PDA

View Full Version : New Donzi 18 - Platform Ideas

Classic Doddy
11-15-2008, 03:11 PM
I just got an 18 classic with a 6.2 MPI and a Bravo One (1.65:1). My question is of an easier way to get in that thing, in the middle of the lake. Has anyone had any luck finding a "good-looking" custom swim platform for a classic 18? I'm thinking that I may get two small swim platforms on either side of the lower unit and just above the water at rest, trying not to interfere with the tabs. There are a few sites, out there, that discuss and show some really great billet platforms, but none very good for a classic. I can just see some concerns with clearance with the mufflers/exhaust.

What do you all think, as veteran owners of the classic?

Thanks for all of the help and I'll make sure to start threads and not interrupt already going ones, new on these boards as well.

Michael

Dr. Dan
11-15-2008, 03:29 PM
:wink:Well as Classic puritsts you're not going to get alot of support for anything other than small Transom Mounted turn down steps that may be mounted...most folks tilt the Drive and Climb up minding the sharp edges of the Prop and lift themselves up using the Ski Tow Ring to steady their way up off the drive. After some practice and adjustment of drive heights its really a pretty easy deal...

The best ladders I have seen had permanent mounts on the top deck side near the engine hatch... gotta store the ladder which is another story. Rope Ladders do nothing...and are worthless. Has to be fixed and deep enough for a normal human to utilize.

Personally I prefer the King Cobra Drive and its monster Cavitation Plate which is about the size of the Rings of Saturn.

Good Luck - Check Out Overtons, West Marine, Boat USA etc. for options.

Doc of Random Boarding Methods :shades:

Air 22
11-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Here is something that may work....:cool:
http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=4406

zelatore
11-15-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm not a big fan of platforms on the classics, but if I had to do it I'd probably look at something like what Air22 mentioned above.

Now, I think you can get away with a platform, or maybe a bimini, but if you put on both the board police will come and take your boat away....:wink:

Donzi Vol
11-15-2008, 04:32 PM
As Dan and Zel mentioned, you're not going to get a heck of a lot of support here for a platform or really much else that is going to alter the original look of a classic. Climbing up via the outdrive really isn't all that hard (no missing toes just yet!). However, if I were going to suggest anything, I would suggest a little ladder that I've seen on one Donzi so far. It mounts flush to the back corner of the transom, folds up to an almost un-noticeable size, and is just wide enough for one foot at a time. Calling RedDog, calling RedDog!

Welcome to the board!

Madcow
11-15-2008, 05:11 PM
What I would love to see is a small step that ataches to the drive like a steering wing plate.

Titan
11-15-2008, 05:33 PM
I will take some pictures of the ladder I have and post them later. All it consists of is a small stainless bracket that stays bolted to tansom and a center post ladder that slides into the bracket when needed. It angles back to avoid the trim tab. Not sure who sells them as it was on my boat when I purchased it. I will see if there is a name on it somewhere. Best thing it stores out of sight to keep that classic look.

zelatore
11-15-2008, 06:09 PM
I will take some pictures of the ladder I have and post them later. All it consists of is a small stainless bracket that stays bolted to tansom and a center post ladder that slides into the bracket when needed. It angles back to avoid the trim tab. Not sure who sells them as it was on my boat when I purchased it. I will see if there is a name on it somewhere. Best thing it stores out of sight to keep that classic look.

Sounds like one of Armstrong's dive ladders?
http://www.tackletogo.com/ar3stdila40.html

mattyboy
11-16-2008, 08:04 AM
well have have seen some swim platforms on various classics(16,18,and 22 not the bigger classics) and all but one was butt ugly if you choose this route it takes money and time to get it right, this one was a labor of love and custom made for this 18 LE this is the only one that i have seen that looks good on the boat

Classic Doddy
11-16-2008, 08:23 AM
well have have seen some swim platforms on various classics(16,18,and 22 not the bigger classics) and all but one was butt ugly if you choose this route it takes money and time to get it right, this one was a labor of love and custom made for this 18 LE this is the only one that i have seen that looks good on the boat

Thanks, I now know that it is possible.

