PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS Inland Waters Charts?

fogducker III
11-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Can somebody tell me where I can get an inexpensive Garmin MicroSD Inland Waters Map chip/card from that covers Cumberland Lake? :boat:

I went to the Garmin site and with taxes, exchange rate, shipping etc it would cost me about $150....:eek:

gcarter
11-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Establish a search on eBay....sometimes, if you're persistant, you can snag a deal.

fogducker III
11-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Establish a search on eBay....sometimes, if you're persistant, you can snag a deal.

Search has been logged for almost a week, thanks for the idea though..........:wink:

I just have a hard time paying $150 for something I will use maybe once at AOTH.............I know it will be useful when there but really not sure when I would use it again.:confused:

Ghost
11-18-2008, 01:07 AM
I have no idea what the law is about this and I haven't thought about the morality at all, but now I wonder if a chip rental/exchange is legal...

Lenny
11-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Search has been logged for almost a week, thanks for the idea though..........:wink:

I just have a hard time paying $150 for something I will use maybe once at AOTH.............I know it will be useful when there but really not sure when I would use it again.:confused:

Jeremy, the deal is you just have to be fast enough to stay "close" to the "smart boat". Not the "LEAD" boat. (as has been seen time and time again) They do not neccesarily know where they are going either.

That Lake has got to be the hardest thing to navigate in that I have ever been in. Stick close to Todd and Jill or a few others. You will get to Lees Ford in one piece. :yes:

Best part is, the Marina now serves booze. Bourbon, you name it. It was dry forever. Last year was a pleasant surprise. :D Save your $150. It is like trying to drive through the veins of your entire body and not get lost.

http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/op/wol/rec/maps/WOL_PUG.pdf

We stay at #12 and drive to #16 for lunch on the Saturday. That is a feat in itself.

fogducker III
11-18-2008, 09:02 AM
When I looked at a map of the lake I realized real quick it would be an interesting trip to say the least.........:eek:

IF, I can find a map card at the right price I think it would be nice to have, just in case I get lost, not being able to keep up to the boats that actually know where they are going.............:boat:

Trueser
11-18-2008, 09:46 AM
I agree the GPS is not needed.

boxy
11-18-2008, 10:23 AM
I have no idea what the law is about this and I haven't thought about the morality at all, but now I wonder if a chip rental/exchange is legal...

Ghost, I have thought about doing something like that for the 1000 Islands Poker Run.
Pre-run the route, then load the route onto the GPS of participants who wanted it. My biggest concern was liability.

zelatore
11-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Out here in the west we know something about confusing lakes too...

http://web.petabox.bibalex.org/web/2005083103071http://www.elakepowell.com/freds/bays.htm

(Turn at the brown rock. No, the other brown rock. No, not that one, the OTHER brown rock!)

last year I bought an inlands lakes chart to take with me specifically for this lake, although I figured I could use it other places as well. Then of course my entire GPS died within hours of launching. Go figure.

roadtrip se
11-18-2008, 11:59 AM
at AOTH.

The hot dogs shot gun the start, the adrenaline kicks in together with a dose of testosterone, and soon enough we are navigating for Washington DC 100 miles down the lake and into the river.

Then someone runs out of gas or blows a drive, that would be me and several others, in the process.

Of course, then there is the opposite extreme with the "Driving Miss Daisy" and I'm making great fuel mileage contingent. It's a performance boat, not a Bayliner people!

Jeremey, either way, we always have sweep boats, so save the money on the chip for a prop or a good life vest...

BUIZILLA
11-18-2008, 03:14 PM
as appointed Captain of the SS Tankini, it won't bother me one bit if you guys run off and hide... I got's the good's... :yes: