PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Red 22C on Single Axel Trailer?

Air 22
11-18-2008, 05:25 PM
anyone ever see a 22C on a single axle trailer?:nilly: Maybe this one is just for the pic's no mention of trailer....looks different for sure...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-Donzi-22-Classic-Boat-Red-Pier-57_W0QQitemZ110311159738QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPower_M otorboats?hash=item110311159738&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A727%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

smokediver
11-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Tidbart .. Bob , has a 22 on a single axle .. Nice trailer .. I think Buiz hooked him up with the guy that built it .... That trailer looks like the one that came with my 18 !

BigGrizzly
11-18-2008, 06:05 PM
If the tires are 16 with a 3000 lbs load it is ok. I prefer tandem axel just in casr a tire blows. However the single weare tires more evenly. A tandem alwaays wears the rears first. Bob doesn't have any problems with his

Air 22
11-18-2008, 06:13 PM
If the tires are 16 with a 3000 lbs load it is ok. I prefer tandem axel just in casr a tire blows. However the single weare tires more evenly. A tandem alwaays wears the rears first. Bob doesn't have any problems with his

I guess it depends how far ya tow ....seems nutz IMO...but my tows can be 800+ miles...guess it be ok for local haul's....loosing a tire @ 70mph on I-95 and have it seperate to the wheel with only one axle....ouch!:eek:

MOP
11-18-2008, 06:30 PM
My 22 came on a single axle galvanized trailer, had some real heavy ply tires. I towed it down from NH at some decent speeds it did just fine but had a very heavy feel to it, it now sits on dual axle aluminum that feels like nothing is behind you. The difference between towing steel compared aluminum is amazing.

Phil

BUIZILLA
11-18-2008, 06:44 PM
I guess it depends how far ya tow ....seems nutz IMO...but my tows can be 800+ miles...guess it be ok for local haul's....loosing a tire @ 70mph on I-95 and have it seperate to the wheel with only one axel....ouch!:eek: what so nutz about it?? do you have dual axles on the front or rear of the Pimp wagon?? I think not... I had a Firestone tire explode on the left front of my F350 towing a 12,000# trailer in SC on I-95, while next to a loaded Shell tanker truck... now, that's a problem..... a flat on a single axle trailer tire is a non issue after going through that...

gbsjr
11-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Unless you blew the left steer on the Shell truck.

Double not the fun.

RickSE
11-18-2008, 08:54 PM
That's an 18C trailer. Look at where the bunks stop in reference to the hull.

Air 22
11-18-2008, 08:55 PM
what so nutz about it?? do you have dual axles on the front or rear of the Pimp wagon?? I think not... I had a Firestone tire explode on the left front of my F350 towing a 12,000# trailer in SC on I-95, while next to a loaded Shell tanker truck... now, that's a problem..... a flat on a single axle trailer tire is a non issue after going through that...

Jim...Im just say'n.......:nilly::nilly::wink::wink:

19donziz29
11-18-2008, 08:55 PM
That trailer also doesn't look right with the back of the boat hanging off the bunks! I'm guessing they are just using that trailer for pictures...

zelatore
11-18-2008, 09:40 PM
And one last give-away: look where the bow roller is in relation to the bow eye.

Cuda
11-19-2008, 05:33 AM
Who cares, its a red boat anyways...
True dat! Everyone knows red is the slowest color. :)

Pismo
11-19-2008, 06:02 AM
Not the correct trailer for that boat. Hanging off to far. Total support past the transom is better unless you are trying to hook the bottom or bump the boat off onto blocks. Single/tandem doesn't matter much as long as it can handle the weight, it's the fit that is all wrong.

mattyboy
11-19-2008, 06:12 AM
guys take a chill here that is not the boat's trailer, Carl C posted about this on .org he called the dealer and they said the boat had just arrived and it was on a temporary trailer the trailer had not arrived but they wanted to get pics up right away the boat comes with a tandem trailer

Mr X
11-19-2008, 07:39 AM
True dat! Everyone knows red is the slowest color. :)
And what would be the fastest color, oh wise one? :wink:

mattyboy
11-19-2008, 07:53 AM
umm blue:kingme:

Mr X
11-19-2008, 08:03 AM

Ding Ding Ding!! Winner Winner chicken dinner!! :yes:

Air 22
11-19-2008, 08:04 AM

Errrrrr...not so fast Kemo Sabi.....:kingme::popcorn:

Air 22
11-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Ding Ding Ding!! Winner Winner chicken dinner!! :yes:

Ya but???.....oh heck with it....:wink::)

mattyboy
11-19-2008, 08:31 AM
i will recant my post if there is proof of any other color than blue that has reached 120mph after that you go plaid anyway

has any yellow green or red boat been in the trippledigits neighborhood??

Cuda
11-19-2008, 08:59 AM
Matty is correct, as usual. :)

Tidbart
11-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Back on subject......

I towed the single-axle to Destin and back, about 1000 miles without any issues. Don't know how I did it.:wink::bonk:

To any of the single-axle naysayers out there....Ask yourself this..
If you owned a 16 footer and you were having a trailer built for it, would you put a tandem axle under it? Knowing you would have to spend the extra money for an additional axle, springs, brakes, tires, wheels, bearing buddies, etc??

IF your answer is, no way would I do that, then you should have no problem with a single under a 22 because there is no difference.

If your answer is, yes I would spend the extra dough, then please adopt me.:yes:

B

By the way, there is no difference between a trailer that will tow locally and one that will tow longer distances. The only difference is in how the owner may maintain it.

mattyboy
11-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Back on subject......

I towed the single-axle to Destin and back, about 1000 miles without any issues. Don't know how I did it.:wink::bonk:

To any of the single-axle naysayers out there....Ask yourself this..
If you owned a 16 footer and you were having a trailer built for it, would you put a tandem axle under it? Knowing you would have to spend the extra money for an additional axle, springs, brakes, tires, wheels, bearing buddies, etc??

IF your answer is, no way would I do that, then you should have no problem with a single under a 22 because there is no difference.

If your answer is, yes I would spend the extra dough, then please adopt me.:yes:

B

By the way, there is no difference between a trailer that will tow locally and one that will tow longer distances. The only difference is in how the owner may maintain it.

umm custom made tandem trailer for a 16 ??????

sorry Tid no room at the inn i can't afford anymore kids, :wink::kingme:

blue may be fast but red is damn sexy :yes:

Air 22
11-19-2008, 10:31 AM
umm custom made tandem trailer for a 16 ??????
sorry Tid no room at the inn i can't afford anymore kids, :wink::kingme:
blue may be fast but red is damn sexy :yes:
Thanks Matty:wink:
Isnt El Presidnete's New Pumpkin hauler a tandem for his 18?
If i had a 16 it would be under 2 axels..no question:wink:. There is a BIG diff between a 22C on 2 axles vs one when it comes to safety..IMO:) I guess that begg's the question...are more 22C's on tandem or single axel trailers?...my bet is tandem...... I've blown my share of tires haul'n up n down the East Coast...it isnt that fun:bonk:...Hav'n 2 axel's distributes the weight(load) more evenly....Im not a trailer engineer so ...I'm just say'n....:nilly::)

mattyboy
11-19-2008, 10:34 AM
yup same type trailer they are really something else the tow like they become a part of the vehicle and are built to last
performance trailer of lake george i think i have a shot of the pumpkin on it's carriage

Mr X
11-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Actually, I ran this one at 132 MPH.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53389
Plaid is nice sometimes

mattyboy
11-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Ted
what color is it i can't see the pic??

it is not Tom A's boat is it his is white and RED ;)

Mr X
11-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Black with red lettering

Tidbart
11-19-2008, 12:36 PM
What is safer: A tandem axle that gets flats or single axle that doesn't get flats?

If additional axles and tires equate to being safer, why not put a treble axle under a 22?

