PDA

View Full Version : trim tab location ???

Zinger
11-14-2008, 04:27 PM
I installed full hydraulic steering , you would think is no big deal to install but the trim tab ram falls right in the middle of the steering cylinder . I spent many hours filling holes , gel coating and sanding . Now I have to figure where to put the trim tabs , I have two locations that I can install them one is about two inches from the outside of the hull or about 10 inches from the drive. Has anyone had to relocate them and where did you put them.:nilly::bonk:

SilverBack
11-14-2008, 07:32 PM
I don't know if they agree but Blown Crew Cab and Big Grizz know alot about this subject. Maybe one of them of Buiz or Poodle will jump in. I want to know what is doable also!

BlownCrewCab
11-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Okay I'll Bite.. Where you mount your tabs depends on what your trying to achive. If you have an overweight friend that you boat with often and your just trying to get a level ride then the standard location out by the chine is good. I believe the faster your boat the closer to the drive the tabs should go. if your boat goes 60+mph then the chine mounted tabs will be up out of the water and greater tab inputs are required for corrections, and the greater the input the greater effect they have when water conditions change. when you see tabs mounted closer to center it's more to control how the boat flies when jumping or running in chop than just cruising around level on smooth water. I also believe your "Load" (passengers and equipment) should balance the boat and the tabs should be used compensate for different water conditions and wind. I wouldn't quite mount mine level like fogduckers, but I wouldn't go parallel to the bottom either, I'd split the difference and choose your 10" away from the drive you mentioned.

SilverBack
11-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Okay I'll Bite.. Where you mount your tabs depends on what your trying to achive. If you have an overweight friend that you boat with often and your just trying to get a level ride then the standard location out by the chine is good. I believe the faster your boat the closer to the drive the tabs should go. if your boat goes 60+mph then the chine mounted tabs will be up out of the water and greater tab inputs are required for corrections, and the greater the input the greater effect they have when water conditions change. when you see tabs mounted closer to center it's more to control how the boat flies when jumping or running in chop than just cruising around level on smooth water. I also believe your "Load" (passengers and equipment) should balance the boat and the tabs should be used compensate for different water conditions and wind. I wouldn't quite mount mine level like fogduckers, but I wouldn't go parallel to the bottom either, I'd split the difference and choose your 10" away from the drive you mentioned.

Thanks Michael!! Where do you think I should mount new tabs and what kind and size do you think that I need?

BlownCrewCab
11-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks Michael!! Where do you think I should mount new tabs and what kind and size do you think that I need?

I think for a boat your size a set of K-planes or some other billit tabs are a good choice. for the speed your planning on running the "Crimp Clamp" Sheet metal tabs aren't strong enough. then depending on what size you get will determine where and how you mount them. every boat has different needs, once you get the speed your looking for will also determine where to mount the tabs. if you need to correct for chine walk, stop porpoising, get on plane etc. for a boat of your caliber I'd get everything else dialed in first, then decide why(you need them) & where they go.

SilverBack
11-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks!!