PDA

View Full Version : Winterrizing help

ky-donzi
10-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Ok I have read and re-read the current post on winterrizing and I am still alittle lost. I have a couple problems. first I can't find but 4 blue drain plugs...I have found (2) 1 on each of the exhaust manifolds. (1) on the fuel cooler on the Port side. (1) on the port side of the block... on the starburd side of the engine I find no plug on the block, there is a knock sensor and that is all I see.. Help me find the rest the engine is a 350 mag 1998 model.

Second question... After I drain all the water, what else is nessary. I will store the boat in a garage but it is not heated.. here in Ky it doesn't get that cold, maybe single digits once in a while. Again it will be indoors and I really don't think it will freeze, but I'd rather be safe.... what else is needed?

Oh and also Do I need to worry about the drive? it is a bravo

Thanks Reid

RedDog
10-31-2008, 07:40 AM
There is a plug on the starboard side - maybe the blue plastic one has been replaced with a brass plug?

Donziweasel
10-31-2008, 08:03 AM
Like Reddog said, there IS a plug on that side of the block somewhere. As for the drive, all I have ever done is lower it all the way while on the trailer and let it drain. Never had a problem down to -40.

The Hedgehog
11-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Drain it the best you can and pump it full of antifreeze with a rust inhibitor.

MOP
11-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Drain it the best you can and pump it full of antifreeze with a rust inhibitor.

The plugs on all GM V8's are directly in the muddle of the block slightly above the pan to block joint, use the middle of the riser or valve cover to orient yourself. What throws you of is the blocks cylinders are shifted side to side so on plug is either ahead or behind the other. Drain that side slap all the plugs back in and fill the block with anti freeze. Many will say it will be just fine just drained, yes just fine from freezing but it will even in fresh water have some corrosion going on inside the block and manifolds. It is all about safety and longevity!!!

ky-donzi
11-02-2008, 09:20 AM
If anyone see anything else please advise me

Ok thanks guys.. Here is what I did, I'm posting this as more of a info if anyone else has the issue that I had.

350 Mag 98' model

Port side 1 blue plug in the exhaust manifold
1 blue plug in the lower block
1 blue plug in the cool fuel

Starburd side 1 blue plug in the exhaust
no plug in the block, but the knock sensor must be removed
unhook the intake of the sea water pump

lower drive so all water drains

So this is what I did.. kinda tricky since I was searching for a drain plug instead of a sensor that is designed to be the drain.

MOP
11-02-2008, 12:21 PM
If you are going to leave it dry you are pretty much done, one other precaution I always take is to bump the engine over with the raw water pump hoses off to make sure no water is trapped in it.

CHACHI
11-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Pull the large water hose off the circulating pump (it goes to the thermostat housing ) and drain that also.
It is a water trap as the hose angles down and the curves up to the housing.

Reattach and fill the block with anti-freeze.

Ken