B

Can you tell I have little to do today??:bonk:

Air 22
11-19-2008, 01:26 PM
What is safer: A tandem axle that gets flats or single axle that doesn't get flats?
If additional axles and tires equate to being safer, why not put a treble axle under a 22?
B
Like I said...why do most if not all 22C's come w tandem axel trailers?
visit Continental Trailer's site...why is every trailer they make for a boat over 21 ft and 2300lbs a tandem axle? ask'em brotha:wink:...im just say'n:)
http://www.continentaltrailers.com/
BTW..they make one awsome trailer...:wink:

Tidbart
11-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Like I said...why do most if not all 22C's come w tandem axel trailers?
visit Continental Trailer's site...why is every trailer they make for a boat over 21 ft and 2300lbs a tandem axel? ask'em brotha:wink:...im just say'n:)
http://www.continentaltrailers.com/
BTW..they make one awsome trailer...:wink:

Still didn't answer my questions.....

Air 22
11-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Still didn't answer my questions.....
Bob....If u really need help on this please call Continental Trailers...great folks..and they'd be more than happy to ans ALL ur questions with all the time u have to kill....and hey look ...its even a free call...1-800-432-1731
Good luck...let us know what u find out...:wink:

Tidbart
11-19-2008, 03:25 PM
It appears you have just as much time.:wink::yes:

B

joseph m. hahnl
11-19-2008, 03:28 PM

B

Alls you need is two. I had a blow out with the Minx on I91 coming back from LG. took the wheel off drove home on three tires:crossfing:. Had a bearing go on the way to the Merrimack river . Took the wheel off drove home on three tires:crossfing:. It's all in the capacity. If it is rated for the weight it really doesn't matter until you need to change the Tire that is:wink:

It's Okay if you did,done,or doo . What ever your comfortable with

Air 22
11-19-2008, 03:32 PM
It appears you have just as much time.:wink::yes:
B
Yes Grasshopper...diff is I don't have a problem with it...:wink::yes:....:popcorn:

Tidbart
11-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Yes Grasshopper...diff is I know the answer...:wink::yes:....:popcorn:

Oh no. Your not getting off that easy. I was asking the questions that I already knew the answers to.:yes::kingme:

It's all in the capacity. If it is rated for the weight it really doesn't matter until you need to change the Tire that is:wink:
It's Okay if you did,done,or doo . What ever your comfortable with

See Joseph knows. As far as safety is concerned, no difference for me. The tandem may be slightly more convenient but not much. If you have a flat on a tandem, or a blown out bearing, you still have to jack the tire and remove it and tie up the axle. On the single, I jack up the tire, remove it, and replace it, same for the blown bearings. (I have a spare axle and tire):yes: Not much difference.

Bob

Tidbart
11-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Yes Grasshopper...diff is I don't have a problem with it...:wink::yes:....:popcorn:

Wait a minute, you change your reply, no fair.:kingme:

B

Air 22
11-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Oh no. Your not getting off that easy. I was asking the questions that I already knew the answers to.:yes::kingme:

See Joseph knows. As far as safety is concerned, no difference for me. The tandem may be slightly more convenient but not much. If you have a flat on a tandem, or a blown out bearing, you still have to jack the tire and remove it and tie up the axle. On the single, I jack up the tire, remove it, and replace it, same for the blown bearings. (I have a spare axle and tire):yes: Not much difference.

Bob

Good then u understand why we have tandem axle trailers.......fewwww....:nilly::yes:

Trueser
11-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Wow all of this on a Trailer that most likely was used just to take a picture.

I wouldn't use a single axle trailer on a 22.

Air 22
11-19-2008, 04:05 PM

Not many would..my point exactly....:wink:

Tidbart
11-19-2008, 04:23 PM

I do and its beautiful. Soooo many advantages over a tandem.:)

Tidbart
11-19-2008, 04:28 PM
See...........

BUIZILLA
11-19-2008, 04:36 PM
there are literally thousands of 20-23' inboard ski boats on single axle trailers....

been that way for over 40-50 years, at least....

I don't see a thing wrong with it.. :shades:

Tidbart
11-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Single vs. Tandem

Purchase new.
Tires 2 v. 4 - Toss up??? 2 LR E 16's vs 4 LR C 14's
Wheels 2 v. 4 - Adv Single
Axles 1 v. 2 - Adv Single
Brakes 2 v. 4 - Adv Single

Maintenance/Replace
Tires 2 v. 4 - Toss up??? 2 LR E 16's vs 4 LR C 14's
Bearings 2 v. 4 - Adv Single
Brake Pads 2 v. 4 - Adv Single

Maneuvering/Backing
Adv Single

Starting to see a pattern here?:kingme:
Time to think outside the box. :bonk: I know, I know, it's not easy to do.

Bob:)

Tidbart
11-19-2008, 04:45 PM
there are literally thousands of 20-23' inboard ski boats on single axle trailers....
been that way for over 40-50 years, at least....
I don't see a thing wrong with it.. :shades:

Thanks for showing up Jim. They were starting to gang up on me.:yes::bighug:

B

Ed Donnelly
11-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Tidbart; Now it all makes sense to me...

You have a blue Donzi..............

All us double axle guys have Red Donzis.:wink:...............Ed

Tidbart
11-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Doh! :kingme::wink:

onesubdrvr
11-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Doh! :kingme::wink:
See, I agree with the single argument,....

but then you had to post a picture,...

rollers??? ROLLERS?? :wink::popcorn::)

Just kidding about the rollers of course ;)

Wayne

DonziJon
11-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Whats wrong with rollers? Makes it easier dosn't it?......:lookaroun:

1986 Minx with single axle trailer with NO Brakes. I'm doomed to DIE.:shocking: John

BUIZILLA
11-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks for showing up Jim. They were starting to gang up on me.:yes::bighug:
B got your back dude... excess does not always = success

Air 22
11-19-2008, 08:04 PM
So, Ski Nautique started making 20 to 23 footers when? 1958?

Yea and I guess they gained a lil weight too...Errrrrr A ski Nautique dry weight is that of a 22C..3400lbs..??:nilly: Ski Nautique says 2830 Dry? hmmm

Will someone please post a Donzi Dealer selling a 22C WITH a Single axle trailer?
Will someone post a Boat Trailer manufacturer that recommends a 22C ride on a single axle trailer?

I'm not saying it can't be done...Bob and other's r proof u can tow and tow it just fine...my point is.. in the case of tracking staight, tounge weight and overall distribution of weight 2 axle handle that better than one. As far as cost of bearings and tires etc...you cant put a price on safety..not an issue if u understand that going into it...part of being prepared!

p729lws
11-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Saw Bob's rig and luv it:yes: Someone find me a way to go single axel on the Pantera...
Dan

Tidbart
11-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Don't make me correct you again... :pimp:

I know, I know. It's axle not axel.:biggrin.: Axel was with Guns n Roses.:biggrin.:

Anon.

BUIZILLA
11-19-2008, 08:22 PM
the peep's out west pioneered the single axle ski boat stuff...

it's a big world west of the Mississippi.. :wink:

and woody's came before Nautique's...

Tidbart
11-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Yea and I guess they gained a lil weight too...Errrrrr A ski Nautique dry weight is that of a 22C..3400lbs..??:nilly: Ski Nautique says 2830 Dry? hmmm

Will someone please post a Donzi Dealer selling a 22C WITH a Single axel trailer?
Will someone post a Boat Trailer manufacturer that recommends a 22C ride on a single axel trailer?

I'm not saying it can't be done...Bob and other's r proof u can tow and tow it just fine...my point is.. in the case of tracking staight, tounge weight and overall distribution of weight 2 axels handle that better than one. As far as cost of bearings and tires etc...you cant put a price on safety..not an issue if u understand that going into it...part of being prepared!

