PDA

View Full Version : 40 to 50 foot seas!?!?!?!?!

gold-n-rod
10-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Detroit man dead after sailboat sinks off NJ

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - A Detroit man was killed and three others injured, including a U.S. Coast Guard rescue swimmer, when a 44-foot sailboat began sinking in rough seas off the New Jersey coast about 100 miles southeast of Atlantic City.

Phil Rubright, 65, was pronounced dead Wednesday by the Atlantic County medical examiner. Rescued were Teresa Garvie, 44, and Kevin Hogan, 52, both of Mount Pleasant, S.C.

The three were aboard the sailing vessel Freefall when it sent a distress signal around 7:15 p.m. Tuesday. A Coast Guard plane and helicopter were launched from Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C.

The rescue crews located the stricken vessel shortly after 1 a.m. Wednesday, but were unable to hoist the passengers from the craft due to extreme weather conditions, including rain, high winds and 40-50 foot seas, the Coast Guard said.

A rescue swimmer entered the water and attempted to place Rubright into a rescue basket, but a large wave damaged the basket and hoist cable.

The helicopter crew then deployed a life raft and Rubright was placed in it. Another large wave hit the raft, injuring the rescue swimmer and tossing Rubright from the raft, the Coast Guard said. The injured swimmer was unable to recover Rubright.

The helicopter crew deployed an emergency recovery device to hoist the rescue swimmer from the water, called for assistance and flew to Atlantic City to seek treatment for him. The injured swimmer, whose name was not released, was treated and released, the Coast Guard said.

Additional helicopters then were launched from Air Station Atlantic City and Cape Cod, Mass., along with three Coast Guard cutters.

The Cape Cod helicopter crew recovered Rubright from the water and flew him to Atlantic City, where he was pronounced dead by the Atlantic County medical examiner.

A second helicopter crew from Elizabeth City hoisted the surviving passengers from the boat shortly before 8 a.m. and flew them to AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center in Atlantic City, where they were treated for mild hypothermia, the Coast Guard said.

:shocking: :confused:

Ghost
10-30-2008, 09:30 AM
It blew like stink down here for a couple of days--sounds like that system out over the Atlantic was even uglier than I thought.

f_inscreenname
10-30-2008, 09:49 AM
It blew like stink down here for a couple of days--sounds like that system out over the Atlantic was even uglier than I thought.
Blew the water right out of the Bay. My boat ramp leeds down to dry sand the last couple days.:frown:

ChromeGorilla
10-30-2008, 12:17 PM
"O God, Thy Sea Is So Great, And My Boat Is So Small"

:yes:

I've been in 10 meter seas when I crossed the Atlantic sailing from Galveston to Gibraltar and wouldn't want to see any bigger...:eek:

Carl C
10-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Scary chit with a tragic outcome.........

DonziJon
10-30-2008, 06:43 PM
I've been in 10 meter seas when I crossed the Atlantic sailing from Galveston to Gibraltar and wouldn't want to see any bigger...:eek:

Chromey: I thought that trip was in a Nuke Submarine??? :) Postal John

onesubdrvr
10-30-2008, 06:59 PM

Wimp,....... try the North Atlantic October - February, spec op :yes::pimp:,......

:wink:

Scott, are you and the better half going to come down for my Party in December?

See ya!
Wayne

MOP
10-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Try 1,100 miles off Africa in hurricane Clause back in 83, was there delivering a 47 foot ketch to the BVI charter boat show. Knot meter was pinned for 2-1/2 days, it only went to 100mph was the worst and most frightening offshore trip that I have made.

ChromeGorilla
10-30-2008, 08:32 PM
No no no..... my submarine days were spent deep and quiet....

I am talking about my civilian job amd the trip I took last year. I work on the MSV Express

here she is... http://www.helixesg.com/Portals/0/PDFs/Express-Brochure.pdf

chappy
10-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Try 1,100 miles off Africa in hurricane Clause back in 83, was there delivering a 47 foot ketch to the BVI charter boat show. Knot meter was pinned for 2-1/2 days, it only went to 100mph was the worst and most frightening offshore trip that I have made.

Now that just flat out commands respect.

Ghost
10-30-2008, 10:11 PM

Holy Fing BEEEEEEP