PDA

View Full Version : LED trailer lights worth it?

yeller
11-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Seems every time I hook up the boat trailer, one of the lights is not working. The submersible ones don't seem to last any longer than standard tail-lights. Do LED lights hold up better to being submerged and last longer?

SilverBack
11-08-2008, 07:50 PM
I love mine but I have not had the trailer long enough to be able to tell you if they are worth it.

Trueser
11-08-2008, 09:28 PM
They are worth every penny..

Barry Eller
11-09-2008, 06:28 AM
The next time I replace my light assemblies, I'll get LEDS.

Are you unplugging your lights before putting them in the water? Hot bulbs don't like water...:wink:

LKSD
11-09-2008, 07:41 AM
The LED's are definitely worth doing. THey also put up to shock & vibration better, not to mention the elements... :) Jamie

osur866
11-09-2008, 07:53 AM
They are worth every penny..
Agreed! Steve

Trueser
11-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Never unlpug when putting in the water.

They also help you when pulling out at night.

Dr. Dan
11-09-2008, 08:25 AM
:angel:I am currently getting my 2004 Trailer completley rebuilt by the manufacturer - Performance Custom Trailer out of Lake George NY. As a point of info. I have LED's on the Trailer and I have between 80,000 and 100,000 miles on the Rig. I have never had a light issue.

I have at least a half dozen or more buddies who also have the same Trailer...all with LED's and no issues.

For whatever its worth - I would put a Performance Trailer up against any MYCO, or any other manufacture - for a Metal Trailer and I highly recommend Torsion Axles and Disc Brakes - there isn't a better Custom Manufacture on the Planet. Now he is not always on schedule - but no one can argue Bill's Crew puts the Nuts & Bolts in the right place.... also any size Boat or any make.

Danny the Cardiac Kid :wink:

zimm17
11-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Yup LED's are the way to go. They don't get hot so don't blow when water hit 'em.

I keep losing my front ambers on the fender, but that's because the lawn mower hits it... so they're not mower proof

Donzigo
11-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Definitely the best way to go............no issues.

Barry Eller
11-09-2008, 10:17 AM
For whatever its worth - I would put a Performance Trailer up against any MYCO, or any other manufacture

I have a Performance Trailer, I did have to move the axles back to get more tongue weight and still don't have enough. It floated badly when I first got it and I had to add weights to the cypress bunks to sink it. I'll add weight to the tongue like I did to the bunks to get more weight on the hitch. But overall it is a well built piece of equipment.

BUIZILLA
11-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Barry, your Performance trailer is from a St Pete, a now out of business manufacturer, not the same as Dan's builder...

DonziJon
11-09-2008, 10:26 AM
I have a Performance Trailer, I did have to move the axles back to get more tongue weight and still don't have enough. It floated badly when I first got it and I had to add weights to the cypress bunks to sink it. I'll add weight to the tongue like I did to the bunks to get more weight on the hitch. But overall it is a well built piece of equipment.

OMG: Is that a Bimini on that Donzi Classic.:nilly::nilly: Oh the Hunanities! John

Donzigo
11-09-2008, 11:12 AM
I also have a performance trailer from St. Pete. the father son team who owned the company until the last guys bought it were nice to do business with. They didn't build a superior trailer when compared to Rolls or other premium builders; but, it is plenty strong. The folks who bought the company tried to make it into a huge mass produced operation. They moved it from the small property to a huge building in an industrial complex. I needed a few parts to re-build my trailer and I couldn't beleive how big the place was. Their break even number must have been exponentially massive. In short, they tried to grow too fast. It's too bad; because, they had a good product for the money.

When you examine what goes into building trailers, it would appear that almost anyone could build one, if they had the tools and avaialilty to the aluminium. There's not much to them. I have disassembled my Scout & Donzi Z-33 trailers both to the axles and re-built them. It's heavy back breaking work; but, it's not beyond the abilities of most of the tech-no-crats on this board.

Dr. Dan
11-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Performance Custom Trailers is out of Lake George New York and a completely different company than the one Barry has. Bills trailers are full custum and not generic Cypress Bunk Trailers.

The bunks are all custom fit to whatever hull its designed to fit. :shades:

Danny :wink:

yeller
11-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks as if I'll have to give LED's a try.

FISHIN SUCKS
11-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Okay, so where's the best place to buy these LED lights?