PDA

View Full Version : King Cobra stopped pumping water......

Hanker
01-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Poodle's sick, and I thought I'd post before bothering Jim.

I had a great outing the other day, won't get into details, I need the northerners help. Was cleaning up the boat, and running it on the hose when I noticed something sounded different. Looked up and saw steam, and saw the temp about 180-190. Looked at the exhaust and there was NO water coming out. eek!

After letting it cool, I started it again, and got NO water flow. Pulled the pump housing (King Cobra drive)and the impeller is fine. :p

Disconnected the hose from the transom to the power steeering cooler, and started the the motor. NO water, not a drop. If I push the Flusher together on the drive, it forces water out of the hose. :confused:

So I clamped the hose onto the same hose and turned the water on, and watched to see if the water came out of anywhere other than the prop, and the drive intakes. It does not. :(

Took the pump housing off again, and started the motor to see if the pump shaft was turning. I even grabbed it with a glove to see if I could stop it. I could not. :mad:

What the hell am I missing? I can only conclude that the pump is not pumping, but how? I am really hoping someone points out a really stupid answer.

Trueser
01-04-2004, 08:07 PM
Check the impeller, see what condition its in.

Mike

BUIZILLA
01-04-2004, 08:38 PM
I don't know why the hell you didn't call me, I live a whopping 10 minutes away :rolleyes: we need to submerge the drive in my trusty GOTT cooler and check for intake suction. No suction, then we drop the foot... if suction, then we look in the upper case from the pump through the left transfer channel to the transom mount. You completely melted the last impeller, so I think your problem is between the intake grates and the pump housing itself. With the way the pump is designed, your not going to force water past the impeller in either direction.

J :cool:

Hanker
01-05-2004, 03:51 AM
Bbbrrring...Bbbrrring....

you got the GOTTs? cool, I'll bee right over.... wink

I appreciate it Jim. I'll give you a call later, and I'll post our results for the next poor bastard.

JimG
01-05-2004, 07:06 AM
CAPTWK just went though this on one of his KC's. It was a seal on one of the water tubes, I believe. CAPTWK, you out there? Want to join in on this one?

JimG

MOP
01-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Another thing to check is the hose between the drive and the transom shield, the inner layer breaks down and gets in the cooler which blocks the flow.

Hanker
01-05-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. I'm a little disapointed I didn't get any of toona's wit. :D

I am begining to think the pick up tube seals are probably it. Unfortunately, the holidays are over and I have to earn money to pay for all the toys. That leaves little time to work on this. I will keep you posted.

I will call Jim, have never dropped the foot on this drive, and would welcome the coaching.

Thanks again

RedDog
01-05-2004, 06:17 PM
I vote with the Poodle and less than adequate muff sealing - at least that happened with my King Cobra once. Should be quick to verify. Just put the muffs on again and hold in place while she is running.

Now that I think back, at that time I had the "black plastic intake strainers" on the lower foot off as well - they may have something to do with ensuring proper suction?

BUIZILLA
01-05-2004, 08:34 PM
GOTT test first..

J

BUIZILLA
01-05-2004, 09:18 PM
I am NOT delivering a GOTT cooler at 4:30 am... :D :D

J

okay, 5:30 maybe, but you GOTTa pick it up.. wink :p

ToonaFish
01-05-2004, 09:35 PM
Hanker:
Thanks for the replys guys. I'm a little disapointed I didn't get any of toona's wit. :D Extremely sorry to fail you, Hankering, but from the female point of view, there is simply nothing amusing about a diseased, ill sized, leaky muff.

Now, the visual of a bunch of guys standing around at dawn, stuffing a muff into a frigid German box, whilst mounting her leg... that's good humor.

Bunches,

Celene 'muffled'

ToonaFish
01-06-2004, 05:28 AM
At least you caught one last time...

http://www.donzi.net/photos/chowardduck.jpg

MOP
01-06-2004, 07:50 AM
I am surprised none of the Cobra boys have not made a seal checker. It an easy way to check for seal leaks, take a piece if 3/8 aluminum lay the pump plate on it for a template mark the bolt holes and drill, then drill and tap a hole on the pressure and vacuum sides for a gear case vacuum checker. Bolt it in place with a sacrificial gasket and short bolts. Plug the hose coming from the drive to the transom with sealer and clamp and vacuum check at 7psi for about 15 minutes, then masking tape off pickups and check that circut. Warning do not pressure check it unseats the seals.

Damn can't think straight when sick!

Post ammended after screw up!

Phil

Hanker
01-06-2004, 08:11 PM
Ok, I couldn't wait 'til Saturday. Stopped by Home depot on the way home. For $7.95 bought a 31 gallon rubbermaid container. It fits perfectly.

Just finished testing, and I'm relieved to say, the muff was the problem. And it is a new muff I just bought because I left my old muff at home a couple of weeks ago. Never had this problem with my old muff.......

Guess it goes to show ya, sometimes a new muff can be worse than the old muff. :D

thanks for the laughs, and all the help.

CaptWK
01-12-2004, 12:12 PM
I went through the same problem. Drop the lower unit and replace the rubber pickup seal in the bottom of the upper unit and also replace the plastic seal plate on the lower unit where the pickup tube goes in. Use a good sealent on the seals. I think the parts cost me $20.00. It took me about one hour to do the fix and I have had no problems.