PDA

View Full Version : Interesting or not....65 Barrelback

Last Real Texan
10-29-2008, 07:57 AM
http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORIGINAL-RARE-1ST-YEAR-1965-DONZI-BARRELBACK-RUNABOUT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1163Q7c3 9Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp32 86Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem390004009631QQitemZ3900040 09631 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORIGINAL-RARE-1ST-YEAR-1965-DONZI-BARRELBACK-RUNABOUT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1163Q7c3 9Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp32 86Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem390004009631QQitemZ3900040 09631)

chappy
10-29-2008, 08:09 AM
I saw this one the other night. Barrelback?

mike o
10-29-2008, 08:56 AM
I saw it also yesterday. Says he's on the board.........

mattyboy
10-29-2008, 08:57 AM
seriously

aside from the sellers lack of donzi model identification this would appear to be an early 65 ish model 16 judging by the vent arrangement on the rear deck
it does look to have had some work on it the 4 clamshell vents holes the dash cut out

i think they also put some of those wakashah motors in at the factory

to bad it had the floor cut out and the ski locker cut in half

judging from the transom cut out this was an eaton boat upgraded to a volvo 200

cutwater
10-29-2008, 09:03 AM
I saw it also yesterday. Says he's on the board.........

He's member "chaneyboy"... hasn't logged on in 3 years...

Barrelback? Looks just like my Ski Sporter...

And I got mine for $1100.

:biggrin:

mrfixxall
10-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Aint no barrel back!! looks like that pos that the junk yard was selling lasy year,,i think it sold for $650.00

BERTRAM BOY
10-29-2008, 09:41 AM
I'd say that there wasn't an Eaton drive in this boat originally. It's missing the 3 thru-bolts on either side of the outdrive cutout. Besides, the earliest 16's didn't have clamshell vents on the rear deck. I'd say it's most likely a '66, not a '65.

Donziweasel
10-29-2008, 09:49 AM
Doesn't look like a barrel back to me.:confused:

cutwater
10-29-2008, 09:52 AM
I'd say that there wasn't an Eaton drive in this boat originally. It's missing the 3 thru-bolts on either side of the outdrive cutout. Besides, the earliest 16's didn't have clamshell vents on the rear deck. I'd say it's most likely a '66, not a '65.

Agreed. I wonder if there's a way to date it with the Waukesha part #'s?

Still, could be a nice project for someone, but the buy-in is a bit pricey :nilly:

mattyboy
10-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Cliff,
as i said it looked to have worked done the 4 clam shell vents were probably added on later 4 clamshell vents didn't come along to 68, by 67 they stopped using the rear deck vent , if you look at the pic in the bilge you can see bolts that are outside of the volvo cut out plus the cut out looks to be too rounded plus it looks to be a white boat painted and the serial number on the motor looks like a 65

it would be interesting to see the other side of the volvo to see if it is an early one with the 2 dots instaed of the one big rubber drive stop

BERTRAM BOY
10-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Still, could be a nice project for someone, but the buy-in is a bit pricey :nilly:

Agreed. I paid less that half of that for mine, and it was in much better shape.

BigGrizzly
10-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Except for the Wakashaw it is just like our 16. This was probably one of the first eatons/ christlers after the external cable shift.

Speed Racer
10-29-2008, 10:38 AM
I'll give him $25.00 for the handrail...

Garry
1967 SS V-drive
Seattle, WA

mattyboy
10-29-2008, 10:40 AM
in reviewing the pics it might not have been an eaton that cut out is still funky but it is earlier than a 66 as it has the same dash panel as the 16 prototype made by volvo penta i would say it was definetly a 65 by the serial number on the motor

just a thought by early 67 they had built 400 hulls how many were produced in 64 then in 65, and then in 66??? that's a 133 1/3 hulls a year average it just seems like when an old one comes along everyone says no it's a 66 there have to be some more around from 65 and 64 a mean did they build 25 in 64 then 50 in 65 and then 325 in 66 ???? a ton of work was done to this boat looks like i painted it that red paint is everywhere

mattyboy
10-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Griz,

we know I mean you know the history on your 16 what year was it and what type of vents did it have clamshell and how many or did it have the rear louvre vent

BERTRAM BOY
10-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Matty,
I could have been a "one off" so to speak. My 66 Barrelback 18 came with Buick 340/ OMC drive, and had an oddball dash panel. It wasn't a particularly early boat.

Donzi Vol
10-29-2008, 11:35 AM
I saw this one the other night. Barrelback?

Nope. First, Barrel Backs are only 18's. Secondly, what makes a BB a BB is that where the deck meets the hull, both are curved. Look closely at this boat. The top of the deck is curved, but where the deck and hull meet are both flat. Take a look at this...it's a Barrel Back (and for sale:wink:)

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54259

cutwater
10-29-2008, 11:44 AM
I'll give him $25.00 for the handrail...

Garry
1967 SS V-drive
Seattle, WA

Garry did you change your name??

chappy
10-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Nope. First, Barrel Backs are only 18's. Secondly, what makes a BB a BB is that where the deck meets the hull, both are curved. Look closely at this boat. The top of the deck is curved, but where the deck and hull meet are both flat. Take a look at this...it's a Barrel Back (and for sale:wink:)

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54259

I was being polite.

Donziweasel
10-29-2008, 01:36 PM
It's not a Barrelback. I don't like to bash a sale item, but he is asking WAY too much for that 16. If it was a 16 barrelback, it could possibly be worth some $$$$ due to the historical value, but in it's current condition, I find it hard to justify 4000.00, especailly with that trailer. I bet it doesn't get a bid. I think 4000.00 is what he personally needs, not what it is worth. I hope it does get rescued and restored though as it is a cool boat.

Donzi Vol
10-29-2008, 04:11 PM
I was being polite.

Chappy, I only quoted your post because it was the question of the thread. I wasn't really responding to you directly, just putting in my two cents for the thread. Sorry for any confusion.

f_inscreenname
10-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Knock a zero off and I would add it to my collection. In it's present condition 4 grand is not going to happen.

BigGrizzly
10-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Matty, the dash is just like the guy Bob who was next to us. The little indicators are a add on, we use to put them in our cars it is a light and a little plastic push in piece, not original equipment. The vents, on ours, we bough new a 1966 and still have, are one forward and one rear facing with a bilge blower in it. the rear louver was on the boat but there were no holes behind it. Ours did not have the international lighting-one rear(180 viewing) one bow (red and green) and a deck mounted 180 front facing light. Ours had the conventional lighting One bow and one rear all around. Bob's, was a 65 and had the external shift and had a 260 interceptor in it, A 185 horse, I think. Some where I have a 1965 and 1966 price sheet with all the options, but can't find them. If I do I promised Poodle to give them to him for history. When I go to the Miami I will try to get pictures. It is un restored and no changes except for fuel tank and engine.

mattyboy
10-30-2008, 08:39 AM
jeez can I get some whine with that cheese??? allright already we know it's high we know it's not a barreleback :tongue:

please put that aside for a momment this I think is an early boat and we need to research it some more the chance might not present itself again the prefix WLD has been seen before on the motors of an early donzi I am trying to find where i saw it maybe on the really old eaton boat with the grab rail on backwards give me time i'll find it

I did a lil search on waukesha motors they have built their own motors since the early 1900's marine motors too since then and have a big part in the oil gas drilling world but they did also make marine and automotive motors of their own design

some thoughts could this be a 4 or 6 banger??? we know some early boats had them

seriously on production numbers there have to be some early boats still left out there
rumor has it that the first 25 16 had eatons then they stopped using them but why are there still 18's with eatons built?? surely there had to be 25 16's built before the production of the 18 started in 65??? then why use them on the 18's if they knew they were weak???
we also know there are early boats single digit hull numbers that were 4 cyl volvos

they were putting them out like hotcakes back then and the first boats were all white with colored stripes were they not

anyone close can grab a flashlite and look??? I already did a roadtrip this week don't think my ribs could stand another one this weekend, Pearson on the cross bronx expwy is worth the price of admission LMAO "doesn't anyone of these stoopid mutha ****ers now how to use their ****ing directionals I can't stand this how the **** do you do this everyday Matty, ( horn Blows) shove that ****ing no good **ck sucking horn and that piece of **** you are driving up your ass"

mattyboy
10-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Matty, the dash is just like the guy Bob who was next to us. The little indicators are a add on, we use to put them in our cars it is a light and a little plastic push in piece, not original equipment. The vents, on ours, we bough new a 1966 and still have, are one forward and one rear facing with a bilge blower in it. the rear louver was on the boat but there were no holes behind it. Ours did not have the international lighting-one rear(180 viewing) one bow (red and green) and a deck mounted 180 front facing light. Ours had the conventional lighting One bow and one rear all around. Bob's, was a 65 and had the external shift and had a 260 interceptor in it, A 185 horse, I think. Some where I have a 1965 and 1966 price sheet with all the options, but can't find them. If I do I promised Poodle to give them to him for history. When I go to the Miami I will try to get pictures. It is un restored and no changes except for fuel tank and engine.

Thanks Randy, so in 66 they were setup like mine 2 clamshell in the fwd part of the hatch one fwd one backward not 4 clamshells mine also had the louvre but not holes this boat has has holes so it is before 66
mine had the red green bow lite and the white stern light mounted in front of the handrail on the front deck it also had the anchor light in the stern louvre some one over time added a standard mast white light on the back deck at one point in it's life which happens alot anyone with a 2 inch hole saw can add clamshell vents

mattyboy
10-30-2008, 09:05 AM
i submit for your purusal and all white boat with a volvo and a matching dash
btw it's an early one

BigGrizzly
10-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Ours was a early H&M with a Eaton (internal shift cable) on the outside and H&M on the inside. the plate disappeared when the engine was changed(stupid me) and a new bell housing was used. Odd thing is ours did not have the spacer tube in it it is right on the transom. The internals are identical to the Volvo 200. I have seen a couple of Chrysler emblems on out drives also. I never paid much attention to this stuff back then, I was working and driving the 16 every day I could. one summer I worked nights from 5 to 1:00 am. and played everyday in the boat life was good, gas was cheap.

BigGrizzly
10-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Matty just read your reply, yes but mine does not have the forward of the hand rail light only the stern anchor/running light. My Corsican did have the international lighting and the Criterion still does and will stay that way. Seems there was very little consistency in this, maybe because of where they were shipped ie inland lakes std lighting and coastal waters international lighting, just a guess.

mattyboy
10-30-2008, 09:24 AM
for your further purusal please note on the aformentioned boat the lack of clamshell vents or any other vents on the deck so the rear louvre must be functional and there must be a floor vent in the rear seat not only am I pre law and pre med but I stayed at a holiday inn express last night :tongue: let me not forget the motley crue double dots on the volvo drive

BigGrizzly
10-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Matty, ours has the vent in the back seat also. that picture you posted I beleive is the 4 cylinder one that was raced-maybe Windmill

mattyboy
10-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Griz mine did too

mattyboy
10-30-2008, 02:38 PM
I guess my point here guys is just take a moment

Cliff your hull is an early one 20 something it came with an eaton but it also came with the triangular dash cutout like mine
this one has the same cutout and dash as hull number 2 or 3

anyone with a hole saw and a brochure can cut holes in the deck, someone might not have had the right model blower for the rear louvre if it broke and someone might have said well this is what they do it now and put in the 4 vents, or during a restoration someone said well all the Donzi i see have 4 clamshells, or some motor head could have said that there motor needs more air and put them in

BUT NO ONE WOULD REMOVE THE LOUVRE AND DRILL HOLES BACK THERE ( not even the likes of me) it was done at the factory just like Cliffs boat was
Griz's 66 didn't have those holes nor did my 67
this is no higher than a double digit hull number could even possibly be a single digit hull number

cutwater
10-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Matty -

I do not believe this was originally an Eaton boat - look at the dash panel. On the bottom below the Chrysler gauges it says "Volvo Penta." Plus it is missing the triangle pattern bolts. However from Brownie's previous writings the early 16's had either 260 Ford/Eaton or 4 Cyl/Volvo packages. This could have been a 4 cylinder???

In my view you are right, there are a few things that indicate this is an early number:

- Just like my Ski Sporter (Eaton drive), this boat also has the functional rear louvered vent...
- Also like mine, there is not a white masthead light...
- The dash panel DOES look like the earliest dashes...
- This boat WAS originally white...

BERTRAM BOY
10-30-2008, 05:00 PM
I guess someone could email the guy and ask if there is a hull number.

cutwater
10-30-2008, 05:04 PM
I guess someone could email the guy and ask if there is a hull number.

