PDA

View Full Version : Prop thoughts?

fogducker III
11-13-2008, 08:56 AM
What do you think about the Mercury Laser II props? I picked up a 23P one last night for a screaming deal and was thinking of trying it out on the 18 when it is all together, if it is not suitable I can use it for the other boat.

It has the three "ventilation" holes in the base, what exactly do they do and would they help my application?

RedDog
11-13-2008, 09:36 AM
Aren't you putting a shortie on? If so, I bet that prop is too small. May be too small with the standard leg considering you are running a Scorpion.

Doesn't hurt to try though.

osur866
11-13-2008, 10:16 AM
If your running a shortie I suggest a large dia. 3 blade as a place to start Steve

fogducker III
11-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Yes I am installing an Imco shortie and I swapped the 1:36 gears for 1:50, so you figure a 23p is not enough pitch?

I can look for a higher pitch if needed but what are the Laser II props any good? Pros and/or cons and what do the ventilation holes do?

ky-donzi
11-13-2008, 10:28 AM
There are other people that will probably know more, but I'm guessin that is pretty small.

I'd say that you need to be more in the mirage plus 25P range, with that gear.....

mrfixxall
11-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Yes I am installing an Imco shortie and I swapped the 1:36 gears for 1:50, so you figure a 23p is not enough pitch?

I can look for a higher pitch if needed but what are the Laser II props any good? Pros and/or cons and what do the ventilation holes do?

The holes in the prop is designed to let the exhaust through the holes which creates bubbles to let the prop slip during the hole shot..you wont need it on your boat and it will probably slip like crazy..try it if it slips to much you can plug the holes and it wont slip as much..with the shorty you will meed at leaste a mirage + 15'' prop.

BigGrizzly
11-13-2008, 11:13 AM
From a guy who tests and sells props, I will tell you that that is the wrong prop especially with the shorty. That prop design is almost 20 years old. One we need the drive ans ratio, next the REAL HP of the engine. Then we can gestimate from that point unless you have several real GPS speed numbers and matching RPMS.

fogducker III
11-13-2008, 11:22 AM
From a guy who tests and sells props, I will tell you that that is the wrong prop especially with the shorty. That prop design is almost 20 years old. One we need the drive ans ratio, next the REAL HP of the engine. Then we can gestimate from that point unless you have several real GPS speed numbers and matching RPMS.

Thank you, that makes sense, the upper gears are 1:50 as are the lower in the 2" Imco shortie, the engine is 377hp but 350hp at the prop. The specs on the engine show 4800-5200 WOT.

I plan on water testing this weekend to make sure the Mayfair steering system, new gears and new leg are 100% and then I can do some GPS runs to get speed and RPM's.

In order to do this I will need a prop to start with, what I am gathering is a good starting place might be a Mirage Plus 25P ???

smokediver
11-13-2008, 01:59 PM
the laser2 was the best prop for my 16 while it was under 300 horsepower . I found that the slip numbers went way up as horsepower increased . The diameter is only 13 3/4 or 13 1/2 .

Bubba Dog
11-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Greetings Fogducker,
Bubba Dog here, I have a factory '02 18' Scorp, with the 25p turning @ 4900rpms I'm running 74mph. I think you'll need a larger prop with the "Shortie". I just missed buying your shortie from Todd.
Best of luck, Bubba

fogducker III
11-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks Bubba for the response, ya Todd was good and actually sitting here right this second waiting for UPS........:frown:

I will try a 25P and see where it goes, I will get back to you and pick your brains about your boat.........:wink:

Take care, Jeremy

kramsay1234
11-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Hey Jeremy nothing you haven't already been told, but I put a Laser on my 23 Scarab a few years back and it blew out so bad coming out of the hole that it wasn't even useable. It didn't have the PVS vents either. With them out it would have been even worse if that is possible. The diameter of that prop is just too small, not to mention a 23 pitch is also too small for your boat.

You might listen to Big Grizz a little. I think he has been selling props for at least the last year or two...

The Hedgehog
11-13-2008, 08:52 PM
I would listen to these guys before you buy any prop. Screaming deal or no deal.

Lenny
11-13-2008, 09:46 PM
I have a NEW TXP 23P that I bought from Grizz with about 2 hours on it. You are more than welcome to try it. It is too much prop on my 18 but you have about 100 more ponies. I can only turn that prop to 64 GPS mph in the very low 4K range. I also run it at 2 3/4" raised "X" being I have an Alpha SS on it. It hooks up VERY well and has very little slip. It is a fabulous prop on this boat only I have too few ponies.

I bet it would work perfect on your application. :yes:

Let me know, as I will be running the Cleaver on the Saturday (in the heat and brilliant sunshine) ;) and this one is available.

fogducker III
11-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks all, believe it or not, I am listening............:lookaroun:

I just had UPS knock on my door and I have my "shortie" in hand, thanks Todd!

I will mount it in the morning, and then hit up the local prop guy and grab a 25P of some sort to start off and see where I stand............

I agree now that I have been educated that the 23p will not be enough, and the ventilated one will definatly not work for my application.

I hope to hit the water this weekend sometime and will let you all know how it goes, I appreciate the advice and help.............take care, Jeremy

osur866
11-14-2008, 06:44 AM
I have a pretty good Idea where you will end up but you will have to try some different things to decide for yourself :wink: Steve

Carl C
11-14-2008, 06:55 AM
Clean the holes with a solvent and plug them with quick-set epoxy. Use tape to block the inside hole and fill one at a time. It can be easily drilled out in the future. Then you can try the prop since you already have it.:propeller: And welcome to the shorty club.

RedDog
11-14-2008, 07:06 AM
Clean the holes with a solvent and plug them with quick-set epoxy. Use tape to block the inside hole and fill one at a time. It can be easily drilled out in the future. Then you can try the prop since you already have it.:propeller: And welcome to the shorty club.

Carl - great tip. I have a Turbo that needs the vents plugged

VetteLT193
11-14-2008, 07:39 AM
Do the vent holes do anything if you run through hull exhaust?

Also... Mercury sells plugs for the vent holes as well as different sized inserts to fine tune things.

http://store.boatsunlimitedny.com/category.php?QCID=hvdosvvp51bealrnb5jgh90nh0&qcc=1100&qpg=11

mjw930
11-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Do the vent holes do anything if you run through hull exhaust?
Also... Mercury sells plugs for the vent holes as well as different sized inserts to fine tune things.
http://store.boatsunlimitedny.com/category.php?QCID=hvdosvvp51bealrnb5jgh90nh0&qcc=1100&qpg=11

No, not really. Buy the plugs from Mercury and do a test, there will be no difference on a boat without through prop exhaust.

Classic Doddy
11-14-2008, 10:25 PM
I just bought a 18 classic (2004) with the 377 and 1.65 gear (I'm at sea level). Currently it has a 25p three blade Mirage Plus. Any additional suggestions for the second prop I need.

Michael

fogducker III
11-15-2008, 12:49 AM
I just bought a 18 classic (2004) with the 377 and 1.65 gear (I'm at sea level). Currently it has a 25p three blade Mirage Plus. Any additional suggestions for the second prop I need.

Michael

I am new to the board as well, but welcome. Wow, you are one of the few from what I have heard with a Scorpion in an 18. Is it a factory set-up or like mine, an after-thought....:wink:

The 1:65 gears are different..........(Steve?)

Sometimes the best thing to do, I have found, is to post a seperate thread for specific questions........

I am just in the middle of trying to set up my boat and from what info I have gathered, your 25 should be a good prop for your set-up....... assuming you have the 320hp Scorpion???

A "Spare" prop is anything that gets you to the dock.............:yes:

osur866
11-15-2008, 06:31 AM

Michael Need more info. what is your w.o.t. rpm's a GPS speed and what are you trying to accomplish with a changing what you have? Steve

osur866
11-15-2008, 06:37 AM
[quote=osur866;477164]Need more info. what is your w.o.t. rpm's a GPS speed and what are you trying to accomplish with a changing what you have? Are you planning any other mods? Welcome to the Board Steve quote]

The Hedgehog
11-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Michael

I have a 383 mag in my 18 and it is within a few hp of your 377. I have a stock x -dim and my boat loves the 23" Turbo vs the M+. You will need a different pitch since I have 1.5 gears

BigGrizzly
11-15-2008, 08:47 AM
I am sure you guys have don back to back test With and plugging the holes on the same prop. I have and I have done this on every style classic and almost every eliminator and Fountain they made as well as bass boats with both 2 and 4 stroke engines. and it does make a difference. The other thing you better is make sure the passingers are the same and sitting in the same position too. As Randy and Jamie will tell you it makes a difference too.