Super Air Nautique 220 - DW=4070

Dealers will sell the easiest-to-come-by trailer. Higher price, higher profit. Mine is custom, not off the shelf. Tandems are prevalent.

Tracking, arrow strait Just have to make sure the axle is 90 deg to centerline, easy to do.
Tongue weight, mine 411 lbs. Perfect. Just have to make sure the axle is correct distance front to rear for the particular boat.
Weight distribution, once the tongue weight is set, the rest does itself.
Safety, not really an issue as you stated.....part of being prepared.

I think I have stated my case. The defense rests.:kingme: LOL

Bob

Air 22
11-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Bob....I respect ur wanting a single axle trailer on ur 22C...no hard feelin"s man...:wink::)...

Tidbart
11-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Bob....I respect ur wanting a single axle trailer on ur 22C...no hard feelin"s man...:wink::)...

Dwight,

None taken, dude. Good clean debate. Knowledge is good.:)

B

PS. You have to admit that I presented a pretty good argument....

Air 22
11-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Dwight,

None taken, dude. Good clean debate. Knowledge is good.:)

B

PS. You have to admit that I presented a pretty good argument....

Yep...and I sometimes hate backing mine around corner's too...but it is what it is..:wink:
We all have r comfort level's etc...I guess I could always take 2 wheels off and have 4 spares...lol...:kingme: JK...btw ur trailer looks sharp! That was never in question...:cool:

Tidbart
11-19-2008, 08:48 PM
It took a lot of thought, conversation, and design to come up with a design I was happy with. Also, a big consideration was the budget. I took the saving from the extra wheel, axles and brakes and put it into upgrades of the lights, winch, brakes, and jack, oh yah, did I mention the custom removable step for fueling.:yes::wink::wink:

And the rest of the money I kept just in case I blew up the motor.:bonk::boggled: Unfortunately, it came in handy.:mad: LOL

B

Carl C
11-19-2008, 08:57 PM
guys take a chill here that is not the boat's trailer, Carl C posted about this on .org he called the dealer and they said the boat had just arrived and it was on a temporary trailer the trailer had not arrived but they wanted to get pics up right away the boat comes with a tandem trailer Yupper:yes:

Tidbart
11-19-2008, 09:08 PM
No need to chill. Lots of good info here. We know the picture has an 18s trailer under the 22. Dealer just put it there to move it around.

This is actually a friendly debate. Sometimes it is hard to read into the writings. Eloquent prose was never my strong point.:wink:

B

Air 22
11-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Anyone ever see a single axle dually boat trailer..if one even exists? Or maybe it be to wide? Just a thought..:)

mattyboy
11-19-2008, 09:38 PM
actually i saw the OL XXX at the NYC boat show it had a tri dually trailer and an international quad sleeper as a tow vehicle

Air 22
11-19-2008, 09:53 PM
actually i saw the OL XXX at the NYC boat show it had a tri dually trailer and an international quad sleeper as a tow vehicle

Yes..Ive seen that too...but wadda bout a small boat trailer dually..low profile tires etc...a single axle dually..hmmmm. ...might look kool too!

roadtrip se
11-19-2008, 10:26 PM
The sixteen I had on a single was a complete pain to manuever down a ramp.
And it was all over the road on trips.

Tandem under the 22 is much easier, as it doesn't turn as dramatically.
It also tows more predictably on long trips.

I put a tandem under the Formula for the same reason, manuverability,
when the dealer recommended a triple. It is rated for 12K.

I guess the same arguement could be used for a 22 on a single. Build it
up and it will be fine and suit the owner's preference. Wouldn't be my preference
and it isn't for most folks.

To each their own.

Barry Eller
11-20-2008, 07:43 AM
I do and its beautiful. Soooo many advantages over a tandem.:)
I found one advantage of a single axle trailer at the Rally in Destin...Bob and I got blocked in at the parking lot. He was able to push his trailer sideways easily. Bob and I together couldn't push my tandem more than a foot. We had to tie a line to the tongue and pull it sideways with my truck to move it enough to hitch up.

