PDA

View Full Version : HID Tag

Madcow
11-06-2008, 07:20 AM
Does anybody know where I can get a new hull ID sticker. I have a 79 18 2+3 which had a sticker behind the back seat. I need to get a new one. Thanks

Conquistador_del_mar
11-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Repro's being worked on, but we need a couple good samples to work with since yours is different from my 1982, which is different from the pre-74's...

If you need a good resolution picture of one from a 1971, I could send that to you. Bill

VetteLT193
11-06-2008, 11:17 AM
If you send me picture(s) I'll see if I can print them.

erikshube
11-06-2008, 01:13 PM
I have also been trying to figure out how to get them for my Hornet II. I sent a couple of emails to Donzi but no reply. Keep me in the loop if anyone figures something out and ill do the same.

gcarter
11-06-2008, 05:12 PM
If someone comes up w/a foil tag, I'd like to have one.....it was MIA.
Have a question though, would it be proper to stamp (print) the original engine and drive #'s?
But then, why not use the original #'s? It would make it more authentic.

Madcow
11-06-2008, 05:15 PM
That is my alternate plan. I figured I would make an aluminum tag, and attach it to the inside of the hull.

mattyboy
11-06-2008, 05:19 PM
If someone comes up w/a foil tag, I'd like to have one.....it was MIA.
Have a question though, would it be proper to stamp (print) the original engine and drive #'s?
But then, why not use the original #'s? It would make it more authentic.

I think more authentic is not the term that would be used here think about it for a moment

and would an 88 testa have a foil tag???

gcarter
11-06-2008, 05:22 PM
I think more authentic is not the term that would be used here think about it for a moment
It'll probably be a lot more "stock" than the Minx was.....only stronger.

mattyboy
11-06-2008, 05:34 PM
george,

you missed my point , i am not talking about your power or project
I am talking about the implications of reproducing "original" hull id tags please think about that for a moment and all of the implications

gcarter
11-06-2008, 05:39 PM
george,

you missed my point , i am not talking about your power or project
I am talking about the implications of reproducing hull id tags please think about that for a moment and all of the implications

Matty, I see your point.
But mine's missing.
You know, the number is on the transom, unlike your old boat. So it's not like I'm presenting it as something it's not.

mattyboy
11-06-2008, 05:53 PM
George,
my response will depend alot on the your answer to this question

would you still want it if the badge was obiviously marked as to be obiviously not an original to a non donzi person???

gcarter
11-06-2008, 06:12 PM
George,
my response will depend alot on the your answer to this question

would you still want it if the badge was obiviously marked as to be obiviously not an original to a non donzi person???

OK, here's my answer.
I have a copy of the original BOS that spells out the boat is one of ten '88 TR's, so the foil tag isn't necessary for authentification.
I simply think it would be nice to have one.

BUIZILLA
11-06-2008, 07:16 PM
I have a correct alpha-numeric roll stamp imprint machine... :popcorn:

mattyboy
11-06-2008, 07:28 PM
OK, here's my answer.
I have a copy of the original BOS that spells out the boat is one of ten '88 TR's, so the foil tag isn't necessary for authentification.
I simply think it would be nice to have one.

George you didn't answer my question

gcarter
11-06-2008, 07:47 PM
George you didn't answer my question

It would make no difference to me if it came to that. To me it has no legal standing. The molded # on the transom is what's important.

mattyboy
11-06-2008, 08:01 PM
It would make no difference to me if it came to that. To me it has no legal standing. The molded # on the transom is what's important. molded numbers on a transom are easy to fill in probably alot easier than trying to reproduce these seems to me there might be a guy in Fla with an 87 16 who will be the first to sign up for his foil tag

that's the problem some people only look at the small picture and what is "NICE" instead of the big picture and what is right???

George did the 88 testa's come with a foil tag?????? and if they did how many are still intact?? do you think reproducing original tags will have any effect on value of the boats that are all original that still have them??? or could possibly cause any confusion in identify originality of any boat with them???

gcarter
11-06-2008, 08:33 PM
George did the 88 testa's come with a foil tag?????? and if they did how many are still intact?? do you think reproducing original tags will have any effect on value of the boats that are all original that still have them??? or could possibly cause any confusion in identify originality of any boat with them???

I asssumed all Donzis from that era came w/the foil tags.
Maybe someone will comment and let us know?

BUIZILLA
11-06-2008, 08:34 PM
molded numbers on a transom are easy to fill in probably alot easier than trying to reproduce these seems to me there might be a guy in Fla with an 87 16 who will be the first to sign up for his foil tag
ahem... gurgle.... burp.... this guy lives in the Bahama's

mattyboy
11-06-2008, 08:38 PM
George,

some boats got em some boats don't I can't seem to put a rhyme or reason to it

and please don't assume ;)

Jim ,

sorry didn't mean to throw my good suthern bruthas under the bus but sitting here in the north fla the bahamas whats the difference you get my point though don't you

BUIZILLA
11-06-2008, 08:45 PM
George,
some boats got em some boats don't I can't seem to put a rhyme or reason to it
and please don't assume ;)
Jim ,
sorry didn't mean to throw my good suthern bruthas under the bus but sitting here in the north fla the bahamas whats the difference you get my point though don't you
got your back dude.. :kingme:

mattyboy
11-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Decals are one thing any one can go to a vinyl guy and get them done we have a good idea of what decals went on what era boats, the chrome donzi letters yeah that too the shifter knobs yeah that too we have a very close spec for what boats came with what and the presence or lack of presence of those items don't validate or invalidate the boat but once a foild sticker goes on a boat it is VALIDATING THAT BOAT AS A DONZI WITH SUCH AND SUCH AN OUTDRIVE AND SUCH AND SUCH A MOTOR AND SUCH AND SUCH A HULL NUMBER SEEMS TO ME THAT SHOULD ONLY BE DONE BY THE FACTORY ( sorry not yelling just can't use italics)

BUIZILLA
11-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Matty, i'm going to disagree with you on this one, just IMO... that tag is nothing more relevant than the stick on buildsheet in the glovebox of my GMC... the inlayed hull # is the equivelant to a VIN tag on a car, that is what the USCG and the LEO recognizes, that is off limits for sure..

Conquistador_del_mar
11-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Bill, please do..

LT, they are on foil, can you print that?

Here is one of the pictures of my 1971 foil plate ID that I have in my computer. If you want another one, I could take a picture, but it is now off the boat for the paint work. I plan to reinstall it. Bill

mattyboy
11-06-2008, 09:29 PM
I guess this is like stem cell research who draws up the playing rules ,so these will only be available to owners with HIN's, and boat that doesn't have a HIN can't get one?? what about the total basket case that should have a HIN but the transom was so rotted that the HIN was lost??? not to mention the older rarer boats that sticker was the only Hull ID no hin

BUIZILLA
11-06-2008, 09:31 PM
in THAT case, the LEO assigns you a hull #, and they furnish the rivet tag, and I believe in the cracker state, they also install the plate for you...

onesubdrvr
11-06-2008, 09:37 PM
I guess this is like stem cell research who draws up the playing rules ,so these will only be available to owners with HIN's, and boat that doesn't have a HIN can't get one?? what about the total basket case that should have a HIN but the transom was so rotted that the HIN was lost??? not to mention the older rarer boats that sticker was the only Hull ID no hin
Matty,

I'm curious on this one as my project is pre HIN, but may have a hull number on it somewhere.

We know the approximate age because of certain characteristics ie. lack of balsa coring in the deck, etc. but without a know HIN, how can anything be surmised. I'd like to know more history on my hull, and don't mean to hi-jack the thread here, but am wondering, similarly to what you've posted, about finding out more information on the older rarer boats.

Wayne

mattyboy
11-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Wayne,
I'd be happy to talk at length on your project and give you any help or info I can drop me a pm with contact numbers and we can talk but now let me just for a moment go to a hypethotecial scenario

you didn't buy the boat this year you bought it 2 years from now when the tags have been sold and the guy you bought it from got a tag said it was hull 12 he put on your boat now it becomes hull 12 a true donzi classic when it is actully a 1972 shepard donzi or a cobalt or one of the dozen other splashes not saying your is a splash your's is a real donzi see my point it is hard enuff to id an older boat we now have to shot ourselves in the foot and make something that will make it harder for us to id boats in the future, and this could all come into play that the seller might be an honest man but thatit was a family handme down and the story got mixed up over 30 plus years, and please i am not accusing anyone here of this but there are less honest people out there what's to stop someone who stole a 78 16 and passing it off as a restored 66 the foil tags makes it legit

i guess no one here saw jurrasic park it started off cool seeing the dinosaurs til they came back to bite em in the azz

onesubdrvr
11-06-2008, 10:03 PM
I understand your point, trying to pass off a splash as the real deal, or (for example), a "regular" painted all red 22 as a Testarosa,....

and I agree with that aspect of it, fortunately for the majority here, we have each other to bounce pictures off of to pick out things that don't match, to help protect us from that.

From that stand point, I agree 100%, but from the stand point of a true restoration, a collector would want the tag there, and would want it to look like the original,...

I guess it's all about the possibility of abusing the power so to speak.

Wayne

mattyboy
11-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Wayne
i went thru the same moral agruement with the holman moody drive tags
my boat had one it made it unique not alot had them it added value to my boat now could I make money reproducing them yes would it make my 16 less unique yes less valuable to a collector who would pay for that yes.

the testas are pretty well documented and I don't want to educate the trolls here but there are real rare boats that were copied and this could be a big mistake if a tag landed on one of them it makes the real one less valuble

another story

a guy had an onos wagner base ball playing card the only one known to exist it was worth around 400k another guy cleaning out his grandmas attic after she passed he finds another onos wagner card ( i think onos was his name might have been enus) now the two cards are worth 200k they were real baseball cards think the first guy was happy the other guy found that card?? now tell him well we just printed it that's exactly what this would be of course not to that extent but the analogy holds true
sorry i might be being and azzhole on this ( no i am an azzhole) I just think this goes against everything we hold in high regard the rare original the mystique of why some had em and some
did not

and a lot of boats are sold yes classics that don't even know this place exists what happens to the unsuspecting first time buyer???

gcarter
11-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Well, I'd like to have one if they become available.
I had to get a replacement title one time for a car. It said so right on the face. It was still legal. After all, I was the owner of record.
If it said it was a replacement foil, that would be fine too.
A few years ago, a "C" Type Jaguar race car that had been totaled in the '50's was parted out. The only defining marks on the space frame tubular chassis were stamped onto the tops of the spring towers at each corner. The four corners were sawed off the original chassis and four new frames constructed, each utilizing one of the four spring towers.
Now, we're not talking about a 20 year old plastic boat here, but a multi million dollar vintage race car (even wrecked) that now had four copies that each had an original frame number.
Can you imagine what that did to values?

erikshube
11-08-2008, 07:00 PM
So Anyway..........

All that being said, does someone have the capability of making these? If so, how much?