PDA

View Full Version : Adding to the fleet!

mphatc
10-26-2008, 03:41 PM
I can't post this in other threads or forums as it's not a Donzi :wink:
But it is true to the heritage of an Aronow design .. .
I bought a Magnum 27 . . . it will need a lot .. it's been in storage for 11 years, I refer to call that "out of use".
My Corsican, don't ask , IT IS NOT FOR SALE . .:) It is now sorted out . . and will continue to be my baby . . .my son has big eyes for it . . and eyes is all he can have . . :biggrin.:
Once I take delivery of the boat I'll post some pics . . .with any luck I do hope to launch and run it before Winni freezes this year, I'll be doing that with two boats, my Boston Whaler as a tow boat .. . :yes:
Linda doesn't know that I've done this . . but she is tired of the challenges the Corsican has given me, and really desires a boat that can handle rough water . . . this boat will do that, just as long as I can get it together in time for next summer . . :crossfing::crossfing:
Mario L.

jl1962
10-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Very cool. Good luck! Post some pictures.

mphatc
10-26-2008, 08:43 PM
:bonk::bonk::bonk::nilly::nilly::nilly::eek::eek:: eek:
NO
Chevy 350s
Mario

superhatz
10-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Did someone say "rough water boat"....?

:)

Conquistador_del_mar
10-26-2008, 10:10 PM
I can't post this in other threads or forums as it's not a Donzi :wink:
But it is true to the heritage of an Aronow design .. .
I bought a Magnum 27 . . . it will need a lot .. it's been in storage for 11 years, I refer to call that "out of use".
My Corsican, don't ask , IT IS NOT FOR SALE . .:) It is now sorted out . . and will continue to be my baby . . .my son has big eyes for it . . and eyes is all he can have . . :biggrin.:
Once I take delivery of the boat I'll post some pics . . .with any luck I do hope to launch and run it before Winni freezes this year, I'll be doing that with two boats, my Boston Whaler as a tow boat .. . :yes:
Linda doesn't know that I've done this . . but she is tired of the challenges the Corsican has given me, and really desires a boat that can handle rough water . . . this boat will do that, just as long as I can get it together in time for next summer . . :crossfing::crossfing:
Mario L.

Mario,
Did you buy the "Sudden Impulse" Magnum Maltese or something else? It sounded like the boat you might have bought with twin 350s and out of service for that period of time. You weren't kidding when you said you wanted one - lol. Bill

mphatc
10-27-2008, 06:39 AM
Yes that's the one . . .I went and did an inspection . had lengthy conversations with the seller . . enough to give me comfort . .

Mario

olredalert
10-27-2008, 09:11 AM
-----Congrats, Mario!!! Now I will have to look for your posts on OSO in the Magnum section. Lets get going on the pics part as I know Im not the only one interested........Bill S

mphatc
10-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Pictures as soon as I can, I'm more itchy than you can imagine!
it is a 1972 Magnum 27 with the vee windshield . . below is the picture from the Ebay auction.
Mario

MOP
10-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Glad you finally fessed up! I was biting my tongue! Show Linda "superhatz" post a testimonial! Looking forward to you report on the mechanical's.

Phil

mphatc
10-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Phil,

I have not yet fessed up to Linda !!. . . don't get me in trouble ! :wink: . . .I want to see how long before she figures it out :cool:. . .I figure if I invite her for a day of boating and she meets me at the dock and I don't have the Corsican she'll just smile . . :crossfing:

Mario

MOP
10-27-2008, 02:53 PM
You have a long cold winter ahead, keep pointing at similar boats sayin thats what I need for my "HONEY"!!!!!!!!

HIGH LIFE
10-28-2008, 03:31 PM
mphatc, Congradulation for buying another Aronow creation!!! We'll have to get together and hit the rough water. HIGH LIFE

cutwater
10-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Oh man you guys are putting the pressure on me... I need a Magnum!! Congrats Mario we're all jealous!

