PDA

View Full Version : 22 with or without windshield......

Donziweasel
10-31-2008, 06:36 PM
With Scot completing his 22, I realized how much I like the 22 without a windshield. I think it looks cool as hell. I was wondering what the board's opinion was. When (notice I said when and not if) I one day get 22, I think I will remove the windshield. This poll is not about funcionality, but pure asthetics.

ronnie
10-31-2008, 06:49 PM
Hey DW. I'm in for no windsheild!!

Donziweasel
10-31-2008, 06:50 PM
Very nice Ronnie! Now I am really sold! Bet you get alot of compliments.:) Is the 22 deep enough where you feel you don't need a grab rail? Just curious. Never been in one.

MOP
10-31-2008, 07:12 PM
I must agree that looks wise no windshield does win, the caveat is the wind in you face gets real old real quick. I have had a lot more boats without and wore my fair share of goggles, sure is nice to cruise in the upper 40's and do WOT in the 60's with my base ball cap on!!!

Donziweasel
10-31-2008, 07:35 PM
I agree Phil that the wind can sometimes get old. This is more of a- if you saw two 22's the same color and configuration tied up at the dock and one had a windshield and one did not, which do you think looks better.

onesubdrvr
10-31-2008, 09:46 PM
Depends on the windshield ;)

I don't like the one piece plexi windshields, but really love the frames windshields,..... especially with a dark tint, kind of like really cool sunglasses on a really cool boat.

My 16 will not have a windshield (well, not exactly)

Wayne

Trueser
10-31-2008, 10:17 PM
Depends on the type of windshield for shure.

But I like it without also.

fogducker III
10-31-2008, 11:58 PM
The post is about a windshield or not as far as looks right? IMHO a well set up windshield is better looking than none, on top of that, when running, it is needed in most applications.:orcawhale:

mattyboy
11-01-2008, 05:23 AM
i hope it has a weenie bar

oh please the wind in my face gets old quick:nilly::nilly:

HELLO THEY'RE DONZI CLASSICS IT IS ALL ABOUT THE WIND IN THE FACE

THE MAN LEAGUE CALLED YOU CAN TURN IN YOUR CARD AT THE FRONT DESK BTW WAY YOU LEFT YOUR LIGHTS ON IN YOUR MIATA

:yes::boggled:

lol

Donziweasel
11-01-2008, 06:17 AM
I don't think the windshield on a 16 or 18 does that much anyway considering you sit above it. Don't know how much protection you get with one in a 22. Mornings in the Rockies can be chilly and I know of a few mornings I wouldn't mind one IF they offered protection. In the afternoon, once it warms up, I like the wnd in my face.

Boo Boo wieghs a whole 120 pounds (al least for now :)) and always seems chilly. She wouldn't mind one IF they gave some protection from the wind.

Once agian, this poll is about looks, not functionality.

Matty, what are you doing up at 3:23 AM? LOL

mattyboy
11-01-2008, 06:31 AM
i always felt an all white classic with colored stripes looks better
with a windshield especially a dark tinted one with the SS frame but a classic with colored sides looks better with out one

it's 3 hours different out here it 6:30 and i am making breakfast ;)

seriously i have been searching for a boat I have passed on a gt21 Marie didn't think it looked classic enough and didn't want a windshield, she also didn't like a mid 90's 18 she thought the low windshield was ok but the steering wheel was on the wrong side so i am looking for a windshieldless port helm 22 ????

Donziweasel
11-01-2008, 06:44 AM
i always felt an all white classic with colored stripes looks better
with a windshield especially a dark tinted one with the SS frame but a classic with colored sides looks better with out one

I definetly think there is merit in that. Color combinations definetly make a difference on appearance with or without a windshield.