Madcow
11-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Why does everyone use a 3 blade prop on the 18s?I have a pyle of props (3, 4 and 5 blades) that I have used over the years on my bigger boats.
I have an 18 with a shortie and about a 450 horse small block that I hope to have in the water soon.

osur866
11-15-2008, 08:57 AM
Why does everyone use a 3 blade prop on the 18s?I have a pyle of props (3, 4 and 5 blades) that I have used over the years on my bigger boats.
I have an 18 with a shortie and about a 450 horse small block that I hope to have in the water soon.
I found the 3 blades to be a tad faster than the 4's I do however run a 4 blade on mine as well, but when I want the top end the 3 blade is on the 4 blade believe it or not is a little looser than a 3 on my set up up on the topend for crusing and handling below 50ish the 4 blade is nice. It's finding the right 3 blade that will work for you is the key, if your running a shortie on the 18 I'd try a large diameter prop either 3 or 4 blade My .02 Steve

BigGrizzly
11-15-2008, 09:00 AM
In today's world, the new prop designs are great. The old 4 blades are not as good as the new 3 blades. In MOST cases the 3 blade is faster on non step deep V's. even with shortys. Funny we have surpassed the old Hydromotive in most cases. In the past three or four years the book has changed on props. I do testing almost ever week and have blown the old theories away.

fogducker III
11-15-2008, 01:00 PM
In today's world, the new prop designs are great. The old 4 blades are not as good as the new 3 blades. In MOST cases the 3 blade is faster on non step deep V's. even with shortys. Funny we have surpassed the old Hydromotive in most cases. In the past three or four years the book has changed on props. I do testing almost ever week and have blown the old theories away.

So other than Mirage Plus, Turbo, Hydromotive, Ballistic etc. is there anything new out there in the three blade around 25p that I should be looking at?

The problem I have is that I don't have unlimited access to various props to "try" them........:frown:

I don't have the $$$ to just buy props until I find the right one either.

When the rain stops here I hope to get out and water test this damn boat, I will start with a "borrowed" 25p Mirage and see where I need to go from there........:crossfing:

osur866
11-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Jermery, relax get some base line numbers play with it for awhile and drag that thing to AOTH and I'm sure you can find almost anything you want to try, if you have time to try them all. Steve

roadtrip se
11-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Jeremy, I would spend about an hour talking to Steve.

He tried everything this season and has it figured it out.

I would have never predicted he would land where he did, but that is why we test.

Have fun and be careful out there!

Steve, make sure to pack that 28 Bravo for AOTH, it needs to find its way on the back of the SE sooner than later....

osur866
11-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Todd, boxed and ready, Jermery and I have talked a bit, should be posting some pics of my steering soon :crossfing: if I get my part from Bennett. Steve

mjw930
11-15-2008, 01:33 PM
I am sure you guys have don back to back test With and plugging the holes on the same prop. I have and I have done this on every style classic and almost every eliminator and Fountain they made as well as bass boats with both 2 and 4 stroke engines. and it does make a difference. The other thing you better is make sure the passingers are the same and sitting in the same position too. As Randy and Jamie will tell you it makes a difference too.

What differences have you seen on boats without thru-prop exhaust? I'm curious because a number of prop guys that I've used for high performance props have told me they have no use for ventilation holes unless you have through prop exhaust, which none of the boats I've owned in 15 years had. They do, however, use ventilation holes when they are working on outboards.

Classic Doddy
11-15-2008, 03:02 PM
I am new to the board as well, but welcome. Wow, you are one of the few from what I have heard with a Scorpion in an 18. Is it a factory set-up or like mine, an after-thought....:wink:

The 1:65 gears are different..........(Steve?)

