PDA

View Full Version : Criterion

Madcow
11-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Found a Criterion for sale. Looks pretty good to me.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979/Donzi-Criterion-1808896/Lake-Tahoe/CA/United-States

gcarter
11-12-2008, 07:04 PM
SBC and Bravo.......

chappy
11-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Is that the same one that's been on boattrader for a year or two?

farmer tx
11-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Don Tamm flew out and seatrialed this boat a couple of months ago.

Lenny
11-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Don Tamm flew out and seatrialed this boat a couple of months ago.

...you all should talk to Don Tamm... I have... it is not "sold" for a reason and he climbed all over it.

zelatore
11-13-2008, 09:47 AM
I'd be interested to hear how the 6.2 performed vs the (I'm guessing) original 454.

I probably wouldn't have picked that motor for that application myself, but I've always thought it would be a good stock-replacement for the older 454 boats. For example, my 32 Carver has a pair of 454 Crusaders; if I were to repower it with gas I'd look at a pair of the new 'big' small blocks just to gain engine room access. I think the only thing I'd loose would be off-idle torque for around the docks manouvers.

sweet 16 1966
11-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Been for sale for some time. So Lenny there must be more to it.

olredalert
11-14-2008, 07:56 AM
------Price was substantially higher for quite awhile. If there are no hidden secrets the price is starting to look pretty attractive. This Critter ought to be worth the ask.......Bill S

lars
11-15-2008, 03:17 AM
...you all should talk to Don Tamm... I have... it is not "sold" for a reason and he climbed all over it.

Please elaborate!:confused:

Cuda
11-15-2008, 04:18 AM
I'd be interested to hear how the 6.2 performed vs the (I'm guessing) original 454.
I probably wouldn't have picked that motor for that application myself, but I've always thought it would be a good stock-replacement for the older 454 boats. For example, my 32 Carver has a pair of 454 Crusaders; if I were to repower it with gas I'd look at a pair of the new 'big' small blocks just to gain engine room access. I think the only thing I'd loose would be off-idle torque for around the docks manouvers.
There is no replacement for displacement. I don't believe a 6.2 will outperform even a 454/330, and even if it does, it will have to work much harder at it.

chappy
11-15-2008, 08:26 AM
I agree that would be a mild performing 22 with the sbc, but it's a sure fire candidate to have a charger put on it, especially since that drive could easily handle the extra hp.

Lenny
11-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Please elaborate!:confused:

It started at 32K a couple years ago...

What makes you think it is still for sale ? ;)

Madcow
11-17-2008, 09:30 PM
How many of these things did they make?

lars
11-17-2008, 11:28 PM
It started at 32K a couple years ago...
What makes you think it is still for sale ? ;)
Spoke to Don Tamm, time wise, after his trip to Tahoe. Didn't know he had been there at that point, since he called me regarding a friend of mine's Howard 23' Offshore. I therefor assumed that Don didn't buy it for some reason. I sent him a PM yesterday. Haven't got an answer yet. Since the broker that listed the Criterion is very good friends with the owner I figured he would stay on top of the listing if it ever sold. I think this could be a nice little cruiser with a blower on the SBC. Of course wouldn't most of us have a BBC Criterion with a Konrad drive as replacement for the original TRS! Well if life was that perfect, We might as well all stop dreaming. :kingme:

zelatore
11-22-2008, 01:45 PM
So I'm looking back at this thread and asking myself: How long ago did Lenny and Don Tamm know John was buying this boat....

I know John confided in me about a day before he posted to the general board; probably because I was busting his chops over not telling us what he had bought on another thread. But I'm thinking there was a conspiracy going on here.

BUIZILLA
11-22-2008, 06:12 PM
when your talking Critter's

there is ALWAYS a conspiracy... :kingme:

Donziweasel
11-22-2008, 06:50 PM
So I'm looking back at this thread and asking myself: How long ago did Lenny and Don Tamm know John was buying this boat....

Tamm doesn't know I bought it yet. As for Lenny, only Lenny knows.:wink:

BlownCrewCab
11-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Does a critter weigh more than a regular 22'? I rode in Tom's smallblock powered 22' at AOTH and it went 65mph with easily 150 gallons of water in the bilge. the water was high enough that the main pulley was starting to fling water around.

Donzi Racer
11-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Does a critter weigh more than a regular 22'? I rode in Tom's smallblock powered 22' at AOTH and it went 65mph with easily 150 gallons of water in the bilge. the water was high enough that the main pulley was starting to fling water around.

That was before you fixed the leak, Mike. I considered it a natural handicap for the stock older 454's to have a chance.ha ha I was a little surprised to see that a 350 cu in. GM could push a classic 22 to 66 mph but after I read what all they did to the motor, it has a few more ponies than stock, so it made more sense. And I just loved the miserly gas consumption. It also handles great with the small block compared to the big block. I can't wait to see how the Weasels small block does with some extra wind. Congrats John, that seems to be lots of Boat for the money. Tom

yeller
11-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Spoke to Don Tamm, time wise, after his trip to Tahoe. Didn't know he had been there at that point, since he called me regarding a friend of mine's Howard 23' Offshore. I love the Howard Offshore. Tough boat to find as not many built. Has Don looked at it?

Donzi Vol
11-23-2008, 12:29 AM
That was before you fixed the leak, Mike. I considered it a natural handicap for the stock older 454's to have a chance.ha ha I was a little surprised to see that a 350 cu in. GM could push a classic 22 to 66 mph but after I read what all they did to the motor, it has a few more ponies than stock, so it made more sense. And I just loved the miserly gas consumption. It also handles great with the small block compared to the big block. I can't wait to see how the Wiesels small block does with some extra wind. Tom

Oh memories...:nilly:

lars
11-23-2008, 04:22 AM
I love the Howard Offshore. Tough boat to find as not many built. Has Don looked at it?
Glad You like the Howard. Don decided to hold off on his boat buying plans, so a trip never took place. Gene Willen, owner of Howard Custom Boats, told me that they only made 12 Howard 23' Offshore. It was early 90's and boat sales were almost as bad as now and by the time the market recovered they were ready with new models like the 28' Bullet and 22' and 25' Offshore models. However I've always liked the 23' Offshore due to its narrow beam and Squadron XII 27' or Magnum 27' Sport look! I share a couple of shots of my friend Steve's boat and the last two of a sisterboat and the only twin outboard 23' Offshore made.