Titan
11-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Heres some pictures of the ladder I was talking about. I can't clip it right into place on the trailer because I haven't trimmed the bunks off yet but you get the idea. The brand name is "Windline".

RedDog
11-16-2008, 06:51 PM
.... However, if I were going to suggest anything, I would suggest a little ladder that I've seen on one Donzi so far. It mounts flush to the back corner of the transom, folds up to an almost un-noticeable size, and is just wide enough for one foot at a time. Calling RedDog, calling RedDog!

Yep - I mounted the little skinny ladder on my 22. I bought it at an AOTH auction. I think it is a Windline?

I could be convinced to sell it to you because I can't get in the damn boat using it - I may remove it and fill the screw holes next season.

I climb in using the Bravo drive as a ladder - only busted my nuts once doing that...

Donzi Vol
11-16-2008, 07:10 PM
I climb in using the Bravo drive as a ladder - only busted my nuts once doing that...

Haha! That just sounds awful

BigGrizzly
11-17-2008, 12:15 PM
The cheap way is non slip "stick on" the top of the drive it make a monumental difference I'm doing it.

VetteLT193
11-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Heres some pictures of the ladder I was talking about. I can't clip it right into place on the trailer because I haven't trimmed the bunks off yet but you get the idea. The brand name is "Windline".

These are really popular on big sportfishing boats too.

osur866
11-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Heres some pictures of the ladder I was talking about. I can't clip it right into place on the trailer because I haven't trimmed the bunks off yet but you get the idea. The brand name is "Windline". And that doesnt interfer with the trim tab? Steve

MOP
11-17-2008, 01:27 PM
I saw a fairly neat ladder adaption this past summer, most all of us have seen the 3 or 4 step tube ladders that the top hook fold so it will stow fairly easy. I asked the guy how he got it to look so decent, he said he used the foam rubber pipe insulation cut to fit the exposed tube areas, his wife got canvas that matched what was on his boat she then sewed the edges and sewed Velco strips on the edges and put it over the pipe insulation. I felt it it was quite soft and surely would not hurt the boat sides in use, he pulled and folded the ends in an it was still quite compact. He said for many years he came in over the transom with non skid on the cav plate and drive top but had taken a pretty bad fall and knocked himself out cold and fell back into the water. He said screw it no way would he ever go over the back anymore, the rear deck with wet feet was deadly as far as he was concerned and had damn near killed him. I recounted a similar story of me falling in the same manner but just getting bruised up going home and being sore for about 3-4 days. You bet I will be padding a ladder for my 22!

Phil

Classic Doddy
11-17-2008, 08:19 PM

That set-up looks about perfect. Where do you store the stairs?

Michael

smokediver
11-17-2008, 08:31 PM
If you are gonna put on a swim platform then you also have to have a bimini top,hull gaurd,windshield , and foamed in gas tank !!!:popcorn:

Titan
11-17-2008, 09:44 PM
That set-up looks about perfect. Where do you store the stairs?

I stand it up in the side of my under bow storage bin. I'm not sure if your bin is big enough in the 18. I think you could find some spring type clips that it could snap into down the side under the engine hatch or under the bow.

TBroccoli
11-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Someone on this site has a nice ladder for his 22 classic. I forget his name. he was from Texas and the boat had yellow sides. The ladder had nail head mounts that slid into two mounts he had on his deck just about at the back seat. If I find the pics he sent me I will post them. I love the idea but am afraid to drill into my deck to mount the brackets. I will have to do it soon. My kids are getting too big to lift into the boat all the time. I don't like going up the outdrive because you still have to get across the hatch. I feel as though I am damaging the hatch every time I go across it.

yeller
11-18-2008, 08:27 PM
CarlC did a minor mod to the standard 'hook' type ladder and it seems to work well. That's the route I'd go. No plates need to be mounted to the boat.

Carl, can you post another pic of your setup?