PDA

View Full Version : PROJECT BLUE TANKINI is a GO......

Air 22
10-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Phase 1...:cool::smash:

BlownCrewCab
10-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Nice Box!

CJmike
10-29-2008, 02:30 PM
:toilet:

Red tie downs on a blue motor....

Air 22
10-29-2008, 02:55 PM
:toilet:

Red tie downs on a blue motor....

To be fair...I have a RED motor too.....:) and..... they were out of BLUE
tie-down's...lol:boggled:

kramsay1234
10-29-2008, 02:59 PM
When will you have that puppy in there?

Air 22
10-29-2008, 03:00 PM
When will you have that puppy in there?

Not sure yet...Prob mid November......:nilly:

Air 22
10-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Unboxed....:wink:

Dr. Dan
10-29-2008, 03:29 PM
:angel:So WTF is a Blue Tankini and what the heck does it have to do with an HP500 EFI?

Looks nice...only took you 5 years to come to your senses...had ya been patient initially you coulda been as cool as me along time ago. :wink:

Congrats Brother... I am very happy for you!

Doc of Random BiPasses:shades:

Air 22
10-29-2008, 03:34 PM
:angel:So WTF is a Blue Tankini and what the heck does it have to do with an HP500 EFI?
Looks nice...only took you 5 years to come to your senses...had ya been patient initially you coulda been as cool as me along time ago. :wink:
Congrats Brother... I am very happy for you!
Doc of Random BiPasses:shades:
ahhhhh....They Both are BLUE.:biggrin.::biggrin.::biggrin.:......:wink:

Thanks Doc..maybe now I can keep up and be half as cool...Doc of Random BiPasses often imitated but Never Duplicated....lol:)

Mr X
10-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Looks NICE !!

The Hedgehog
10-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Nice, I love to see someone step up to the plate. You won't regret it.

Donziweasel
10-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Very Nice!!!!! I want one! Might not even put it in anything. Just keep it in the garage so I can look at it occasionally because it looks sooooo damn good!:)

mike o
10-29-2008, 06:41 PM
:yes::yes::yes: in Oct... must be stoked...:yes::yes::yes:

Air 22
10-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Looks NICE !!

Thanks Ted...:wink:...I hope to have her running in late November or Early December...run her a few times on the near by lakes....just in time for the Miami Boat Show...:yes:

The first prop will be my Labbed Mercury Racing Bravo One 28P:shades: On a cold dry day My Carb 502 could only spin it 4800-4900 74mph gps....so it should be a nice change in speed and a notable change in getting there w more torque....:yes:

kramsay1234
10-29-2008, 08:36 PM
I just have to speak up again...That thing is sick!

Conquistador_del_mar
10-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Unboxed....:wink:

That engine is drop dead georgeous, and I'll bet it runs as well as it looks! Has anyone made a clear Lexan engine cover? :idea: Bill

smokediver
10-29-2008, 09:20 PM
looks great !!!

Air 22
10-29-2008, 09:54 PM
D,
Whats with the Latham stuff? Does it have the sealed PS pump connected to the reservoir? If so, is that useable with your PS system?
Dog..Only one motor had a powersteering reservoir...so thats the one I bought. On my 502 I was using the standard powersteering pump/reservoir as suggested by Zeiger. I just need to connect the 500EFI's HP line off the PS Pump to my Hyd sys filter...currently there is a red cap on the 500EFI's PS Pump HP nipple. There is a return line comming off the cooler that will have to be connected back to the Reservoir.:) If need parts..I will def call yaz!!:)

SilverBack
10-29-2008, 09:55 PM
That is a great looking engine. Congratulations!!! :worthy::worthy::worthy:You will definitely feel very important with that under the hatch!! What is the story with the engine? Didn't they stop making the 500 EFI in 2002? That is a great find!! I hear better things about the 500 than I do the 525.

Air 22
10-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Cool, bonus parts are always good :) :)

Thanks buddy:wink: I'm new to this 500EFI stuff so your input is very valuble..from what I c...I think its straight fwd to connect the hyd sys together..:bonk: I just have a fancy Reservoir I didn't have b4..:)

The Hedgehog
10-29-2008, 10:14 PM
That is a great looking engine. Congratulations!!! :worthy::worthy::worthy:You will definitely feel very important with that under the hatch!! What is the story with the engine? Didn't they stop making the 500 EFI in 2002? That is a great find!! I hear better things about the 500 than I do the 525.

I like the 500 and I like to feel important too. :pimp:

Donzi Vol
10-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Air 22, where exactly are you located in NC? West end maybe?

Air 22
10-29-2008, 10:19 PM
Air 22, where exactly are you located in NC? West end maybe?

Im in Raleigh...so 6-7hrs from u? I hear there r some serious river raftups in front of the Vol's Football stadium on Saturday's??:shades::)

roadtrip se
10-29-2008, 10:22 PM
so he did! Excess weight on the drag strip can always find its way to ebay, if he doesn't need it.

