PDA

View Full Version : Ready to water test...?

fogducker III
11-14-2008, 11:49 AM
I got the new leg late last night, flushed it out a couple of times as per Todd's suggestion, mounted it up, drilled the holes for the cavitation plate, filled it up with the Mercury "good stuff" gear oil and checked everything over a few times.........:yes:

Just need a couple of nuts and bolts for the cavitation plate, hook up the steering lines, bleed the system and pick up a prop. I should be good to hit the water later this afternoon or tomorrow morning depending on the weather.

Is there anything I have forgotten...???:confused:

ky-donzi
11-14-2008, 12:02 PM
I got a question

The reinforcement plate that you have mounted on the inside of the transom, it looks to be to the side of the thicker cored part of the transom. Is that correct? Is it ok to mount into the thinner section of the transom? I have a 98' and the transom steps down in thickness across the back of the boat.. I will be putting hydraulic steering on mine some time this winter, so I have been watchin your install

BUIZILLA
11-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Is there anything I have forgotten...??? :confused: helmet... :toiletpap :lookaroun:

Carl C
11-14-2008, 12:46 PM
If you got the big 1 1/4 inch prop shaft (which it looks like in your pics) you'll need the replacement hub for your prop. Good luck. Some have had to remove their shortys but mine has been nothing but positive!

SilverBack
11-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Good luck!!

osur866
11-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Gas - Steve

fogducker III
11-14-2008, 02:29 PM
helmet... :toiletpap :lookaroun:

:propeller: like this one? :wink:

Wish me luck..........thanks for your help.

fogducker III
11-14-2008, 02:32 PM
If you got the big 1 1/4 inch prop shaft (which it looks like in your pics) you'll need the replacement hub for your prop. Good luck. Some have had to remove their shortys but mine has been nothing but positive!

Ya I found that out this morning, didn't even notice until then that it was the bigger shaft, I'll just have to get the bigger shaft kit, oh well its only $$$ right? :boggled:

fogducker III
11-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Gas - Steve

:rolleyes: I knew I forgot something, thanks for the heads up...:wink:

Trueser
11-14-2008, 03:04 PM
After your first run I would double check and change the oil again. Just to make sure nothing was left behind.

Make sure the magnet is clean and shavings free.

$$$$ premium fuel......

fogducker III
11-14-2008, 03:57 PM
After your first run I would double check and change the oil again. Just to make sure nothing was left behind.

Make sure the magnet is clean and shavings free.

$$$$ premium fuel......

Excellent advice, I have some more gear oil put aside for just that, fuel wise, our prices just went WAY down, a little while ago 94 octane was almost $1.50 a liter it now just over $1.10!!!!!!! :party:

kramsay1234
11-14-2008, 08:00 PM
That thing looks sweettass on there...:popcorn:

Conquistador_del_mar
11-14-2008, 08:30 PM
I got the new leg late last night, flushed it out a couple of times as per Todd's suggestion, mounted it up, drilled the holes for the cavitation plate, filled it up with the Mercury "good stuff" gear oil and checked everything over a few times.........:yes:

Just need a couple of nuts and bolts for the cavitation plate, hook up the steering lines, bleed the system and pick up a prop. I should be good to hit the water later this afternoon or tomorrow morning depending on the weather.

Is there anything I have forgotten...???:confused:

If you are using the power steering pump for the new steering system, you might want to tie off the outdrive to your transom lifting eyes when you first fire it up. A friend of mine broke his gimble ring when the outdrive slammed to one side when he first fired it up to bleed the system. Just a note of caution. Bill

fogducker III
11-14-2008, 09:04 PM
If you are using the power steering pump for the new steering system, you might want to tie off the outdrive to your transom lifting eyes when you first fire it up. A friend of mine broke his gimble ring when the outdrive slammed to one side when he first fired it up to bleed the system. Just a note of caution. Bill

I really appreciate that info Bill, I did not know that could happen and I will definately do that, having snapped my gimble in half once before when I put an Alpha Gen II lower on a Gen I upper and then hit the trailering up switch..... :shocking:and having to replace it I do not want to go there again........:bonk:

Conquistador_del_mar
11-15-2008, 12:12 AM
I really appreciate that info Bill, I did not know that could happen and I will definately do that, having snapped my gimble in half once before when I put an Alpha Gen II lower on a Gen I upper and then hit the trailering up switch..... :shocking:and having to replace it I do not want to go there again........:bonk:

You're welcome. My friend who did that had just installed a new dual ram system on the Eliminator Daytona that I now own. When I changed it over to a Bravo drive, I had to remove the steering system, but I remembered his warning. Sure enough, when I first fired it up the ropes held the drive from slamming to the port side if I remember correctly. As soon as I had turned the wheel a couple times, the system was stabilized. Just thought I would pass that along. Bill

osur866
11-15-2008, 06:22 AM
I just finished my dual ram latham install and bleed the system using a power drill to spin the power steering pump drive turned over side to side just fine should I have any worries when I firing the engine now? Steve

The Hedgehog
11-15-2008, 08:25 AM
I just finished my dual ram latham install and bleed the system using a power drill to spin the power steering pump drive turned over side to side just fine should I have any worries when I firing the engine now? Steve

Nice, we will need pics Steve

osur866
11-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Nice, we will need pics Steve
They will be coming as soon as I get a replacment upper hing from Bennett, the port tab upper hing had an issue this past summer :bonk: Steve

osur866
11-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Order the ones with the shorter stop...

You should be good if it's bled... I traded my longer ones for the shorter ones eairler in the spring, problem is mine was the indicators in the upper hing and the wire on the coil inside has a short in it Bennett is replacing at no charge just have to send the old one back can't say enough good thing about the cus. service of Bennett :yes: Steve