Sometimes the best thing to do, I have found, is to post a seperate thread for specific questions........

I am just in the middle of trying to set up my boat and from what info I have gathered, your 25 should be a good prop for your set-up....... assuming you have the 320hp Scorpion???

A "Spare" prop is anything that gets you to the dock.............:yes:

OOOOPS! Not the scorpion 377, I thought this was the mercury name of the 6.2. My fault - it is the 6.2 MPI 320 HP. It is the sweetest best kept little boat that I have every seen. 100 hours and never spent a night outside of a heated garage. The previous, and only owner, said it ran a solid 68-70 with he and his wife with the current set-up (they were little people, average size - I go 6'5", 300lb.). It is hitting that speed at approximately 4800 to 5000 RPM

My brother has a mid 90's 27' Powerquest Laser with a Monster custom 502 at 550 to 600 hp motor and he's been trying out all sorts of props since he got the motor in last summer and he's recommended the last prop he tried, a 4 blade, lab finished, hydro (cleaver??). I guess it is nice that with my 1.65 ratio that we are close to running the same prop and same speed.

Here is the picture from Boat Crazy - it's all covered and in the garage.

Michael :pizza:

Classic Doddy
11-15-2008, 04:22 PM
[quote=osur866;477164]Need more info. what is your w.o.t. rpm's a GPS speed and what are you trying to accomplish with a changing what you have? Are you planning any other mods? Welcome to the Board Steve quote]

No new mods have been planned as of yet - I have a little girl on the way. I did post a thread about the possibility of some short of swim platform/step to assist getting in the thing. I have had some practice climbing up the lower, not to bad.

Thinking of squeaking a few more MPH from the bird to assist me bettering my brother's PowerQuest. I do believe the WOT is 4800-5000 with the 25p at 68-70.

Thanks Michael

osur866
11-16-2008, 07:06 AM
Doddy, I had/have the same set-up as you with a few mods done, when I started I was right where you where 68-69 all day long and an with the right conditions bump 70 a few times, solid set up but I couldn't leave mine alone to squeak a few more mph is gonna cost. I feel the best bang for the buck if you don't plan on doing anything else is to lab your currnt prop gain a few rpms and just put gas and oil in her and enjoy it, your 6.2 will spin to 5200 rpms so you have a few hundred you could pick up and you might add 1-2 mph my .02 Steve

Classic Doddy
11-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Doddy, I had/have the same set-up as you with a few mods done, when I started I was right where you where 68-69 all day long and an with the right conditions bump 70 a few times, solid set up but I couldn't leave mine alone to squeak a few more mph is gonna cost. I feel the best bang for the buck if you don't plan on doing anything else is to lab your currnt prop gain a few rpms and just put gas and oil in her and enjoy it, your 6.2 will spin to 5200 rpms so you have a few hundred you could pick up and you might add 1-2 mph my .02 Steve

That sounds just about right to me. I'll try some different props out and report everything back to a board. My brother is looking into a 25p bravo one, may be a touch to much of the little Donzi - but I'll find out. Thankyou

Michael

BigGrizzly
11-16-2008, 10:57 AM
I had worked with Steve at Cumberland and I too am extremely surprised that he ended up where he did. I am also surprised thar his particular boat did not like the Fusion. My concern was the water and temp the days of testing. With the steering and a warmer , Steve's boat didn't perform that much better with the shorty at the time we tested for some unknown reason. Steve is a very capable driver and his seat time was NOT an issue at the time we tested. However the steering could be, we shall see. It is also, not just my opinion, hydraulic steering is faster. I do prefer the full to the half, with the brazill valve type.
Now for the prop The bests prop makers that I have found, and I test almost all including Powertec and Ross, are Precision(Turbo), Solas and Merc Hydromotive. The rest are actually copies of the former. Save your self time, Come to an event and test. I am a dealer and bring an assortment with me for predetermined applications, as most on the board can tell you.

fogducker III
11-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the input, as soon as I get a window in the weather here I will go out with a 25p Mirage and get some base numbers and work from there as per Steve's advice..........:wink:

Once I get a feel for the new set-up I can attempt to try some differnt options, IF needed.