Since my surgery I haven't slept at all. Been getting out of bed at 5:00, then remember it is daylight savings time, which means I got up at 4:00 this morning.:bonk: Man, I could use a good night sleep.:crossfing:

boxy
11-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Boo Boo wieghs a whole 120 pounds (al least for now :)) and always seems chilly. She wouldn't mind one IF they gave some protection from the wind.
Once agian, this poll is about looks, not functionality.
Matty, what are you doing up at 3:23 AM? LOL

John, be careful .... :angel:

Windshield or not ..... Not
Windshield or X-18 flair ..... too hard to call
Mick's new low profile screen .... Cool as hell :yes:

boxy
11-01-2008, 07:12 AM
I definetly think there is merit in that. Color combinations definetly make a difference on appearance with or without a windshield.
Since my surgery I haven't slept at all. Been getting out of bed at 5:00, then remember it is daylight savings time, which means I got up at 4:00 this morning.:bonk: Man, I could use a good night sleep.:crossfing:

Isn't daylight savings tonight?
If it was last night I'm an hour late for my hockey game.

Donziweasel
11-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Hell, Steve, I don't know. I just looked at the clock on my computer and it was an hour behind. I figured it was last night. Guess computers aren't always right. Considering i haven't slept in 8 days, I don't know what is up or down, much less what time it is. Good call.:wink:

Donziweasel
11-01-2008, 07:25 AM
I will say I REALLY liked the fairing on the Shelby's. Gave it kinda a competitve race boat look. :wink:

Donziweasel
11-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Computer was set on wrong date. Good call Steve. Man, I could use some sleep.

Carl C
11-01-2008, 08:06 AM
I don't like the windshields. IMO the one piece ones look cheap and the SS frame ones are too complex because you do not even look through it. This here fairing like on my boat gives the best of both worlds: Wind in the face on a hot day and a place to clamp on "wind-aways" when it's not so hot or for longer cruises or to keep the ladies happy. I would not have purchased my boat if not for the aluminum fairing.

The Hedgehog
11-01-2008, 08:06 AM
I like them without

Carl C
11-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Does the aluminum AE, SE, Shelby fairing qualify as not having a windshield????

Donziweasel
11-01-2008, 08:25 AM
I will say, for the poll, that a fairing is not a windshield. I will say that a windshield is something that can be looked through and that a fairing is solid and can not be looked through.

rtgogo
11-01-2008, 08:40 AM
I vote for the fairing, more aggressive looking IMO

BigGrizzly
11-01-2008, 08:42 AM
I am going to say that to me, they both have a different look. The wind shield type is what a sport classic boat should look like and the wind shield does work. it is a better choice to go to dinner variety boat. The non windshield type is racier looking and a real wind in the face variety and easier to climb on the deck, bathing suit wearing type. The F22 was such a model and fell on its face at the time of production. What you will find is as you get older the windshield tyoe becomes more desirable. My opinion is that Classics 16 and some 18s should be windshieldless and the rest should have windshields. The rest such as Criterions, F22s, Hornets etc. should be left as is.

roadtrip se
11-01-2008, 09:08 AM
the Classic that it is.

As for being protected from the wind, it would have to be about three feet tall to do any good.

And in my opinion, after owning a couple of fairing boats, the fairing is a replacement for a windshield, as it is technically still a shield. No windshield, means exactly that, no windshield.

BigGrizzly
11-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Well, RT your taller then me when you are sitting and I am standing. In your classic you cost it about 3mph:wink:

Donziweasel
11-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Todd, I agree, but I didn't think of fairings when I posted the poll. For the poll purpose, I am refering to the standard stock windshield that comes with a 22, not special editions or fairings that give it a completely different look. I should have added a fairings selection.

I still think the Shelby's fairing looks amazing and really sets it apart, especailly with the stripes going up the fairing. I will say I like both without a windhshield and with a fairing equally. Not to bash on 22's with a windshield, I still think the 22 in any form is one of the best looking boats ever produced.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/johnnyalltrans/donzi_boats_classic_22_shelby_gt.jpg

BUIZILLA
11-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Well, RT your taller then me when you are sitting and I am standing. In your classic you cost it about 3mph:wink: he'll just blame it on the drive shower.... :boat:

Donziweasel
11-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Well, RT your taller then me when you are sitting and I am standing. In your classic you cost it about 3mph

Who is wider and heavier??:bonk: LOL

MOP
11-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Had to add the fact that at 70 which is an average stock WOT the frame windshield will water your eyes, blow your hat off and up root your hair been there done that but you can always duck!!!

boxy
11-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Had to add the fact that at 70 which is an average stock WOT the frame windshield will water your eyes, blow your hat off and up root your hair been there done that but you can always duck!!!

Time to trade in your Tilley. You need a better hat. :wink::wink:

Scot used to sell some 75 mph Donzi hats, I lost one at 77, and I still have the other one...

Ghost
11-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Time for someone to get clever and do a windshieldless one or a fairing, with a completely concealed hydraulic pop-up windshield, like a Porsche spoiler.

Last Real Texan
11-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Without!

Titan
11-01-2008, 11:43 AM
The windshield on my '04 does nothing but direct the wind into your face. It is not even close to something you look through. I didn't realize how high you sit untill I saw pictures. Has anyone cut their seat posts down to sit lower in the boat?

Donziweasel
11-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Couple of pics of Scot's boat w/out windshield. Got to admit that is a nice look. Scot, hope you don't mind me showing off the 22 a little.:wink:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/johnnyalltrans/user3_pic139_1220987829_thumb.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/johnnyalltrans/user3_pic138_1220987829_thumb.jpg

MOP
11-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Time to trade in your Tilley. You need a better hat. :wink::wink:
Scot used to sell some 75 mph Donzi hats, I lost one at 77, and I still have the other one...

Since my rig will only do 65+ on a good day and has the Plexi deflector windshield I am a comfortable camper.

Ghost
11-01-2008, 12:55 PM
What's a 75mph hat? This?

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:B6tKlPg97HlYeM:http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/cartoon/images/Snoopy/snoopy-redbaron2.JPG (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/cartoon/images/Snoopy/snoopy-redbaron2.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/cartoon/snoopy.htm&h=562&w=455&sz=16&hl=en&start=10&usg=__jElqpfCnwKvV2iLz2C_7mXeGSV8=&tbnid=B6tKlPg97HlYeM:&tbnh=133&tbnw=108&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dww1%2Bcap%2Band%2Bgoggles%26gbv%3D2%2 6hl%3Den)

gcarter
11-01-2008, 01:26 PM
If you like "the no windshield look", fine. But let me remind you that the early Staples, or late Chisolm boats and later have a coaming to mount the 'shield to. And to me, such a boat looks like a late 22C that someone removed the 'shield from.......it looks unfinished or that someone ran out of money.
The early 22's were like an 18 and look fine if that's what you want.......

Here in Florida, we often run up and down the ICW for 200 miles or more to go to lunch or such. Believe me when I tell you that Elaine and some of our female friends get tired of that much wind in a hurry.

.....Maybe if you're 20 and trying to impress some 16 year old........

Donziweasel
11-01-2008, 01:51 PM
George, I hear what you are saying, but according to Titan, the windshield doesn't gove any protection in a 22. Doesn't really in a 16 or 18 either. Seems it is just there for asthetic value.

I think the Italian style windshield on a Minx would look good on a 22.

Ghost
11-01-2008, 02:09 PM
But it sounds like some 22 owners think it does. (I would think the venturi effect would cut the wind quite a bit, if it is high enough and you're not too tall.) That said, let's do this scientifically:

Windshield-free: cons

long-trip fatigue
debatable unfinished look
no headrest when sunning on the bow
her hair may get mussed
your hat may blow off
Windshield-free: pros

thrill of wind in your face
pure-race-boat look
improved bow access
her top may blow off

yeller
11-01-2008, 02:42 PM
The windshield on my '04 does nothing but direct the wind into your face. It is not even close to something you look through. I agree. The "wind-in-your-face" is far worse in my 22 because of the windshield than it was in my 16 without. At higher speeds I have to turn my head slightly because it hurts my ears so much.

ghost: the 22 windshields do nothing. There would be less wind in your face without one. The earlier plexi windshields were taller with a "fairing ?" at the top and worked much better.

I like the looks of the newer tinted plexi windshields. I think the fairing is the nicest of all though. I completely agree with gcarter. I don't think the (windshield) decks looks good with out one. The factory windshield-less boats (like Scots') look cool, but the deck is different on those boats.

