PDA

View Full Version : Donzi decals/markings?

fogducker III
10-28-2008, 10:29 AM
On a couple of occasions I have seen decals on Donzis', usually older models, with the British Flag (Union Jack I believe) instead of the US markings. Can anybody enlighten me? Thanks.

Lenny
10-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Either or.

The Union Jack represented Nassau Bahamas, which was part of the British Empire at the time, it all changed in 1973 when they were granted their independence, That is also when Donzi changed the flag to the lion/ dolphin.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2498835.stm

1973: Bahamas' sun sets on British Empire
Prince Charles has enjoyed the Bahamas' last day as a British colony.
He hosted a formal reception at Government House, Nassau, last night for dignitaries from 52 countries overseeing the end of over 300 years of British sovereignty.

As the Queen's representative, Prince Charles arrived yesterday on the frigate Minerva, on which he is serving.

Just before midnight tonight (0400 GMT) he will witness the final lowering of the Union Jack on hills overlooking Nassau harbour in a ceremony to be replicated on all 22 of the inhabited Bahamian islands.

You could get both flags on a hullside up till then.

fogducker III
10-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks Lenny, that sort of explains it for me.? What did Donzi have to do with the Bahamas? I thought they were made in Florida?

Marlin275
10-28-2008, 12:19 PM
The first international races for Donzi were from Miami to Nassau.
That is the best version I have heard for the flags.

fogducker III
10-28-2008, 12:21 PM
The first international races were from Miami to Nassau.
That is the best version I have heard for the flags.

Ah ha..........:wink:

mattyboy
11-02-2008, 08:28 AM
the swedish flag was also available it was a symbol of countries in which races were won

US races miami nassau long island

British Both in England and the Bahamas races cowes nassau miami

Sweden race named loppingnet or something like that

and they disappeared from the boats around 72 ish or so after donzi was out of the race game which is also around the time of full Chisholm ownership when the griffin and dolphin logo appeared

which is different from the race boats they had the flag of the country they represented, but the production boats had the flag of the country in which they were victorious a sudo militaristic custom a "captured" flag so to speak