I would love to come to any one of the events held down there, two issues, one is $$$ and the other is DISTANCE! I don't mind road trips but pulling a boat that kind of distance is hard on ALL the equipment, including the driver....:frown: I have done numerous trips in the past few years picking up boats bought by friends relatives and others and the novelty wore off pretty quick after about the 9th or 10th trip..........

Having said that, IF I can talk my better half into it, I think AOTH might be the trip to target although it would be one of the farthest from us. Driving 2655 miles EACH way takes a bit of doing.......:shocking:

I guess I better get my ass in gear and set the boat up properly eh?

kramsay1234
11-16-2008, 03:07 PM
I think what you need to do is put on that Big Bird Yellow rain jacket and those racing goggles and get that little rocket of yours in the water so we can all hear how it works. The water should be nice and cold so it should run like a champ. :boat:

fogducker III
11-16-2008, 03:58 PM
I think what you need to do is put on that Big Bird Yellow rain jacket and those racing goggles and get that little rocket of yours in the water so we can all hear how it works. The water should be nice and cold so it should run like a champ. :boat:

Mustang survival suits and googles as well as a good toque are your friends out here from about September on...........:wink:

I have every intention of hitting the water asap.........as you probably know, rain on the face above 60mph hurts a little.......:rolleyes:

Lenny
11-16-2008, 06:38 PM
I have done numerous trips in the past few years picking up boats bought by friends relatives and others and the novelty wore off pretty quick after about the 9th or 10th trip..........

You get used to it after you accept the fact that you need to fly and/or drive everywhere to have fun with these folks. :yes:

See ya in Kentucky, in Arizona, in New York, in Florida and Texas in '09...

Lenny :D

fogducker III
11-17-2008, 09:34 AM
You get used to it after you accept the fact that you need to fly and/or drive everywhere to have fun with these folks. :yes:

See ya in Kentucky, in Arizona, in New York, in Florida and Texas in '09...

Lenny :D

Flying is easy, actually taking your own boat to an event is the important part.........:wink:

osur866
11-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Not so true, ask Lenny how many boats he rode on at AOTH this year? There is always room in someones boat if you can't bring your own. Many boats this year broke :bonk: and I don't recall leaving anyone at the docks, I myself had a extra lovely couple ride with me. Steve

Lenny
11-17-2008, 10:45 AM
he rode on

"on" is definately the operative word here :D

Lenny
11-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Jeremy, how is the prop thing working out?

I think the TURBO TXP 23" R I have here will surprise you as to how much power it needs to spin. Very LOW slip numbers too.

I bet it works for you and you'll see 5200. Let me know. :)

osur866
11-17-2008, 10:55 AM
If Lenny's close to you Jermey and you can get your hands on try it, try EVERYTHING you can get your hands on, thats what I did and I landed where nobody thought I would you may two! Steve

fogducker III
11-17-2008, 10:56 AM
Jeremy, how is the prop thing working out?

I think the TURBO TXP 23" R I have here will surprise you as to how much power it needs to spin. Very LOW slip numbers too.

I bet it works for you and you'll see 5200. Let me know. :)

Thanks man, I will give you a phone call probably mid week if that is OK?

osur866
11-17-2008, 10:59 AM
I personally think it will be a bit small but try it

BUIZILLA
11-17-2008, 11:15 AM
I personally think it will be a bit small but try it
I don't... :lookaroun:

osur866
11-17-2008, 11:19 AM
I don't... :lookaroun:
Well, I tried a 26 txp on my 320hp 6.2 with a -2" shorty and 1.65 gears and it was too small was on the limiter put a 27 txp on and was just about right. He has a few more ponies than me but only one way to find out is to try it.

BUIZILLA
11-17-2008, 11:26 AM
is Fog's drive a 1.65?

osur866
11-17-2008, 11:27 AM
No 1.5's, mine is 1.65's

osur866
11-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Been my experience going from 1.5 to 1.65 or visa versa is usually roughy around 2" to 2 1/2" different in pitch am I wrong? Steve

BigGrizzly
11-17-2008, 12:08 PM
A 23 or 24 unless it is a good running 377 then a 25 could work well. Just remember Lenny's has a SS drive which is higher then an IMCO 2" shorty.

osur866
11-17-2008, 12:16 PM
And I feel the Alpha SS has much less wetted surface than the Imco which I think would result in less drag as well. Steve

BigGrizzly
11-17-2008, 01:04 PM
These are my thoughts as well. Lenny's has a 350 not a 377, there isw a slight difference there so I am still torn between 24 and 25. Then I was wrong about your boat. but if you remember the first one was the best we tried that day. Your boat still is a mystery to me.

osur866
11-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Yep and it was the 27 remember how the 26 reacted? Night and day different. I think todd tried a 25p txp on Jills boat and it was a tad too big if I remember but that didn't have a shortie on it. I bet ya a 25 would be pretty close for a txp IMO.

BigGrizzly
11-17-2008, 01:18 PM
I am not sure because Todd had been given to try a small shaft prop ans I think Jills was the big shaft. But I don't remember too much I was having too much fun with you and the others. A good time to be sure.

Lenny
11-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Does my SS have the same shaft as the IMCO Shortie on Jeremy's boat?

fogducker III
11-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Does my SS have the same shaft as the IMCO Shortie on Jeremy's boat?

The prop shaft on my leg is the 1 1/4" .

BigGrizzly
11-17-2008, 06:18 PM
If it is a 1 1/4 then no it is the bigger shaft and can not use the fusion or T-Locl hup from turbo.

fogducker III
11-18-2008, 05:51 PM
So this is my starting point, as per gentle hints form those in the know........:wink:

Will try and get out tomorrow and see what it does.........:confused:

kramsay1234
11-18-2008, 11:34 PM
I'd say you'll hit at least 60mph...:shades:

Hurry up and get it wet already.

kramsay1234
11-18-2008, 11:36 PM
Actually Fog, I have been in Cranbrook BC for he last week working. Has been 10 degrees or more and I have been walking around with short sleeves and no coat when outside. I am in Vancouver right now waiting for a flight. I should have stayed over here and gone with you tomorrow for the ride, and then come home...

fogducker III
11-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Actually Fog, I have been in Cranbrook BC for he last week working. Has been 10 degrees or more and I have been walking around with short sleeves and no coat when outside. I am in Vancouver right now waiting for a flight. I should have stayed over here and gone with you tomorrow for the ride, and then come home...

Shame you weren't able to stay for a couple of days, Saturday should be a good run......:crossfing:

Lenny
11-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Go for Bow Lift Jeremy :D You will need it with the shortie.

72 gps is my guess and a handful :)

Do you want to go to Deep Cove Chalet on Saturday night or somewhere else with John and Boo Boo or are you even available?

fogducker III
11-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Ya, I agree that it will be a handful..........:yes:

Jacqui and I are up for a night out Sat for sure...........

osur866
11-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Jermey my guess is you will be on the limiter but a good place to start. Steve good luck Steve

fogducker III
12-08-2008, 06:47 PM
OK, so during the Sat run with Lenny and John and the boys, the best speed I registered with the 25P Mirage Plus was 73.3mph........... that was with two of us in the boat and me learning the feel of it, so probably could have got a little more, but not much. I am not 100% sure what the rpm's were for two reasons, one, I had a hard time seeing the tach where it is located and two, I realize now, I was not getting a true reading even if I could see it.

I went out yesterday after re-doing the dash and tried the Lazer II 23P, by myself I hit 74.1mph at 5200rpm..........boat was solid as a rock...........:confused:

To me, this doesn't make sense? Now where do I go if that Lazer, by ALL accounts was not the right prop from the start and the Mirage Plus 25P only got me to just over 73..........???

Do I try a larger 23P or is there a larger 25P or do I try a 27P?????? I am so confused.........:frown::boggled::)

mike o
12-08-2008, 07:31 PM
OK, so during the Sat run with Lenny and John and the boys, the best speed I registered with the 25P Mirage Plus was 73.3mph........... that was with two of us in the boat and me learning the feel of it, so probably could have got a little more, but not much. I am not 100% sure what the rpm's were for two reasons, one, I had a hard time seeing the tach where it is located and two, I realize now, I was not getting a true reading even if I could see it.

I went out yesterday after re-doing the dash and tried the Lazer II 23P, by myself I hit 74.1mph at 5200rpm..........boat was solid as a rock...........:confused:

To me, this doesn't make sense? Now where do I go if that Lazer, by ALL accounts was not the right prop from the start and the Mirage Plus 25P only got me to just over 73..........???

Do I try a larger 23P or is there a larger 25P or do I try a 27P?????? I am so confused.........:frown::boggled::).... My 95 16 with a 4.3/ 4 barrel 205 hp came with a lazer 23 p. It was hitting the limiter and i had to concentrate on the tack to much while driving.. I bought a lazer 25p (recommended on the board) ran @ 4800 and used it most of the summer. Alittle doggie out of the hole but a tad faster...

Lenny
12-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Try a Fusion :) at 25P

smokediver
12-08-2008, 08:09 PM
What were your RPM's with the Mirage ? I think the laser is a great prop but i just don't think there is enough blade area for your setup . I betcha a labbed mirage plus in the 25 pitch range will be your best bet :yes:

fogducker III
12-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Try a Fusion :) at 25P

Do you have a line on a Fusion 25P I can try......? :wink: (for the large 1 1/4" prop shaft)

fogducker III
12-08-2008, 08:33 PM
What were your RPM's with the Mirage ? I think the laser is a great prop but i just don't think there is enough blade area for your setup . I betcha a labbed mirage plus in the 25 pitch range will be your best bet :yes:

I totally agree about the Lazer, I was VERY impressed with what it actually did, I could spin it at will and with careful throttle got the speed up there.

A labbed 25P Mirage Plus would be really nice, but from what I have read, a labbed finish adds minimal actual MPH, and for the price, what would it be, around $1000.....? I think I just need to find something I can spin at around 4800rpm in the high 70's.........:crossfing:

Titan
12-08-2008, 10:10 PM
I went out yesterday after re-doing the dash and tried the Lazer II 23P, by myself I hit 74.1mph at 5200rpm..........boat was solid as a rock...........http://www.donzi.net/ubb/confused.gif

Where were you yesterday? I was out between 2 and 4.

I think your speed is pretty close between the two considering you had two people in the boat with the mirage. I would put the mirage back on and run by yourself to see what your max RPM is so you can compare. Next figure out which one makes the boat handle the best. If the Mirage 25 is close for RPM, Don also has a labbed Mirage 27 that I spin to the same RPM as that Mirage 25. Try as many props as you can get your hands on around those pitches, you never know until you try. To bad you have the larger shaft size because I have a 24 turbo that would probably work pretty good. Do you get any blow out with Laser in corners or getting on the step? Be patient your getting close.

fogducker III
12-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Where were you yesterday? I was out between 2 and 4.

I think your speed is pretty close between the two considering you had two people in the boat with the mirage. I would put the mirage back on and run by yourself to see what your max RPM is so you can compare. Next figure out which one makes the boat handle the best. If the Mirage 25 is close for RPM, Don also has a labbed Mirage 27 that I spin to the same RPM as that Mirage 25. Try as many props as you can get your hands on around those pitches, you never know until you try. To bad you have the larger shaft size because I have a 24 turbo that would probably work pretty good. Do you get any blow out with Laser in corners or getting on the step? Be patient your getting close.

Your right Mark, fine tuning at this point.....

I went out just after noon, went to Cow Bay and then around Saltspring, came in just before 4 and saw your truck and trailer there......:frown:

I am going to see Don tomorrow and borrow the 27, see what happens.........:confused:

It is suppose to be nice this weekend, cold but nice.....:yes:

Lenny
12-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Do you get any blow out with Laser in corners or getting on the step?

No step on 18's Mark... :)

smokediver
12-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Actually lab finishing a prop is probably the cheapest way to get an extra 2-4 mph . Doesnt that motor max out at 5400 rpm ? I would not prop it for 4800 max ! My advise would be to find a mirage plus you can turn at 5000 -5100 rpm and then send it in to throttle up or merc. racing . there might be good deals to be had . I ran Buzz's labbed mirage plus on my 18 and it was the best prop for my boat . You may lose a little speed in the midrange with a labbed prop ..

BigGrizzly
12-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Something is not correct. In a perfect world the laser11 would give 76 mph. So with your numbers the lazer11 had a 3% slip. That is a first. Of course that prop could have been modified. What needs to happen is both props need to be tried on the same day as close as possible in time of day with GPS and RPM readings at 3,500 and wfo. As for a Fusion with a big shaft I am sure now one has one because they only came with T-loc hubs (1 inch splines) except for one or two which in bigger pitches which have not been sold. I don't have any to try. Untill same day testing is done with good numbers I don't trust any of your data at this point. However if you are getting that speed out of the lazer11 I would keep it. The other factor I may have missed is that Imco a 2 inch or 3 inch shorty?

fogducker III
12-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Something is not correct. In a perfect world the laser11 would give 76 mph. So with your numbers the lazer11 had a 3% slip. That is a first. Of course that prop could have been modified. What needs to happen is both props need to be tried on the same day as close as possible in time of day with GPS and RPM readings at 3,500 and wfo. As for a Fusion with a big shaft I am sure now one has one because they only came with T-loc hubs (1 inch splines) except for one or two which in bigger pitches which have not been sold. I don't have any to try. Untill same day testing is done with good numbers I don't trust any of your data at this point. However if you are getting that speed out of the lazer11 I would keep it. The other factor I may have missed is that Imco a 2 inch or 3 inch shorty?

The Imco is a 2" shortie, the Lazer II did have a lot of slip, that is why I stated I got those numbers "carefully", out of the hole it slipped alot unless I came up gradually........my numbers for the Lazer II 23P, not sure diameter, were 74.1mph at WOT 5200rpm. Limiter did NOT come in.........

Similar water and temp conditions with the Mirage Plus 25P, two guys in the boat, 73.3mph and as I said, not 100% on rpm because of the tach issue.

Next time out I will try the Mirage Plus 25P again and get a solid reading as well as trying the 27P that is available.........thanks for all the input.

osur866
12-10-2008, 01:12 AM
Hmm, labbed 25p m+ up pitched to a 26, IMO - Steve

kramsay1234
12-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Hey Fog - Randy didn't mean blow out when you are trying to plane, he meant slip which is the % of theoretical speed that is lost when the prop is spinning full out due to the shape of the blades because they don't catch 100% of the water. All props have some slip. The less slip, the more speed and lower rpms you get with a similar sized prop vs another. Just wanted you to know what he meant. He is saying that only by having the slip down to 3% should you have gotten that kind of speed out of the Laser and it sounds like Lasers normally run with more slip than that.

Keep trying different props, especially ones people make avaialble to you. I am still trying props. Its a fun way to burn gas. My fastest prop so far which is a 27 Mirage (non-plus) still blows out pretty badly out of the hole, but is quick once you are up and running. My 4 blade Bravo 1 prop doesn't blow out from the hole at all, but it still has slip...

Randy can correct me if I blew anything in that description for you.

The Imco is a 2" shortie, the Lazer II did have a lot of slip, that is why I stated I got those numbers "carefully", out of the hole it slipped alot unless I came up gradually........my numbers for the Lazer II 23P, not sure diameter, were 74.1mph at WOT 5200rpm. Limiter did NOT come in.........

Similar water and temp conditions with the Mirage Plus 25P, two guys in the boat, 73.3mph and as I said, not 100% on rpm because of the tach issue.

Next time out I will try the Mirage Plus 25P again and get a solid reading as well as trying the 27P that is available.........thanks for all the input.

fogducker III
12-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the explaination Kevin, your right, I didn't know really what he meant.........:boggled:

I will definatly be trying different props as they become available, I think the next is a 26P four blade, I believe he is lending me a fusion? I just want to see what a four blade feels like and see what the bow lift/or not does.......your right, it is an excuse to get out on the water........:wink:

BigGrizzly
12-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks Kevin, you got it right. that prop with the shorty should have a lot more slip.