PDA

View Full Version : Quick Help from anyone with 22ZX not put away yet

kramsay1234
11-07-2008, 04:34 PM
I would appreciate if someone with a 22ZX could do me a favour and measure between the two bolts that hold in the slide on the front seats with the handle on it to move the seat back and forth. An apologetic passenger didn't know how it worked and broke the handle right off so I have to buy the whole slide piece with the teeth on it that has the handle included. It somes from Springfield Marine, but they are asking me to measure between the two bolts that hold it on and see if its is 10 1/2 inches. If so, they will know what to send me. My boat was put away last week so I can't get at it to measure. Here is a pic of the piece I need. I took the pic before putting the boat away to send to Donzi figuring this is all they would need. You will see the two bolts I am talking about. Thanks for the help. Kevin.

rtgogo
11-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Mines in storage for the season, but I'm goin down next week and need to take a few measurements myself for some winter projects. I'll let ya know if I make it down and someone else hasn't already gotten to it for you.

kramsay1234
11-08-2008, 09:18 PM
That would be great. Thank you.

Donzi LG
11-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Kevin, I think I may be albe to help you out. Is that the picture of your broken/missing handle from the slider? I replaced my driver's seat slider just a couple of months ago and I still have the original. It looks from you pic that the handle is snapped off, is that correct? I had to replace mine because the torsion spring that you can see in your photo snapped and the handle mechanism wouldn't stay locked in the place. I think I can take that part off and if you can replace the spring with your original you should be all set. I'm going to find the slider now and I'll post some pics.

John

Donzi LG
11-09-2008, 08:06 PM
OK, bummer I just checked it and the handle unit is pressed in the housing or else you could've used it. As it is now the spring is busted so it won't "lock" into place when necessary. If you can find a replacement spring I'll send this to you Kevin, let me know; it might be cheaper than buying the whole unit. I took a close-up shot of the serial number on my original which looks identical to yours so that should help. I got mine from greatlakesskipper on ebay but I don't see one there now.

I measured the distance between those 2 bolts that hold the handle piece on and they are about 11 1/8" apart, not 10.5 as you mentioned.

John

kramsay1234
11-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks John. Yes that is a picture of the slider with the handle missing (broken shear off so its hard to tell it was ever there)

That is interesting though. Yours is clearly different, albeit the the same basic assembly. My larger handle that you use to loosen and pivot the seat is aluminum and has Springfield written across it, while yours is a black plastic (can't see what it says on it). Did you buy that whole assembly? If I buy the entire bottom bracket from the company you mentioned that would be an option, but am still hoping I can order just the slide with the teeth and handle on it from Springfield.

...I am still shocked that yours is a different...hard to believe. Because its not exactly the same, I am not sure your bolt to bolt measurements will be the same as mine...

Are you saying that if you remove those 2 bolts from the slider, that the whole mechanism doesn't come off the seat bracket base? That would be a bummer if thats the case. Not sure if my spring assembly can be re and re'd onto your base assembly.

Donzi LG
11-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Mine is a Springfield as well, that ebay seller I gave you is a marine store the sells Springfield stuff. Yeah, mine looks slightly different but basically the same. I can see now where the handle on yours sheared off. If you remove those 2 bolts (10mm) around the black rubber that you can see in your picture the slider handle mechanism WILL come right off separate from the rest of the seat base. That sucks because if it weren't for the broken spring it looks like it might have worked.

kramsay1234
11-10-2008, 07:11 AM
ok - that is really helpful. I guess if your spring wasn't broken, you would be using that seat base...

It is very possible if I get a closer look at the spring assembly that my spring might be able to be fitted on yours to make it all work again so that is a good option to have.

I hope someone else chimes in with a measurement as well, but I am going to provide the info from you to springfield as a start and see if it gets me going.

fasttrucker
11-10-2008, 11:50 AM
This would be a great time for you to change out the seats.You know frank put in bolster seats in his 22zx.They looked great I was thinking about doing it too, but wife wants bigger boat and Iam looking at selling my 22zx.

kramsay1234
11-10-2008, 01:00 PM
I don't mind the seats, although those bolsters did look good. I run on calm water so bolsters aren't needed for me. Especially when all I am looking for is a $50ish dollar part or less.

But while you are at it, can you measure the distance between the bolts on your passenger seat bottom and snap a pic or two?

Sorry to hear about your drive. I did that years ago pulling my old boat out of the water without the drive trimmed to trailer. Some prop damage and some skeg scratches was all I suffered on it though.

brwn234
11-10-2008, 10:20 PM
My seats were really wobley and I was unhappy with them but couldnt even consider buying bolsters. So I bought some 3/8" alluminum plate and made plate for the seat to rest on in between the slider platform and the seat bottom. I think it was 13" x 13", not 100% sure though. Bought some SS bolts and through bolted everything together. Really made everything feel alot better. Doesnt really help you with your post but I thought it might be something you'd be interested in.

kramsay1234
11-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Sounds interesting. Perhaps some pics of that whenever you can. Sounds like you are saying that the way the seat bracket bolts through the upholstry of the seat and into the seat frame isn't all that sturdy and has some play. I would tend to agree with that. I had someone heavy in my passenger seat one time and they didn't have their feet on the ground to keep the weight distributed and it looked like the seat was going to bend over and snap.

My seats were really wobley and I was unhappy with them but couldnt even consider buying bolsters. So I bought some 3/8" alluminum plate and made plate for the seat to rest on in between the slider platform and the seat bottom. I think it was 13" x 13", not 100% sure though. Bought some SS bolts and through bolted everything together. Really made everything feel alot better. Doesnt really help you with your post but I thought it might be something you'd be interested in.

kramsay1234
11-11-2008, 10:21 AM
If anyone with a 1999 is able to measure that same piece for me it would be great. In talking with the manufacturer, they made many small changes to that part over the years so they said the best way is to measure my own. They are claiming it should be 10 1/2". I don't think that is a bolt hole to bolt hole meaurement, but likely the length of the slider piece with the teeth in it. Looking at the pic of the one they stock for replacement that they sent me, it has 17 teeth in it the same as John's does. And because John's measurement bolt hold to bolt hole wasn't much over 10 1/2" I am pretty sure that they are the same. If I can't get a 1999 owner to measure then I guess I will just wait for spring time and measure mine to be sure which is no big deal. Thanks everyone for your help, and at least if anyone else has this problem, they know they can order the replacement part. They said its only $5.00, so if they are right, it wasn't a costly mistake by my friend. If it wasn't for the shipping to Canada, I would just buy it anyway at that price. Kevin.