As for the blue tankini team, catch up DD, catch up!

Air 22
10-29-2008, 10:28 PM
"As for the blue tankini team, catch up DD, catch up!"

DD... will be catch'n up ....ohh Tripper of Stripper Pole Mainia:biggrin.::biggrin.::smileybo:

SilverBack
10-29-2008, 10:28 PM
I like the 500 and I like to feel important too. :pimp:

It is too late for you to have a 500 EFI!! Sorry. You should be feeling just a little important since you are the fastest present member of this board that I know anything about!!:embarasse

sweet 16 1966
10-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Very respectable! Many wish to follow but few will be able.
Were there two of them? Who picked up the mate?

RedDog
10-30-2008, 07:06 AM
Wow! That is nice!

And who said the economy is tanked...

Last Real Texan
10-30-2008, 07:18 AM
you are going to love the 500 EFI ! I sure love mine!

how many hours?

Tex

CHACHI
10-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Looks bitchin' just sitting there.
Would make a great coffee table with a glass top on it.
I'm jealous, congrats.

Ken

hot shot
10-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Air: Nice package, I will :worthy: to yor in advance. You do things right, Thats Cool.... MIck

BigGrizzly
10-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Nice motor, I think you will be very happy.

ITTLFLI
10-30-2008, 12:11 PM
very...very Nice!!!:yes:

FISHIN SUCKS
10-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Looks bitchin' just sitting there.
Would make a great coffee table with a glass top on it.

That's Funny! Maybe he could paint the old motor and make it a coffee table:wink:

Looks very nice AIR!

Air 22
10-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks guys for the positive remarks.:beer:..PHASE 2 should begin in mid November...I have some stringer work being done first... then its time for "BLUE" to settle into her new home in the 22. PHASE 3 if all goes well should be in December...:smash:

Air 22
12-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Well the 502 was pulled yesterday:smash: and she is @ the fiberglass repair shop for fix'n...more news in a week or so....Ed the owner jummped right in the bilge and said he's seen MUCH worse...its not a problem to fix and improve(Beef-up) over the original layout. He also has seen the BLUE replacement eng pkg:kingme: thus the need for some serious improvements...:crossfing::crossfing::wink:

KerrLake
12-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Would that be Ed at AutoMarine? I think I saw you are in the NC area. They did a great job on my transom if it is the same guy.

Air 22
12-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Would that be Ed at AutoMarine? I think I saw you are in the NC area. They did a great job on my transom if it is the same guy.

Yes...Same guy....he comes highly recomended...:wink: I should have the Donzi back in a few weeks:crossfing:

Air 22
01-27-2009, 08:04 PM
...Transom was pretty bad lower port side and I had a stress fracture on the upper side of port stringer eng mount area...in the shop now...comming out stronger....much stronger:wink: for the HP500EFI...here's a few pic's. First 3 are the B4 shots...the rest are the repairs thus far...she's comming along nice:pimp: The finished surface will be gel(to fill in pin holes etc) then a photo color matched Imron white for a smooth clean look.:) :crossfing:

fogducker III
01-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Beautiful work!!!!!!!

Looks like it is coming along well, how long do you figure before you can drop the blue monster in?

BigGrizzly
01-28-2009, 09:42 AM
OK what is this a beat FarmerTEX thing:wink: You have come a long way grasshopper. I hope it exceeds all your expectations.

Air 22
01-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Beautiful work!!!!!!!

Looks like it is coming along well, how long do you figure before you can drop the blue monster in?

Fog...I hope to have the project complete by the end of Feb...the glass work should be finished next Friday...then its rigging and install time. then we splash:)

Air 22
01-28-2009, 09:54 AM
OK what is this a beat FarmerTEX thing:wink: You have come a long way grasshopper. I hope it exceeds all your expectations.

Randy...I'm just try'n my best to do it right! Not beating anyone except myself...lol:):) thanks for the positive input!:)

BigGrizzly
01-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Air22, That is how I do it. My toughest competition is myself. As you know my boat isn't pretty, but it runs well and has good manners. The inside of the engine is as good looking as trailer. OK, OK I am hung up on your trailer. What matters most is that you are happy and it meets your expectations. You have never hear me complain because I am not as fast as someone else. I do state I wish my boat was blinged like yours Doc's, Hot Shot and others. That is my fault because of priorities. Just do what you do best, and bling the hell out of that thing. Just remember Taste not waste.

Air 22
02-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Well all the fiberglass repairs are complete...:wink:...Now for the really fun part...installing the 500:pimp:

BigGrizzly
02-05-2009, 05:40 PM
AND everything else. too

osur866
02-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Looking good!

DON N.
02-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Dwight that is looking great. Keep the pic's coming.

