PDA

View Full Version : Yikes! rare race car found..... and sold for big $

gold-n-rod
11-10-2008, 06:16 AM
Cool story:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110306170567&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

BUIZILLA
11-10-2008, 06:47 AM
and the original aluminum front end doesn't come with it... :nilly: :bonk:

f_inscreenname
11-10-2008, 02:50 PM
I think he got his "$100.00" a pound and then some.
$226,521.63 and not from a zero bidder either.:eek:

ky-donzi
11-10-2008, 03:03 PM
If I read it correctly the car originally had a buy-it-now for 4000.00!!!!!! now that's funny

f_inscreenname
11-10-2008, 03:38 PM
I bet him and the brother-in-law are about giddy right now.:yes:

olredalert
11-10-2008, 05:36 PM
-----New Yawker bought it but it will get restored right here in Michigan. Original aluminum front end is reportedly coming back to roost as well as possibly the original rear and original top end of the SD engine. It will still be a $150,000 resto. Welcome to the world of rare cars. The only other existing coupe (out of six) changed hands a couple of years back for $700,000 ("reportedly" again).........Bill S

Tony
11-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Here's my favorite line:

THERE IS STUFF IN THE TRUNK (I PEEKED FROM BACK SEAT)LOOKS LIKE UNDERHOOD PARTS (HOPE IT'S NOT HOFFA)

:beer:

mrfixxall
11-11-2008, 10:29 AM
I know where theirs another one sitting thats a drag car with a 421 with ram air v heade and 2x4 ford toploader tranny & 58 pont rear diff since day one,he also has the oe 326 and the oe trans axle diff that came from the car...Hmmmm wonder what that would bring???

cutwater
11-11-2008, 11:15 AM
I know where theirs another one sitting thats a drag car with a 421 with ram air v heade and 2x4 ford toploader tranny & 58 pont rear diff since day one,he also has the oe 326 and the oe trans axle diff that came from the car...Hmmmm wonder what that would bring???

Uhh... Probably not much, PM me where it's at and I'll let you know in a few weeks :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

mphatc
11-11-2008, 06:32 PM
This car went onto the email list and website "bringatrailer"

and from another forum I heard that someone informed the seller of what he had.

The Bring a trailer website has circulation to all the right collectors . .and it's cool AM reading with your cup of coffee before work.

Mario

mrfixxall
11-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Uhh... Probably not much, PM me where it's at and I'll let you know in a few weeks :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

In addison il, the guys name is jerry... i painted it for him years back and its been sitting in the garage. the cars nick name was wardance.thats all im givin:biggrin.:

Also i forgot to mention he also has a 67 gto with a inline 6 cyl with a factory Q-jet 4v and 4 on the floor..

RickSE
11-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Here's my rare find for the year.

As some of you know I own a 1965 Oldsmobile f-85 factory 4-speed wagon that my dad bought new in early 65'. A few months ago I managed to stumble across another 65' 4-speed Olds wagon, same color as my father's car but with different options. Both cars are Forrest Green, my dad's built in Lansing with the correct "L" code 4-speed vin tag and the other a Fremont built car. The new wagon is all original and all there, although the skins are a little beat up; manual steering, manual brakes, Muncie 4-speed, remote mirror, deluxe seat belts, 2-speed wipers. I'm starting the resto on my dad's car next year and will probably have to let the other one sit for a few years. At least I have plenty of spare parts now although I won't part out the new car.

olredalert
11-14-2008, 09:00 PM
------Rick,,,My neighbor also has a dark green 65 Cutlass wagon (non-roof model) with 21,000 original miles. It is one of the nicest original cars I have ever laid my eyes on and I have been in the vintage car business one way or another for almost 40 years. It isnt a 4-speed, so I would count yours as way rarer, but it is so crispy. Has a two-tone green interior that looks like its never been sat in. I like your 'vert too.......Bill S

RickSE
11-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Bill, thats cool. Both of these cars will go back to original, colors, interior, trim etc. One will probably be modified to a 442 Clone with a healthy 400 Olds, but be done as if it was original in 65'. I was originally going to modify my dad's car but since his has more documentation I'll probably leave it alone and mod the other car now. My dad put 64' 442 emblems on his car in 65' and it's been this way ever since.

These cars are really fun to drive with the 4-speed and can surprise a lot of people on the street.

The convertible is my wife's daily driver, in original color and trim.

Donzi Vol
11-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Hey guys,

I hate to to hijack this thread, but noticing your knowledge of classic cars, I could really use a little help. I've been on NADA classic cars and have gotten some quotes, but I wouldn't mind an opinion from you all of what I have. Anybody know what the value would be of this vehicle? (sorry, I have no pictures...yet):

1977 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 2 seat Wagon
350 V8
Factory installed Hvy Duty towing package
Factory installed Hvy Duty transmission
New Hvy Duty Radiator
Woodgrain sides (some imperfections)
62,000 original miles, nearly mint.
History of the car: Belonged to my grandfather who has recently left us peacefully for the next life. He bought it new to tow a 26' Norris camper trailer. After the late-80's they parked the trailer and didn't use the wagon much (hince the 62k miles). However, he was a car and engine buff, so he knew that it was important to drive it once or twice a week. She cranks right up after a couple pumps, and that 350 sounds sooooo sweet!

Any advice would be much appreciated as we are trying to part with some of his belongings that we just simply don't have a use or place for.

Thanks in advance,
David

olredalert
11-15-2008, 06:04 PM
-------David,,,Not much desireability from a collector standpoint but I am one of those nutcases that loves long-roofs (got 4 at the moment). I watch E-bay all the time for wagons and if I had to put a brutally honest figure on your wagon I would tell you $2500/3000. You never know what might happen on the right day on E-bay, however. Two people who want the same thing can skew an outcome to your benefit. On the other hand that may never happen as it seems that not a lot of people are looking for this vintage at the moment. PM me the statistics with the color and interior color and a pic or two if you have a chance. I can always use anotherL/R. Hope I have helped.........Bill S

Donzi Vol
11-15-2008, 07:30 PM
-------David,,,Not much desireability from a collector standpoint but I am one of those nutcases that loves long-roofs (got 4 at the moment). I watch E-bay all the time for wagons and if I had to put a brutally honest figure on your wagon I would tell you $2500/3000. You never know what might happen on the right day on E-bay, however. Two people who want the same thing can skew an outcome to your benefit. On the other hand that may never happen as it seems that not a lot of people are looking for this vintage at the moment. PM me the statistics with the color and interior color and a pic or two if you have a chance. I can always use anotherL/R. Hope I have helped.........Bill S

Bill,

Thanks for your help/input. If I get a chance I'll get some pictures for you. I have to say, though, that NADA and a car buff that I've been talking to (who might be interested) both came up with much higher figures. It's all greek to me, though.

Thanks,
David

olredalert
11-16-2008, 08:08 AM
-----David,,,I wish you the very last dollar if you choose to sell. I did say brutally honest and my collector car buds know I err on the side of cheapness. That being said, Thats what I see out there for real sales. Good luck!!!.........Bill S

Donzi Vol
11-16-2008, 12:32 PM
-----David,,,I wish you the very last dollar if you choose to sell. I did say brutally honest and my collector car buds know I err on the side of cheapness. That being said, Thats what I see out there for real sales. Good luck!!!.........Bill S

Thanks, Bill. I appreciate the help. I'll let you know what happens...if anything:crossfing:

Take care,
David

dfunde01
11-16-2008, 01:21 PM
It is the real deal. The only one recovered from the original 6 factory 421 CID drag cars.

http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579097

gold-n-rod
11-16-2008, 04:40 PM
It is the real deal. The only one recovered from the original 6 factory 421 CID drag cars.
http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579097

Thanks, Dave, for the link to addl. info. What a great story. Scott Tiemann is located in Tony's neck of the woods and not far from me. I'd love to see it under restoration.