Thanks again Bob for your help!:angel:

CHACHI
11-20-2008, 09:09 AM
The sixteen I had on a single was a complete pain to manuever down a ramp.

Too short of a tounge. Probably just like trying to back up a small utility trailer or a 2 place snowmobile trailer.

Trailer axle is too close to the rear wheels of the tow vehicle. Normal steering inputs result is severe trailer reactions, which you then try to fix by countersteering which causes the whole thing to get worse until you stop, pull forward to straighten things out and then start all over again.

But you finally get the trailer where you want it.

Ken

mattyboy
11-20-2008, 09:24 AM
i think the key here is the load factor and how hard the trailer works the tandem i had was overkill for the 16 it was long like 23 feet each tire's load rating could almost handle the weight of the boat by itself so the trailer and the tires really never worked hard what's the old saying many hands make light work i credit my trailer with being able to tow as much as i did with a minivan granted i don't have dr dan miles or air 22 type miles but i towed around 1000 miles a season for 6 straight seasons with original tires and bearings checked everyseason the mech was amazed

so i guess my point is when you get to a heavier rig like a 22 loaded up what type tires and springs/axels do you need to hold the load and a heavy duty setup for a single isn't it gonna be harder on the boat ride wise???

one thing to note was my tandem was built before the law said tandems needed brakes so i had no backup issues

the only issue i had in the 7 years i owned the trailer was the chips in the paint on the underside of the front of the trailer and i later found out from Dr dan and Bill from performance that it is a common problem fixed by towing brooms on the tow rig

mattyboy
11-21-2008, 07:56 AM
when you're up at lake george the parking lots have a performance tandem only section ;)

well do i have to say who's the orange one is :tongue:

the yellow one is bob haver's and the silever is don n's

and the last is the pumpkin on it's carriage

zelatore
11-21-2008, 12:36 PM
FWIW, I recall seeing a pair of jetskis on a custom tandom trailer a few years ago at a yacht club. All I could think was 'what an idiot...' The wheels took up 3/4 of the over-all trailer length.

:bonk::bonk::bonk:

BigGrizzly
11-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Just remember that 16 wheels turn slower then 14 so heat build up is a lot lower. Another pluss for bearings and tire life. Good discussion.

Madcow
11-22-2008, 10:29 AM

If you are wearing rears first you need to lower your tonge so the trailer is level.
As to everyones coments that a dual is safer on a long trip, the tires and bearings are fully heated up in less than 10 miles. I built a new trailer for my 18 with a single 6 lug axle. If I were to build a trailer for a 22 I would go with a single 8 lug. I built a custom traler for a 30 Scarab a few years back and went with 2 8 lug axels and it worked a LOT better than the triple trailer it replaced.
In the end I am still waiting for someone to come up with a valid reason why you need a tandem for a 22.

BigGrizzly
11-23-2008, 10:10 AM
You really think I did not think of that When you do as much backing and tight radius turning and only the out side tread wear that that is a normal function. With the twin axels and the tight radius I am forced to do you can actually see the tires flex. Since I have four wheel disks my bearings are set up tight compared to drums and brake less hubs. Mine are set up judt as you w3ould set up a front disk break auto. BTW I have actually done the 4 wheel scale deal and found they are fine. Plus I have out a level on the trailer when hooked up and it is level on a flat road. I normally travel from 3,000 to 5,000 miles toeing a year.

Air 22
11-23-2008, 04:49 PM
"In the end I am still waiting for someone to come up with a valid reason why you need a tandem for a 22".....

You don't....Its the "Cool factor":cool:.....LOL...or because they usually just come that way and how many people say...."naaa I wanna single axle trailer with my 22C??" :nilly: a few may say that as evidence on this thread...and thats fine:wink:... but a tendem is more common w/ a 22C in tow.:yes:

BigGrizzly
11-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Friday, I was talking to a guy, Clay Yeatman, Who worked for BF Goodrich before he came to Honda. I have been talking to him quite about trailer set up and tires. He contends that it is all about load ratings. He told mw that the only advantage is in crisis situations when a tire gets a flat or blows the tandem has a safety margin with the other tire being there, you can actually travel a short distance without changing the tire, ie. next exit. The disadvantage is the tandem hydroplanes sooner then singles. He does state that he would have brakes on all axles regardless of the laws. He also poked holes in the car Vs trailer tire thing. It is all about heat build up and load range of the tire. I am looking for 14 inch X 205 tires with over 2,000 lbs of load range, and think I found them. Or buy 5 15 inch tires and rims then lift the fenders. Do to finances it looks like 14 inch tires and keep the spare as is.

Madcow
11-24-2008, 08:54 AM
He also poked holes in the car Vs trailer tire thing. It is all about heat build up and load range of the tire.

I am no expert by any means, but always assumed the difference between "car" and "trailer" tires was the shape od the tread. Less traction need since there is no acceleration, wider lugs to help disipate heat, stiffer side walls to handle greater lateral loads.

BUIZILLA
11-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Grizz, BFG now makes a Commercial T/A series tire, I have seen them on a LOT of the offshore poker run trailers... now, i'm talking $400k-800K rigs here, so these tires can't be too bad of a choice... in fact, we got quotes for them for TittyBart's trailer...

Tidbart
11-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Grizz, BFG now makes a Commercial T/A series tire, I have seen them on a LOT of the offshore poker run trailers... now, i'm talking $400k-800K rigs here, so these tires can't be too bad of a choice... in fact, we got quotes for them for TittyBart's trailer...

Not just quotes....they are on there.:yes:
LT245/75R16/E 3042# @ 80 psi, if I remember correctly.

Bob

Air 22
11-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Load normalized cornering stiffness is all that counts as the key force & moment property of a trailer tire. "sway" is axle sideslip and corresponds to a Bundorf cornering compliance, just like in a car or truck. The reciprocal of the tire's normailzed cornering stiffness is the trailer's sideslip gain in deg/g. High sideslip gain is bad; If its higher than the tow vehicle's rear cornering compliance, it looks really cool on a motorway exit: the trailer is hanging out beyond the puller.

DATA=measurements show these stiffnesses range from .140 to .230 at 1225 kg in the 380mm SLR constraint set. ST235/80R16s are .150 to .165 at 5.8 bar and 3.8 bar pressures (ie they will have higher sway). Yet a P275/60R20 at 2.4bar can be .230. LT285/70R17(Nissan Truck) =.180. In all cases, normalized cornering stiffness drops with increasing pressure. Yes the LTs are usually run at 5.85 bar. Car haulers are dual axle so there's plenty of tire stiffness. Go with the LT's...

BTW: You may be more familiar with the term "cornering coefficient". This is often used in discussions of tire properties related to understeer, yada, yada, yada. Cornering coefficient is FY at 1 degree slip at some load, normalized by that load. It is NOT the derivative of the FY function. Sometimes they are close, sometimes, no cigar. The weaker the tire in cornering, the poorer the correlation. Trailer/truck tires are generally weak for cornering because they have a lot of air in them to hold up the load. Air pressure drops normalized cornering coefficient/cornerng stiffness in the sizes offered in the marketplace and at their recommended pressures. This has been established as common fact in product liability Courtrooms all around the world.
...I'm just say'n...:)

BigGrizzly
11-24-2008, 10:42 AM
I am told that trailer tires are not as scrutinized by the feds as much as auto tires. The point is that it is all about load range and speed ratings. To my knowledge there is not a trailer tire with a S or higher. In fact I haven't seen one above 65 mph. In Georgia and Pensylvania they can ticket you for too high a speed with a trailer regardless of the posted speed limit. However they choose not to do it, mostly because they forget.

BigGrizzly
11-24-2008, 05:29 PM
just so my statement isn't confusing about the trailer vs car tires. What Clay said is either will work with the proper load ratings He also feels the auto tires would probably last longer.