PDA

View Full Version : trade's welcome!

zelatore
11-07-2008, 02:49 PM
We've got a client who's thinking of moving into one of our new Carvers 35's. Unfortunatly, he's got a trade....the typical un-used, un-loved, left-in-salt-water-for-years beater. Here's the quickie analisys of it I did as a possible trade:

^^^^^^^^^^
Trish,

I took a brief look at the 26 foot Rinker in our marina. It’s ROUGH!

I’d estimate it hasn’t been out of the water in 5 years. The outdrive, gimble housing, and transom assembly would all have to be replaced. I can’t see enough of it under the growth to be sure what drive it is for sure, but call that a quick $10000 in parts alone, and 3 or 4 days work for Mark.

I’m sure the batteries are bad. Figure $200 for new bats and an hour work.

All the exterior upholstery is shot. Figure $3000 to redo it all plus a day to remove/replace it.

The interior is pretty trashed as well; there have been water leaks. I don’t think we can save it without gutting the thing, but we could at least give it a serious cleaning with a steam machine. Figure $100 in parts/cleaners and a day or two work for Billy.

I don’t know what shape the engine is in. I know the last time it went out it had to be towed back. That could likely be because there was so much growth on the drive that no cooling water came in and it overheated. At a minimum, figure a day’s work just inspecting and repairing odds and ends, plus maybe another $100 in misc parts.

The exterior will need a full detailing. Call that 2 days work and $50 materials

So in 5 minutes looking at the boat I’ve come up with a rough estimate of $13,250 in parts and 80 hrs labor.

Oh, and we’d need bring a trailer down from Bethel, tow the boat over to the ramp and winch it on, then take it up to BI. Figure that’s another 6 hrs work

The boat’s a ’92. It has no electronics, canvas, or anchor/windlass. You might ask $15K and get $12K.

^^^^^^^^

(and you know there's more wrong with it than meets the eye - I just remembered I didn't include painting and zincing the bottom - there's a couple hundred more bucks + a day's labor)

Sweet, eh? And I'm sure the guy will want $10-$20K for it anyway...:bonk:

Let's see, we give him $10K for it, then spend $20-$25K fixing it up, then sell it for $12K. I'm no math wiz, but something doesn't add up there.

Wait! I know! We'll make it up in volume!

zelatore
11-07-2008, 02:51 PM
In reviewing my own pics above, I realized I forgot to include the value of the sweeeeet mushroom anchor in the deal! That makes it all worth while!

gold-n-rod
11-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Damn shame that someone let that boat go to hell. The outdrive is freaking amazing. Never seen one like that. Maybe Sea World would like it for habitat!!!

I don't know your market, but here (and now) I see that as a $7500 boat..... repaired..... :shocking:..... on a good day!

Ghost
11-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Wait! I know! We'll make it up in volume!

"We're not going to give you 2000 nickels for a hundred unless that meets your particular change need." :)

BUIZILLA
11-07-2008, 03:12 PM
if the trader is smart, they will donate it to charity, and take the full used book value as a write off.....

zelatore
11-07-2008, 03:18 PM
I don't think any of the charities around here will take it in that condition; they've gotten picky about that sort of junk.

I haven't booked it - you might be right about $7500 :eek:

cutwater
11-07-2008, 03:26 PM
I don't think any of the charities around here will take it in that condition; they've gotten picky about that sort of junk.

I haven't booked it - you might be right about $7500 :eek:

I hate to say it, but $7500 is generous. Boats like this can sit on craigslist for a while...

RedDog
11-08-2008, 09:15 AM
So if he gets the 35 Carver, what is it going to look like in a few years? Maybe this guy shouldn't have a boat!

zelatore
11-08-2008, 06:11 PM
So if he gets the 35 Carver, what is it going to look like in a few years? Maybe this guy shouldn't have a boat!

I've had a few clients who probably shouldn't have a boat.

But (and especially in these times) it's all about the color of their money!

Funny thing is, I ususally spend anywhere from an hour to 4 hours doing a 'walk-through' on boat systems on a new boat. I know it's overload for a lot of them, and some have even video-taped me (ugh!) but at least most of them are interested. But some are like 'just give me the keys!'.