mphatc
10-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Cutwater, no need to be jealous . . like Phil said . . I have a long cold winter ahead, with lots to do!!!
Picked her up today, pouring rain all day, and I get to within 1/2 mile of the yard and the clouds break, the sun comes out . . I comment to by passenger/ employee that this is a good omen . . we hitch up, plug in the lights, they all work after 11 years of sitting . .the tires on the trailer hold air . . pass papers and a bit of cash and we trailer 80 miles home with out an incident . .
It's dark, but I can't resist, I cut open the shrink wrap, as I've never even been inside it . . it a F*#kn mess, bird turds, chewed up upholstery which I knew about, and a few other treats. The engine hatch pad is intact as the canvas cover sagged onto that and kept the rodents off it . . open the engine hatch, and there are 2 Corvette 350 Hp 350 cu in engines, a bit dirty but not all rusty! I expected a corroded and rusty mess . . new carbs, and the seller told me that they had only 50 hours use when the boat was parked . below decks there are 8 new life jackets still in plastic wrappers, bumpers, and a VHF radio . . large High speed compass is intact and working . .
This is a 1968 built boat, was bright yellow and was custom built for the original Toyota dealer / importer to the US.
I have few pics I'll down load tonight . .
Mario

BUIZILLA
10-28-2008, 05:10 PM
This is a 1968 built boat, was bright yellow and was custom built for the original Toyota dealer / importer to the US. Jim Moran??

McGary911
10-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Wow. One of my favorite boats ever. Can't wait to see the pics. Good luck with it.

mphatc
10-28-2008, 06:40 PM
here's the quick pics I took when we hitched up . . not much to see . .I'll have more tomorrow if it doesn't snow here in NH
Buizilla, It's not Jim Moran, this guy was from Boston . . I'll post the seller and ask him for the name again, and a bit more history.
Mario

boxy
10-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Jim Moran??
If it was Jim Moran's boat wouldn't it be a copper color, or did they come later?
I sort of remember a copper colored offshore beside some of the Gallant Lady's on A1A, is that right?

PS: Great looking Magnum Mario.

BUIZILLA
10-28-2008, 07:09 PM
boxman, I have no clue if Jim Moran even had one, the Toyota nema popped up and he litterally owns Toyota in more states than I think I have fingers..

BUIZILLA
10-28-2008, 07:09 PM
boxman, I have no clue if Jim Moran even had one, the Toyota name popped up and he litterally owns Toyota in more states than I think I have fingers..

boxy
10-28-2008, 07:15 PM
boxman, I have no clue if Jim Moran even had one, the Toyota name popped up and he litterally owns Toyota in more states than I think I have fingers..

I know he was the original Importer of Toyotas in the Southern States, and I thought he used to keep his boat on the Intercoastal between Deerfield and Fort Lauderdale. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought there used to be an offshore called Copper Kettle (??) on a lift near there.....

Fuzzy, any thoughts???

mphatc
10-28-2008, 07:20 PM
I too recall Copper Kettle . . but belie ve that was a Cig or a Cary

Mario

BUIZILLA
10-28-2008, 07:21 PM
I think Aaron has a pic of Copper Kettle?

if not Lucky Strike on OSO for sure does, I know i've seen the pic's over there...

mphatc
10-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Correction

Copper Kettle was Bertram 38

Mario

boxy
10-28-2008, 08:42 PM
That makes sense Mario. One of the articles I found on Jim Moran mentioned him having a Bertram 38.

"Moran acquired his first boat, a 19-foot Chris-Craft, in the 1940’s. "She was a beauty," he fondly recalled for us. In the decades that followed, he bought more and larger models from Chris-Craft, Pacemaker, Burger, Scarab, Bertram, Hatteras, Donzi ("I bought Donzis by the truckload," he said), Sea Ray, Rybovich, and others."

Full article ..... http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/megayachts/jim-moran-gallant-lady/

I think his house would have been just North of the Hillsboro Inlet, beach front house, intercoastal dock, split by A1A.

boxy
10-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Mario, sorry to hijack your thread, maybe Scott can start a new one for us with the Moran stuff.....

I just found this old Sports illustrated article with a reference to Copper Kettle.
Maybe it wasn't Moran's boat, but it was sure on a lift near his house.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1091381/1/index.htm

cutwater
10-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Mario, sorry to hijack your thread, maybe Scott can start a new one for us with the Moran stuff.....

I just found this old Sports illustrated article with a reference to Copper Kettle.
Maybe it wasn't Moran's boat, but it was sure on a lift near his house.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1091381/1/index.htm

Man! Seems like every article I've ever read about classic race boats, the winner was whoever's boat held together more than the other guys!

superhatz
10-28-2008, 09:43 PM
There was a "Copper Kettle" Cig too.....a 36, if I remember right.

smidgen too
10-29-2008, 12:37 AM
There was a "Copper Kettle" Cig too.....a 36, if I remember right.

There was at least 4 Copper Kettle's, a Cig, Bertram,Gara, and even a CC XK. This Gara was a wooden plug made into a race boat. The Gara sank on its test run in Lake Erie around 1975.

superhatz
10-29-2008, 12:54 AM
There was at least 4 Copper Kettle's, a Cig, Bertram,Gara, and even a CC XK. This Gara was a wooden plug made into a race boat. The Gara sank on its test run in Lake Erie around 1975.

I bow to the master!.....:worthy:

superhatz
10-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Mario...drop the wrenches and pick up that camera!.....:)

cutwater
10-29-2008, 04:48 PM

I found a few more...

smidgen too
10-30-2008, 12:38 AM
I bow to the master!.....:worthy:
Aaron you have more Magnum pic's,, you da man.

superhatz
10-30-2008, 12:52 AM
Aaron you have more Magnum pic's,, you da man.

Yeah but I stole most of them from you.....:wink:

mphatc
10-30-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm not sure you're all ready for this .
I've got some serious cleaning to do . . .real serious! Fortunately everything has been dry . . .
Mario . . edging on feeling overwhelmed!

mphatc
10-30-2008, 07:05 PM
it gets worse
Mario

mphatc
10-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Not all is gross!
Mario

superhatz
10-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Are those turds!.....:shocking:

Has the deck inlay been filled in?.....?

mphatc
10-30-2008, 08:12 PM
yes those are turds . . . thank fully only on deck and ahead of the instruments

Where the wood would be there is an outline that is visible, but I haven't been on the deck and looked if this was filled or what . . there's also a rectangular outline ahead of the windshield
The boat is a 1968 build, and from what I was told it was built custom for the original owner, "to go fast" , maybe the wood inlay was never done?

Did this wood get installed in a recessed area?

the interior was at one time all full bulkheads open in the middle . .some one cut open the front bulkhead, and one was removed at the front of the fuel tanks . .

what is normally in a Sport Magnum below deck?

Fuel tanks, there's two of them, just in front of the companionway door, isd this standard location . . would the boat be better balanced with them further aft, like under the cockpit . . I'm thinking ATL cells in the compartments under the cockpit floor

Sunday I'll unwrap her and clean and clean some more.

The seat pedastals . . how do they work, are they hydraulic . . I can't see how they adjust?
unlike my Donzi, I can't find any signs of stress in the hull . . even inside all the bulkheads are secure at the edges

then we'll see if the engines turn over . .

Mario . .

BlownCrewCab
10-30-2008, 08:18 PM

If your talkin about Sandy Satulo's Copper Kettle's There was also a 44' tempest, around 1985. I think I have a pic in my scrap book somewhere.

superhatz
10-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Mario...yes there was a recess where the inlay would go. It's about 6mm deep and it sounds like someone filled it in.

1968 would be a VERY early boat. See if you can find the hull number written under the dash or anywhere else.

Below decks is just a "berth"....a couple a pads.

cutwater
10-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Mario -

Do you plan to upgrade the gauges? If so, let me know. I might be interested in the older ones.

Thanks,
John

Conquistador_del_mar
10-31-2008, 12:43 AM
Mario -

Do you plan to upgrade the gauges? If so, let me know. I might be interested in the older ones.

Thanks,
John

John,
Those look like Stewart Warner gauges - except the tachs. You are welcome to my old ones from my 1971 Donzi project. They should all work and are not that bad - including the tachometer - all Stewart Warner. Just let me know. Bill

HIGH LIFE
11-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Boat reminds me of a friends boat--a family of racoons spent the winter in it--a total mess!!!! After you clean up the boat and see what you might need to replace call me, I have some interesting VOLVO & MAGNUM parts. HIGH LIFE........mspirito2019@comcast.net

cutwater
11-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks Bill, here are the ones I'm trying to match (the ones with the stainless bezels).

I think they are the Teleflex Blue Line series?

http://donzi.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=251&d=1196455022

mphatc
11-02-2008, 07:48 AM
thank you HIGH LIFE! I will definetlety be in touch!

Finally found time to uncover the boat and do some cleaning. Washed the boat, cleaned out the turds, and did some more visual inspection.

As the owner stated the upholstery was brand new when stored, and I now believe this, as the unexposed areas, like the zippers are white and pristine clean as they were when new.