I didn't realize how high you sit untill I saw pictures. Has anyone cut their seat posts down to sit lower in the boat?I cut my seat posts down as much as possible. Not a huge difference, but I feel like I'm "in" the boat a little more and cosmetically no one will know the difference. I recommend it.

CHACHI
11-01-2008, 03:15 PM
I really disliked the windshield on my 22 when I first purchased it. I came from a Minx with an excellent piece of plexiglass out front.

Wind noise was my biggest complaint, I always wear some sort of eyeglasses so wind in the eyes was a moot point.

The 22's windshield became functional as soon as I installed Saeng micro edge molding to the top of the frame.
Wind noise was a thing of the past and hats stayed on my head.

For those of you who have windshields, this piece of rubber is a must have. Of course I am over 50 and not trying to impress anyone.

I like the classics with the stainless framed windshield, dark plexi of course.

Ken

Titan
11-01-2008, 03:26 PM
I cut my seat posts down as much as possible. Not a huge difference, but I feel like I'm "in" the boat a little more and cosmetically no one will know the difference. I recommend it.

How much did you take off? Does the steering wheel and throttle still seem to be in a comfortable place? I had a guy out last weekend that has a knock off '18 and he felt we were sitting to high. His seats are mounted very close to the floor like my '16 was. I don't want to go to low but I think I should take some off.

The windshield on my '04 does nothing but direct the wind into your face.

I should rephrase that. I think the windshield definately helps for people riding in the back seat.

gcarter
11-02-2008, 04:16 AM
I really disliked the windshield on my 22 when I first purchased it. I came from a Minx with an excellent piece of plexiglass out front.

Wind noise was my biggest complaint, I always wear some sort of eyeglasses so wind in the eyes was a moot point.

The 22's windshield became functional as soon as I installed Saeng micro edge molding to the top of the frame.
Wind noise was a thing of the past and hats stayed on my head.

For those of you who have windshields, this piece of rubber is a must have. Of course I am over 50 and not trying to impress anyone.

I like the classics with the stainless framed windshield, dark plexi of course.

Ken
I've ridden in Ken's boat since he put the Saeng strip on the 'shield. It does make a world of difference.

Carl C
11-02-2008, 06:28 AM
The wind-aways work really well and you have to look hard to even see them! And they come off on the hot days, in fact mine are usually off. You'll still not keep a hat on in my boat unless it's tied on. I've got a couple of friends who always wear caps because they want to hide their bald heads. They need to get over it. My brother cannot boat with me because he will lose his rug. lol There may be a similar device that clamps to a weinie bar. Bottom line is that sometimes you need wind protection, especially here in the north.

BUIZILLA
11-02-2008, 06:32 AM
the Bimmer moto guys have been using the Saeng edge for years.....

works really well, cheapest mod you can do...

I used them on 3 of my Bimmer scooter's, put one on my Harley, where it was promptly removed, without my permission, by some jerk in LG last summer...

as for windscreens... the Minx setup is the best factory delivered windscreen Donzi ever did..

Donziweasel
11-02-2008, 06:44 AM
I think the Italian style windshield on a Minx would look good on a 22.

as for windscreens... the Minx setup is the best factory delivered windscreen Donzi ever did..

We defintetly agree.:wink:

mattyboy
11-02-2008, 07:17 AM
we always compare our classics to harleys and this analogy works here has well certain harleys the windshield works looks wise a big ol eltra glide with saddle bags but there is nothing worse than seeing nice softail or sporster with that stoopid little windshield

same here the old windshield on the gt and hornets look good they fit the boat

i mean isn't riding a classic all about the proximity to the water the noise and the wind in your face???

my point if your are worried about the wind don't by a sportster by a goldwing

even when my daughter and I got a ride on the miami vice 38zr we both stood up for the 80 mph ride to feel the wind

Paging all shoppers would the owner of a lite blue miata plate number 2BA-WUSS your lights are on ;)

nothing better than the summer wind,or looking next to ya to see your girl's pony tail totally horizontal :yes::wink:

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n110/mattyboy_011/?action=view&current=summerwind_0001-1.flv

chappy
11-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Paging all shoppers would the owner of a lite blue miata plate number 2BA-WUSS your lights are on ;)

Thanks Matty, no better way to start a Sunday off than with a big gut laugh.:rofl::fam::rofl:

Ghost
11-02-2008, 07:35 AM
http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n110/mattyboy_011/?action=view&current=summerwind_0001-1.flv

Good stuff!

