PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Safety....

Air 22
11-18-2008, 06:06 PM
....and ya wonder why we have accidents...u think these passengers expected this...:shocking::shocking:...

http://www.youtube.com/user/cardinaldetecto

MOP
11-18-2008, 07:06 PM
That stuff happens because any Ahole that can buy and turn a key can own a boat that is beyond his MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chappy
11-18-2008, 07:13 PM
That decision making combined with that boat is life threatening.

fogducker III
11-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Sorry, did I miss something in the vid?

The guy came over the wake, I "assume" with the knowledge of the boat filming, otherwise he would not have been filming, right?

Not sure what he did wrong...?
Perhaps I will watch again...........

Air 22
11-18-2008, 08:42 PM
Sorry, did I miss something in the vid?

The guy came over the wake, I "assume" with the knowledge of the boat filming, otherwise he would not have been filming, right?

Not sure what he did wrong...?
Perhaps I will watch again...........

Fog...Its only an opinion..I'd never take passengers in my boat that fast that close to another boat in the "Air"....and you should never "Assume"..u know what that means right?...:wink: Sometimes people do some pretty scary things when a camera is involved...:wink:
No offense or insult implied....:)

BUIZILLA
11-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Sometimes people do some pretty scary things when a camera is involved...:wink: like moon the cameraman... :kingme:

ky-donzi
11-18-2008, 08:58 PM
It's not the speed thing that bothers me. If I have a passenger in my boat they know that we are going to go fast,,heck if they wanta go slow they will get on my uncles pontoon,,,,, but that is way way to close to that "filming" boat IMHO..

Conquistador_del_mar
11-18-2008, 11:45 PM
....and ya wonder why we have accidents...u think these passengers expected this...:shocking::shocking:...

http://www.youtube.com/user/cardinaldetecto

That is the Cigarette 28SS that I sold to the guy driving in the video. When I sold it to him, it was red with a new transom. I decided not to restore it was the reason I sold it in about 1994. He came by about a year later with that restoration to show it to me. In the last year or two it has been on the Dallas Craigslist and on ebay where it did not meet his reserve. He did a great job on the restoration, but the color scheme was a little wild = :nilly: I think that video shot was set up by him and the person shooting the video - still a little close for comfort I think. Bill

mattyboy
11-19-2008, 06:43 AM
that's a 28 it looks much larger ????

smbarcelow
11-19-2008, 07:41 AM
I didn't see enough evidence of poor judgment in that video to convince me. It's just as inappropriate to assume that the driver lacks skill as it is to assume that he has it.

Just Say N20
11-19-2008, 07:52 AM
I'm thinking maybe Bill typo'd the 28. That looks like a 38.

chappy
11-19-2008, 08:34 AM
I didn't see enough evidence of poor judgment in that video to convince me. It's just as inappropriate to assume that the driver lacks skill as it is to assume that he has it.

It's highly illegal what transpired in the video. It was very dangerous to all people on both vessels, the flying boat and the filming boat. People have been thrown from boats during similar stunts, as well as landed on by the flying one. Incidents like this make it more and more difficult to own and operate one of these boats in a responsible manner, because when a mishap occurs, we're all penalized through more scrutiny, and tighter legislation for these types of vessels. Air22 was polite enough to say it's a matter of opinion, but that opinion is re-inforced by law. This is a no brainer. Maybe I'm a little more sensitive to this than others, because I witnessed a 21' Scarab end up in the lap of a kid in the rear of a Sea Ray cuddy, the kid survived, just lost a leg, sad.

harbormaster
11-19-2008, 08:56 AM
I think some of you are overreacting. The thrill of going fast and getting some air is why I personally own my Donzi. If I did not I would be just as happy with a bayliner/Carver/etc cruiser.

At most events where there is a helicopter shot, Most people hang it all out for that spectacular shot for the wall of their office. They also have passengers on board as well.