The windshield, now that I see the boat w/o the cover, it is ugly, and will have to be replaced with something more becoming of the lines . . The deck inlay, yes Superhatz, it's been filled, and that will have to be corrected . . but I'll wait till you figure out the proper finishing system ;-)

The bottom was painted in Graphite . . and this will either have to be stripped and redone in another color, or I need to find a color scheme that works with a black bottom. I prefer the latter, as the boat will be on a mooring. But I am very partial to white or light colored bottoms . . I'd love some thoughts and ideas.

Considering the boat was a salt water use boat, the drives have no corrosion, making me thing that this boat was never left in the water for extended periods.

All chrome on deck needs to be replated except for the polished SS cleats.

Today I'll see if I have engines that will run . . . after a visit to church and a few prayers . . :crossfing::worthy:

Mario

BUIZILLA
11-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Today I'll see if I have engines that will run . . . after a visit to church and a few prayers . . :crossfing::worthy: Mariosooo, the wife knows now and your praying for forgiveness? :shocking: or mercy ? :kingme:

smidgen too
11-02-2008, 09:11 AM
thank you HIGH LIFE! I will definetlety be in touch!

Finally found time to uncover the boat and do some cleaning. Washed the boat, cleaned out the turds, and did some more visual inspection.

As the owner stated the upholstery was brand new when stored, and I now believe this, as the unexposed areas, like the zippers are white and pristine clean as they were when new.

The windshield, now that I see the boat w/o the cover, it is ugly, and will have to be replaced with something more becoming of the lines . . The deck inlay, yes Superhatz, it's been filled, and that will have to be corrected . . but I'll wait till you figure out the proper finishing system ;-)

The bottom was painted in Graphite . . and this will either have to be stripped and redone in another color, or I need to find a color scheme that works with a black bottom. I prefer the latter, as the boat will be on a mooring. But I am very partial to white or light colored bottoms . . I'd love some thoughts and ideas.

Considering the boat was a salt water use boat, the drives have no corrosion, making me thing that this boat was never left in the water for extended periods.

All chrome on deck needs to be replated except for the polished SS cleats.

Today I'll see if I have engines that will run . . . after a visit to church and a few prayers . . :crossfing::worthy:

Mario
Here is a pointed windshield Mag that rocked back in the day,1972-73. To race all they had to do was take out the glass. And another one from Lake St Clair that removed the windshield, and added a fairing.

mphatc
11-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Linda knows nothing . . !
:crossfing::crossfing::crossfing::crossfing:
Mario

ChristopherL
11-12-2008, 09:17 AM
My Corsican, don't ask , IT IS NOT FOR SALE . .http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif It is now sorted out . . and will continue to be my baby . . .my son has big eyes for it . . and eyes is all he can have . . http://www.donzi.net/ubb/graemlins/biggrin.gif

Tisk Tisk Dad... You wouldn't want me to start leaving Magnum floating key chains or Magnum graphics around the house next time I come over would you??? :wink:

Such appreciation, especially after I climbed in and cleaned out this mess: :nilly::shades:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40067&d=1225411225

Besides... lets be honest, I can't take action shots of the Magnum @ speed from the whaler.... Really only leaves us with one logical solution.
:kingme::shades::nilly:
-CLL

mphatc
11-12-2008, 10:37 AM
go buy a helicopter . . . :wink:

Mario . . aka Dad

dsparis
11-13-2008, 04:14 PM
i grew up across from morans boats in lighthouse point. i believe the offshore youre talking about was a cary. a little bit north of his was a magnum sport fisherman with a donzi 16 on davits next to it.

HIGH LIFE
11-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Any pictures of DONZI on davits ??? I had a '75 MAGNUM 35 beam was 12'3", must be one of the big boats! HIGH LIFE

dsparis
11-14-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm sorry no pics. This was in 71 to 75. I went to a high school called palm cove beach school next to hillsborough inlet. I took my boat to school (1970 Banshee w/125 mercury,baddest outboard at the time) and would pass these fantastic boats. The magnum was in fact a 35 Sf in yellow. I'll never forget those two boats next to each other , what a combo. At the time my dad had a 44 Norseman with a tuna tower and I would ask him why we could'nt sell it and get a Magnum and Donzi like that. Got the Donzi now (18c). At the time there was a Maltese Magnum tunnel running around the area, but we never hooked up to race, I think he was scared. The banshee was fast once you got past the chine walk.