MDonziM
02-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Looks really nice. Did you do stringer work or just the transom? Beefing up the eng mounts?

MDonziM
02-05-2009, 07:57 PM
sorry, just re-visited your work in progress post. Did the stringer at the eng mount rot,crack or what?

Air 22
02-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Looks really nice. Did you do stringer work or just the transom? Beefing up the eng mounts?

Yes did all new stringers and transom. They are now tied in together(Stringer and Transom) The entire stringer and fiberglass work has been beef'd up for the 500. It is stong as heck now...overbuilt for strength, durability and reliability:wink:

Air 22
02-05-2009, 08:03 PM
sorry, just re-visited your work in progress post. Did the stringer at the eng mount rot,crack or what?

Yes and yes...stress fracture and minor rot topside of the port stringer and portside of transom.:boggled: It was mostly due to improper sealing of screws. Sealent (5200)wasn't used and anything drilled needs to be waterproof or u end up w a similar situation over time. This 14yr old boat is better than new now!:kingme:

MDonziM
02-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Good deal. Mine is a 94' and i'm pulling the eng in a month or so and i'm just wondering what to look for.

Air 22
02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Good deal. Mine is a 94' and i'm pulling the eng in a month or so and i'm just wondering what to look for.

Do urself a favor and get or have...someone go inside the eng compartment and outside area w a moisture meter...the type marine surveyer's use:wink: Tapping a hammer on the fiberglass etc just isnt enough IMO. In my case it "Looked and Sounded" ok....but was I wrong:nilly: The moisture meter told me the real story...:wink:

MDonziM
02-05-2009, 09:18 PM
I definitely will do the moisture check . thanks- mm

fogducker III
02-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Dwight, seriously, nice job................

I think you have enough room in the engine bay to hang an 'emergency horn"...........:wink::popcorn:

BigGrizzly
02-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Air, You have done it again now I may have to pretty up my bilge just so I can remain at the bottom of the pretty list instead of the ugly Betty of Donzis

mjw930
02-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Well all the fiberglass repairs are complete...:wink:...Now for the really fun part...installing the 500:pimp:

A couple of comments.

I see the drain holes to the rear of the stringers are a few inches forward of the transom. My concern would be water being trapped in the corner causing rot and mildew. Has the hull surface been contoured to flow water to the drains under the ledge where we can't see?

Aside from that I really like what I see. Now I have a template to guide me when I consider doing this on my '87.

BUIZILLA
02-06-2009, 08:47 AM
f*** it.... i'm just going to leave my hatch closed... heckuva lot cheaper that way... :cool:

RickSE
02-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Air 22, have you checked the underside of your hull for the inner lifting strake issue? You need a bright light under there if you do.

KerrLake
02-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Pics look good. Everything went smoothly with Ed? I'm taking my boat there for more work in a couple weeks.

Air 22
02-06-2009, 11:47 AM
A couple of comments.
I see the drain holes to the rear of the stringers are a few inches forward of the transom. My concern would be water being trapped in the corner causing rot and mildew. Has the hull surface been contoured to flow water to the drains under the ledge where we can't see?
Aside from that I really like what I see. Now I have a template to guide me when I consider doing this on my '87.

MJ...Water will not be trapped..the inside area of the stringers has been contoured....also it has been plumed so that water cannot remain in any cavity aft of the rear seat. These guys did an A+++ job. The entire area has been sealed so water will not go where it did b4. Marine grade wood was used for the entire repair. The work has a 5 year warranty no questions asked:wink: Ed..the owner assured me my boat wont need similar repairs in this area again..:cool:

Air 22
02-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Pics look good. Everything went smoothly with Ed? I'm taking my boat there for more work in a couple weeks.

I cannot say enough good things about the work Ed's shop does.:cool: I would recommend him to anyone needing fiberglass, stringer, Gel work etc:wink: First Class work...they even cleaned the boat and trailer returning it to me the I left it w them:thumbsup:

Air 22
02-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Air 22, have you checked the underside of your hull for the inner lifting strake issue? You need a bright light under there if you do.

Rick...yep..ck'd and all is good...:wink: thanks:)

HOWARD O
02-06-2009, 01:11 PM
That looks first class all the way, really nice work!

I know you said Auto Marine did the work.....is that the same one in Garner? Ed Hicks?

Good luck with the motor install, you have a beautiful boat. Hope to see it out at Lookout sometime! :yes:

smokediver
02-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Great looking job ! hope the instal goes smoothly for you !!

Air 22
02-06-2009, 01:33 PM
I know you said Auto Marine did the work.....is that the same one in Garner? Ed Hicks?
Good luck with the motor install, you have a beautiful boat. Hope to see it out at Lookout sometime! :yes:

Howard..Yes...U r correct..Ed Hicks owns Auto Marine.:wink:

Air 22
02-06-2009, 01:41 PM
f*** it.... i'm just going to leave my hatch closed... heckuva lot cheaper that way... :cool:

Jim...I can help ya shine ur engine compartment:kingme: Just bring something to AOTH and ur boat will be polished in no time...:kingme:

Everyone..Thanks for the nice comments:)..its nice to see that folks here recognize quality work:wink:...I only wish I had more to do with it than pay for it...lol:nilly::kingme: but some things are better handled by professionals:yes:

HOWARD O
02-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Not only do you have the piece of mind that the man stands behind his work, but you can feel good about adding to the local economy! :boggled:

You'll be airing it out in no time! :yes:

Lenny
02-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Dwight, did he Gel or paint the engine compartment?

This was a deck off repair, correct ?

Looks fabulous by the way :yes:

Trueser
02-06-2009, 04:18 PM

Dont you need a new rear hatch? I bet I can get you a deal on a new one.

:nilly:

Air 22
02-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Dwight, did he Gel or paint the engine compartment?

This was a deck off repair, correct ?

Looks fabulous by the way :yes:

Lenny...they put a Gelcoat down followed by Imron Paint. This accomplished 2 things..1. No pin holes in the surface texture, 2. The Imron paint make clean-up easy and it wont stain like Gelcoat can....not to mention adds a nice finish:)

Not a deck -off repair...the new stringers are tied in 12in behind rear seat and also with the new transom. The stringers were in good shape forward.:)

Air 22
02-07-2009, 09:46 PM

Howard...Cape Lookout is a terrific place:yes: We have a place on Emerald Isle....we usually launch @ the public docks in Moorehead City or a small ramp near the Atlantic Beach Bridge...:pimp: PM me ur # Crissy and I really luv it out there...:wink:

hot shot
02-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Dwight: this project i'll be has been fun it all seems to be going together in great fasion... I am looking forward to checkin it out at aoth... my project on the other had is running behind schedule due to the interior shop... glad to see your deal lookin too cool , I think a little blue in the bildge will really look good... see ya soon Mick

Air 22
02-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Dwight: this project i'll be has been fun it all seems to be going together in great fasion... I am looking forward to checkin it out at aoth... my project on the other had is running behind schedule due to the interior shop... glad to see your deal lookin too cool , I think a little blue in the bildge will really look good... see ya soon Mick

Mick...Thanks for the kind words:wink:...I will post some more pic's when the 500 is installed..Im out of town this week but return the 14th so completion I hope the following week. :crossfing:...it was 72deg here in NC today...man I cant wait to the sea trials begin:pimp:

Mr X
02-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Dwight, It Looks VERY NICE!! What is it painted with inside?

HOWARD O
02-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Mick...Thanks for the kind words:wink:...I will post some more pic's when the 500 is installed..Im out of town this week but return the 14th so completion I hope the following week. :crossfing:...it was 72deg here in NC today...man I cant wait to the sea trials begin:pimp:

It was absolutely beautiful up and down the Neuse River today! Hope it lasts a while longer. I think you'll have be just getting into the nice spring weather when you launch. :yes:

Air 22
02-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Dwight, It Looks VERY NICE!! What is it painted with inside?

Thanks TED:wink:...they put a Gelcoat down followed by Imron Paint. This accomplished 2 things..1. No pin holes in the surface texture, 2. The Imron paint make clean-up easy and it wont stain like Gelcoat can....not to mention adds a nice finish:pimp:

Air 22
02-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Ran the 500 on the stand with laptop yesterday...fired right up!:yes::kingme:...made me grin ear to ear to hear that baby roar:pimp:
The laptop program is incredible...complete engine analysis/diagnostics and history:wink:
All the vital signs checked out perfect...hope to complete final install this weekend:crossfing:...Pics to follow soon...:)

HOWARD O
02-21-2009, 07:50 AM
Ran the 500 on the stand with laptop yesterday...fired right up!:yes::kingme:...made me grin ear to ear to hear that baby roar:pimp:
The laptop program is incredible...complete engine analysis/diagnostics and history:wink:
All the vital signs checked out perfect...hope to complete final install this weekend:crossfing:...Pics to follow soon...:)

How does the laptop doohickey work, through the USB port? Are you able to program the ECU with it?

That's some slick stuff, I bet that thing sounded great! :yes:

Air 22
02-28-2009, 03:38 PM
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...:yes:.....rigging almost done....We have to order new Mercury Racing Tails from CMI as the ones on the HP500EFI didn't quite line up...figures:eek::nilly: Anyone need a pair of Mercury Racing Standard Bravo Tails??...pm me...they are for sale.

Bubba Dog
02-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Hey Dwight, Man that is beautiful work, aircraft quality. Love that blue motor. Bubba

BigGrizzly
03-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Loosk great I think it will be loud with thoes tips I went with silent choice because of it. The Corsican has a similar CMI setup, with silencers it has to sounds loud and louder. Time will tell. I am almost as excited as you are that your boat is coming along. Your face will glow, it will be great.

