PDA

View Full Version : Growth under battery box

Hotboat
11-15-2008, 09:40 AM
I raised the hatch today to find I had a growth of somekind coming from under the battery box and then sprouting. It looked like cauliflower. I pulled it out and threw it away but when I removed the battery box, it was in the carpet as if it had been poured there. There was also white dust everywhere. Any ideas on what this monster is, how to clean it up, and how to stop it in the future? Thanks for any help!

BigGrizzly
11-15-2008, 09:46 AM
It is called acidic build up not good it means the battery was emitting gaseous vapor and condensing on the carpet.

Hotboat
11-15-2008, 09:48 AM
I can change the batteries and boxes but how do I get rid of the mess?

Trueser
11-15-2008, 09:50 AM
I think you can use backing powder to clean it up but I think your carpet will be gone. You have carpet in the engine compartment?

And you need a new battery.

BigGrizzly
11-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Two ways there is a product at auto stores that comes in a spray can that naturalizes the acid and turns it pink or use baking powder and then flush it off wit water

mike o
11-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Baking powder is a base that will neutrualize the battery acid . Its gonna foam... Means its doing its stuff. Dissolve the baking soda in warm water solution..........

Hotboat
11-15-2008, 10:13 AM
The engine compartment has carpet on each side platform. I have now removed the carpet. Does anyone know where I can purchase some of the thin alum diamond treadplate? It think I will replace it with that or any other suggestions?

BigGrizzly
11-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Aluminum diamond plate is a bad option it will disappear in a hurry. Put it in a plastic base or battery box.

BUIZILLA
11-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Boil them in water, let cool, strain and drink.... :shocking::nilly::boggled: you and Bennett spent wayyyyy too much time in the back of Fairchild Gardens chasing trump plants...

anonymous

fogducker III
11-15-2008, 10:50 AM
The engine compartment has carpet on each side platform. I have now removed the carpet. Does anyone know where I can purchase some of the thin alum diamond treadplate? It think I will replace it with that or any other suggestions?

As stated above, a new battery and a quality battery box, at least if the battery goes bad the box contains the mess........:)

Personally I like the Optima battery line....

CHACHI
11-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Hotboat, in the bilge of my 22 (1999 vintage) I have white "fiberglass" diamond plate that the battery sits on. This same material is also used for a bulkhead behind the rear seat.
I am sure someone on the board would know where to get this material.

It looks like it would be easy to work with.

Ken

Hotboat
11-15-2008, 11:25 AM
I guess I was confusing. I want the diamond plate to replace the carpet. I will put the batteries in a proper box. The fiberglass plate sounds good. Anyone know of an outlet?

Conquistador_del_mar
11-15-2008, 11:56 AM
I guess I was confusing. I want the diamond plate to replace the carpet. I will put the batteries in a proper box. The fiberglass plate sounds good. Anyone know of an outlet?

I am almost certain that I have seen aluminum diamond plate in smaller sheet pieces sold at Tractor Supply along with quite a few other metals. At least you wouldn't have to buy a 4x8 sheet to do your project. I really like the sterile and strong look of it. Bill

cutwater
11-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Hotboat - where are you in TN?

Hotboat
11-15-2008, 06:08 PM
I am in Morristown.

MOP
11-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Many times what causes the acid vapors is an over charging condition may pay to look into that after you change batteries, it could just be the old batteries demanding more charge due to age.

A friend got this stuff, it is very good looking but like any plastic it will scuff. He replaced one piece quite awhile back and now is just more careful.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HEAVY-DUTY-Diamond-Plate-Plastic-Sheeting-no-adhesive_W0QQitemZ110140282142QQcmdZViewItem

RickR
11-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Hotboat
I would not recommend the aluminum I used. I think it was 3031 alloy.
Salt water and battery acid damage this alloy.
BUT you can get it at:

SteelFrazier Welding & Steel
917 Cooper St
Knoxville, TN 37917

(865) 524-3011‎

RedDog
11-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Hey Dale. Do you have a Donzi in the stall again. Didn't you sell your 16?

Hotboat
11-18-2008, 04:00 PM
No Donzi today but a 24' Cigarette & a 23' Century Arrow.