Way too easy!!

mattyboy
10-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Cut,

yes the old eatons had the 3 bolts but not all eatons were like that. as griz said when they went to internal shift cables they were basically eaton badged volvo drives Brownie also recalled going to the the jax boat show( i think it was Jax) with one of the first 16 all white with a blue stripe it was a 4 cyl volvo and Carl and the boys at Merc tried to have him stop in Lake X on the way back to have a look see at the new i/o damn near bribed him well i guess they did bribe him ;)

cutwater
10-30-2008, 07:23 PM
This is all great info. Thanks Matty

mattyboy
10-30-2008, 09:56 PM
got a question guys when did they come out with the center riser exhaust manifold , Judge can you direct the witness to answer the question, are you sure this is a 4 or 6 cyl motor??? the more I look the more I am puzzled perhaps we should ask for serial number on the volvo drive too

mattyboy
10-30-2008, 10:06 PM
ok I can't take it anymore i have dropped enuff "my cousin vinny" hints look at the engine serial number again think the movie what would be the significance of the numbers on the plate 13726548 ??????

mattyboy
10-31-2008, 08:45 AM
bueller?? Bueller??

fogducker III
10-31-2008, 11:42 AM
This is the reply I got back from the seller when I asked for numbers....

Quote:

HI - I WILL CHEKC FOR BOTH , BUT I BELIEVE THE PLATE THAT WAS UNDER THE GIMBLE IS THE ONE IN THE PHOTO.THE WAUKASHAU PLATE. I WILL CHEKC FOR THE HULL IDENTIFICTAION NUMBERS BUT I DONT BELEIVE THERE ARE ANY. I KNOW THAT MY UNCLE WAS THE ORIGINAL OWNER OF THIS DONZI AND I USED TO RIDE WITH IN 1971 AS A KID. IT ORIGINALLY CAME A WITH A VOLVO PENTA 6 CYL AND THAT WAS REMOVED AND A 351 WAS INSTALLED AND THAT WAS THE LAST MOTOR IN IT. THE OUTBOARD IS THE ORIGINAL VOLVO PENTA OUT OUTBOARD. WHEN I DISASSEMBLED IT, I HAD ALL THE HARDWARE BUT IT LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE HAS HELPED THEMSELVES TO SOME OF IT. 3 OF THE CHROME AIR INTAKE MANIFOLDS, ONE CHROME EXHAUST PORT AND THE CHROME 4 STARS , 2 FROM EACH SIDE. IF THE NUMBERS ARE IN THE HULL ITSELF , IT MAY HAVE BEEN FILLED IN WHEN I PAINTED IT WITH RED MATTALIC PAINT ,JUST BEFORE I TOOK IT TO FLORDIA STATE IN 1986.I WILL CHECK. I HAVE HAD MANY OFFERS TO BUY THIS BOAT OVER THE YEARS FROM DIFFERNET MEMBERS OF THE DONZI REGISTRY. IF IT DOES NOT SELL ON EBAY ,I WILL LIST IT WITH THE REGISTRY AND I CAN PROMISE YOU IT WILL SELL.I HAD A MECHANIC FROM THE ORIGINAL DONZI FACTORY IN NORTH MIAMI FLORIDA OFFER ME $8,000 FOR THE BOAT ,IN 1988,WHEN IT WAS RUNNING AND TOGETHER IN FLORIDA. WE TOOK IT FROM TALAHASSEE TO NTH MIAMI AND HE STOPPED ME ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AND MADE ME THE OFFER, SO IT SELLING AND BEING AN ORIGINAL DONZI IS NO QUESTION IN MY MIND. IT HAD THE ORIGINAL DONZI COLORS/STRIP AND IDENTIFICATION AND STICKERS WHEN I WAS GIVEN THE BOAT, BY MY UNCLE ,BUT I LOST THE ORIGINAL PAPER WORK IN FLORIDA AT COLLEGE BEFORE I KNEW OR CARED WHAT I HAD. THE BOAT HAS BEEN REGISTERED IN FLORIDA AND MARYLAND.I WILL EMAIL YOU IN A FEW HOURS WHN I CAN GET A CHANCE TO GO HOEM AND CHECK IT OUT. THANKS , LAURENCE C CHANEY~CHANEYBOY

mattyboy
10-31-2008, 12:36 PM
the defense rests, now for everyone in the class that was a sleep at the switch it was an early volvo 6cyl boat and the waukesha plate was added when the 8 cyl went in hence the exhaust manifolds in the picture and the numbers on the plate "13726548" which is what????

yes the firing order of the waukesha motor

fogducker III
10-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Now the guy posts me this:

Hi , Just spoke with my uncle , the one who gave me the boat. He said that it was originally red and had a 4cyl. motor in it. he was told that the boat was an early 1965 barrelback.The gimble number on the volvo penta outdrive are PZ NR 2712831 B. Hope this helps. thanks, laurence C Chaney~chaneyboy

I don't think he knows what the hell he has..??

cutwater
10-31-2008, 02:20 PM
Well, that certainly seems to fit with what Brownie has written - the earliest were V8 Ford/Eatons and 4Cyl/Volvos.