If this was a spur of the moment thing, I would think differently, BUT as stated by someone else, this was a set up shot. Just my 2 cents.

mattyboy
11-19-2008, 09:25 AM
i have seen this video on another boating site and I do think it was a staged shot, it looks to be a tight area like a river so over taking a vessel could be tight with out leaving the channel or directional lane that seem to form on river or tight channel boating yet no one has qouted the rule of the road that the capt is responsible for his wake and any damage it causes it looks in the video that the video boat is making an intentional big wake most likely for the shot but the point i am making i have seen little lord fontleroys in their 50 foot vikings cruise up a river nose high and not give a damn about the 8 foot set of rollers they throw out :eek: a mile and hour or two faster or slower and it is not a problem the wake is more managable to encounter but they are not the problem it is them damn jet skiers and those egotistical high performance guys that are the scourge of the boating industry :confused:, think for a moment if it was not a staged shot any normal person would have put down the camera and waved off the approaching vessel, was this the best place for a staged shot probably not looks like a busy water way

zelatore
11-19-2008, 09:59 AM
If I did not I would be just as happy with a bayliner/Carver/etc cruiser.

As a Carver dealer, let me just thank you for capitalizing Carver and leaving bayliner in lower case. :wink:

i have seen little lord fontleroys in their 50 foot vikings cruise up a river nose high and not give a damn about the 8 foot set of rollers they throw out :eek: a mile and hour or two faster or slower and it is not a problem the wake is more managable

This is always a problem. When I train our clients on their new boats, I always make a point of running the boat up very slowly and having them look over their shoulder at the wake. I try to show them how it starts off very small, then gets huge, then flattens out as the stern lifts more. I'll give them a comment or two about how the big wake can be a problem for others, but I figure I get the best response when I tell them it's the least efficient speed to cruise. A little slower, to settle the boat in the water, or a little faster, to get on plane. But the sad fact is most of them forget anything they've been told about 2 hours after they leave the marina.

I should also add that on occasion when I was the only large boat in the area I've had a PWC or two chase me for miles jumping back and forth over my wake. I've even been known to vary my speed to get them the best wake possible. I've never had any of them get uncomfortably close, and it's enteraining for both of us.

Air 22
11-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Good points Matty....:wink: Not mention he over took that vessel on the wrong side...in a narrow channel:eek:...(maybe there wasn't room on the right...:confused:)....:eek:....and if its "ok" to operate a vessel in those conditions @ those speeds....I wonder if he would of done that in front of the USCG or Marine Patrol?...doubtfull cuz they would have stopped'em guaranteed!:wink:

smbarcelow
11-19-2008, 10:21 AM
...Not mention he over took that vessel on the wrong side...
????

mattyboy
11-19-2008, 10:43 AM
the rules of the road say you should stay to the outer side as safe as possible within the channel and keep the appropriate channel marker on your starboard side when in a tight channel so if i were return from sea ( RRR) heading up river the red marker would be on my starboard side people coming down river should have the green marker on their starboard side and me somewhere on their port side hence the directional traffic lane i referered to

so in reality overtaking to port in a tight channel is the last option( as it takes you into oncoming traffic) if there is room to starboard within the channel you should go that way .

either way the yippee from the girls in the back is not in accordance with rule 34 and both boats failed on that
you know the one to port two to starboard thingy from the overtaking vessel and the answer from the overtaken vessel

Air 22
11-19-2008, 10:44 AM
????

My bad...:bonk: either side is ok...:wink:

Section 6. Waterway Traffic. (1) The operator of a vessel:

(a) Passing another vessel shall keep to the right.

(b) Overtaking another vessel:

1. May do so on either side; and

2. Shall yield the right-of-way to the vessel being overtaken.

(c) Shall yield the right-of-way to a vessel crossing from the right.

(d) Approaching a dock or pier shall yield the right-of-way to a vessel departing the dock or pier.

(e) Departing a shoreline shall yield the right-of way to a vessel approaching the shoreline.

(f) Shall not change course without first determining that the course change can be made without risk of collision.

(g) If not sure of the course or direction an approaching vessel will take, shall immediately slow to idle speed until the other vessel has passed.

(h) With the right-of-way shall maintain course and speed.

(i) Which is required to yield the right-of-way shall, as necessary:

1. Slacken speed;

2. Stop;

3. Reverse; or

4. Alter course.