PDA

View Full Version : Trim sending unit?

fogducker III
11-09-2008, 06:15 PM
So after doing some more important work on the boat I started to look at the trim/tilt sending unit...........the gauge is getting power but the signal is "spiking" the gauge...........so I tracked it back and it appears there is no usual trim sending unit mounted on the gimbal ring mounting bolt nor wiring through the transom...???

Is there a secondary way of mounting these units? Or is there a different system? I was hoping to not have to pull the leg, gimbal and re-routing the wiring? It is nice to have the gauge and have it set up properly so you don't have to look back to see where your wake is right...?

I am not sure what they were thinking when they set this up??? On each side of the gimbal ring there is a stainless "washer" that is threaded inside? Not familar with that set-up for the trim sending unit and the trim/tilt limiting units that are normally mounted there? Usually they mount to two screw holes and a cog/cam set up inside that "spins" the sending units??? Enlighten me...........:frown:

harbormaster
11-09-2008, 06:36 PM
There are manual trim cables that clamp to the trim rams but the setup is about 500 bucks...
Can you post a photo of you transom assembly so I can see it?

fogducker III
11-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks Scott, I will take a pic or two now, what confuses me is the gauge getting a signal but I am not sure where it is getting the signal from?

fogducker III
11-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Had a good look at it, doesn't seem to be wird to anything??

doug hess
11-09-2008, 07:47 PM
I gave up on the mid season failure of the senders and the annual replacement hassel of removing gimbal pivots, etc. I mount the sender and switch with the leads coming out the rear side. Then route the cables up the back of the outer gimbel ,secured with cable ties, to where they join and through a hole the transom above the water line. My Ragazza has a Euro style swim platform so no one really see this the set up.

harbormaster
11-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Looks similar to the stainless pins on Bravo HP transom assemblies. They are stronger because they have no threads o strip out.
I will show it to the tech at the office and get his opinion.

harbormaster
11-10-2008, 05:36 AM
Thats right poodle. The work like a fuel gauge

BUIZILLA
11-10-2008, 06:52 AM
you have the heavy duty gimble...
this is what happens with the light duty gimble..

Trueser
11-10-2008, 07:14 AM
He does not have the trim indicator / limit ****ch mounted. This boat drive,Gimbal and motor were swapped out correct.

I think your going to need a manual indicator from Harbormaster...

fogducker III
11-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Yes my unit was swapped out and I guess they didn't bother putting the trim sending or trim limit switches or wiring back in place. I will unhook the wiring at the gauge as suggested, not sure if I can justify the cost of an external system.....:frown:

Buizilla ---- Ouch!!! I did similar with an Alpha drive, trim limit switch did not work and we swapped an Alpha Gen II upper and lower onto a Gen I gimball, had to shave down a couple of spots and change the shift linkage but it worked fine until I trimed it up to trailer it and the gimbal ring snapped in half!!!:shocking:

zelatore
11-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Hey Buiz, where you there when that drive set sail? I'm betting that made for all sorts of exciting moments! :shocking:

BUIZILLA
11-10-2008, 11:04 AM
the passenger didn't make out too good...

Trueser
11-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks I just finished lunch