Air 22
03-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Loosk great I think it will be loud with thoes tips I went with silent choice because of it. The Corsican has a similar CMI setup, with silencers it has to sounds loud and louder. Time will tell. I am almost as excited as you are that your boat is coming along. Your face will glow, it will be great.

Grizz..I'm thinking of the Stainless Inserts like DON N. has...they lower the decibles 8-10 ish and would fit perfect inside my 8" tips.

Yes it will be loud:nilly:..you've heard the fine Dr.'s 500:) so ur already prepared...:kingme:

Lenny
03-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Very nice :yes:

Air 22
03-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Very nice :yes:

Thanks Lenny and all who have posted positive feedback:)...here is another pic taken today. The boss made the CMI Tail measurements today (3 times just to be sure) and placed the order..2 weeks they say:crossfing::crossfing:
Ordered new U-Flex shift cables for the Livorsi Side Mount Shifter today as well.:)
Hanging the drive tomorrow and pulling her home...feewwwww wadda project:doh:

When the tails arrive it will be SPLASH TIME...:pimp::beer::thumbsup::fam:

FISHIN SUCKS
03-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Ahhhh, so clean and pure.......but she's mean! Looks fantastic. lookin forward to seein her run at AOTH!!!

Air 22
03-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Fish...Thanks...Im just try'n to keep it clean...all the REAL work is being done by my mechanic Diego...without question the most detailed orientated, knowledgeable engine guy I know. Fantastic work from A-Z;)

RickSE
03-02-2009, 09:26 PM
I have the big baffle tips on the 500EFI in my 22 and like them. They're huge, low restriction and they do a great job of taking out the bark but still leave an agressive tone.

ITTLFLI
03-03-2009, 07:47 AM
Looks really good! I'm sure she'll sound even better than she looks!!

SWEET!:newzealand:

hot shot
03-03-2009, 08:12 AM
wowie that blue sure looks great....and so neet and clean.... i'll bet she runs as good as it looks mick

roadtrip se
03-03-2009, 08:27 AM
is sure going to clash with all of that red.

Air 22
03-03-2009, 09:30 AM
is sure going to clash with all of that red.
Honestley Tripper?...its the same color layout u have....:D...just a lil more bling...lol :pimp:

roadtrip se
03-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Honestley Tripper?...its the same color layout u have....:D...just a lil more bling...lol :pimp:

with the custom tails fabrication wait, to paint the top of that thing a nice cherry, anondized, sparkling, blingtastic with eight deep coats of RED.

It would only be right.

Just bustin ya.

Air 22
03-03-2009, 10:14 AM
with the custom tails fabrication wait, to paint the top of that thing a nice cherry, anondized, sparkling, blingtastic with eight deep coats of RED.
It would only be right.
Just bustin ya.

I'll get right on that....:D

Air 22
03-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Placed the Custom Tails order last Monday March 2nd with CMI...Arrived today...AND THEY FIT(b/c of My Superior Mechanic Diego:smash::thumbsup:).....ya gotta luv that kind of service!! A++ all the way..:yes::pimp:
The project is almost complete...:biggrin.:

BUIZILLA
03-13-2009, 03:36 PM
CMI tails in a week?

hey Danny > :mad:

:outtahere:

Air 22
03-13-2009, 03:46 PM
CMI tails in a week?

Jim...to be fair...its not what you know...its WHO you know...lol:)...I went with...
ATECO Engines and Dyno Shop
Shop Address
2103 Washington St.
Waukegan, IL 60085
Tel: (847) 623-2737
Fax: (847) 623-2752

http://www.atecoengines.com/

They are one of 3 CMI Distributors in the US
Ask for Bill Lawson...My engine guy knows him...These guys do it right...no hassels just great results!:yes: :kingme:

roadtrip se
03-14-2009, 10:02 AM
on the parade, but you might want to fit them up first, before making too much noise...

Don't ask me how I know this.

Air 22
03-14-2009, 10:08 AM
on the parade, but you might want to fit them up first, before making too much noise...
Don't ask me how I know this.

Waaaaaaay ahead of ya Tripper....I did that B4 POSTING...:yes::biggrin.::bighug:

roadtrip se
03-14-2009, 10:13 AM
This is your year Dwight, so make it happen... Still concerned about all of that red and blue. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

As for Poodle:

I am thinking of several new uses for the hickory pile...

Air 22
03-14-2009, 10:30 AM
This is your year Dwight, so make it happen... Still concerned about all of that red and blue. :bighug::bighug::bighug:
As for Poodle:
I am thinking of several new uses for the hickory pile...
Thanks Todd....More pic's to follow when she's done soon....
BTW...below is what we have in our flower pot's...lol:biggrin.:

BUIZILLA
03-14-2009, 11:09 AM
the first pic I recognize from my shrinks office... the book on the table gives it away :pimp:

Dr. Dan
03-14-2009, 12:40 PM
CMI tails in a week?