Sagbay32
11-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Anyone have a close up of the Saeng micro edge molding?

Thanks
Mike

Team Jefe
11-02-2008, 09:51 AM
I think they both look great, but the no windshield is what sold me on Scot's boat and had me make a trip to Winnie in Late November to get her.

Ed Donnelly
11-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Sagbay32 www.saeng.com

They show cloes ups of it ...Ed

yeller
11-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Wind noise was a thing of the past and hats stayed on my head.KenKen, do you have a pic of it installed? How tall are you?

How much did you take off? Does the steering wheel and throttle still seem to be in a comfortable place? I don't want to go to low but I think I should take some off.There's about 2" available to take off. I removed as much as I could with a tubing cutter, (about 0.5" left). Throttle and steering position is fine although I'm sure it depends on your body type. I'm 5'11". I was more concerned about how the seats would look in comparison to the back seat if I lowered them, so I took off 0.5" at a time. I will be removing the last little bit. FWIW, the Shelby's don't use the pedestal base and are mounted very close to the floor. I'm thinking about 4", (but no more than 6").

CHACHI
11-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Yeller, no close ups but I have a dock photo with 2 very capable dock hands.

The black edge on the top frame is the micro edge.

I am a towering 5'4" with shoes.

Ken

roadtrip se
11-02-2008, 08:48 PM
and early returns say, I'm going to stand above it while under way as opposed to sitting behind it, unless I'm just putting along and enjoying the sunset like last evening.

Guess, I just like the rustle of the breeze. IMO, those who whine about wind noise while running a performance boat, or in my case with the new boat, a performance cruiser, should just slow down and act their age. As advanced as it may be, to each their own, as you really are only as old as you really are.

May I suggest a Sea Ray? Probably wouldn't have to worry about wind noise in one one of those trough plowing monstrosities...

Tony
11-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Ken lent me a 2' Saang sample that I used for about half a summer. Without it the wind is directed right into my eye level (I am 5'11"), and with it the wind just clears the top of my head. So...I am guessing it adds about 6" of deflection to the windshield of my '96 22'. I will probably be ordering it this winter.

P.S. Can one of our southern brothers measure the width of a 22's windshield for me...my boat is put away for the season.

THANKS! :smile:

:beer:

yeller
11-03-2008, 01:37 AM
Thanks Ken.

Good looking dock hands. Used 'em myself once. :)

CHACHI
11-03-2008, 06:00 AM
Tony, 6 feet should do it. About 4 inches left over if my memory serves me correctly.

Ken

CHACHI
11-03-2008, 06:10 AM
Funny thing about the wind noise is with it you really don't benefit from the performance boat true atribute, I could never hear my thru hulls.
Now, not only can I hear my exhaust but I will probably save my hearing so I can still hear my Granddaughter say hi Grandpa 10 years from now with out any add on devices.

I guess I am acting my age.

Ken

BUIZILLA
11-03-2008, 07:22 AM
they only sell it in 3' increments anyways...

mattyboy
11-03-2008, 08:17 AM
and early returns say, I'm going to stand above it while under way as opposed to sitting behind it, unless I'm just putting along and enjoying the sunset like last evening.
Guess, I just like the rustle of the breeze. IMO, those who whine about wind noise while running a performance boat, or in my case with the new boat, a performance cruiser, should just slow down and act their age. As advanced as it may be, to each their own, as you really are only as old as you really are.
May I suggest a Sea Ray? Probably wouldn't have to worry about wind noise in one one of those trough plowing monstrosities...

ok so we know it is NOT Todd's miata in the parking lot with the lights on ;) :tongue: although he might have taken up 2 spots with his excursion :wink:

roadtrip se
11-03-2008, 10:47 AM
was yesterday from Kentucky to Michigan, so we have a 4x4 in the barn for the inevitable blizzards to come.

