PDA

View Full Version : whipple then and now

zelatore
11-17-2008, 04:27 PM
I stumbled across a fair buy on an earlier side-mount whipple for my 502.

Now, I'd really like to have the nifty top-mounted unit if for no other reason than access to the side is tight enough as-is, but is there any real difference between the earlier 'sidewinder' version and the newer top-mount?

(what am I talking about???...I can't get off my duff to install the stuff I've got already:bonk:)

BigGrizzly
11-17-2008, 06:38 PM
The top mount is suppose to flow better, but we have not made any comparisons in the real world. My 2 cents is the top mpu nt is cleaner and the way to go if going that route.

Cuda
11-18-2008, 05:11 AM
Send an IM to Catch 22, he'll know about whipples. He doesn't like to type, he'd rather talk on the phone. Gina hates to do all the typing for him. :)

VetteLT193
11-18-2008, 07:21 AM
Every side mount version I have seen looks smaller than the top mount but I haven't seen two side by side. An educated guess is they did side mount for space constraints (i.e. it's shorter overall) and they put a smaller unit on as well so you'll be looking at lower boost numbers.

I like procharger better for longevity of the engine, especially in a Donzi classic but that depends on the deal you can find :wink:

LKSD
11-18-2008, 08:12 AM
I would prefer the top mount. It is a better way to go for the already mentioned reasons. I also dont like that it hangs off of the intake that was only really designed to have a throttle body hang there... J

BUIZILLA
11-18-2008, 08:50 AM
I can't be positive, but I *think* the side mount was a carryover from the MPI truck application... don't quote me on that...

VetteLT193
11-18-2008, 09:10 AM
I can't be positive, but I *think* the side mount was a carryover from the MPI truck application... don't quote me on that...

I bet you are right, it's totally logical...

and I think they stopped making that kit because things were going boom from fueling issues?

zelatore
11-18-2008, 09:35 AM
and I think they stopped making that kit because things were going boom from fueling issues?

ooohh...that's nice!

BUIZILLA
11-18-2008, 10:09 AM
and I think they stopped making that kit because things were going boom from fueling issues? I have not heard that, but it beg's a direct question to the Whipple group for an answer.

VetteLT193
11-18-2008, 10:33 AM
I have not heard that, but it beg's a direct question to the Whipple group for an answer.

Whipple will probably answer pretty up front and honest considering they don't make it anymore and procharger would have the same issue... Unless the procharger kit swaps out all the injectors instead of the piggy-back system through the intake.

If it's the problem I'm thinking of the intake design screwed the fuel delivery up. some cylinders ran rich, some lean.

zelatore
11-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Well, ideally I'd cruise down to Whipple HQ and pick up a complete kit.

But I aint' got that kinda scatch.

So I watch the boards and lurk....:shark:

Planetwarmer
11-18-2008, 02:34 PM

You sir have been quoted! Sorry:outtahere: