PDA

View Full Version : Lenco trim tabs??? Give me your 2 cents!!

SilverBack
11-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Have any of you used Lenco performance tabs? I see that they have electric indicators and electric actuators. How fast are they. Pros??? Cons??

How would you compare them to k-planes??

Ed Donnelly
11-13-2008, 04:56 AM
You might want to throw Arneson Rocker Plates into the mix:wink: ..Ed

CHACHI
11-13-2008, 05:56 AM
My father in law has them on his Grady and this past summer with 60 hours on the boat, the port ram has shi* to bed. Called Lenco, and their response was, you will have to purchase a new ram, 200 or so dollars.

I have Bennetts on my 22 and as other people on the board will also say, can't beat Bennett for customer service.

Given a choice, I would go with the Bennetts.

Ken

SilverBack
11-13-2008, 06:58 AM
I am thinking K-Planes or Dana tabs but I was just wondering about these. I want trim tab indicators and the Lenco tabs are the only ones that I have found that you didn't have to run mechanical indicators for.

I was not too sure about the electric servo adjustment thing though.

Last Real Texan
11-13-2008, 07:03 AM
I am thinking K-Planes or Dana tabs but I was just wondering about these. I want trim tab indicators and the Lenco tabs are the only ones that I have found that you didn't have to run mechanical indicators for.

I was not too sure about the electric servo adjustment thing though.
800+hp and 25 foot of boat add in 80 plus mph..... K- planes all the way!!
Tex

VetteLT193
11-13-2008, 07:39 AM
Bennett has an electronic indicator too... http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/catalog.php?vID=63&catHome=1&imgCheck=1

I think Gcarter ran it on his Minx (or it might have been an older / different version of it)

The Hedgehog
11-13-2008, 07:53 AM
You want mechanical indicators. Just don't get David Wade install them for you!

SilverBack
11-13-2008, 08:13 AM
You want mechanical indicators. Just don't get David Wade install them for you!

Did you install the 380s yet? Did you put mechanical indicators on them?

My biggest problem is that I have had a huge leach attached to me for almost a year and I want to keep things as simple as possible. I guess since I finally got the boat back I don't want to let it go anywhere for too long. I also don't know how much more of this my pocket book can handle. The oilfield is not reacting too well to the new president elect and oil prices. In case you have not noticed. They worked the crap out of me all summer. I put it in the stock market and lost all the extra that I had and now I should be out but the job is on hold. :bonk::bonk:Don't get me wrong..it will all be ok...I am just going to have to pace myself!!

Trueser
11-13-2008, 09:35 AM
I would go with the K-Planes, Mechanical indicators..

SilverBack
11-13-2008, 10:52 AM
I guess that I will just go with the Arneson rocker plates and drive!!

BigGrizzly
11-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Keith, Hold it Don't over think the problem. GET THE BOAT RUNNING Well with what you have then and only then make a change. Remember too much and you get screwed. You remover the leech, now don't create a self made one. There is more to rocker plates then meets the eye. Don't create a problem. At this point you are thinking too much. It is fun but costly and two big holes in the transom for the plates.

SilverBack
11-13-2008, 11:22 AM
I was just picking at Hedge Hog ..grizz I am not doing anything right now. I was just looking down the road at what is next. Don't worry!!!

BigGrizzly
11-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Stop picking at him I just get scared and at my age this is not good.

SilverBack
11-13-2008, 11:43 AM
You are not that "old"...He has been busting my chops a little about even asking about these Lenco tabs. I have never seen them so I thought that I would ask. I need some longer tabs!! I don't want to blow over when I hit triple digits!!!:pimp:

zelatore
11-13-2008, 11:48 AM
I've installed the bennet indicators on a couple boats here at work - they work fine for big/slow (well, not fast anyway) boats, but they're not really a performance part. You could sort of compare them to the stock Merc trim gauge - it's fine for the family run-about, but would you really want just that for your application?

I've got bennet dual-rams on my stock 22C. I'd call them 'adaquate'. They do the job, but they are very slow to react. If I had a bigger/faster boat, I'd want something better.

SilverBack
11-13-2008, 12:01 PM
I have got dual ram Bennet tabs now and they are way too little and slow is not the word for it. I will have to spend the money on the 380's. I guess that there is no way around it. I am going to have to do the mechanical indicators for the tabs and drive also.

fogducker III
11-13-2008, 12:11 PM
I have an older set of Dana and they seem pretty quick, I know the placement of mine are a bone of contention, but they might do the trick for you at a reasonable price?

http://www.danamarineproducts.com/GroupCatProducts.cfm?CatId=19&group_id=15&page=1&CFID=541125&CFTOKEN=6c80a2-74d4b1d3-1071-475d-8c1b-0a3d7369134d

FISHIN SUCKS
11-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Hey Keith, FWIW, I am with Trues on the K-planes, I love these things, you wont regret it:yes:.

Zel hits it head on. I had Bennets on the old boat and they were okay but nothing like the K's. I realize that they were on different boats, but the bigger tabs are definitely noticeable. Do it right or don't do it at all:smash:. I agree with Grizz as well, take notice of your improvements as you go, do too much at once and you will get lost in your project. She looks great BTW:wink:

SilverBack
11-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks Tom!! It is great to hear from you!!

FISHIN SUCKS
11-13-2008, 06:52 PM
You're just being kind to dumb animals, but thanx my brutha! That has got to be the quietest 800+HP boat with those tips you have, I saw the pix you had up top. Hope I get to see that baby at AOTH 2009:)!!!

SilverBack
11-13-2008, 07:09 PM
You're just being kind to dumb animals, but thanx my brutha! That has got to be the quietest 800+HP boat with those tips you have, I saw the pix you had up top. Hope I get to see that baby at AOTH 2009:)!!!

Thanks Tom...I hope that you see me at AOTH too!!! I am thinking of cutting 5 inches or so off of the tips on the mufflers but I they are great. It still sounds nice but not too loud. You can still hear the blower pretty good though!!

SilverBack
11-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Hey Grizz..I think that I have enough room to just run another set of Bennet tabs with the set that I have got. Is it ok to run 4 trim tabs??:wink:

The Hedgehog
11-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Hey Grizz..I think that I have enough room to just run another set of Bennet tabs with the set that I have got. Is it ok to run 4 trim tabs??:wink:

You are a mad man.

Sorry I have not had the chance to call back. I am on mountain time and up to my neck in bank stuff

SilverBack
11-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Hey man...no problem at all...The job has got to come first. You have 2 Donzi's and a big ole cruiser to support!!

The Hedgehog
11-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Hey man...no problem at all...The job has got to come first. You have 2 Donzi's and a big ole cruiser to support!!

These days I seem to support my insurance guy and you folks in the oil business!:bonk:

Fortunately you oils guys gave me a raise!

I have crunch time tomorrow until noon or so. I will give you a shout when I am doing the airport shuttle. I saved your number.

mjw930
11-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Back to the question at hand, I ran Lenco's for 3 years without a problem but it's pretty obvious that their electro-mechanical operation makes them less reliable in the long run compared to the Bennett. They are faster acting (roughly as fast as K-Planes) and their performance tabs are pretty strong.

I guess I gauge costs differently. $200 on a new ram after a few years isn't even something that would raise an eyebrow. I used to go through that much on parts on an afternoon prop test.

At less than 50% the cost of K-Planes the Lenco's are a very viable alternative. I would consider them.

MOP
11-19-2008, 12:44 PM
I did not read the rest of the posts!!!!!!

But every dealer in my area has dropped Lenco!!!!

In the long run they are KRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Here! http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/hydraulicvselectric.php