PDA

View Full Version : Getting there... with help..?

fogducker III
11-11-2008, 08:33 AM
So I got the 1:50 gear set installed, received the Hardin/Mayfair steering system as well as the drive shower in the mail yesterday and started to put it together yesterday afternoon.

One of the first steps was to remove the four upper studs that hold the upper gear case to the gimbal housing and replace them with the longer ones supplied in the kit. Well I take out my trusty stud removing tool and a ratchet and proceed to remove the first stud, it comes out great but on the last spin of the ratchet I hit the tip of the plastic stop check valve that stops the flow of gear oil from the resovoir to the lower leg, it breaks clean off.....:shocking:

So I make some panic calls to all THREE of the local Mercury parts places, it was almost closing time and Tuesday being a holiday I thought I was screwed.....:frown: None of the shops had the replacement valve and some didn't even know what I was refering to! On top of that, one place was nice enough to inform me that I had to remove the gimbal pins, shift linkage, bellows ring etc to get to the valve from the inside to replace it!!!

Well as a last resort I phoned an old friend who long ago use to be in the marine business on the off chance he knew where I could source a replacement valve, "Sure he said, come on over and I will dig one up........"

I get there and from a back storage shed he pulls out a dirt and dust covered Bravo gimbal housing and with a set of needlenose pliers pulls the valve out the FRONT of the housing......... I took it home and pulled the pieces of the old valve out the front of the housing and slipped in the new one..........done..:kingme:

Moral of the story, be more careful and never listen to a parts guy at a dealership...:wink:

So after all that I got the upper gear case installed as well as the drive shower and the external parts of the steering kit, looks good so far I think and I must say that the Hardin/Mayfair parts are 100% quality stuff!

What I now need to figure out is where the ram connects to the stern I am suppose to be 17 3/4" from the edge of the gimbal to the otside of the transom bracket where the ram fastens to. Problem is, the trim tab ram interfers with it. If I set it about an inch further over it clears but will this cut down considerably on my steering range?? The other possibility is to make a spacer to bring the transom bracket out a little to clear the trim ram, will that work?

I also have to get hold of the Brazil valve adaptor manifold, I didn't order one at the time of ordering the kit, it was alot extra for what I thought it was, I thought I could source one locally, WRONG! I can not find one other than straight from Hardin, any ideas?

http://www.hardin-marine.com/detail~ID~1150.aspx

Thanks for all the input and advice on this and my other posts, I know it must get boring seeing the same old mods over and over again with guys making the same mistakes....:yes:

PS. My Imco shortie should be here on Wednesday............:)

yeller
11-11-2008, 01:13 PM
What I now need to figure out is where the ram connects to the stern I am suppose to be 17 3/4" from the edge of the gimbal to the otside of the transom bracket where the ram fastens to. Problem is, the trim tab ram interfers with it. If I set it about an inch further over it clears but will this cut down considerably on my steering range?? The other possibility is to make a spacer to bring the transom bracket out a little to clear the trim ram, will that work?Best solution is different size rams. You did exactly what I did, ordered the system without realizing there are different ram lengths available. I have twin ram tabs which cause more interference than your single ram tabs. I sent mine back to CP Performance for a set of their short 8" steering rams (which are the same as others 7" rams). BTW: I paid the shipping back to them, but they covered the shipping of the new rams (and they sent it overnight express).

http://www.cpperformance.com/Instructions/Transom_Bracket.pdf

fogducker III
11-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Before I ordered I figured out the length needed, no way the 5 1/2 would have worked, the 7 would have been right where the trim tab ram was mounted so I went with the 9. The trim ram and the steering ram only just touch when the transom mounting plate was in the EXACT correct spot, I called Hardin Marine and spoke with a very knowledgable guy there and explained the situation, he asked me for all the measurements and then called me back and told me exactly where I could mount it, fits like a charm and no clearance or steering range problem.:)

I was being too picky, there is a small amount of "playing" area for the mounting position. I also, not thinking they would be open today, ordered the Brazil valve straight from Hardin, it should be here Friday and then I can finish the install. Trying now to reach the damn bottom bolt of the steering shutter sleeve..............:nilly: What a PITA.....

yeller
11-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Before I ordered I figured out the length needed...Sorry, I shouldn't have assumed you are as :bonk: as me, that's a major insult. :)

If your tabs were in the usual mounting position, I'm sure you wouldn't have any interference problems. I believe it's only the twin ram tabs that usually interfere.

Glad you got it figured out. You're moving along pretty quick. Took me 1.5yr after I got my setup before I installed it. :boggled:

zelatore
11-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Took me 1.5yr after I got my setup before I installed it. :boggled:

whew! good to know I've still got some time on mine! (I do plan to have it done before Powell at least!)

fogducker III
11-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Its all good Yeller........yes my trim tabs have been a point of discussion, but actually riding in the boat I have seen nor felt anything negative.:wink:

So far everything is mounted and fastened and just need the brazil fitting and I'm good to go, oh ya, and the leg........:eek:

Should be interesting to see what the gear change, steering addition, leg shortening and a bigger prop does.....:confused:

I don't think I will actually notice any difference with the gear shower except avoiding that horrible noise busted gears make........ but it looks good.

PS. Does anybody else get a black and blue bruise across the top of the chest from leaning inside the engine well of the 18's???:frown:

zelatore
11-11-2008, 05:54 PM
PS. Does anybody else get a black and blue bruise across the top of the chest from leaning inside the engine well of the 18's???:frown:

Or 22's, or just about anything....and I'm not even 40 yet! :boggled:

chappy
11-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Think of the poor 16 owners who wrench away.......

fogducker III
11-11-2008, 07:04 PM

Good point, even smaller space to shove half your body into!!!:frown::yes:

The worst thing is missing your step when standing on the trailer rail, the wife thought the Sopranos were on...........:boggled:

onesubdrvr
11-11-2008, 07:11 PM

LOL,.... it won't be a problem on the Crazy Chinese Chicken :D :D

Wayne

Lenny
11-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Jeremy, DonziWeasel will be here with Boo Boo on the 18th and 19th I just found out :(

That requires a Tuesday/Wednesday "off" in order to hook up. They are available for dinner but boating at 5pm is a no no for me (in the pitch black and cold and windy, alone in the ocean)

Are you able to get some time off, or a day ?

Deneen (my wife) will be in Calgary, Alberta on business that week as well so the pedicure/manicure thing and dinner is out for her as she won't be here. :(

Dammnnn

The Hedgehog
11-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Its all good Yeller........yes my trim tabs have been a point of discussion, but actually riding in the boat I have seen nor felt anything negative.:wink:

So far everything is mounted and fastened and just need the brazil fitting and I'm good to go, oh ya, and the leg........:eek:

Should be interesting to see what the gear change, steering addition, leg shortening and a bigger prop does.....:confused:

I don't think I will actually notice any difference with the gear shower except avoiding that horrible noise busted gears make........ but it looks good.

I have had that bruise!

Nice looking project. I did the Mayfair on my 18 and am pleased with the results. I had to order that Brazil valve too.

fogducker III
11-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Jeremy, DonziWeasel will be here with Boo Boo on the 18th and 19th I just found out :(

That requires a Tuesday/Wednesday "off" in order to hook up. They are available for dinner but boating at 5pm is a no no for me (in the pitch black and cold and windy, alone in the ocean)

Are you able to get some time off, or a day ?

Deneen (my wife) will be in Calgary, Alberta on business that week as well so the pedicure/manicure thing and dinner is out for her as she won't be here. :(

Dammnnn

It is what it is I guess Lenny. I should be able to get one of the two days off and will pick the better of the two weather wise to try and take them out, or at least John if his better half does not feel like it, being in the motherly way and all.......

Worst comes to worst we can all hit the Brentwood Inn for some sushi and beer? Or Dunsmuir Lodge?

Ed Donnelly
11-12-2008, 05:09 AM
At the rate you do things, you need to change your handle

Fogducker just doesn't suit you:kingme::kingme:...Ed

fogducker III
11-12-2008, 08:22 AM
At the rate you do things, you need to change your handle

Fogducker just doesn't suit you:kingme::kingme:...Ed

Can you tell the wife that Ed? :yes:

Other than boat stuff she only sees the leaves in the gutters, the build up of parts in the garage and oh ya, the broken door lock she has been asking to have fixed for a year.........:eek:

I tell her at least working on boats keeps me out of the bars, she is not sure which is better, or cheaper..:wink: