PDA

View Full Version : MCI Bus declares bankruptcy.......

Donziweasel
10-29-2008, 11:20 AM
On Sept 25, 2008, MCI Bus, a company I have dealt with for years, declared bankruptcy. I know that most of you have never and will never deal with MCI, but this was a strong company that has fallen big time. If it can happen to the United States only commuter and luxury bus manufactured, it can happen to Chrysler and GM. Wonder how Prevost (Canada), Setra and Van Hool (Europe) are doing. There are only 4 commuter and luxury bus manufacturers left in the world in the full size bus market.

CJmike
10-29-2008, 01:25 PM
http://www.newflyer.com/

Not the only bus manufactured in the USA. These are made just down the road from Minneapolis. But defiantly not luxury busses.

Donziweasel
10-29-2008, 02:02 PM
There are many manufactures of transit and shuttle busses, including Champion, Federal, El Dorado, Goshen, GMC, etc..... MCI is the only full sized coach manufacturer in the US. Their market is the tourism industry, commuter industry (ie Greyhound) and luxury market.

As far as the other smaller bus and transit bus companies, I hear and see many going under in the next few months. I just placed an order for 3 new Federals. My dealer was so excited to get an order he about freaked! Market is dead right now. Companies like mine are sitting on rolling stock until the economy turns. Municipalities that run transit busses are also sitting on rolling stock as they can not afford to replace current inventories.

I bet Van Hool and Setra pull out of the US market as MCi and Prevost probably had 80% of the market anyway. Prevost is currently, IMHO, the best coach manufacturer out there. These busses are not cheap, costing around 350,000.00-500,000.00 each. With MCI in trouble, Prevost might become the only North American coach producer. They are a Canadian company and do a damn good job. I run both MCI and Prevost. Like the Prevost better. Wonder what John Madden is going to be riding around in.:bonk:

kramsay1234
10-29-2008, 03:05 PM
I knew of these guys quite well. That is a shocker.

BUIZILLA
10-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Now that CAT left the engine market for 2010, Prevost is going through quite the power package shuffle... DDA won't sell Series 60 to them anymore because of emissions stuff, so I hear they went to Volvo and didn't get a warm reception, as Volvo has their hands full delivering product anyways.. maybe MAN will step up... rumor has it another engine alliance is in the works with PACCAR at the helm.... since CAT left the truck engine market after 2009, I can't imagine a 379 Pete with anything except a C15 CAT, but...... :eek:

Lenny
10-29-2008, 05:15 PM
John, ever driven by that MotorCoach place on the side of the I-5 in Central Oregon. Seems like a mile of Million dollar plus coaches? Unbelievable stuff.

Then there was the Presidential Eagle 1984 MotorCoach that went for sale last week at Barrett Jackson at Madalay Bay in Vegas. Went for $40K I believe.

Donziweasel
10-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Never driven by there, but heard it is REALLY impressive. I have been to thier facility in Los Angeles, actually Long Beach. Fairly nice. One thing that impressed me was no doors on thier maintenence bays, which hold about 20 coaches. I thought, man, wouldn't it be nice to work in this climate! Open one of my bay doors in the winter and the bay goes from 68 degrees to -20.:) Almost bought a new MCI this past spring, but decided to buy 2 used Prevost H-3 41's.

Jim, how about Cummins? I know MCI offers (or use to) Cat, DDA, and Cummins. Perhaps they could fill the DDA void. I run a few DD Series 60's. Nice engines. Also have a few Cat 3208 Turbo's. Although an aging engine, it is a damn good on IMHO.

One reason I like Prevost is parts. Usually have everything I need in stock and delivered fast. MCI is really poor. Everything seems backorderd. A coach sitting in the yard for a month or two awaiting parts is losing money.

Ed Donnelly
10-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Why would Prevost have problems getting Volvo engines??
They are owned by Volvo Bus Corporation, a division of Volvo Group...Ed

BUIZILLA
10-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Why would Prevost have problems getting Volvo engines??
They are owned by Volvo Bus Corporation, a division of Volvo Group...Ed industry scuttlebutt is Volvo can't build enough engines to satisfy this market.... the S60 has enjoyed excellent track record in Prevosts, especially with custom coach owners, and that seems to be a goner as does CAT.... I haven't heard any finals decisions here yet, but I am out of the loop on internal workings... with CAT pulling COMPLETELY out of the truck engine supply chain, things are going to get very interesting a year from now... the 2010 emission's reg's are wayyyy stupid, and CAT only builds 8% of their total engine production for on-highway platforms.... 8% market share doesn't add up to a complete redesign, or fresh new design(s), of an engine(s) of this caliber... that 8% is a total of class 6-8 truck platforms combined
I have an itch to restore/slam an 84-87 359 Pete non sleeper single axle, with a 3406 CAT just for giggles, has to have the Corvette dash though..

Donziweasel
10-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Buiz, is Cummins an alternative? What is the word on them? I guess if they lose the Dodge contract due to Chryler going under or being bought, it could hurt them pretty bad.

BUIZILLA
10-29-2008, 08:10 PM
the Dodge/Cummins love fest doesn't interfere with the bus segment... 2 completely different bedfellows... the ISM/M11 family is doing well in the transit boxcars, and the ISX600 is a powerhouse in the larger coaches.... if it was me, I would seek out one ISX bus and one MAN/Volvo combo and see whats best for you.. i'm not sure what the Setra has for a squirrel cage, but i'm seeing more of them on the road lately...

SilverBack
10-29-2008, 09:23 PM
industry scuttlebutt is Volvo can't build enough engines to satisfy this market.... the S60 has enjoyed excellent track record in Prevosts, especially with custom coach owners, and that seems to be a goner as does CAT.... I haven't heard any finals decisions here yet, but I am out of the loop on internal workings... with CAT pulling COMPLETELY out of the truck engine supply chain, things are going to get very interesting a year from now... the 2010 emission's reg's are wayyyy stupid, and CAT only builds 8% of their total engine production for on-highway platforms.... 8% market share doesn't add up to a complete redesign, or fresh new design(s), of an engine(s) of this caliber... that 8% is a total of class 6-8 truck platforms combined

I have an itch to restore/slam an 84-87 359 Pete non sleeper single axle, with a 3406 CAT just for giggles, has to have the Corvette dash though..

Jim that would be a great setup!! I bought 4 Pete 379's with 425 HP 3406s back in the early 90's. My family runs over 400 power units and they have steered away from CAT for years. It seems like Detroit has gone down hill since around 97 - 98. My family runs mostly Cummins ISX but they don't seem to be what they used to be. They run the DD16 in their freight shakers and D13 in the Volvo's these days.

boxy
10-29-2008, 09:23 PM

Here you go Jim.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1864836&guid=B4EA6165B3334FCD95F0065CBD0FA33F

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1858118&guid=B4EA6165B3334FCD95F0065CBD0FA33F

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1624613&guid=B4EA6165B3334FCD95F0065CBD0FA33F

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1859041&guid=B4EA6165B3334FCD95F0065CBD0FA33F

I've always wanted to combine these two trucks, and end up with a Parade Truck to use with my Dad....

gold-n-rod
10-29-2008, 09:42 PM
How about this bad boy? I pass it everyday on my way to work. I'd live to have this as a toy.
http://www.holtautosales.com/inventory/77_red_semi_semi.htm
http://www.holtautosales.com/inventory/semi/semi%20truck%20001.JPG