PDA

View Full Version : DIRTY PIPES...What do you use?

FISHIN SUCKS
11-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Okay, if Shea (glashole) reads this, I may get some crap, but here goes.

I have always used Flitz metal polish and has always worked like a champ on my old IMCO pipes (the old Blackwidow). However, I am having a helluva time trying to cut though the crud on the starboard bank of each motor in the ZX. I have also tried using Mequiars metal polish but to no avail. Then I tried using Flitz with my grinder-style buffer with a terry cloth pad and that worked a little better but still not getting everything.

In case there is confusion, I am referring to the external exhaust tips (stock for 2002). Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanx, tom

cutwater
11-06-2008, 08:28 PM
I had to use steel wool on mine when I first bought the Minx. Looked like years of carbon buildup. Tried CLR, Simple Green, acetone, etc... nothing. With the steel wool it came off pretty quickly.

BUIZILLA
11-06-2008, 08:31 PM
bronze wool, super fine...

gcarter
11-06-2008, 08:36 PM
I've used fine bronze wool dipped in car polish on grimy, slightly rusty chrome on cars. Does a great job.

SilverBack
11-06-2008, 09:23 PM
The Leverage metal serum works very good!! You can get it from Jim at Top Notch Performance Marine. He is a sponsor of this site also.

Ed Donnelly
11-07-2008, 02:20 AM
Never dull cleans it up pretty good..Ed

RedDog
11-07-2008, 06:38 AM
Brass-O from the grocery or hardware store

tmdog
11-07-2008, 06:44 AM
Leverage Metal Serum with bronze wool. Flitz is at the bottom of my list. Leverage has cleaned and shined metals better than anything in my shop. Other than the bench buffer.

VetteLT193
11-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Never dull cleans it up pretty good..Ed

I agree... usually my first step at least when polishing because it isn't abrasive and it seems to self dissolve some of the junk on the metal.

Other than that, it's a freaking crap shoot. MAAS works like Flitz does but sometimes one is better than the other.

I think I'm going to try a kit from eastwood soon to see if I can get the rub rail to polish out. They seem to have great products.

Barry Eller
11-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Tom, just get new exhaust tips...:bonk: and quit being a "Dirty Boy" like me!!!

FISHIN SUCKS
11-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Thanx for the suggestions guys, I will give them a try. I was tempted to use steel wool but I was concerned I would jack up the finish. I realize that unless the boat is on the trailer, no one really see's the pipes. But it's a 'i know it's there' thing.

Carl C
11-07-2008, 08:44 AM
VINEGAR.............Trust me on this. 'Poodle, tell him.

DonziJon
11-07-2008, 09:16 AM
One thing NOT to use on stainless steel is "Steel Wool"..or a "Steel" wire brush. It WILL do the job, but tarnishing or even mild rusting will occur (on the SS) afterward because "Steel" leaves carbon behind which will react with the SS and leave rust.

Look for a "Scotchbrite" buffing wheel and put it on your portable electric drill. This will even take "Brushed SS" and make it look like chrome. John

EDIT: "Stainless Steel Wool" or a soft "Stanless Steel Wirebrush" works nicely and will not tarnish or cause rust on stainless steel. After welding stainless steel, a SS wire brush is used to clean up the weld site.

mattyboy
11-07-2008, 09:32 AM
dirty pipes use one of these :tongue:

glashole
11-07-2008, 09:55 AM
I personally never run into this issue Tom because my opinion is if you don't clean your boat enough these things will happen

take a a little pride in ownership for once will you

I was a little concerned when I first heard about you getting a nice boat like this but ultimately you have proven me right

The idea is maybe if you kept up on these types of things you wouldn't run into these problems

That and stop running cheap gas!

BUIZILLA
11-07-2008, 10:29 AM
scotchbrite WILL scratch stuff..........

FISHIN SUCKS
11-07-2008, 01:38 PM
dirty pipes use one of these :tongue:
Do they make those in XXXXXXL?

Shea, your comments lead me to believe you ARE a Newfie:canada:! Ed, can you confirm this? You gotta believe me, I run nothing but Hi-Test fuel, I have the receipts to prove it:eek::yes:

FISHIN SUCKS
11-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Nice to see someone was paying attention in class...
Just in case anyone wanted to know or didn't try it, the VINEGAR trick worked like a champ. Thanx to everyone for your suggestions, I greatly appreciate the input:yes:! Also, thanx Carl for paying attention in class!

Carl C
11-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Just in case anyone wanted to know or didn't try it, the VINEGAR trick worked like a champ. Thanx to everyone for your suggestions, I greatly appreciate the input:yes:! Also, thanx Carl for paying attention in class! I'm glad you tried it. It's really amazing.

Captain Steve
11-27-2008, 10:51 AM
VINEGAR:
Acetic acid, also known as ethanoic acid, is an organic chemical compound, giving vinegar its sour taste and pungent smell. ... Douche' Water