Stopped at Wendy's for some crunchy fries and a chicken sandwich.

Heard some crunching on the way out as I dug into lunch. Maybe that wasn't fries. Could have been a Miata or a Camry.

Oh well... I'm over it.

MOP
11-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Hmm that would be a sight seeing Todd extract himself from a Miata!!!!

joseph m. hahnl
11-03-2008, 06:03 PM
That's why I bought the Minx. The windshield is just right. You can pop your head up and over and catch the breeze. Or duck down a little and your toasty warm. I Like the 22 with the screen. I think that it is designed to keep water from entering the cock pit when you have a wave break over the bow. More so then to keep you warm or deflect the wind.
But I tell you the best thing about a windshield and this goes for any thing that you ride in or on:confused:. The Rain :shocking:!!!!! when your in the midst of a down pour there is no such thing as an ugly windshield:eek:

boxy
11-03-2008, 06:14 PM
I Like the 22 with the screen. I think that it is designed to keep water from entering the cock pit when you have a wave break over the bow. More so then to keep you warm or deflect the wind.

.... and sometimes a windshield is only good for keeping the water off the front seat passengers. Isn't that right Matty .... :nilly: :nilly:

Trueser
11-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Unless you’re on Lake Michigan and run thru the wave hits the windshield and it cracks in half..

Plexiglass will not hold up. Lexan is needed.

First wave cleared my head.
Second wave cracked the windshield.
Third wave added more water to the cockpit.

zelatore
11-04-2008, 12:17 AM
Unless you’re on Lake Michigan and run thru the wave hits the windshield and it cracks in half..
Plexiglass will not hold up. Lexan is needed.
First wave cleared my head.
Second wave cracked the windshield.
Third wave added more water to the cockpit.

I've always said wave patterns on SF Bay had more in common with the lakes than most realized.

Apparently the same is true for the Sacramento river.

My windshield didn't make it either...

mattyboy
11-04-2008, 07:45 AM
.... and sometimes a windshield is only good for keeping the water off the front seat passengers. Isn't that right Matty .... :nilly: :nilly:

yes the windshield also doubles as a aqua screen, if a wave breaks over the bow in a non windscreen classic the wave rides the deck and hits the passengers lap's with the low classic windshield the wave is diverted more north to the face and chest area ( depending on how cold the water is this might not be such a bad thing :smileybo: if ya know what I mean) then with a higher more traditional windshield people in the front can duck and turn to watch the back seat passengers get hit all over ;)

VetteLT193
11-04-2008, 09:25 AM
I think the 22 looks a whole lot better with the windshield or windscreen.

Don't forget as part of the discussion the various shields Donzi made for the 22.

The one on my bro's '87 has those BS tabs behind the driver and passenger and it actually works. If you stick your head just a couple inches to one side or the other you get blasted.

I wish Donzi would make the windscreen (like the shelby) but with the hinged flip-up wind blockers like Cigarette used to use. This way you can put them up or down and they are painted so they look fine either way...

mjw930
11-04-2008, 03:44 PM
I like the look of the windshield but surprisingly not the look of the windshield on my '87. It has the two flip ups that do work but the overall curve of the front of the shield is too flat and the joining pieces being inline with the front look like an afterthought.

I like the framed shields the best with the newer curved shields a close second. When I priced a replacement I shopped Donzi and was shocked when the quote from the dealer came back at ~$1500 for the aluminum framed shield and close to $3000 for the curved Lexan. The excuse was the unframed shield is made out of more expenive material and that may be true but I know for a fact I can get all 3 pieces of my '87 shield replaced with top quality plastic (not sure if it's lexan or polycarb but it's shatter resistant) for less than $1000.

If anyone has the aluminum framed shield they are willing to part with I might be convinced to make a decent offer......

Lenny
11-05-2008, 10:05 AM
I definately prefer the "no windshield" on all three boats. 16-18-22.

But, having said that, I can tell you, that even in SUMMER here, the wind going down your neck at the front of your shirt DOES get cold. It requires attire that most folks here on the Board do not usually have to wear in these boats too keep warm.