PDA

View Full Version : The old Magnum 27 runs!!

mphatc
11-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Well after some serious cleaning, and scrubbing . . and checking over all the wiring, not knowing if some rodent ate portions of it . .

A battery, some old points cleaned off and spark plugs pulled, cylinders lubed . .
long story short, both engines cranked, both engines built oil pressure quickly, and both engines run and run well!
Instruments work, steering has been freed up, and now it's onto some serious service work . .
I plan to replace one bad starter motor, both alternators, change the ignition to something electronic, rebuild both water pumps, new belts etc.
Fuel separators are some ancient pieces, they'll be replaced.

so a few questions . .

who makes a good oil change pump that works? . . . I need to pump them empty once so I can install hoses off the oil pan drain plugs . .

Electronic Ignitions . .
Pertronix
HEI conversion . .or something else?

The steering wheel is wasted, I'd like to install one like the old Donzi's had, who makes those and are they still available?

Chrome plating . . who and at what reasonable prices, does anyone have some leads on this?

This boat has a through hull head, obviously that is being changed, I will install it with a flexible tank . . but as the tank will be further aft than the head, should I install a macerator between the head and the tank?

navigation lights .. mounted beside the windshield , these are partially blocked by other on deck hardware like the air scoops . . I want to mount some flush on the outside at the bow . . has anyone used the new LED lights . . are they bright enough?

Bottom paint . . this boat will be on a mooring in freshwater from May till October.
Recomendations please.

Mario . . . excited for next year!

Trueser
11-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Can we get some pictures with her cleaned up?

HallJ
11-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Mario,
Congratulations it runs!
Welcome to the cool guy club:wink:

As far as the ignition, I put these in my Magnum-

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&lvl=5&prt=1973&action=partSpec&partNumber=750-1710

The original wheel is available from Rex marine- PN 243116 14 inch black SS.

The deck hardware cost me $1400 to re-plate.

If you replace the Nav lights I would be interested in them!

Enjoy,

Jeff

HallJ
11-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Also looks like you have Chris-Craft engines. It has the good LT-1 intakes!

It also looks like someone removed the first bulkhead in front of the gas tanks?

What pitch are the props?

Jeff

Conquistador_del_mar
11-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Well after some serious cleaning, and scrubbing . . and checking over all the wiring, not knowing if some rodent ate portions of it . .

A battery, some old points cleaned off and spark plugs pulled, cylinders lubed . .
long story short, both engines cranked, both engines built oil pressure quickly, and both engines run and run well!
Instruments work, steering has been freed up, and now it's onto some serious service work . .
I plan to replace one bad starter motor, both alternators, change the ignition to something electronic, rebuild both water pumps, new belts etc.
Fuel separators are some ancient pieces, they'll be replaced.

so a few questions . .

who makes a good oil change pump that works? . . . I need to pump them empty once so I can install hoses off the oil pan drain plugs . .

Electronic Ignitions . .
Pertronix
HEI conversion . .or something else?

The steering wheel is wasted, I'd like to install one like the old Donzi's had, who makes those and are they still available?

Chrome plating . . who and at what reasonable prices, does anyone have some leads on this?

This boat has a through hull head, obviously that is being changed, I will install it with a flexible tank . . but as the tank will be further aft than the head, should I install a macerator between the head and the tank?

navigation lights .. mounted beside the windshield , these are partially blocked by other on deck hardware like the air scoops . . I want to mount some flush on the outside at the bow . . has anyone used the new LED lights . . are they bright enough?

Bottom paint . . this boat will be on a mooring in freshwater from May till October.
Recomendations please.

Mario . . . excited for next year!

Congratulations, Mario! After sitting for 11 or so years, that is good news. Did you have to change out the gas? I sort of hate to hear that you are considering antifoul paint. Post some more pictures as you get along with it if you would - I always like to see the progress. Bill

mphatc
11-11-2008, 08:09 AM
some quick shots, after a wash and scrub . . I'll be able to save a portion of the upholstery . . drives seat is undamaged, and rear cushion is perfect.
Yes the bulkhead was removed, but needs to go back in, as it has effected the deck . . rear stanchion puts too much load on the unsupported deck. and the middle stachion is too far forward. I'll move that when I do the wood inlay . .
HallJ, your chrome looks good! Your scoops are like the Donzi scoops, mine are taller. I have no handrails . . . . is the Vee windshield boat supposed to have hand rails?
The black sides are Imron, so a wetsand and buff is on order . .the name has to go!
Bill, please elaborate on your antifouling paint thoughts. I've used all sorts of self ablative paints that are as smooth as gelcoat with a lower friction coefficient . . . . .just not in white.
Engines are supposed to be 350 hp 350 cu in from a Corvette . . ? In time I'll figure that out as well. they both started on the 11+ year old fuel . . neither carb had float or needle seat issues. I suspect this fuel will burn off well, as both tanks are full! and getting rid of 140 gallons of old gas in fuel injected cars is difficult.
Props are a 21 pitch Nibral.
I also need to find a pump for the trim tabs, that was stolen while in storage 11 years ago.
Mario

zimm17
11-11-2008, 12:12 PM
As for the oil changer pump- this is the best one I've found. I've done about 10 oil changes with it. Heavy duty, holds suction, and even pulls cold 50w oil out. Assemble the hose, put it in, pump it up, and have a beer while it works. Holds only 5 quarts, but shuts off automatically when full- usually takes me two goes to get all of it out.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/268534/377%20710/0/oil%20change/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=oil%20change&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=oil%20change&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=6&subdeptNum=169&classNum=170

superhatz
11-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Pretty sweet Mario.....:)

The very early boats had the taller scoops.....don't see them too often.

HallJ....you have hull #121 right?

mphatc
11-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Poodle,

I need an economic bailout . . send me two sets of SS manifolds . . prices only please, and remember, I need to be frugal, Linda doesn't know of this boat, and I don''t want to sell the Corsican! and I want to keep my wife . . .

Mario

Conquistador_del_mar
11-11-2008, 01:24 PM
some quick shots, after a wash and scrub . . I'll be able to save a portion of the upholstery . . drives seat is undamaged, and rear cushion is perfect.
Yes the bulkhead was removed, but needs to go back in, as it has effected the deck . . rear stanchion puts too much load on the unsupported deck. and the middle stachion is too far forward. I'll move that when I do the wood inlay . .
HallJ, your chrome looks good! Your scoops are like the Donzi scoops, mine are taller. I have no handrails . . . . is the Vee windshield boat supposed to have hand rails?
The black sides are Imron, so a wetsand and buff is on order . .the name has to go!
Bill, please elaborate on your antifouling paint thoughts. I've used all sorts of self ablative paints that are as smooth as gelcoat with a lower friction coefficient . . . . .just not in white.
Engines are supposed to be 350 hp 350 cu in from a Corvette . . ? In time I'll figure that out as well. they both started on the 11+ year old fuel . . neither carb had float or needle seat issues. I suspect this fuel will burn off well, as both tanks are full! and getting rid of 140 gallons of old gas in fuel injected cars is difficult.
Props are a 21 pitch Nibral.
I also need to find a pump for the trim tabs, that was stolen while in storage 11 years ago.
Mario

Mario,
Applying antifoul paint is pretty much a one way street. If you can trailer or use a hydro-hoist, I would highly recommend going that route. My 1971 18' Donzi originally came with the same engine package - the LT1 - which was a Chris Craft marinized 350CID/350Hp engine. If they are original, they will have an 11:1 compression ratio and have cast iron heads - too much compression for today's octane and the valves need leaded gasoline. You could run leaded racing fuel, but the cost will eat your lunch. Maybe they have had the heads worked? If the old gas in the boat is still good, it might be racing fuel - it has a different smell to it than regular gasoline. It looks like you have the Boat Leveler trim tabs. I still have the system from my 1971 project with a working pump if you need one. It sounds like you will be driving your boat soon - cool! Bill

HallJ
11-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Pretty sweet Mario.....:)

The very early boats had the taller scoops.....don't see them too often.

HallJ....you have hull #121 right?

I don't remember what the number was. I was hoping you did!

Jeff

superhatz
11-11-2008, 01:35 PM
I don't remember what the number was. I was hoping you did!

Jeff

It's #121 or #171......

Conquistador_del_mar
11-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Poodle,

I need an economic bailout . . send me two sets of SS manifolds . . prices only please, and remember, I need to be frugal, Linda doesn't know of this boat, and I don''t want to sell the Corsican! and I want to keep my wife . . .

Mario

Mario,
With all the time that you have been spending on the new Magnum, be careful that your wife doesn't suspect something more than just a boat - lol. Bill

mphatc
11-11-2008, 03:29 PM
That's not a problem . . . she trusts me there! . . so far I have only been telling her I'm working on the boat . . little does she know the Donzi is together and complete:)

Mario

olredalert
11-11-2008, 03:35 PM
------Mario,,,Looks good, muchacho!!! If you root around thru some GM parts books you will come upon some bigger chamber heads that will bring your compression down. Get the part# and then look for them used..........Bill S

mphatc
11-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Bill,

You're just trying to get your hands on some Corvette performance parts:wink: It ain't happening!

If the heads are the small chamber heads and the CR is really 11:1 I'll tune it to run on a mix with 93 Octane and race gas using a portable knock sensor . .:yes:
I'm not giving up HP . . .:)
My Corsican has 10.5:1 CR . . w/o any problems.

Conquistador_del_mar, The other Bill . . .
The boat has a sloppy coat of black bottom paint now, this will be coming off, and where it will be on a mooring is crystal clear water, calm and secure. . storing at a marina is way to pricey . . I can spend that on race gas instead . . which I get at extremely good prices in my business . .

Mario

HallJ
11-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Mario,

Check the serial no of your engines, should be as follows:

350 HP at the crank to serial # 611026 @ 11.0:1 compression 5800 RPM

320 HP at the crank after serial # 611027 @ 9.0:1 compression 5600 RPM

You could also pull a valve cover and check the casting number. This will tell you the combustion camber size.

Someone may have changed the heads over the years.

I believe the 11:1 motor has solid lifters as well.

Jeff

mphatc
11-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Jeff,

Thank you I'll check that this weekend . . :wrench: I was told that the engines were replaced in 1995 . . and only have 50 hours use. That these were two brand new 350 hp 350s that were acquired unpainted and unrusted . .

Everything else the seller told me has proven to be true, this is the last riddle . . :crossfing::crossfing:

Mario

BUIZILLA
11-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Jeff,

Thank you I'll check that this weekend . . :wrench: I was told that the engines were replaced in 1995 . . and only have 50 hours use. That these were two brand new 350 hp 350s that were acquired unpainted and unrusted . .

Everything else the seller told me has proven to be true, this is the last riddle . . :crossfing::crossfing:

Mario350-350 are L79 hydraulics... a very good choice actually, but they never had 11-1 pop

Conquistador_del_mar
11-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Mario,

Check the serial no of your engines, should be as follows:

350 HP at the crank to serial # 611026 @ 11.0:1 compression 5800 RPM

320 HP at the crank after serial # 611027 @ 9.0:1 compression 5600 RPM

You could also pull a valve cover and check the casting number. This will tell you the combustion camber size.

Someone may have changed the heads over the years.

I believe the 11:1 motor has solid lifters as well.

Jeff

Jeff,
My 1971 Donzi came with engine serial number 611131, but was the 350HP with a solid lift cam so I am confused by the numbers that you show. Bill

HallJ
11-12-2008, 08:28 AM
That's because I screwed it up. Check it out:

Jeff

Craig S
11-12-2008, 08:52 AM
That was interesting that they apparently used the Z-28 engines in the Transdrive applications...I guess on the XK-19 only and I guess only in '69 and '70?