:worthy:I know Jim I was impressed with that kind of turn around...I will be interested to see how it all comes together.

I think I went through 3 or 4 shipments from one of the "3" distributors? I know the Tails kinda became the achelles heel of the whole retrofit.

I hope it all comes together this well that will be great.:wavey:

Danny :wavey:

Air 22
03-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Well today was the 1st shake-down run w the new HP500EFI...all I can say is Holy Sh--...:biggrin: As the fine Dr. pointed out..."you really have a different boat now"...well he was spot on.:yes::worthy: The acceleration is incredible:odie:...a vastly different animal than the 502 was:smash:
With full tank of gas and my 11 year old daughter Ashley as my 1st mate we had a blast...78gps on flat water w more to go:)...Boat was rock solid...no chine walk..needed very little trim to let her run...I was really supprised she'd run like this on calm water..wow:eek:...Not enough lake to really stretch her out today... I need more seat time b4 going any faster...:drive:
One step at a time....:beer:...
My mechanic Diego has done one heck of a fine job w this project...no leaks, no problems what so ever....absolutley fantastic workmanship...:worthy::kingme:
More pic's to follow...

mattyboy
03-22-2009, 07:34 AM
Dwight
great news glad everything went well, I told Marie after we talked yesterday you were going boating we were both jealous we were on yard duty all day only thing I got to run was my mouth and my chain saw ;)

BigGrizzly
03-22-2009, 08:03 AM
That is cool, SHE looks really good- the first mate that is. The boat well its the way it always is neat and clean and good looking. Seat time another 2 mph. maybe we can get a real prop on it:yes::yes::yes:

roadtrip se
03-22-2009, 10:51 AM
will work. Now the whole, it's not the final number but how you get there discussion makes sense doesn't it? There may be others out there that can claim a big number, but you'll be long gone before they ever get to prove it. I've learned this lesson quite a few times from Byron... but I keep going back for more, because I can. Have fun and respect it!

Dr. Dan
03-22-2009, 01:40 PM
:angel:Dwight congratulations and welcome to the 80 mph club... it's got a heck of a "cover charge" to get in but the maintenance fees smooth out over time.

Nice to have another Blue Motor in the crowd... that makes it Culotta, RT, RickS, and who else with Naturally Aspirated Blue power? Aren't there more than 4 of us out there?

Gonna have to create a limited edition line of Blue Motor Donzi Gear.

We have talked about this all before...enjoy the acceleration like a drag car, the turn key performance and reliabilty, the simple charm of having no more to do so that you have to tweak a few mph out of an over priced prop, the safety and handling of not ever having to over trim your drive again...why? Because you don't have to.

The best part of the HP500EFI is its pretty proven and is one of the best all around performance motors ever developed for the Marine Market. It's a great set up and I know you will be happy with it.

Now stop pouring ridiculous amounts of $$$$ into the Donzi and enjoy it...drive it, learn it. This is what you have been waiting for... beyond this point it gets silly.

Congrats again...look forward to running with you...:thumbsup:

See Ya On the Water

Doc of the Blues :screwy:

undertaker
03-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Dwight, that is awesome...glad everything is working smooth so far....was the new top end speed with the special 4 blade prop;);):yes:..curious minds wanna know:biggrin.: see ya at AOTH

Undertaker:troll:

smokediver
03-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Congrats Dwight ! Why are you wearing a jacket :kyle:? still cold up there ?

DONZI
03-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Congrat's on a great 1st outing Dwight !
The smiles say it all !:biggrin.:

Making memories.
I am sure someday your daughter will recall this day and that in itself is PRICELESS.

KerrLake
03-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Awesome. Don't forget that I'm just up the road on the BIG lake with LOTS of room!
Brian

Air 22
03-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks all of you for the for the kind words:)...Todd, Danny RickSE, ALL the Blue Motor guys/gals these engines are INCREDIBLE!!:yes::beer:

Today was clean-up day..:pimp:.I wanted to run again but there was a Bass Tourney going on so I decided to avoid the 10,000 or so fishermen this time:biggrin.: They will hear me again soon enough...:kingme:

MDonziM
03-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks all of you for the for the kind words:)...Todd, Danny RickSE, ALL the Blue Motor guys/gals these engines are INCREDIBLE!!:yes::beer:

Today was clean-up day..:pimp:.I wanted to run again but there was a Bass Tourney going on so I decided to avoid the 10,000 or so fishermen this time:biggrin.: They will hear me again soo enough...:kingme:

Thats awesome you had no issues. Pics look great, cant say enough about how good she looks. Stock bravo right? What prop did you run again?

