCAR and stock car parts guys. They should have them. 800-448-1223 If someone is making a line to install like they do the BBC stuff. They DO have covers with the sprayers installed already.
Wags

Oh, hell, I forgot which site I was on. Very common with stock car guys. Whether it is worth the $$ depends on cam profile. How much you are stressing a spring. If you are running a hyd cam..forget it. Big roller..heck yes.

cutwater
11-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Check CV Products in North Carolina. They are big NASCAR and stock car parts guys. They should have them. 800-448-1223 If someone is making a line to install like they do the BBC stuff. They DO have covers with the sprayers installed already.
Wags

Oh, hell, I forgot which site I was on. Very common with stock car guys. Whether it is worth the $$ depends on cam profile. How much you are stressing a spring. If you are running a hyd cam..forget it. Big roller..heck yes.

Thanks Wags. Yeah, I have found them already installed in the covers, but KE has them as an "add-on". And yeah, I barely know anything about boats, much less stock cars, haha... :wink:

The Hedgehog
11-19-2008, 12:13 PM
They won't hurt but I don't think that you need them unless you are running big power and high seat pressures.

MOP
11-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Read an article years back about the oilers, it went on to say the it has to do more with the frequency of compression per minute. The quicker and more frequently you flex any material the hotter it gets. We run our engines longer at higher RPM's then most, tells me they are a good item for some to consider.

Phil

VetteLT193
11-19-2008, 01:22 PM
do you have a link for the add on set? I'm curious how they add on, I've only seen them attached to the covers.

I also thought the primary reason for them was the fulcrum of the rocker, MOP's info is pretty interesting, I never thought about that... I've simply knocked them off in the past when going to full roller rockers... never had any trouble but that was also in a car.

cutwater
11-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Here's the image. Looks like they fit under whatever valve covers you are using.

VetteLT193
11-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Here's the image. Looks like they fit under whatever valve covers you are using.

now I see... wow, looks pretty awesome and sure puts drip tabs to shame.

wagspe208
11-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Read an article years back about the oilers, it went on to say the it has to do more with the frequency of compression per minute. The quicker and more frequently you flex any material the hotter it gets. We run our engines longer at higher RPM's then most, tells me they are a good item for some to consider.

Phil
I agree..ceretainly higher lift=more heat also. 8000 rpm with a .500 lift cam=x degrees. 8000rpm with a .800 lift cam = x+tons of degrees.
5000, or 6000 rpm is not high rpm's (relatively speaking). Remember metal and spring technology has progressed by light years.
If you run all day at 5g, you will most likely not see any benefit to spring life. If you run all day at 7g with a .750 lift cam..you'd be crazy not to have them
Wags