PDA

View Full Version : 66 barrelback with soft deck

wagspe208
11-03-2008, 05:34 PM
I really searched. Most of the threads did not show the attachments, though.
OK, here goes.
Standard thing. 66 barrelback, soft deck, will check, replace, etc tank as needed.
What are you guys using as a core material? Balsa is pretty old school. It also sucks up water over the years and rots (duh).
How thick core material. Some pretty cool, stiff vinyl foam out there.
Mine has woven roving on the bottom side of the deck. HEAVY, not strong, etc. Anyone using bi directional glass, kevlar, etc? These decks should be strong enough for a 300 pound guy to walk across without flexing pretty easy with decent glass technology.
How flexy is the deck once upside down with roving, core material removed, etc?
Please feel free to point me to relevant threads.
Thanks
Wags

BTW, this was supposed to be last winters project, but bought a new drag boat and that took all of the winter up.

BERTRAM BOY
11-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Balsa nowadays is end grain. "The "old school" balsa is longitudinal grain, which didn't stop the water from wicking everywhere. When endgrain balsa gets wet the water stays more localized.

wagspe208
11-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Balsa nowadays is end grain. "The "old school" balsa is longitudinal grain, which didn't stop the water from wicking everywhere. When endgrain balsa gets wet the water stays more localized.
I knew current stuff was end grain. I did not know that older stuff was not. Thanks for the info.

Wags

Speed Racer
11-04-2008, 11:47 AM
I just finished the 1967 Ski Sporter V-drive Deck replacement job, picking up the boat today!

We went with foam, and some longitudinal supports, and have tested the deck- NO flex with (2) 200 pound guys on it...

I can get the rebuild details from the guy at the yard today and post them with photos if you want..

Say the word...

Garry

BERTRAM BOY
11-04-2008, 11:50 AM
What thickness foam did you use?

wagspe208
11-04-2008, 02:18 PM
I just finished the 1967 Ski Sporter V-drive Deck replacement job, picking up the boat today!

We went with foam, and some longitudinal supports, and have tested the deck- NO flex with (2) 200 pound guys on it...

I can get the rebuild details from the guy at the yard today and post them with photos if you want..

Say the word...

Garry

That would be totally cool. What kind of foam..and thickness as asked above.
Wags

sweet 16 1966
11-04-2008, 07:16 PM
I used .625 Divinycell for my 16' deck. It is super strong and has no flex.
The deck is very flimsey with the balsa removed and will require support.

wagspe208
11-05-2008, 07:52 AM
I used .625 Divinycell for my 16' deck. It is super strong and has no flex.
The deck is very flimsey with the balsa removed and will require support.

Wow, 5/8? I assume the divinycel was scrimmed to conform to the deck? Did it conform easily?
I assume I can support the front around the edges? The top will still hold its shape?
Thanks
Wags

Speed Racer
11-06-2008, 01:28 PM
That would be totally cool. What kind of foam..and thickness as asked above.
Wags

Just got off the phone with the Yard. The deck process they used looked like this:

1) Build a Jig, using a constant batten method,bringing the deck arc from forward of the dashboard, to the tip of the bow. the constant batten method is important to make the deck fair.
2) Pulled the core
3) Laid 1x Mat and biaxial and bagged it.
4) Laid 1/2" contour foam - bagged it.
5) 2 more layers of 1x biaxial
6) Added in 3 ribs of 1/2" contour foam in 6" strips port to starboard with 1x mat

Here it is before paint and flippage:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54145

Here it is Done:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54622

(I like the way it fits UNDER a 29' sailboat!)
What do you y'all think?

wagspe208
11-06-2008, 07:55 PM
OK, so jig only needed from dash forward? Pictures look like they support the rest of the deck with wood around the seam.
It will take longer to build a jig than do the glass work. Oh well.
This may seem like as stupid idea, but here goes..
Why could one not use expanding foam to build a jig? Meaning put expanding foam in trash bags, set deck on top. (get it, deck close to floor, 4 or 5 bags, 4 or 5 buddies, shoot foam into bags, let expand, excess goes out side of bag (outside deck) Not regular foam insulation, but two part stuff we use anyway).
This would seem to form an exact contour of the deck. Fast, scrap when finished.
Wags

Speed Racer
11-06-2008, 09:56 PM
OK, so jig only needed from dash forward? Pictures look like they support the rest of the deck with wood around the seam.
It will take longer to build a jig than do the glass work. Oh well.
This may seem like as stupid idea, but here goes..
Why could one not use expanding foam to build a jig? Meaning put expanding foam in trash bags, set deck on top. (get it, deck close to floor, 4 or 5 bags, 4 or 5 buddies, shoot foam into bags, let expand, excess goes out side of bag (outside deck) Not regular foam insulation, but two part stuff we use anyway).
This would seem to form an exact contour of the deck. Fast, scrap when finished.
Wags

But if the deck is totally rotten, and jacked up, as mine was, then you really have NO good line to work from, so no actual structure to get things straight. The jig provides structure in the build up, like a mold. I made it really clear that I did not want them to 're-create' the deck, as the original glass was really in bad shape. I wanted the original deck made fair, then made pretty!

The amount of filler and/or time spent to make the deck actually look straight and true and good was saved by using a jig to get the structure correct... Kinda like using a whole lot of bondo to clean up a fender, instead of actually getting the fender close then touching up with bondo...

wagspe208
11-07-2008, 12:01 AM
I spent some time looking at it tonight. It shoud not be to horrible to make a jig. Two evenings, or one day should have it.
My plan is (unless you guys have any better ideas) is to build a jig on the boat with the boat on the trailer. That way, nothing moves, easier to work on, not on the ground, etc.
An air nailer, band saw, and crosscut saw should go pretty quick. I will just put in in the wood stove when finished with it.
What you think?
Wags

BERTRAM BOY
11-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Rootsy made a jig when he re-cored his 18. I would contact him for some sound advice.