BUIZILLA
03-22-2009, 07:47 PM
sanitary... :worthy:

need for speed
03-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Very nice!!:yes:

RickSE
03-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Congrats Air 22, boat looks great.

I fell in love with the 500-22 when I rode in the one back in 2001, never thought I'd see or ride in another one, then I ended up buying one. :rlol:

Have fun and be safe.

Air 22
03-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Clip on the lanyard is buggering up the boat duuude...

Good eye Cabana Boy:wink:..No lanyard problems...its a finger print w grease go figure..lol :bonk:
I'm getting the Magic Eraser now...:biggrin.::smash:...no worries..:outtahere:

Air 22
03-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Clip on the lanyard is buggering up the boat duuude...
Fixed..:smash:....:pimp:
These Livorsi Side Mount Shifter's really are sweet...very smooth and responsive(maybe thats just the BIG BLUE under the hatch..:kingme:)
Again my mechanic Diego did a sweet install..:wink:
BTW anyone in the NC area that is considering upgrades etc PM me ...I can't say enough great things about my mechanic Diego. My pic's show some of his work..but its what you dont see that really stands out. Integrity, knowledge and attention to details...and then some..:wink::thumbsup: You not only have quality workmanship:yes:...but a piece of mind and mechanic that stands behind his work!:)

Carl C
04-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Dwight, looks great. Congrats on getting it done and no problems.:cool:

hot shot
04-26-2009, 07:54 AM
what prop and what rpm ? have you got anymore seat time ?
mabe someday the flower pot will ride again.... you must stay on top of that hehehe..... the earlier post of you with the smile sais it all... your lovely little angel looks to be having fun as well.... great job dwight !!!

widowmaker
04-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Dwight,
I can't wait to see your boat, but I guess that I'll have to wait until the CAROLINA CONVOY travels to Cumberland. Great job!!!

Air 22
04-26-2009, 10:42 AM
:thumbsup:
what prop and what rpm ? have you got anymore seat time ?
mabe someday the flower pot will ride again.... you must stay on top of that hehehe..... the earlier post of you with the smile sais it all... your lovely little angel looks to be having fun as well.... great job dwight !!!

Thanks Mick...My daughter Ashley had a blast on our fist time out. I ran the same prop that I used w my 502 a labbed Merc Racing 28P. It was a 7mph increase first run on flat water 78mph @ 5400 RPM. Im thinking 29P-30P prop as 5400rpm is to high...and that was on calm water...get her running on a 1-2foot chop..fly'n level :drive:should see maybe see 50-100+ more RPM thus a taller prop is going to be required. I plan on trying a few of Big Griz's props TXP etc @ AOTH.
A 3 blade will be the fastest...hoping for 80mph when dialed in:crossfing:...i'm close real close..I can taste it...:yes: The 500 is a great motor:yes:...many of you here recommended it...thanks for the thumbs up:wink::pimp:

Air 22
04-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Dwight,
I can't wait to see your boat, but I guess that I'll have to wait until the CAROLINA CONVOY travels to Cumberland. Great job!!!

TED..I wanna try one more run b4 Cumberland...maybe next SAT...I've been to Eaton's Ferry on Gaston and Satterwhite Point Marina on Lake Kerr...:boat:
Either way...AOTH is going to be awsome:yes:

Ghost
04-26-2009, 11:13 AM
TED..I wanna try one more run b4 Cumberland...maybe next SAT...I've been to Eaton's Ferry on Gaston and Satterwhite Point Marina on Lake Kerr...:boat:
Either way...AOTH is going to be awsome:yes:

Pick up some Bob's BBQ at the Butner/Creedmoor exit off 85...

Carl C
04-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Sounds like 80 mph is easily there.

Air 22
04-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Added a little sparkle today..:pimp:

The Hedgehog
04-29-2009, 09:37 PM

NICE:pimp:

BigGrizzly
04-30-2009, 08:42 AM
I like it and it is good for the engine.

DON N.
04-30-2009, 09:41 AM
I think dwight could have been a professional photographer !

Air 22
04-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Ran the 22 this morning...67deg...calm water 1/2 tank....80.0 GPS:eek:

BBLades reduced my slip 4.5% on the top end and 4% cruising

Slip was 16% now down to 12%..by far the best Speed for your dollar increase outta my wallet yet:wink: $190.00 for 3mph gain in an area that usually run's $1000's for 1mph. BBlades IMO does fantastic work.:yes::wink:

RPM 3000 43.0 was 42
RPM 4000 60.5 was 56
RPM 5000 75.5 was 72
RPM 5275 80.0 was 77 and 5400RPM

Big Griz..wadda ya think I should try for a 3 blade @ AOTH? 29TXP for starters?
I also wanna try a 30P MERCURY RACING Bravo One if anyone has one(labbed or not)...
The HP500 is a machine....wadda ride:wink:

undertaker
04-30-2009, 10:14 AM

Looks like Doc's motor....:wink::popcorn::bonk:

Air 22
04-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Looks like Doc's motor....:wink::popcorn::bonk:

Very observant Ed..it really is his motor:eek:...and I put it in my boat while it was up in LG last fall...lol..:smash:...:kingme:

undertaker
04-30-2009, 10:23 AM
:shades::shades::shades::):):):)

Air 22
04-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Big Griz..wadda ya think I should try for a 3 blade @ AOTH? 29TXP for starters?
I also wanna try a 30P MERCURY RACING Bravo One if anyone has one(labbed or not)...

BigGrizzly
04-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Well the truth is you do not have enough power to spin a 30 TXP. I would be surprised if you could spin a 29. With a shorty you could but with a Std drive a 27 or 28 would be it. I turn a 29. RTrip with short spins a 29. Doc uses a 27. I will have them with me so take your best shot.

Air 22
04-30-2009, 08:30 PM
Well the truth is you do not have enough power to spin a 30 TXP. I would be surprised if you could spin a 29. With a shorty you could but with a Std drive a 27 or 28 would be it. I turn a 29. RTrip with short spins a 29. Doc uses a 27. I will have them with me so take your best shot.

Randy..Thanks..I look fwd to trying a few...:wink:

BUIZILLA
04-30-2009, 09:05 PM
that looks like 79.5 to me...

anonymous

Dr. Dan
04-30-2009, 09:31 PM

:cool:Actually I am running a 26 TXP and so is Undertaker, I have a 25 TXP but it has been borrowed by a Phantom Minx and she is otherwise occupied?

Randy I might buy another 26 TXP if you have one...

See ya in a couple weeks...:cool!:

Doc of Mercury Racings - House of Blues :shades:

BigGrizzly
05-01-2009, 07:41 AM
Doc, I should have one or two with me. With that being said then air boy will be a 27 which puts him about 82 on a good day, but with hydraulic steering it could be a tad higher. It could be interesting to see if the out of the box TXP beats the fabled BBlades. I have done it before lets see if I can do a repete performance.

Air 22
05-01-2009, 07:49 AM
82?...hmmmm... now u have my attention Grizz...consider the 27 sold if ur right :kingme::yes:

BigGrizzly
05-01-2009, 08:06 AM
I figured it would wake you up. If nothing else you have already learned to test and only make one change at a time. No promises, nothing ventured nothing gained. Next project is to teach you about prop hubs and drive durability.

roadtrip se
05-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Next project is to teach you about prop hubs and drive durability.

Is this where you try to slip him the rubber? Just busting ya, Grizz. He knows my preference and reminds me of it, but in my opinion rubber belongs
on Bayliners.

For the record, my TXP is a 28, and as hard as Dwight is turning the Bravo, I think he will be able to turn it. Let's see what happens during testing.

SilverBack
05-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Just so you will know....Brett is a Turbo dealer and he gets some props that not everyone else gets. He also labs turbo props....If you really can get 82 with a txp .......Brett can probably get you some more speed out of it. I am not sure if he has a labbed TXP on his loaner program but I just wanted to let you know......Not too many people realize that he knows the Turbo props too....Brett at BBLADES is great to deal with!! Good luck!!!

Air 22
05-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks Silver for the info...:wink: I agree Brett does really nice work:yes:
I have one prop pretty much dialed in...now for a second...gotta have two.:)

A labbed 27, 28 or maybe 29 Turbo TXP hmmmmm....:drool:

BigGrizzly
05-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Keith, As for labbing BBlades I know he is a TXP dealer but he pushes merc. Trust me I know more about Brett and his history. Brett is good, and was tough by one of the best. Precision Propellers was started by one of the other 4 top prop men in the industry. I am NOT a fan of Labbed props the god almighty one mile per hour does not mean that much to me. If I want to go faster I just put more ponies in the motor. I am more capable of that then Brett is on labbing props. You see when your a merc dealer, you need something to beat the competition's stock stuff.:yes::yes: That has been said many times. To each his own. Trust me on this Air22 knows very well about BBlades, he was testing props before you had your Donzi. If you really want go fast stop playing around and go directly to Herring. If you don't believe me talk to MrX.

Air 22
05-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Grizz...whatever prop it is...If i c 81-82 w a HP500EFI and standard Bravo One drive I believe that would be very close to limit of my power pkg and drive. I'm close now... and havn't had the boat running in ideal water conditions yet only calm water..so there is maybe 1mph in it yet. Your info is appreciated..test time should be fun..looking fwd to it:wink:

BigGrizzly
05-01-2009, 06:57 PM
This is the fun part. some HP500 s can and some can not. I am betting on your ability to adapt and drive it to its potential.