PDA

View Full Version : Jefe's Revenge is getting a new house

Team Jefe
10-28-2008, 10:12 PM
well the time has come to getg things started on the new home for the Revenge. things have been delayed for various reasons, but now is the time. I have attached some pics of the process.

1. the yard right after IKE...saved me having to take the fence down.
2. New gate..partially done.
3. Layout of the area, bordered by timbers the pad will be roughly 80 X 24 X6" deep. the "Cuts" you see are where the sod cuttter blade ran...that is a cool little machine. We'll move the sod to another area of the yard where I need some build up.

Calcium Sulfate is my most favoritest material, and what we used in Pearland for that pad....Great stuff.

More pics to come, this weekend Dad is bringing the tractor and the material is coming Friday....another busy weekend:nilly:

onesubdrvr
10-28-2008, 10:15 PM
well the time has come to getg things started on the new home for the Revenge. things have been delayed for various reasons, but now is the time. I have attached some pics of the process.

1. the yard right after IKE...saved me having to take the fence down.
2. New gate..partially done.
3. Layout of the area, bordered by timbers the pad will be roughly 80 X 24 X6" deep. the "Cuts" you see are where the sod cuttter blade ran...that is a cool little machine. We'll move the sod to another area of the yard where I need some build up.

Calcium Sulfate is my most favoritest material, and what we used in Pearland for that pad....Great stuff.

More pics to come, this weekend Dad is bringing the tractor and the material is coming Friday....another busy weekend:nilly:
NICE amigo,... very nice!!

I hate to say it,.... but it'll look better with the boat on it lol :kingme:

See 'ya soon!
Wayne

Team Jefe
10-29-2008, 06:11 AM
Yeah, the plan is...when its finished, you won't see the boat at all. She'll be snuggly tucked into her building.

I keep calling it a building, its really a Great Big Tent that is 14 X 14 X 45. Steel frame with canvas covering. The thing was designed for the Northern guys to cover big motor homes in the winter time.

Of course I plan to make it more permanent and if it makes it thru next Hurricane season then it will have paid for itself.

onesubdrvr
10-29-2008, 06:16 AM
Jefe,

Just wondering if you plan on putting any anchors into the slab to use tie-downs to keep the boat in place in the even of a hurricane? I've seen it done with air compressors, and always thought it was a good idea.

It'll be great to be able to keep the wind / rain / leaves / etc. off of it.

Wayne

BUIZILLA
10-29-2008, 08:36 AM
fuzzy and I need a couple of those... :wink:

what's this calcium stuff??

any zoning issues?

gcarter
10-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Keep the economy rolling Jeff!!:boat::lookaroun:

cutwater
10-29-2008, 09:13 AM
I keep calling it a building, its really a Great Big Tent that is 14 X 14 X 45. Steel frame with canvas covering. The thing was designed for the Northern guys to cover big motor homes in the winter time.

Nice, where did you find the "building"?

mrfixxall
10-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Nice, where did you find the "building"?

If you look at the bottom of the pic some of the mfrs have their name on it..

this one reads acecanopy.

http://www.acecanopy.com/?ovchn=GGL&ovcpn=Ace+Canopy&ovcrn=acecanopy&ovtac=PPC&gclid=CIbNvqXSzJYCFQQCagodX302xw

cutwater
10-29-2008, 09:34 AM
If you look at the bottom of the pic some of the mfrs have their name on it..

this one reads acecanopy.

http://www.acecanopy.com/?ovchn=GGL&ovcpn=Ace+Canopy&ovcrn=acecanopy&ovtac=PPC&gclid=CIbNvqXSzJYCFQQCagodX302xw

Thanks!

Team Jefe
10-29-2008, 01:16 PM
I think the one I have is a King Canopy, really was looking at the size more so than the brand name. We shopped them for several months. Renee actually found the one I have and it was on sale for $2299??? less than $2500 with free shipping. I wanted a pretty heavy duty one, so this is snow laod rated, don;t remember the number but it was pretty good. It came on three pallets stacked about 3ft high each...I guessinig around 250,000 pieces:boggled:.

Wayne - yeah, I will be anchorinig everything. The one we used in Pearland (same size just no sides, front or back), I anchored in 6 places using Mobile Home Auger anchors. I also screwed each joint together on the smaller joints and bolted them together on the larger ones....I heard it survived IKE just fine. AND I plan to anchor this one even more.

As for the Revenge....she will be safely whisked away to my Dad's place in Coldspring to avoid any possibility of hurricane damage.

Fuzzy, Calcium Sulfate is road material used around here alot for tank yards and Chem.Plants. It looks like limestone to me and spreads like gravel. Once is is spread, I'll wet it and run a sled compactor over it so smooth out. Let is sit for a week or so and it hardens up like asphalt with a similar surface finish. Really cool, and the whole thing will cost less than $1500. Plus though it is hard, it is still porous, so water run's through it. I can flush the boat, wash it, whatever... and the water just disappears. The "Brand" I am getting from Gulf States Materials is called "T-100 screened".

txtaz
10-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Good for you Jefe,

AND just think with today's gas prices you can fill the Revenge and the truck.

Da Taz<---Wanna house in Colordo?

Team Jefe
10-29-2008, 08:04 PM
great idea, but the truck and boat take different fuels:frown:

Team Jefe
11-02-2008, 10:18 AM
The pad is done.....and it was a big chore...I am Sore:confused:

The first pics are of Friday moving the Sod, getting the forms ready. Dad's Phone was a casualty, but survived...LG makes a good phone.

Team Jefe
11-02-2008, 10:25 AM
The delivery was supposed to be at 1500. No show, I called, they then sent 40 of the 60 tons I ordered....No more available until Monday...So I got screwed. We had to make it work since its going to rain before next weekend. And the ground was still wet under the sod...even though it hasn't rained here in a feew weeks. So we did the best we could with the 40 tons. It actually went further than I thought it would, but still the area to the right of the power pole is very thin. 2-3 inches MAX.

Oh and Dad on one of his many breaks from the back-breaking labor of driving the tractor:wink:

Team Jefe
11-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Sat. morning we got the sled compactor and went to work finishing the pad. It did not finish nearly as nice as the one in Pearland. I think because it was so thin and the ground damp, the material just sank into the ground and never really firmed up. every time we went over it, it just went deeper and deeper. I say we have 5-7 in Max in the main part of the pad. More than enough, when it hardens up, but we had 10-18 inches thick in Pearland and it worked allot better. Lesson Learned for the future or anyone else who wants to do this.

Team Jefe
11-02-2008, 10:37 AM
All in all I think it will be OK for its intended use. There is one really low spot at the front left side. If you notice the "before" pics it is where the asphalt, concrete and yard come together. There has always been a low spot in the asphalt there. and I was not able to get wnough Calcium Sulfate thicknees to "set" and fill it in. SO I'll need to get some asphalt patch material and try to make that work. I knew that was going to be a prblematic spot.

onesubdrvr
11-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Jefe,

Looking good amigo,...... I'm sure it's not up to all of your standards, but I'm sure (like you said) it'll work just fine ;)

Can't wait to see it when it's done, with the Revenge there!!

Wayne

Team Jefe
11-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Me too Bubba. I have a feeling I have done the easy part....this "tent" looks pretty daunting.....Hopefully I'm wrong about that.