Although the chipping paint makes it obvious that it was originally white... :confused: Maybe he meant a red stripe?

chappy
10-31-2008, 02:22 PM
He's reading all of these posts, only as a guest.:kingme:

mattyboy
10-31-2008, 03:48 PM
not the original drive probably put on when the v 8 went in as the lower would have needed a change anyway

sweet 16 1966
11-01-2008, 07:59 AM
Reading all this makes me understand how old my 16 is. It has no vents and had an Eaton outdrive when I bought it in 1980. Back seat vent, rear international lighting with functional louver. Boat is red also. I also have another 1965 hull but found no numbers on either one over the years. Reading this is encouraging me to put mine back together. The most fun I had in a boat was in the 16. Oh the hours and the miles put on brings back memories- not as far back as Grizz though.
The old 16"s- What a great boat boat to restore and run! A drivers boat!
Keep the comments coming! Matty, did you sell yours?

BigGrizzly
11-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Matty you are correct there is not an adapter plate to swap the 4 with an 8. He probably got a Mack Boring engine and drive package and upgraded it. It would have been a nice piece with the stock setup.

mattyboy
11-02-2008, 08:02 AM
guys i just had a thought, i was re reading Michael's book last nite see i can read now cause i can see with my new glasses and i was reading his account of the test drive of the new 16 a 4 cyl volvo and how Don was running it hard and jumping wakes and he had no place to hold on and wound up holding on to the driver seat pedistal pleading for him to slow down, then when his Dad gave him the wheel he promptly returned the favor ;) . the story how the grab rail came into being. look at the 16 i posted could that have bben the boat Michael and his dad were in it doesn't have a grab rail???

sweet66 yes i sold mine WTF was i thinkin

boldts
11-02-2008, 10:14 AM
One day on my way to dinner, I got a call on my cell from a guy who said he had an original 16' Donzi from 1965 boat show. He told me there was a red one and a blue one at the show. Don Aronow was at the show and it was the introduction of the 16 to the world. Now maybe by red and blue, he meant the stripes on the boats. Its been years and I don't remember all of the conversation anymore.

Anywhooooooo, both the boats at the show went home with him. However, I remember him telling me the red one was destroyed in either a fire or hurricane maybe and I believe the boats were in Louisiana at the time? So just by the process of elimination, there is or was a 1965 blue and white 16 out there in the world somewhere. Hope it hasn't been destroyed also........Good luck gentlemen finding that boat.

One of the neatest rides in a Donzi Classic I had the pleasure of experiencing was Sam's 30th Anny 16 Classic. OMG give me something to hang on to! LOL Oh thats right I was hanging on to the bottom of the seat. Thank God for his 16 having the 2 buckets and not the slide to the back L bench.....LMAO What a trip!

Greg Guimond
10-02-2018, 08:51 AM
One day on my way to dinner, I got a call on my cell from a guy who said he had an original 16' Donzi from 1965 boat show. He told me there was a red one and a blue one at the show. Don Aronow was at the show and it was the introduction of the 16 to the world. Now maybe by red and blue, he meant the stripes on the boats. Its been years and I don't remember all of the conversation anymore.

Anywhooooooo, both the boats at the show went home with him. However, I remember him telling me the red one was destroyed in either a fire or hurricane maybe and I believe the boats were in Louisiana at the time? So just by the process of elimination, there is or was a 1965 blue and white 16 out there in the world somewhere. Hope it hasn't been destroyed also........Good luck gentlemen finding that boat.

One of the neatest rides in a Donzi Classic I had the pleasure of experiencing was Sam's 30th Anny 16 Classic. OMG give me something to hang on to! LOL Oh thats right I was hanging on to the bottom of the seat. Thank God for his 16 having the 2 buckets and not the slide to the back L bench.....LMAO What a trip!

You tell 'em Scott :eek: