PDA

View Full Version : rail ends for 18 classic

2donzi2
11-05-2008, 10:32 AM
looking for set of rail ends either good shape or needing re chrome.

Conquistador_del_mar
11-05-2008, 11:56 AM
If you are talking about the ones on the ends of the grab rails on the deck sides between the cokcpit and the gunwale, I found a set of stainless steel ones that are almost exactly like the originals on my 1971 18', but I bought them about 13 years ago. You might try looking around since I think they are still available. If you want a picture of the ones I now have, just let me know. Bill

2donzi2
11-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks Bill for the info. I'm familiar with what the originals look like, but some of the replacements don't look the same. I'd be curious to see the ones your using. How's your project going?

LKSD
11-07-2008, 07:15 AM
I can get you these stainless polished reproductions.. If you like them & need them feel free to call me.. :) Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628

Conquistador_del_mar
11-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Thanks Bill for the info. I'm familiar with what the originals look like, but some of the replacements don't look the same. I'd be curious to see the ones your using. How's your project going?

I could take a picture of the ones I will be installing, but I think they are like these - link at the end. I also found them in chromed Zamak, but I don't recommend Zamak stuff since it pits and corrodes like the original ones did.
Just today, I pressed in new bearings and seals on the new drive shaft in the bell housing which I installed right before leaving my shop. Tomorrow, I should be installing my 330HP engine which has been sitting on an engine stand. I finished the engine compartment component installations and wiring, so I am getting closer. I will probably be posting the new installation pictures on the thread I started in the next day or two. Bill

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=12201&familyName=Seafarer+End+Stanchion+Rail+Fittings

LKSD
11-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Bill, If you need me Id be glad to help you as well.. The Rail ends we sell do not have holes on top like the ones in the link you posted. They are fastened from underneath like the originals & they are stainless, Not Zamak.. They look aesthetically like originals. If I remember correctly the fasteners are just a little different size. :) Jamie

Conquistador_del_mar
11-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Bill, If you need me Id be glad to help you as well.. The Rail ends we sell do not have holes on top like the ones in the link you posted. They are fastened from underneath like the originals & they are stainless, Not Zamak.. They look aesthetically like originals. If I remember correctly the fasteners are just a little different size. :) Jamie

Jamie,
I forget whether my stainless ends have the mounting holes all the way through or not, but I will check today when I get to my shop. What is your price for a set of 4? I might want to buy a set from you if mine have the holes all the way through. Thanks, Bill

LKSD
11-08-2008, 10:53 AM
J,
when did perko start making those in SST?

Mine are not made by Perko.. ;) Jamie

LKSD
11-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Jamie,
I forget whether my stainless ends have the mounting holes all the way through or not, but I will check today when I get to my shop. What is your price for a set of 4? I might want to buy a set from you if mine have the holes all the way through. Thanks, Bill

I dont remember exactly, but I think the last ones were around thirty something each before shipping.. They do fasten from underneath But I for some reason think the fastener size was a little different, however it was an easy thing to adapt to. The rail ends were available in both 7/8" & 1" diameter tube openings, but If I remember correctly the rails were 7/8" on a classic so I dont think you would want the 1" diameter ones.. :) J

DonziJon
11-09-2008, 10:52 AM
I stopped by Jamestown Distributers in Bristol RI last week. They are no longer at that location mentioned, and shown in the picture. I've been going to them for years. I Don't know where they went. :bonk:

Since they left their original Jamestown Address years ago, they seem to have declined. John

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/about_us.do

Conquistador_del_mar
11-09-2008, 12:26 PM
I dont remember exactly, but I think the last ones were around thirty something each before shipping.. They do fasten from underneath But I for some reason think the fastener size was a little different, however it was an easy thing to adapt to. The rail ends were available in both 7/8" & 1" diameter tube openings, but If I remember correctly the rails were 7/8" on a classic so I dont think you would want the 1" diameter ones.. :) J

I checked my rail fittings yesterday and they do have the mounting holes all the way through so I might be calling you. Yes, 7/8". Thanks, Bill

I stopped by Jamestown Distributers in Bristol RI last week. They are no longer at that location mentioned, and shown in the picture. I've been going to them for years. I Don't know where they went. :bonk:

Since they left their original Jamestown Address years ago, they seem to have declined. John

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/about_us.do

John, I have no input as to Jamestown except to say that I recently ordered some parts from them online with no problems. Bill

DonziJon
11-09-2008, 01:29 PM
John, I have no input as to Jamestown except to say that I recently ordered some parts from them online with no problems. Bill

I'm going to call them this week and find out where they went. Now I'm curious as to what happened. There is a large modern Industrial Park across town that has quite a few Yacht Builders as well as Hall Spars, one of the worlds leading designers & builders of sailboat masts. Maybe they moved over there.

The " Industrial Park" listed on their web site is located in an OLD factory complex that's been around for over 100 years.

Maybe they are no longer "Brick & Mortar". John

LKSD
11-10-2008, 11:21 AM
I checked my rail fittings yesterday and they do have the mounting holes all the way through so I might be calling you. Yes, 7/8". Thanks, Bill

No problemo. Im here if you need me.. :) Jamie

DonziJon
11-10-2008, 03:13 PM
I called Jamestown Distributers, (Bristol, RI) today. They are still alive and well. They HAVE Moved again. They are now over in the "modern" industrial park near the Yacht builders. John