PDA

View Full Version : Military pics...

Tony
11-14-2008, 05:13 PM
These are some pretty awesome shots.
I'm especially impressed with the aircraft carrier making a high speed turn!

http://www.tom-phillips.info/images/cool.pics.military.htm

http://www.tom-phillips.info/images/cool.pics.military.2.htm

http://www.tom-phillips.info/images/cool.pics.military.3.htm

:beer:
(http://www.tom-phillips.info/images/cool.pics.military.3.htm)

chappy
11-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Very cool pics, thanks Tony.

DonziJon
11-14-2008, 06:49 PM
I Sailed aboard the Iowa, BB-61 in 1987. :yes: John

jl1962
11-14-2008, 07:11 PM
These are some pretty awesome shots.
I'm especially impressed with the aircraft carrier making a high speed turn!

:beer:
(http://www.tom-phillips.info/images/cool.pics.military.3.htm)

Tony -

I have a Naval Academy friend who tells that they can actually put the flight deck in the water if they turn hard enough. Strange that the ship doesn't lean the same direction that it is turning.

Jay

Cuda
11-15-2008, 04:08 AM
The most dangerous weapon in the US arsenal...........a Marine with his rifle.

zimm17
11-15-2008, 09:48 AM
Tony -

I have a Naval Academy friend who tells that they can actually put the flight deck in the water if they turn hard enough. Strange that the ship doesn't lean the same direction that it is turning.

Jay

The difference between and ship and a boat is that a boat leans into turns, a ship leans away. But being a Navy pilot, we always call a navy ship "the boat", mostly just to erk the surface guys.

I'll attach some of my favorite pictures I've taken on deployment:

zimm17
11-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Some more with my helicopter

jl1962
11-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Zimm - Thanks for posting the pix and thanks for serving! I'm glad that you and many thousands like you are on our team! Keep 'em flying!

-Jay

PS - My wife works at United Technologies and occasionally works on Sikorsky projects. She says the Sikorsky guys refer to helicopters as "a random assembly of parts flying in formation". You've probably heard that one but it cracks me up.

:shades:

JL

Cuda
11-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Zimm, I didn't realize you were active Navy. Are you in Mayport, or at the NAS in Orange Park? We remodeled the McDonald's on base in Mayport, and the Mcd between the two entrances to the NAS in Orange Park. When we did Mayport, a nuclear carrier came in, and not once did I fail to see an attack helicopter in the air while it was tied up. They are serious about their security there.

Cuda
11-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Also, I see you are headed to Hawaii next month. Dad was stationed at Pearl Harbor when my older sister was born. She was born in Trippler Army Base hospital. There is a running joke that mom knew it was going to be a girl or a boy in our family. If it was going to be a girl, he was at sea. If it was going to be a boy, he has shore duty. :) Hawaii wasn't a state yet when Jeannie was born. I was born in Subic Bay, Philippines. Dad was running patrol around Antiwetak Island when they tested the first H-Bomb. He never told mom where they were, until he saw it on 60 Minutes a few years ago. Mom said she knew, because the other wives talked, but dad being the patriot he is, never told mom for over 40 years.

In the picture, dad's firing a .45 off the stern of the minesweeper, in the Korean War, the Redhead. In that picture you can see where my "swimmer's physique" came from. :)

Cuda
11-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Dad in Gitmo, circa 1965. He was stationed in Panama City, Fl then.

zimm17
11-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Zimm, I didn't realize you were active Navy. Are you in Mayport, or at the NAS in Orange Park? We remodeled the McDonald's on base in Mayport, and the Mcd between the two entrances to the NAS in Orange Park. When we did Mayport, a nuclear carrier came in, and not once did I fail to see an attack helicopter in the air while it was tied up. They are serious about their security there.

I'm currently at Mayport going through SH-60B helicopter refresher training- hadn't flown it in 5 years. I'll finish next month and head back out my old squadron in K-bay hawaii. So the boat is sitting until I get back. I'll try and get a tour in DC and put a new motor in then.

Awesome old pics- those are the best. I'm the first active duty officer in my family, so no neat old history yet. I guess I'm making the history for my future generations.

SilverBack
11-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Zimm..Thanks for your service!!

Nice pictures!!

gpapich
11-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Tony -
Jay
This looks like a post yard period seatrial shot. Notice no planes...Cool pix, but I'm not sure about the flight deck in the water. You can certainly bury an elevator if it's lowered and you go to make a sudden turn.
In fact to turn a carrier into the wind involves a lot of coordination with the AirBoss in PriFli to ensure that the aircraft handlers suspend movement and chain down planes, ordinance, and equipment before the turn. You can obviously slide equipment right off the deck. We were typically limited to 10 degrees of heel through the turn.
Another cool thing about carriers is that you could do a little trick called "Pumping the rudder". If you entered a turn at about 10kts, rang up a full bell on all four engines and put the ship's rudder hard over, you could turn the ship 180 degrees in about two ship's lengths.
The trick was to watch the shaft rpms and wait for them to come up to full RPM and then ring up 10kts again. It would pump a bunch of water past the rudder and get the ship swinging without building up a whole lot of speed or heel.
The duty plane guard cruiser or destroyer in your "loved it" if you did this unannounced...Picture a carrier turning right in front of you and then ending up with about 1500-2000 of lateral separation and relative closing speed of 20kts in about a minute or so.
Have a city bus driver stand on his brakes and flip a bit@H in front of you with no signal and you get the idea.:wink:
- Former SARATOGA (CV-60) First Division Officer and conning officer

Rootsy
11-18-2008, 11:44 AM
The most dangerous weapon in the US arsenal...........a Marine with his rifle.

He'd be even more deadly if they'd give him a magazine with some ammo in it...

DonziJon
11-18-2008, 01:23 PM
- Former SARATOGA (CV-60) First Division Officer and conning officer

Saratoga is now in moth balls in Newport, RI, across the pier from Forrestal. There's a group of people trying to requisition the Saratoga from the Navy for a Museum, to be docked over at Quonset Point, RI. John

gpapich
11-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Saratoga is now in moth balls in Newport, RI, across the pier from Forrestal. There's a group of people trying to requisition the Saratoga from the Navy for a Museum, to be docked over at Quonset Point, RI. John

Yeah, That's cool. When I decomm'ed her in '94, Jacksonville tried hard with the "Save our Sara" fundraising campaign that just didn't quite do it. At least she's not razor blades...

Cuda
11-22-2008, 04:49 PM
He'd be even more deadly if they'd give him a magazine with some ammo in it...
He drove home from Camp Lejumme last night. I just noticed his truck there today. I had wondered why his girlfriend's car was there last night.

You wouldn't believe the rules of engagement that have to go by. They litterally have to wait until someone raises their gun to a certain angle before thay are allowed to fire.:mad: